PDA

View Full Version : Harrell's strength may be sapped

Tarlam!
06-24-2007, 02:36 PM
Posted June 24, 2007

Once healthy, No. 1 pick should be fine, but expert warns recovery from biceps surgery can take more than a year

By Tom Pelissero
tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Compared to the leg and ankle injuries that cost Justin Harrell parts of two college seasons, the ruptured biceps tendon he sustained in September was, in his word, "nothing."

Fellow Green Bay Packers rookie Larry Birdine didn't have the luxury of comparison.

"I was mad," said Birdine, an undrafted end who sustained a nearly identical injury in preseason practice two years ago. "I wish I could have broke a bone or something. Then you're out six weeks and you just come back, as opposed to tearing your tendon. It's basically the equivalent or tearing your ACL in your knee."

Birdine recovered from surgery quickly enough to play for Oklahoma in the Holiday Bowl less than five months after his injury, though he admits he only had 50 percent strength in his left arm.

Harrell, a first-round pick out of Tennessee, has had almost twice as long to recover. Yet, he sat out all team portions of Green Bay's offseason practices and isn't expected to be cleared for contact until early next month.

Packers coaches point out evaluation is difficult until players put on pads in training camp. However, there is a possibility Harrell, no matter how good he feels, will not be at full strength when training camp opens July 28 — or perhaps anytime this season.

According to the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, patients generally are prohibited from "forceful biceps activity" for four to six months after surgery. Rebuilding the muscle to its pre-surgery size and strength can take much longer.

"The muscle recovery is gradual," said Dr. Randall Mohler, a surgeon who specializes in sports medicine at the California Orthopaedic Institute.

"(It takes) a year to even a year-and-a-half before muscles will feel fully recovered, and (sustained strength) is one of the last things to come back. Even when someone is in the weight room and says, 'This feels 100 percent,' they'll notice it fatigues faster."

Harrell says there was no contact on the play that in essence ended his college career. He swung his left arm in the direction of an Air Force ball-carrier and felt a pop as the tendon separated from the bone at his elbow — what doctors call a distal tear. Unlike proximal tears, which occur at the shoulder and account for more than 90 percent of all biceps ruptures, distal tears almost always are repaired surgically because the biceps can't function without that connection.

With no risk of further injury, Harrell played the next week against Florida with padding from just below his shoulder to the middle of his forearm. He knew it would be his last game — doctors encourage fixing the injury before the tendon retracts too far into the arm — and Tennessee team doctors Greg Mathien and Robert Ivy performed the surgery two days later, on Sept. 18.

Harrell spent a couple of weeks in a sling, then began rehabilitation to rebuild the shrunken muscle and regain his range of motion. Roughly six months after surgery, he impressed scouts at his campus workout by bench-pressing 500 pounds — best among the four defensive tackles drafted in the first two rounds. But the Packers' medical staff has proceeded with understandable caution.

"If I had to go out and perform, I would feel confident in my arm and going out there and doing things with it," Harrell said in a phone call last week. "It's just something that's going to take a little bit longer, a little process to get it back up."

The process will begin in earnest in training camp, when Harrell is expected to compete with Corey Williams for a starting job opposite veteran Ryan Pickett.

"In the classroom, the guy's good," defensive tackles coach Robert Nunn said, declining to reveal where on the depth chart the rookie will start. "He's getting a little antsy, wanting to go ahead and test it, but until (team doctors) give us clearance, I don't have anything to do with it."

At 6-foot-4, Harrell matches Williams as the Packers' tallest defensive tackle, and he's bulked up from 300 pounds in college to between 310 and 315. Harrell's presence will increase competition in a group that includes Colin Cole and Johnny Jolly, provided he's healthy.

Spending time on the sideline during minicamp and OTAs gave Harrell an opportunity to learn the Packers' scheme — a significant departure from the attacking, read-on-the-run defense he played at Tennessee — from the outside. He spent much of his time getting pointers from end Aaron Kampman, who is recovering from arthroscopic knee surgery.

"I'm glad the OTAs are over," Harrell said. "It was a good period for me to pretty much get the whole grasp of the defense, and I think I got a pretty good idea. Now, I'm just ready to take another step."

"The good news for him is that these almost never will re-rupture out after the recovery period," Mohler said. "(Doctors are) nervous right after surgery, because we don't want someone to have to go back to surgery or go through a surgery that doesn't help them out. But now that he's had nine months of recovery, his chance of re-rupturing this should be almost down to zero."

All Harrell has to show for the injury is a small scar on the inside of his arm, below the elbow. He says he isn't concerned about any mental hurdles when he returns to contact drills, because he played with the tendon torn against Florida.

Birdine didn't have the luxury of that comparison, either. But he guarantees Harrell won't make his first tackle without a little hesitation.

"You really don't want to go in there and do the same thing that you did that you hurt yourself," Birdine said. "But, they tell you that the chance of your tearing it again is pretty much like being struck by lightning."

CaliforniaCheez
06-24-2007, 03:03 PM
With the Packers depth at DT, he can play as few snaps as Rodgers did in his rookie year and the Packers will be fine.

He is learning and will not be counted on untl there is less DT depth next season.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 03:05 PM
I don't expect JH to have any significant impact this year. In the future, I forsee a strong career, but for this year, I see him just being average.

Brandon494
06-24-2007, 03:12 PM
I don't expect JH to have any significant impact this year. In the future, I forsee a strong career, but for this year, I see him just being average.

If the Packers didnt think he could contribute this season they wouldnt have wasted a 1st rounder on him. I see him being a solid run stuffer this season.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 03:47 PM

If the Packers didnt think he could contribute this season they wouldnt have wasted a 1st rounder on him. I see him being a solid run stuffer this season.

There's no way he'll be 100%, even 90%, this season.

packers11
06-24-2007, 04:27 PM
This is why I was favoring Nelson over Harrell... THERE IS A NEED AT SAFTEY NOW!!! There is not really a need at DT with Williams and Pickett there... O well... What is done is done, I hope Harrell turns out to be a stud...

Brandon494
06-24-2007, 04:29 PM
He'll still be an important part of our defense.

LL2
06-24-2007, 05:39 PM
With the DT depth we do have they should let him sit longer and work his way into the lineup as the season progresses. No need to rush anything.

Patler
06-24-2007, 06:26 PM
I really don't understand the point of the article. The Dr. said 4-6 months before strenuous bicep work. Four months was up at the end of the season. He's already 9 months post-surgery. By the time the season rolls around he will be 11+ months post-surgery. With a professional staff working on him the whole time, the best of facilities and treatments available to him, I would think that in 6 to 8 months of work after the 4-6 month layoff, he should have regained a good portion of his strength.

Besides, they also said he benched 500 lbs at his pre-draft workout just to prove the arm wasn't a problem.

I don't think the arm will hold him back to any great extent. What pro player is ever 100%?

Charles Woodson
06-24-2007, 06:53 PM
I don't expect In the future, I forsee a strong career,.

Well we better hope he has a strong career

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 09:11 PM
This is why I was favoring Nelson over Harrell... THERE IS A NEED AT SAFTEY NOW!!!

We already have one moron in the secondary, we didn't need another.

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 09:14 PM
This is why I was favoring Nelson over Harrell... THERE IS A NEED AT SAFTEY NOW!!!

Flawed logic IMO; we don't need geniuses manning the safety position. That moron you point to is our best safety, hands down. If we could have a second safety with Collins talent and smarts I'd jump at the chance.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 09:35 PM

Flawed logic IMO; we don't need geniuses manning the safety position. That moron you point to is our best safety, hands down. If we could have a second safety with Collins talent and smarts I'd jump at the chance.

Collins is a very good safety and I believe he will become great. However, I just don't think you can have two unintelligent players manning one position. If you have one box of rocks and a semi-intelligent guy then you are fine. If you have two morons manning those positions you are going to be prone with bouts of boneheaded play.

Besides, I believe that either Rouse, Culver, Underwood, or Bigby will step up this season.

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 10:02 PM

Collins is a very good safety and I believe he will become great. However, I just don't think you can have two unintelligent players manning one position. If you have one box of rocks and a semi-intelligent guy then you are fine. If you have two morons manning those positions you are going to be prone with bouts of boneheaded play.

Besides, I believe that either Rouse, Culver, Underwood, or Bigby will step up this season.

I think you are dwelling on the point to go against the Nelson supporters.

I bet there have been several unintelligent players going at the same position and being successful. Collins was not smart; he is doing fine. RB/WR/CB/S...all positions of two.

I'm fine if you want to praise the Snapper for the Harrell pick. But I think the Nelson reasoning is an easy way out to deflate the argument that we need a new safety and Nelson may have been the better guy.

Time will tell who is right.

Joemailman
06-24-2007, 10:03 PM
I think the article is much ado about nothing. The Packers are being very cautious about how soon to bring him back. Same thing with Underwood.

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 10:05 PM
I think the article is much ado about nothing. The Packers are being very cautious about how soon to bring him back. Same thing with Underwood.

TT knew what he was getting when he drafted him. I'm confident that Harrell will be full strength this year or TT would not have had the manlove for him.

Partial
06-24-2007, 10:17 PM

TT knew what he was getting when he drafted him. I'm confident that Harrell will be full strength this year or TT would not have had the manlove for him.

Is that a hint of faith in the turtle?

Bretsky
06-24-2007, 10:33 PM

Maybe; TT is conservative. He would not use a 1st round pick on a guy with injury concerns.

Now if he didn't do his due diligence and Harrell helps us little this year I'm sure I'll be first in line to throw him under the bus :lol:

Carolina_Packer
06-24-2007, 11:12 PM
If it was in doubt before, I don't think anyone would dispute now that TT drafts for the long-term and not just who will help us right, right now. He would argue that they should and will help right now, but I think he knows there is a learning curve, even for the best guys drafted. Then there's always those guys who emerge that you didn't see coming, like Marques Colston last year (kind of an extreme example, I realize), but he certainly surpassed some of the best hyped guys who seemed to disappear into the landscape, if not his own teammate Reggie Bush. I think that shows that developing in the NFL takes time, and for most players always will.

Cheesehead Craig
06-25-2007, 07:47 AM
The main thing I got out of the article wasn't that he wasn't strong, it was that his stamina in his arms would take longer to come back fully. We may see him fade some near the end of the season, that was what I got from the article. But then a lot of rookies hit that wall at that time as they are not used to the longer season. Given that his endurance now is a question with the injury, I would say that he is a prime candidate for "the wall".

Gotta go easy with him in the first half to make sure he's a good contributor for the 2nd half of the season.

Zool
06-25-2007, 08:03 AM

Maybe; TT is conservative. He would not use a 1st round pick on a guy with injury concerns.

Now if he didn't do his due diligence and Harrell helps us little this year I'm sure I'll be first in line to throw him under the bus :lol:I actually assume you'll be driving the bus. If the kid is hurt, I'll be in the front seat.