PDA

View Full Version : Packers Want Favre to Roll Out

motife
06-21-2007, 05:40 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/20/packers-want-favre-to-roll-out/#cont

When Bill Walsh and Joe Montana first turned the San Francisco 49ers into an offensive juggernaut in the early 1980s, the one aspect of Walsh's offense that set the 49ers apart from the rest of the league was the way he capitalized on Montana's mobility by rolling him out, letting him run toward the sidelines and scan the field before passing.

Walsh's offense has spread through the league to such a great extent that there's hardly any point in calling it the "West Coast Offense" or anything else anymore, because there's not a coach in the entire league who doesn't use at least some aspect of the Walsh system. The rollouts, however, haven't become an offensive staple as much as some other Walsh innovations -- especially the reliance on short passes -- have.

But now Green Bay Packers coach Mike McCarthy might be bringing the rollouts back. Bob Glauber reported this morning on ESPN2's First Take that McCarthy is planning to use rollouts more often this season, thinking Favre will have more time to pass and be more effective if he's getting out of the pocket more often.

There are questions, though, of whether the 37-year-old Favre still has the mobility necessary to get outside an opposing defensive end or outside linebacker, and whether he still has the arm strength necessary to throw across his body, which any quarterback who rolls out regularly has to do.

For that second question, I think the answer is a clear yes: Favre doesn't have quite the gun he once did, but he can still rifle the ball over the middle, even if he's doing it against the direction his body is already moving in. But as for his mobility, I'm a little skeptical. Favre doesn't have to be as mobile as Michael Vick to use rollouts properly, but he does have to have some spring in his step. If Favre can pull it off, McCarthy is wise to bring back to the Walsh-Montana rollouts, but that's a big "if."

Reader Comments

1. Hey, let Favre play but send him to Detroit instead. ROFL

Posted at 12:19PM on Jun 20th 2007 by Tery

2. Well, he's not going to make us forget Fran Tarkenton or Steve Young, or Vince Young for that matter. He won't be able to roll out three or four plays in a row, but I see no reason he can't roll out two or three times each quarter. That should give him time to recover his legs enough. Speaking of the Walsh offense, I'd also like to see the Packers throw more screen passes, especially against agressive defenses. They don't seem to throw as many as they used to throw.

Posted at 12:42PM on Jun 20th 2007 by Fred W. Brown

3. Fred Brown, who do you except them to use to catch short screen that open up the field? Maybe, Ferguson or Brandon Jackson but thats a lot to put on a rookie to run screens just for him.

Posted at 5:59PM on Jun 20th 2007 by Cubbiessosa

4. The Packers abandoned the rollout about 2003 or so when they looked over their game film and saw that a disproportionate amount of Favre's interceptions came on that play. As the QB rolls right, the usable portion of the field gets narrower and the QB has to exercise good judgement as to whether to throw it, run it, or get rid of it. Favre's no threat to run and rarely throws it away. Look for lots of forced interceptions here.......

Posted at 7:04AM on Jun 21st 2007 by Mark Q.

5. Nice post Mark Q.

Rollouts require the QB to be a threat to run. In the few years, we've seen Favre less and less likely to run. How often do we see him get up laughing when he runs for 2 yards. 2 yards per down means the punter better have a good leg.

packinpatland
06-21-2007, 06:07 PM
Somehow, I just don't see Favre running alot.

MJZiggy
06-21-2007, 06:19 PM
I do. Once that ankle heals, it's gonna feel better than it's felt in years...

Joemailman
06-21-2007, 06:34 PM
I like the idea of Favre rolling out. For one thing, it's virtually a necessity with zone blocking. The smaller interior linemen simply can't maintain the pocket long enough for the QB to be a strictly pocket passer. That's why Shanahan went out and got Plummer a few years ago after failing to find an adequate replacement for Elway. Cutler is also mobile. I also think Favre's throwing mechanics are better when he rolls out. He's not as prone to throwing off his back foot as when he is in the pocket. It will be up to the coaching staff to convince Brett to toss it out of bounds if a play is not there.

Bretsky
06-21-2007, 06:38 PM
I like the idea of Favre rolling out. For one thing, it's virtually a necessity with zone blocking. The smaller interior linemen simply can't maintain the pocket long enough for the QB to be a strictly pocket passer. That's why Shanahan went out and got Plummer a few years ago after failing to find an adequate replacement for Elway. Cutler is also mobile. I also think Favre's throwing mechanics are better when he rolls out. He's not as prone to throwing off his back foot as when he is in the pocket. It will be up to the coaching staff to convince Brett to toss it out of bounds if a play is not there.

I agree; Favre throws quite well on the move.

Plus, regardless of how kool aidy we want to be this OL still has a lot to improve on. Favre can often roll away from the oppositions top pass rusher and that can be by design. Overall it's a very good idea, as long as Favre doesn't start doing goofy things.

packinpatland
06-21-2007, 06:45 PM
Somehow, I just don't see Favre running alot.

Ok, I'm wrong. :?

Rastak
06-21-2007, 07:59 PM
What up Motife? Haven't seen you around for a while....

motife
06-21-2007, 08:30 PM
What up Motife? Haven't seen you around for a while....

hey Rastak... have been lurking... and involved in summer activities...

I was waiting for the "losing Moss" furor to die down.. :tup:

MJZiggy
06-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Good to see you back...

KYPack
06-21-2007, 09:11 PM
Some of the WC offense goes back to the days of Paul Brown. One play that every Brown disciple has in his book is a roll-out known as 'Sprint Right option".

Bill Waksh lifted this play and used it in his offense. That's the one that Otto Graham, Joe Montana, Steve Young and Brett run in the Red Zone. The QB rolls (Usually to the right) and can make the short flip to the Slot Reciever or the TE.

or, he keeps and runs it in. It's in outr playbook now, and has been since Unca Mikey came to town. Coach Mac will use Sprint Right Option and all the roll-out plays to give Brett some extra time and space.

To suggest this is some new wrinkle in naive or stupid, one or the other.

gbgary
06-22-2007, 11:04 PM
he's always rolled-out. some of his most memorable throws were during roll-outs.

BallHawk
06-23-2007, 08:29 AM
he's always rolled-out. some of his most memorable throws were during roll-outs.

Not all of those turned out for the best, but...... :wink:

In all seriousness, we'll see how much better Brett's ankle feels. I don't think it will make a HUGE difference, but it should help a little.

4and12to12and4
06-23-2007, 05:44 PM
I love the idea of MM designing more roll outs for Favre, and am excited that he is working on his core again. He was noticably quicker two years ago because of that conditioning, even though our record sucked, he seemed to have gained four years back in quickness and ability to throw on the run due to that conditioning. He was frustrated last offseason due to the record, and was thinking, "why bother with the training, what good did it do", but all who really paid attention to him recognized that he was better for it. I was very glad to hear that he is using this conditioning again, and I think that if we employ roll outs for him, even 7 or 8 plays a game, it will help the o-line, our running game, and much much more. He is one of, if not the greatest QB ever when he is rolling from the pocket and improvising. If his wideouts can be on the same page with him on these plays, it will enhance our offense immensly. I love the idea.