PDA

View Full Version : End of the season "blues"

GrnBay007
06-22-2007, 09:59 PM
Tonight was the last regular season game for my son's Little League. It's worse than the end of the season "blues" when the Packer season is over.

Such a bummer. #1 team (us) 19-1 played the #2 team tonight 18-2. We lost 6-3. Since we played each team 3x this season and the #2 team won 2 of the 3 games against us, they took 1st place in the league. The kids all got a nice individual trophy for #2.

On to the end of the season tournament next week! :D I'm thinking tonight's loss will pump them up to take 1st in the tourney.

Sounds crazy, but I'm gonna miss going to baseball practice/games 4x a week.

MadtownPacker
06-22-2007, 10:30 PM
19-1 is nothing to be ashamed of. Tell your boy I said congrats on a great season.

GrnBay007
06-22-2007, 10:47 PM
19-1 is nothing to be ashamed of. Tell your boy I said congrats on a great season.

I will. :D Thanks Mad.

Funny. I don't think I ever watched a whole baseball game till my kid started playing. Now I love it. Each year it gets better as they become more competitive.

oregonpackfan
06-22-2007, 11:11 PM
Tonight was the last regular season game for my son's Little League. It's worse than the end of the season "blues" when the Packer season is over.

Sounds crazy, but I'm gonna miss going to baseball practice/games 4x a week.

GrnBay 007,

I share the end of the season blues with you. As parent, I truly enjoyed meeting all the wonderful parents associated with organized sports. Sure there were a couple of "Bad apple" parents, but the overwhelming majority of them were good people I would not have had the pleasure to meet had not my daughters been involved in organized sports.

I had the opportunity to serve as a parent, coach, Field Maintenance Coordinator, and Softball Board member. They were enriching and memorable experiences for me.

It was like a blow to my gut when my youngest daughter at age 10 announced she no longer wanted to participate in organized sports but wanted to devote her pursuits to horses. As a parent, I wanted to respect her wishes but the selfish part of me wanted her to continue in sports so that I could continue those social contacts.

I have reconciled myself to being grateful for the opportunity to have experienced those special times of your children participating in sports. As Beatles George Harrison once titled one of his albums "All Things Must Pass."

Enjoy and appreciate those parental moments now because there will be one time they will be just memories.

GrnBay007
06-22-2007, 11:25 PM
It was like a blow to my gut when my youngest daughter at age 10 announced she no longer wanted to participate in organized sports but wanted to devote her pursuits to horses. As a parent, I wanted to respect her wishes but the selfish part of me wanted her to continue in sports so that I could continue those social contacts.
Funny you mention that. The secretary at work asked me just today...what are you going to do if he ever decides he doesn't want to play sports? After giving her a blank stare...as in what are you talking about? I answered, what do you think? bribe him and take him to see a shrink. lol j/k, of course. :P

Enjoy and appreciate those parental moments now because there will be one time they will be just memories.

I sure do....every moment! I had a great reminder just this week. My older brother went to one of my son's games. He mentioned it seemed like yesterday his 3 boys were playing ball and he was coaching and how much he missed that time of his life.

And yes, the bad apples (parents) get all the attention when it comes to stories and headlines.....but there really are a lot of great parents out there supporting ALL the kids on the team and it's great meeting them and talking to them.

BallHawk
06-23-2007, 08:17 AM

Every consider changing your name to "Soccer Mom" Rat? :D :D

GrnBay007
06-23-2007, 10:39 AM
Every consider changing your name to "Soccer Mom" Rat?
:shock: :shock: :shock:

He plays baseball and football. :P

packinpatland
06-23-2007, 11:59 AM
I bitched and moaned for 8 years.......high school and college, that my daughter played field hockey.
Fall rolls around now and I think 'what was I complaining about?'
Enjoy every single moment, and then wait for the grandkids. :wink:

Joemailman
06-23-2007, 12:56 PM

Does your son have one of these?

http://customink.com/cink/r.jsp?E=joemailman25@verizon.net&F=packerrat

packinpatland
06-23-2007, 05:14 PM
Do you have permission to use this logo????????
:lol:

GrnBay007
06-23-2007, 06:30 PM

Does your son have one of these?

http://customink.com/cink/r.jsp?E=joemailman25@verizon.net&F=packerrat

LOL Too Funny!!

Can't wait to show that to my son.

GrnBay007
06-23-2007, 10:48 PM
I bitched and moaned for 8 years.......high school and college, that my daughter played field hockey.
Fall rolls around now and I think 'what was I complaining about?'
Enjoy every single moment, and then wait for the grandkids. :wink:

I really do enjoy it all. September is the worst month for us. Daughter plays volleyball and son plays football. Last year there was 1 day during the entire month of Sept. that we had no practice or game. My son's Pop Warner football games are on Sunday.....why they did that I will never know. Practice on Sat. plus one evening through the week and games on Sun. So it's not just the M-F tied up but also the weekends. It's not till late Oct. that I get to start enjoying Packer football.

BallHawk
06-23-2007, 11:29 PM
I quit my fall ball team because they had practices on Sunday from 1-4. :D :D :lol: :lol:

GrnBay007
06-24-2007, 11:42 AM
I quit my fall ball team because they had practices on Sunday from 1-4. :D :D :lol: :lol:

lol don't blame you!
Well, we only have one more year of Pop Warner and then he will be playing Jr. High......I know those games and hopefully practices won't be on Sunday.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 11:55 AM
I'm pretty sure the only football going on on Sunday, in Wisconsin, is Packer football.

Iowa has no identity. :(

MJZiggy
06-24-2007, 11:58 AM
It's good thing you're not going there. Wait 'til you find out how much football is around here...

GrnBay007
06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I'm pretty sure the only football going on on Sunday, in Wisconsin, is Packer football.

Actually the first year they had it here they had all the games on Sat. morning....that was nice. Then someone new took over the league and he happens to own his own business (contractor) so Sun. worked best for him...I'm sure that's why it was changed. They don't want to have it Sun. mornings because of people attending Church, so they went Sun. afternoon. As far as identity goes....it's all Hawkeyes around here....but that's Sat.

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 12:24 PM

Actually the first year they had it here they had all the games on Sat. morning....that was nice. Then someone new took over the league and he happens to own his own business (contractor) so Sun. worked best for him...I'm sure that's why it was changed. They don't want to have it Sun. mornings because of people attending Church, so they went Sun. afternoon. As far as identity goes....it's all Hawkeyes around here....but that's Sat.

Iowa ID = Corn :lol:

MJZiggy
06-24-2007, 12:28 PM
I am now officially in withdrawal myself. Soccer season is over...no more games or practices, no more pictures to take. We had a cookout to get the kids together yesterday...
:cry:

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 12:30 PM
I am now officially in withdrawal myself. Soccer season is over...no more games or practices, no more pictures to take. We had a cookout to get the kids together yesterday...

If you can bring yourself to watch soccer you can watch anything. Take up Pro Golf, Bowling, or Underwater Basket Weaving on TV :wink:

GrnBay007
06-24-2007, 12:34 PM
Iowa ID = Corn :lol:

B----> :butt:<---me

MJZiggy
06-24-2007, 12:51 PM

If you can bring yourself to watch soccer you can watch anything. Take up Pro Golf, Bowling, or Underwater Basket Weaving on TV :wink:

Little kid soccer is a far different animal than the grown up version. Think pee wee T-ball. We call this "amoeba soccer" because the team just sort of free flows around the ball. It's very cute in a Bad News Bears sort of way. And by the way, you forgot bass fishing.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 12:54 PM

Add the NBA to that list.

GrnBay007
06-25-2007, 11:18 PM
OK, A win tomorrow night and Wed night and they are the Champs in the end of the season tourney. :D

MJZiggy
06-25-2007, 11:28 PM
I'm so jealous...

oregonpackfan
06-26-2007, 03:14 PM

Little kid soccer is a far different animal than the grown up version. Think pee wee T-ball. We call this "amoeba soccer" because the team just sort of free flows around the ball. It's very cute in a Bad News Bears sort of way. And by the way, you forgot bass fishing.

We often referred to Pee-Wee Soccer as "Beehive Soccer" The very young kids cluster in a beehive formation around the ball. Kindergartners and First Graders are too developmentally young to understand the concepts of field position and passing strategies. I tried coaching at that level and they just are unable to comprehend it.

It isn't until second grade or so that kids can play field position and to think about strategy.

GrnBay007
06-28-2007, 08:38 AM
The boys took 1st in the end of the season tournament. :D Got a little revenge on the team that beat them out of first place.....played them the championship game last night and beat them 10-4. They all got a very nice trophy.

...........how many weeks till football starts????? :(