PDA

View Full Version : Most Overrated Coach

Partial
06-24-2007, 10:28 PM
Bill Cowher has to be the most overrated coach. He always put out tough teams which I dig, but the guy had a lot of average years. He won 1 super bowl in 15 years, and only got to two. Holmgren accomplished the same amount in less time in GB, yet he isn't looked at in the same realm of greatness as Cowher. I just don't get it.

The one thing I would trust Cowher with is being patient enough to rebuild a team. He seems to be very skilled at developing players and doesn't seem to complain when the rooney's don't throw him FA or trade up (for punters) for a particular player in the draft.

oregonpackfan
06-24-2007, 10:35 PM
Les Steckel when he coached the Vikings. He was so bad the negative descriptions of his coaching ability still had him overrated as a coach.

BallHawk
06-24-2007, 10:48 PM
Just throwing out Mike Sherman to get it over with.

Joemailman
06-24-2007, 11:19 PM
Mike Ditka - had 6 losing seasons out of 14.

Carolina_Packer
06-24-2007, 11:25 PM
>>Bill Cowher has to be the most overrated coach. He always put out tough teams which I dig, but the guy had a lot of average years. He won 1 super bowl in 15 years, and only got to two. Holmgren accomplished the same amount in less time in GB, yet he isn't looked at in the same realm of greatness as Cowher. I just don't get it.

The one thing I would trust Cowher with is being patient enough to rebuild a team. He seems to be very skilled at developing players and doesn't seem to complain when the rooney's don't throw him FA or trade up (for punters) for a particular player in the draft.<<

Well, here's a list of all-time coaches and Cowher and Holmgren are 15 and 16 all time on this list. Cowher's number of wins in 15 years was pretty good. Nobody can be expected to be good every single year of a 15 year career (so far, I think he'll be back at some point). He was pretty darn consistent, so I don't think I'd call him overrated. It's not easy winning all those games. Disclaimer, I don't follow the Steelers, nor would I consider myself a Steelers apologist by any means; just give Cowher his props.

(here's the list) http://actionheroreviews.com/nflcoaches.html

Partial
06-24-2007, 11:38 PM
I certainly agree with that. They can never be expected to be good all of the years. However, I feel like there were a lot of relatively gloomy years. The Kordell Stewart years were far from good.

Perhaps you could assign the blame to the GM for not landing him enough talent.

Regardless, I still don't think he is guaranteed to be a success the next place he goes.

Consequently, I also think John Fox is slightly overrated. He is a great coach, top 3 or 4 in the league, but he also has a lot of talent and his squads seem to be mind numbingly inconsistent sometimes.

Iron Mike
06-25-2007, 09:53 PM
No votes for Ray Rhodes?? :roll:

Charles Woodson
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM

dont you have to be rated to be considered overrated?

Iron Mike
06-25-2007, 10:12 PM

dont you have to be rated to be considered overrated?

He was the 1995 AP NFL Coach of the Year

rpiotr01
06-26-2007, 06:14 AM
Jimmy Johnson. "Here you go coach - think you can win with 4-5 HOF players in their prime?" "Uhh, yeah, I think I can do that."

Iron Mike
06-26-2007, 06:18 AM
Jimmy Johnson. "Here you go coach - think you can win with 4-5 HOF players in their prime?" "Uhh, yeah, I think I can do that."

Not to mention free passes from the officials on Offensive Line holding and Offensive Pass Interference by Irvin. :roll:

Patler
06-26-2007, 06:19 AM

By that standard, Vince Lombardi is way, way overrated.

Fritz
06-26-2007, 08:35 AM
It may be hard to over rate a coach. I think it's a more difficult job than most think. Your success has so much to do with the kinds of players the GM gets you, as well as your support from the GM. Plus, it's possible that a superstar or two can whine and moan and get you fired if that superstar is the face of the team. There seem to be so many issues beyond your control.

It's a tough gig.

GBRulz
06-26-2007, 11:28 AM
I will probably catch hell for saying this, but I think Holmgren is overrated.

The Leaper
06-26-2007, 11:54 AM
Bill Cowher has to be the most overrated coach. He always put out tough teams which I dig, but the guy had a lot of average years. He won 1 super bowl in 15 years, and only got to two. Holmgren accomplished the same amount in less time in GB, yet he isn't looked at in the same realm of greatness as Cowher. I just don't get it.

Maybe this will help you.

What HOF QB did Cowher have to help him? It is widely accepted that the easiest way to build a consistent winner is to have a franchise QB. Favre is the reason we've had 1 losing season in the last 15.

Cowher never had a franchise QB...in fact, he had some miserable ones. The Steelers consistently took the approach of refusing to pay players in free agency during the 1990s, and they lost a lot of very good players due to that which Cowher had to develop replacements for. Despite it all, Cowher never lost more than 10 games in a season and only had 3 losing seasons in Pittsburgh. He also won at least one playoff game in 8 of the 10 seasons he reached the postseason...so it wasn't like he snuck into the playoffs and made a quick exit.

How you can claim that is overrated is beyond me.

The Leaper
06-26-2007, 11:59 AM

I completely agree. He had a ridiculously talented roster and a coaching staff that IMO was unrivaled in the history of the NFL. Granted, he should get credit for assembling that tremendous staff...but that probably takes away somewhat from his "coaching genius" then when you factor in the help he had.

The Leaper
06-26-2007, 12:01 PM
double

]{ilr]3
06-26-2007, 12:09 PM
>>Bill Cowher has to be the most overrated coach. He always put out tough teams which I dig, but the guy had a lot of average years. He won 1 super bowl in 15 years, and only got to two. Holmgren accomplished the same amount in less time in GB, yet he isn't looked at in the same realm of greatness as Cowher. I just don't get it.

The one thing I would trust Cowher with is being patient enough to rebuild a team. He seems to be very skilled at developing players and doesn't seem to complain when the rooney's don't throw him FA or trade up (for punters) for a particular player in the draft.<<

Well, here's a list of all-time coaches and Cowher and Holmgren are 15 and 16 all time on this list. Cowher's number of wins in 15 years was pretty good. Nobody can be expected to be good every single year of a 15 year career (so far, I think he'll be back at some point). He was pretty darn consistent, so I don't think I'd call him overrated. It's not easy winning all those games. Disclaimer, I don't follow the Steelers, nor would I consider myself a Steelers apologist by any means; just give Cowher his props.

(here's the list) http://actionheroreviews.com/nflcoaches.html

I think its pretty cool that Lombardi has the high average of wins for the amount of games played.

34. 1959-1969 Vince Lombardi W-105 L- 35 T- 6 Ave- .740

The only other that is close is Madden and he coached for one year less.

4and12to12and4
06-26-2007, 05:21 PM
Phil Jackson. All those titles are because of Jordan and Shaq. Oh, wait, are we talking football? :oops:

Bretsky
06-26-2007, 05:52 PM

:bang:

Freak Out
06-26-2007, 06:57 PM
Gruden.

Iron Mike
06-26-2007, 07:19 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/d/dd/181px-Coach_Z.png

Iron Mike
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/thumb/4/46/200px-Cheers_coach.jpg

Iron Mike
06-26-2007, 07:20 PM
http://www.mopsquad.com/movies/images/slap_shot.jpg

SD GB fan
06-28-2007, 01:41 AM
holmgren may have been a bit overrated in GB but its impressive to see him take two franchises to the superbowl.