PDA

View Full Version : Our QB Future

Tarlam!
06-23-2007, 06:01 AM
I know the following is old hat, but seeing as how he drew such good press this last week, I wanted to find out more about him. Someone covering camp decribed him as throwing bullets.

Gotta admit, the best I've heard on A-Rod's arm is the old "he can make all the throws" cliché and this year, "he puts more zip on the ball".

Ingle Martin hasn't been very public either, and Babb was released Thursday.

Any chance that Thompson gets more than just a look as a camp arm?

Paul Thompson signs with the Green Bay Packers
May 16, 2007 at 8:54 pm | In Paul Thompson, Sooners in the NFL, Green Bay Packers |
The Green Bay Packers signed another undrafted rookie quarterback, Oklahoma’s Paul Thompson, for this weekend’s minicamp and perhaps beyond.

Thompson (6-3 5/8, 216) played receiver for a good part of his career at Oklahoma but last season was its quarterback after projected starter Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team in the summer.

Thompson finished the season completing 60.7 percent of his passes (204-for-336), including throwing 22 touchdowns and 11 interceptions. Some teams considered him an NFL prospect as a combination receiver, return man and specialty quarterback rather than as a true quarterback. But General Manager Ted Thompson said the Packers signed him as a pure quarterback prospect.

“We did a lot of work on him there at the end (of the draft evaluation),” Thompson said. “He was at the (scouting) combine as a thrower. He is a good athlete but he also threw the ball pretty well, and you go back and watch the game tape, especially toward the end of the season there at Oklahoma, we thought he played pretty well and deserved another look.”

Thompson’s presence will give the Packers three healthy quarterbacks at minicamp this weekend: third-stringer Ingle Martin, undrafted rookie Jerry Babb and Thompson.

Backup Aaron Rodgers is coming back from a broken left foot and probably will have only limited participation in drills. Starter Brett Favre has not fully recovered from offseason ankle surgery and might not show up for the camp at all.

LL2
06-23-2007, 06:43 AM
ARod is our future!

Tarlam!
06-23-2007, 06:51 AM
ARod is our future!

Yes, but for how long? I am sure he'll get his chance, of curse. The point to my question is, nobody has ever described him as impressive in camp, nor that he has a bullet to throw.

Well, nobody from the press anyway. I know M3 does his best to talk him up.

What were the vibes surrounding Brett when he was holding the clipboard?

BallHawk
06-23-2007, 08:25 AM
ARod as our future?

We might as well dig up Johnny Unitas and sign him for the vet minimum. At least he couldn't do any harm.

Partial
06-23-2007, 09:34 AM
I think this is A-Rod's big year in camp. He finally doesn't look like a soft girl anymore and at least looks somewhat cut. He could take a few tips from the other A-Rod who has gone from boy to linebacker in his time in baseball.

Bretsky
06-23-2007, 10:19 AM
The Vikings are grooming Brooks Bollinger for us :lol:

bbbffl66
06-23-2007, 10:31 AM
ARod is our future!

I thought children were are future! :D

Chubbyhubby
06-23-2007, 11:41 AM
I heard on ESPN First Take yesterday that Former GM Ron Wolf has told reporters that Brett Favre has at least 2 more years in him.

For the teams sake I hope he is right. 'Cause besides Favre there are all unproven QB's. Lets hope Favre stays healthy this year. I know he hasn't missed a game since becoming the starter n '93. Culpepper a Packer whom did you hear this rumor from?

KYPack
06-24-2007, 04:44 PM
I heard on ESPN First Take yesterday that Former GM Ron Wolf has told reporters that Brett Favre has at least 2 more years in him.

For the teams sake I hope he is right. 'Cause besides Favre there are all unproven QB's. Lets hope Favre stays healthy this year. I know he hasn't missed a game since becoming the starter n '93. Culpepper a Packer whom did you hear this rumor from?

Heard that vicious "Culpepper a Packer " rumor first on Packer Rats, Chub.

The Leaper
06-25-2007, 08:48 AM

There is no doubt in my mind that Favre could EASILY play another 2-3 years from a physical viewpoint. While his legs aren't what they used to be, he remains very elusive within the pocket. His arm remains one of the five strongest in the NFL.

The question with Favre has never been about his physical ability. It is all about his mental approach to football and whether or not he wants to continue the grind going forward.

When he returned for last season after going 4-12, I figured he was a lock to play for 2 more years (I didn't see it likely he would return to a 4-12 team for just one season, especially with so many records on the table within reach in that second year) with his future at that time being tied almost exclusively to how the team was positioned for success moving forward.

However, the lack of aggression in finding playmakers on offense this offseason could put a quick end to this after 2007 IMO. Favre isn't happy with Thompson...and rightfully so IMO. Jones was a foolish selection for where this team is right now...especially when you had the chance to land an NFL ready WR with size in the 2nd round by simply giving up a late round pick. Playing around with Moss...then basically acting like you never wanted him to begin with, allowing another team to get him for almost nothing...was another major blunder.

Charles Woodson
06-25-2007, 03:25 PM
I think this is A-Rod's big year in camp. He finally doesn't look like a soft girl anymore and at least looks somewhat cut. He could take a few tips from the other A-Rod who has gone from boy to linebacker in his time in baseball.

Funny that you mention that A-rod. He went to my school and comes around every once and a while.

Partial
06-25-2007, 03:37 PM

Funny that you mention that A-rod. He went to my school and comes around every once and a while.

Tell him he looks like a girl. He needs to bulk up. He has narrower shoulders than most girls I know.

Charles Woodson
06-25-2007, 03:46 PM

Tell him he looks like a girl. He needs to bulk up. He has narrower shoulders than most girls I know.

Which is why he leads the AL in RBI's, R's, and HR. Dont think he needs to bulk up if hes able to do that.

Tarlam!
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
He has narrower shoulders than most girls I know.

I always refused to believe the stories about girls from WI, and now this! :evil:

Partial
06-25-2007, 04:58 PM

Which is why he leads the AL in RBI's, R's, and HR. Dont think he needs to bulk up if hes able to do that.

Oh, that A-Rod is a tank. He is HUGE. Alex Rodriguez is built like a linebacker. I believe he has done it naturally too since he is like 6'5" I believe.

I was referring to Aaron Rodgers. If he had the physique of Alex Rodriguez he'd be in a much better position to be a good player.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 05:42 PM
ARod is our future!

Fight the future!

Patler
06-25-2007, 06:13 PM
Alex Rodriguez is built like a linebacker. I believe he has done it naturally too

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 06:18 PM

Do you notice a dramatic jump in the baseball team's performance following his visits?

:o :o :o :o :o :o

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 06:20 PM
Alex Rodriguez is built like a linebacker. I believe he has done it naturally too

Yeah, and I believe that Pamela Anderson's boobs just happen to be that big. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Partial
06-25-2007, 06:24 PM
A-Rod has been remarkably consistent and has grown at a relatively constant rate. Keep in mind he was 20 when he first started.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:43 PM
I think this is A-Rod's big year in camp.

Sadly, I think you can replace "A-Rod" in the above sentence with "Fergy" and it would be just as true... :(

I am not looking forward to "life after FAVRE". You think it looks bad now, just wait. :whaa: :soap:

Partial
06-25-2007, 08:45 PM
I honestly don't see reason to be down on A-Rod to this point. He had a pretty good pre-season this far. Other than looking like a girl, he seems to be on pace for a good career for a QB. Maybe not special like Favre, but who is? I predict he'll end up as a good starter with a couple of pro-bowls when his talent is special around him. A lot like Matt Hasselback, if you will.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:47 PM

Yeah, and I believe that Pamela Anderson's boobs just happen to be that big. :roll: :roll: :roll:

You too? Thank God. Thought I was the only one. You know, that silicone stuff really doesn't exist. Oh, and, those moon shots were shot in New Mexico. Really. :mrgreen:

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 08:55 PM
You too? Thank God. Thought I was the only one. You know, that silicone stuff really doesn't exist. Oh, and, those moon shots were shot in New Mexico. Really. :mrgreen:

And that just leaves us with who shot JFK.....

:wink: :wink:

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:58 PM

And that just leaves us with who shot JFK.....

:wink: :wink:

I have it on good authority, that it was a joint effort with Barney taking the lead. Bear and Tutter were in on the plot, Tutter drove the getaway car, and Bear was the dark imposing figure on the grassy knoll.

Partial
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rodrial01.shtml

Come on now. Look at his power numbers. He has been consistent and it is very possible that a young guy at 20 who is scrawny puts on 40 pounds over 12-13 years. I don't think its too far-fetched at all as a matter of fact.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 09:00 PM
Why did we waste money on the Warren Commission when we just could of asked you? :D :wink:

Charles Woodson
06-25-2007, 10:06 PM

Actually he played Quarterback and was Damn good too. He also played basketball. Very athletic kid