PDA

View Full Version : Paul Oliver (CB) Turns in Mediocre Workout

pbmax
06-21-2007, 11:24 PM
http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2007/06/20/georgia-cornerback-paul-oliver-turns-in-mediocre-workout-for-nfl/

Georgia Cornerback Paul Oliver Turns in Mediocre Workout for NFL Scouts
Posted Jun 20th 2007 7:56PM by Michael David Smith
Filed under: NFL Draft

Paul Oliver, the Georgia cornerback who left school before the spring semester, worked out for NFL scouts today in anticipation of the NFL supplemental draft. The results were not particularly encouraging.

DraftHeadquarters.com reports that Oliver ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.5-4.58 range and had a 33.5 inch vertical jump.Draft Headquarters sees Oliver as a second- or third-round pick, while RotoWorld is calling him likely no higher than a third rounder.

I was fairly high on Oliver, but I'm a little disappointed to learn that he can't break 4.5 in the 40. I don't think any team will use a 2008 first-day pick on him, and even the fourth round might be a stretch. Still, some team will take a shot on him in the July 13 supplemental draft, and he'll be in an NFL training camp in six weeks.

run pMc
06-22-2007, 09:37 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&leaguenum=&id=4492

"Georgia CB Paul Oliver measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Oliver was listed at 6-0/205 in college. From a measurables standpoint, Oliver doesn't appear likely to be a first-day supplemental draft selection."

"Had Oliver declared for April's draft as a junior instead of returning to Georgia then flunking out, it's expected that he would've been a second- or third-round pick. "

I think TT will pass. Here's why: the guy's an underclassman in danger of flunking out, not very fast (by CB standards), and a little on the short side. Eric Weddle shut down Calvin Johnson, and TT passed on him. There's no mention of GB showing interest, either.

Having said that, I wish we had better quality depth at CB. I feel very uneasy about the secondary.

The Leaper
06-22-2007, 10:30 AM
Doesn't sound like this kid has much to offer. He's dumb, short and not very fast.

As I've noted before...we have a load of people currently signed to the roster, so the only reason to add another is because you feel they are CLEARLY an upgrade over a current player who you view as a contributor.

I highly doubt this is a case of a clear upgrade.

Partial
06-22-2007, 11:03 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_previousnews.aspx?sport=NFL&leaguenum=&id=4492

"Georgia CB Paul Oliver measured 5-10 and 5/8 at his Pro Day Wednesday.

Oliver was listed at 6-0/205 in college. From a measurables standpoint, Oliver doesn't appear likely to be a first-day supplemental draft selection."

"Had Oliver declared for April's draft as a junior instead of returning to Georgia then flunking out, it's expected that he would've been a second- or third-round pick. "

I think TT will pass. Here's why: the guy's an underclassman in danger of flunking out, not very fast (by CB standards), and a little on the short side. Eric Weddle shut down Calvin Johnson, and TT passed on him. There's no mention of GB showing interest, either.

Having said that, I wish we had better quality depth at CB. I feel very uneasy about the secondary.

Dude where did TT pass on Weddle? I would say the more appropriate statement is San Diego reached on him or had him rated higher than most.

KYPack
06-22-2007, 03:59 PM
This might be the kind of guy to sign if he makes it thru the supplemental draft.

We all know TT won't burn a draft pick, but the kid seems talented, let's sign him if he doesn't cost a pick.

run pMc
06-24-2007, 05:32 PM
Dude where did TT pass on Weddle? I would say the more appropriate statement is San Diego reached on him or had him rated higher than most.

True...SD did reach on him. Poor choice of words on my part. My point was that Oliver wasn't the only guy who gave Calvin Johnson trouble in college.
Thanks for pointing that out though.