PDA

View Full Version : Kitna Drinks The Kool-Aid

Joemailman
06-24-2007, 10:41 AM
Kitna boldly predicts that Lions will be winners in 2007

ESPN.com news services

The Detroit Lions haven't had a winning record since 2000 and haven't won 10 games since 1995. That's all going to change in 2007, according to quarterback Jon Kitna.

Appearing on WDFN-AM in Detroit on Thursday, Kitna predicted that the Lions will win more than 10 games this season. The Lions were 3-13 in 2006.

In March, Kitna said the Lions would win 10 games in 2007, but after seeing the team's schedule he adjusted his prediction -- higher.

"I'll keep to myself what I think we actually will win. But it's more than 10 games," Kitna said.

Part of the reason for Kitna's optimism is Calvin Johnson, the team's first-round draft pick.

"I don't like putting a lot of pressure on people, but Calvin Johnson, to me, will have about the same impact that Reggie Bush had in New Orleans," Kitna said. "He's everything that they said he was and more."

This is good news, because if the Lions are winning more than 10, I don't think we're losing any. :alc: :five: :glug:

oregonpackfan
06-24-2007, 10:49 AM
Wow! That is indeed one of the hugest Kool-Aid proclamations I have heard in a long time!

The Lions have been a losing organization for many years and will continue to be a losing organization for many years to come.

I predict they will finish dead last in the NFLC-North this year.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
I could see the Lions winning, at most, 7 games. Their secondary is just :shock: .

I'm reserving last place for the Vikes. Unless Tavaris turns into Vince Young, I see them having 5 or 6 in the win column.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 10:51 AM
DP.

MJZiggy
06-24-2007, 10:52 AM
Kitna DOES remember what team he plays for doesn't he?

packinpatland
06-24-2007, 11:01 AM
He's just trying to be 'Namath-like' :roll:

packinpatland
06-24-2007, 11:03 AM
I take that back, Namath made his bold prediction come true.
Kitna is just, what is that crude saying?.............'pissing in the wind.'

MJZiggy
06-24-2007, 11:05 AM
Like Hasselbeck wanting the ball so they can score.

packers11
06-24-2007, 11:06 AM
The lions will win 10 games or more... If they can put up 40+ points on EVERY team... That defense is god awful, I think the fraud Ferguson could even burn those DB's without getting hurt...

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 11:11 AM
He's just trying to be 'Namath-like' :roll:

Now, all he needs is some whiskey and a sideline reporter. :wink: :wink:

Tarlam!
06-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I hope they are competitive! I am sick of the Pack being in a division that gets no respect.

Once, the NFC North was the black and blue division. Today, we're in the singin' the blues division!

I hope it comes down to our division record. I hope ALL of us ore 10-0 against everyone we play, and it comes down to how many wins we have in the division....

That's what I hope.

Harlan Huckleby
06-24-2007, 12:04 PM
I think you can predict that ANY team will win 10 games any year without being insane. You look at the roster, project improvement in the younger players, assume great luck with injuries - BINGO!, you got your 10 wins.

Now, last year, I called several people insane for predicting 10 wins for the Packers. But that's different - those people actually were insane to begin with.

Joemailman
06-24-2007, 12:09 PM
I predicted 8-8 last year. :five: Just don't ask me about my 2005 prediction. :oops:

Harlan Huckleby
06-24-2007, 12:10 PM
how'd you do in '05?

oregonpackfan
06-24-2007, 12:13 PM

PIPL,

Your "pissing" comment awakened a memory of a story told to me about my Aunt Sal.

In the 50's, long before the Women's Lib movement had awakened, she was a supervisor of a loading company. A tall, big-boned woman, she often joined her male colleagues in physically loading the trucks.

She is reported to have bragged to the men, "I can do anything you guys can do except piss off this dock!" :D

No one ever tried to corss Aunt Sal...

Joemailman
06-24-2007, 12:13 PM
how'd you do in '05?

Let's just say SOV came closer than I did. But I was closer than Tex. :mrgreen:

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 12:20 PM
I could see the Lions winning, at most, 7 games. Their secondary is just :shock: .

I'm reserving last place for the Vikes. Unless Tavaris turns into Vince Young, I see them having 5 or 6 in the win column.

So at most they are tied with us :wink:

KYPack
06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
I predicted 8-8 mesself!

And thought I was dead wrong all year until the 4th quarter of the last game.

I'll go on record early as predicting 8-8 for this coming season.

Not being negative, I believe the team will improve in many key areas, but our tough schedule will make us have the same record with a better ballclub.

'08?

Back to the play-offs in Brett's last year.

CaliforniaCheez
06-24-2007, 01:22 PM
Looking back on the Wayne Fontes' years as the good old days.

That has to hurt.

packinpatland
06-24-2007, 02:35 PM

PIPL,

Your "pissing" comment awakened a memory of a story told to me about my Aunt Sal.

In the 50's, long before the Women's Lib movement had awakened, she was a supervisor of a loading company. A tall, big-boned woman, she often joined her male colleagues in physically loading the trucks.

She is reported to have bragged to the men, "I can do anything you guys can do except piss off this dock!" :D

Aunt Sal was a good ol' gal. :lol:

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:18 AM

PIPL,

Aunt Sal was a good ol' gal. :lol:

Today she'd be fired by HR for sexual harrassment.

Fritz
06-25-2007, 08:32 AM
Ah, it's that time of year again. Rampant optimism in most places, including Lionville. Watch the national media make Detroit the sexy "sleeper" pick, watch the Lions eat that up, watch the Lions be the Lions.

Carolina_Packer
06-25-2007, 08:59 AM
How many teams have the Lions circled as a W on their schedule this year? The secret of the Saints last year is that they didn't make proclamations; they came from nowhere and had success. This sort of thing will bring scrutiny to them. They did some stuff in the offseason, but lost their two best secondary guys in what was already a questionable secondary. Below is their schedule with my predicted result.

Sunday, September 9 at Oakland Raiders W
Sunday, September 16 MINNESOTA VIKINGS W
Sunday, September 23 at Philadelphia Eagles L
Sunday, September 30 CHICAGO BEARS L
Sunday, October 7 at Washington Redskins L
Sunday, October 14 *** BYE WEEK ***
Sunday, October 21 TAMPA BAY BUCCANEERS W
Sunday, October 28 at Chicago Bears Soldier L
Sunday, November 4 DENVER BRONCOS L
Sunday, November 11 at Arizona Cardinals W
Sunday, November 18 NEW YORK GIANTS L
Thursday, November 22 GREEN BAY PACKERS L
Sunday, December 2 at Minnesota Vikings L
Sunday, December 9 DALLAS COWBOYS L
Sunday, December 16 at San Diego Chargers L
Sunday, December 23 KANSAS CITY CHIEFS L
Sunday, December 30 at Green Bay Packers L

By my count that is 4-12, not even in the same zipcode as a 10 win season, or the playoffs. If this season doesn't truly seal the fate of Matt Millen as the GM, then you gotta wonder if he's got incriminating photos of the Ford Family or knows where the bodies are buried.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 04:10 PM
Ah, it's that time of year again. Rampant optimism in most places, including Lionville. Watch the national media make Detroit the sexy "sleeper" pick, watch the Lions eat that up, watch the Lions be the Lions.

Arizona got dibs on the sexy sleeper pick and no way in hell are they giving back.

:wink: :wink:

esoxx
06-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Calvin Johnson will have a major impact on this team. They will be much better simply b/c they possess this fine weapon.

In the parity riddled NFC, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions have a big improvement record wise. Yes, one blue chip stud of Johnson's caliber could potentially make that big of a difference.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 06:22 PM
Calvin Johnson will have a major impact on this team. They will be much better simply b/c they possess this fine weapon.

In the parity riddled NFC, it wouldn't surprise me to see the Lions have a big improvement record wise. Yes, one blue chip stud of Johnson's caliber could potentially make that big of a difference.

I could see him making a 3 game difference. But 7 games? A Pro-Bowl Veteran can't even do that.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
I could see him making a 3 game difference. But 7 games? A Pro-Bowl Veteran can't even do that.

Really? We always talk about Driver having a "complement" that would negate double teams as having a MAJOR impact on the team's offense. So, if Calvin does nothing more in his rookie season than eliminate a double team from Williams or Furrey, then what?

Now they have Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, Tatum Bell and Kevin Jones.... A decent line, and a QB who is not top drawer but can chuck it pretty good and has been around the block enough not to be stupid. Not too long ago, he took EVERY snap in Cinncinati.

Detroit could have a very formidable offense this year. On paper that doesn't mean much, and this team has a "track record" of screwing up a wet dream, but to write them off? No way. If the defense can overachieve similar to what GB did 2 seasons ago, this wouldn't be much of a stretch quite honestly.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 09:03 PM
The Packers defense had something to build on, though. The raw talent was there, but it just hadn't shown itself yet. The Lions secondary is just awful. Unless you have an offense like the Packers had in 2004 and an average defense, you're not going to get anyway. And even with what the Pack had we still didn't win the Super Bowl.

Partial
06-25-2007, 09:06 PM

Really? We always talk about Driver having a "complement" that would negate double teams as having a MAJOR impact on the team's offense. So, if Calvin does nothing more in his rookie season than eliminate a double team from Williams or Furrey, then what?

Now they have Calvin Johnson, Roy Williams, Mike Furrey, Tatum Bell and Kevin Jones.... A decent line, and a QB who is not top drawer but can chuck it pretty good and has been around the block enough not to be stupid. Not too long ago, he took EVERY snap in Cinncinati.

Detroit could have a very formidable offense this year. On paper that doesn't mean much, and this team has a "track record" of screwing up a wet dream, but to write them off? No way. If the defense can overachieve similar to what GB did 2 seasons ago, this wouldn't be much of a stretch quite honestly.

Kitna is my boy. Glad to see Detroit getting some love. They have a very good DL as well. Like the Vikes, they will be tough to run against and get good push from Redding and Rodgers.

They will need a few things to go right for them(what team doesn't have IFs), but they could be pretty tough and surprise a few people.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 09:14 PM
The Packers defense had something to build on, though. The raw talent was there, but it just hadn't shown itself yet. The Lions secondary is just awful. Unless you have an offense like the Packers had in 2004 and an average defense, you're not going to get anyway. And even with what the Pack had we still didn't win the Super Bowl.

Quite honestly, I'm not so sure that the Packers "talent" is that much better than the Lions. Cory Redding is damn good, so is Shaun Rogers. They've got fairly decent talent outside of the secondary, you are very right that on paper it looks awful (of course so does our RB situation and Ted tells us we'll be "just fine") so I guess that's a plausible excuse north of the border too.

My point is not that Detroit is on the way to the super bowl, far from it, but to say they'll "always be the Lions" and only win 4 games is just as inaccurate too.

Those that are giving the Packers 'two easy wins' against the Lions this year is really not very good thinking. Detroit ALWAYS plays tough on Thanksgiving, and seems to have added burst when they play the Packers. That game is not going to be an "easy" win if the Lions are winless come Thanksgiving.

Joemailman
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
Has Rogers been cleared of sexual misconduct charges? If not,he could end up with a suspension. Also wasn't he hurt last year. Not exactly someone you can count on. http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070612/SPORTS01/706120358/1049

There are also questions about Kevin Jones. Marinelli said a couple of weeks ago that Jones may begin training camp on the PUP list.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 09:29 PM
Detroit ALWAYS plays tough on Thanksgiving, and seems to have added burst when they play the Packers. That game is not going to be an "easy" win if the Lions are winless come Thanksgiving.

I think that it's more "The Packers play like shit on Thanksgiving" rather then the Lions playing good.

Detroit plays its occasional good game on turkey day, but other days they just get carved up (excuse the pun.) :wink: :wink:

Partial
06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Lions in detroit is always a tough game. I don't care how bad their overall record is.

Cheesehead Craig
06-26-2007, 07:06 AM
There was a guy on the espn comment boards on this article who said:

"Are the Lions playing 40 games?"

Dead on. :clap:

Tarlam!
06-26-2007, 03:37 PM
What esoxx said...

Detroit won't be a walkover anymore. The coaches are capable and the offense has talented individuals hoping to become a team.

The NFC North will be hotly contested.

esoxx
06-26-2007, 04:52 PM

You must have missed the '98 season when Randy Moss destroyed the league. And he was just a rookie.

BTW, I'm not saying they're a 10 win team. But to simply dismiss them as the "Same ol' Lions" is a mistake.

4and12to12and4
06-26-2007, 05:15 PM
The lions db's aren't that bad. Numbers don't tell the whole story. You can't run against them, so offenses put crooked numbers each game in the air to move the ball. Their db's could've handled that pressure much better had their offense allowed them to stay off the field every once in a while. If Detroit does get it's offense on track, it WILL improve the defensive numbers. That's just a fact in football. The lions will probably botch this year, but I think, unlike most here, that they are due, and the fact that they haven't had any success pretty much ever, actually scares me. It seems like they are in the same position that the Bengals and the Buccaneers were once in. Always bad, and then suddenly very good. It could happen. Just like the last game of the season for us against the Bears could help with our teams overall confidence, the same could happen for Detroit. Remember, their offense was unstoppable against Dallas the last game of the season, as they beat them. Ten wins? Doubtful, when you have to play the Bears twice, the Boys, the Broncos, etc., but I do expect them to suprise many people this year.

BTW, I absolutely am sold on Calvin Johnson. He is an exact prototype of TO. This guy can be as good as any receiver out there. He scares the hell out of me. I hope that our old corners haven't lost a step, because, they will need to blanket him to even have a chance of stopping him, and even then, he may beat them due to his size and strength. He's the real deal. He will definitely open up their running game. Kitna is the perfect QB for them, toughminded, toughbodied, and can zip it when he needs to. He also doesn't make many stupid mistakes.

I know I'm bettng against history here, but I think that they will be vying for a wildcard berth the last week of the season.

Freak Out
06-26-2007, 05:30 PM
With as many high 1st round picks that Detroit has had over the years they should have a hell of a team. Should. Who the hell is coaching them these days? Kitna can get the job done and with all those weapons on offense they should improve but like any other team in the NFL it is early a lots can happen before the season starts. Is Jones and the line going to do its part this year? When given time is Kitna going to make teams pay? Talk is cheap.

Zool
06-27-2007, 08:34 AM
The lions db's aren't that bad. Numbers don't tell the whole story. You can't run against them, so offenses put crooked numbers each game in the air to move the ball. Their db's could've handled that pressure much better had their offense allowed them to stay off the field every once in a while. If Detroit does get it's offense on track, it WILL improve the defensive numbers. That's just a fact in football. The lions will probably botch this year, but I think, unlike most here, that they are due, and the fact that they haven't had any success pretty much ever, actually scares me. It seems like they are in the same position that the Bengals and the Buccaneers were once in. Always bad, and then suddenly very good. It could happen. Just like the last game of the season for us against the Bears could help with our teams overall confidence, the same could happen for Detroit. Remember, their offense was unstoppable against Dallas the last game of the season, as they beat them. Ten wins? Doubtful, when you have to play the Bears twice, the Boys, the Broncos, etc., but I do expect them to suprise many people this year.

BTW, I absolutely am sold on Calvin Johnson. He is an exact prototype of TO. This guy can be as good as any receiver out there. He scares the hell out of me. I hope that our old corners haven't lost a step, because, they will need to blanket him to even have a chance of stopping him, and even then, he may beat them due to his size and strength. He's the real deal. He will definitely open up their running game. Kitna is the perfect QB for them, toughminded, toughbodied, and can zip it when he needs to. He also doesn't make many stupid mistakes.

I know I'm bettng against history here, but I think that they will be vying for a wildcard berth the last week of the season.

You cant run on the Lions? They gave up 125ypg on the ground last year good for 21st in the NFL. I might go so far as to say you CAN run on the Lions.

mmmdk
06-28-2007, 09:02 AM
Source: Nicholas J. Cotsonika, Detroit Free Press

Quarterback Jon Kitna has drawn a lot of attention lately for saying he thinks the Lions will win more than 10 games this season. But he isn't the only one with great expectations.

Said WR Mike Furrey, "Right now, on paper, we look like we should win 10 to 12 games, easily. We're seeing what we have, and we have guys in there now that believe in Marinelli. They believe in what we can do. And if you ask every one of us, we expect to win 10 games."

There's nothing like confidence and I won't bring that down; Detroit are in a division/conference where there's big room for improvement when you actually have playmakers. Detroit is more talented than Packers; read it and weep. Yet to say that Lions will win 10-12 games would be a big achievement indeed but 8 or 9 is what I expect from Lions; Packers & Vikings will have to work even harder to get that many wins. Still, you gotta play the games and that's where Lions have failed - even loaded with talent (Barry Sanders anyone?).

Here's a toast to the hope that Packers are talented enough to get 8 or 9 wins in 2007!