PDA

View Full Version : PFT - Corey Dillon?

digitaldean
06-25-2007, 11:45 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

POSTED 11:13 a.m. EDT, June 25, 2007

COULD COREY DILLON HEAD TO GREEN BAY? by Michael David Smith

Our report this morning that former Green Bay director of player development George Koonce hinted in a radio interview that the Packers could soon add a big-name player on offense raises the obvious question of who that player could be. There aren't many big names available, although wide receiver/ESPN analyst Keyshawn Johnson, soon-to-be-available Dolphins quarterback Daunte Culpepper and Chiefs running back Larry Johnson were the first names that came to mind.

One reader suggested another name: former Patriots running back Corey Dillon.

When the Patriots released Dillon in early March, there were widespread reports that Dillon was thinking about retirement but would consider playing for a team that would make him its featured back. Since then, Dillon has been tight-lipped about his future, but the Packers are one of the few teams that might consider signing Dillon with the understanding that he'll head into the season as the unquestioned starter. The Packers' depth chart shows Vernand Morency, Brandon Jackson, Noah Herron and DeShawn Wynn at running back. That doesn't inspire much confidence.

Could Dillon still function as a featured back? Although he turns 33 in October, he probably could. He led the team in rushing with 812 yards last season, and according to the advanced Football Outsiders stats, Dillon provided both more total value and more value on a per-play basis to the Patriots than his successor, Laurence Maroney, did last season.

And in addition to bolstering the running game, adding Dillon could accomplish something else: Placating Brett Favre. Lord Favre complained bitterly when the Packers didn't trade for wide receiver Randy Moss, and he might show up to training camp in a better mood if the front office gives him someone closer to his own age to play with.

At this point, the possibility of the Packers signing Dillon is just speculation. But if the Packers are serious about adding some veteran offensive firepower, Dillon is a name to keep in mind.

Don't know how much stock to put in this one considering the source. But it's more fodder to hash around before training camp starts!

CaliforniaCheez
06-25-2007, 11:51 AM
He could beat out Herron.

Is it worth it?

Partial
06-25-2007, 11:52 AM
He could beat out Herron.

Is it worth it?

Nah.

Who needs Dillion when you've got Vernon Money-cy.

wist43
06-25-2007, 12:04 PM
Why would Dillon even want to come to GB... he's at a point in his career where $$$ has to be his first consideration.

He's already won a ring with NE, but if his motivation is another ring - again, he wouldn't even consider GB.

Beyond that, TT won't have any interest in a RB with a ton of miles...

A big FA signing??? LOL. :lol:

Spaulding
06-25-2007, 12:22 PM
Old, slow, questionable motivation other than money to come to rebuilding team like Green Bay? Also, having to learn the ZBS.

Pass

The Leaper
06-25-2007, 01:09 PM
He's not a ZBS runner. There is ZERO chance he will be in Green Bay at any point in the future.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 02:05 PM
I would hope TT would be smart enough not to sign him.

packrulz
06-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Posted June 26, 2007

Koonce: Team may add a 'big name'

If George Koonce's nose is right, the Green Bay Packers' offense might get an upgrade.

Koonce, who recently resigned his position as the Packers' director of player development to accept a job with Marquette University, has caused a stir on blogs and Internet message boards with his remarks to a Milwaukee radio station Friday.

At the end of an interview on "The Gary and Cliff Show" on WSSP (AM-1250), Koonce said "the offseason's not over with quite yet, so don't be surprised if ... a big name (comes) in before training camp."

Pressed by the hosts for more information, Koonce refused to provide a name, but said he was talking about an offensive player.

"I'm not going to spill the beans," Koonce said, "but ... I sniffed around a little bit before I left."

Considering the Packers' failure to land Randy Moss and countless other rumors that have come and gone, this could be one more letdown for fans frustrated by the team's inactivity in free agency.

But with about $10 million of salary-cap space (after the rookie pool is spent) and more than a month until training camp, General Manager Ted Thompson has plenty of time and flexibility to augment the roster — if someone's available at the right price.

— Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

I see no reason not to bring Dillon in if the price is right, competition is good.

woodbuck27
06-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Why would Dillon even want to come to GB... he's at a point in his career where $$$ has to be his first consideration.

He's already won a ring with NE, but if his motivation is another ring - again, he wouldn't even consider GB.

Beyond that, TT won't have any interest in a RB with a ton of miles...

A big FA signing??? LOL. :lol:

That's basically the facts on Dillon.

He like any vet is only hungry for a Superbowl ring.

That rules him and the Packers out.

Scott Campbell
06-28-2007, 03:03 PM

He's already made a lot of money. And he's already won a ring. A guy at his point in their career could just as easily be motivated by the opportunity for playing time. Especially given the way he was marginalized in NE last year with having to split the duties with Maroney.

I could easily see GB being a desireable destination for a RB that was not a lock to start on other teams.

HarveyWallbangers
06-28-2007, 03:14 PM
Dillon has always been about himself and money, so he'd be happy to come to Green Bay for the right price.

He's washed up. Take a pass.

This isn't even a rumor. It's wild speculation--that is likely inaccurate.

the_idle_threat
06-28-2007, 03:50 PM
He's a big back who runs hard and can pound it into the end zone. In other words, he's the kind of back the Packers don't have right now. He wouldn't be the worst pickup for this team---at this stage I think he's a poor man's Ahman Green, only with a shittier attitude.

And I agree with Scott---I don't think his primary motivation is $$$ nor a ring---he already has both. I think his motivation now is his legacy---he wants playing time so that he can add to his career yardage and TD totals and make a better case for the HOF. That's something he does not already have.

KYPack
06-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Dillon has always been about himself and money, so he'd be happy to come to Green Bay for the right price.

You got it, harve.

This move wouldn't make any sense.

MadtownPacker
06-29-2007, 11:24 AM

You got it, harve.

This move wouldn't make any sense.Nah Pollo-Loco, you and Harv got it twisted up. Idle is spot on saying the Dillion can punch the ball in on goal line situations. Thats something that concerns and this would be a decent low-risk signing that would clear that concern.

retailguy
06-29-2007, 12:18 PM

You got it, harve.

This move wouldn't make any sense.Nah Pollo-Loco, you and Harv got it twisted up. Idle is spot on saying the Dillion can punch the ball in on goal line situations. Thats something that concerns and this would be a decent low-risk signing that would clear that concern.

Don't need that homie. They're going to use KGB in the three goal line situations they'll have this year.... :wink:

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 02:02 PM

You got it, harve.

I certainly support that concern and that Cory Dillon is a better answer than TT has to date supplied us with.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 03:12 PM
Goal line. 3rd and 1. And insurance in case none of the other suspects can cut it.

I'd like to see them make a run at Dillon.

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 03:40 PM
Goal line. 3rd and 1. And insurance in case none of the other suspects can cut it.

Yes but. . .

TT has the utmost confidence in the RB's he has already supplied us with.

Is it possible. . . that he might hesitate on that vision and allow for some insurance?

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 03:48 PM

Yes but. . .

Is it possible. . . that he might hesitate on that vision and allow for some insurance?

If the price is right - yeah.

I assume Ted still has concerns about the running game. He drafted 2 RB's and converted another choice from LB to FB.

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 03:54 PM

Yes but. . .

If the price is right - yeah.

I assume Ted still has concerns about the running game. He drafted 2 RB's and converted another choice from LB to FB.

None of them are named Dillon.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 03:56 PM

No, they're Jackson, Wynne and Hall. I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that it wouldn't surprise me if Ted went after Dillon. But as always, it would require that the price is right.

MJZiggy
06-29-2007, 04:00 PM
Personally, I'm starting to believe that Koonce simply likes reading fan websites and was a little bored so decided to stir the pot on his way out the door... :shock:

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 04:07 PM

No, they're Jackson, Wynne and Hall. I'm not sure what your point is.

My point is that it wouldn't surprise me if Ted went after Dillon. But as always, it would require that the price is right.

My point is that I believe. .

it's best to go with ability based on experience rather than promise, whenever your looking at the short term need of good results.