PDA

View Full Version : Housing prices

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 01:51 PM
What are housing prices doing in the area where you live? In Southcentral Alaska where I live it has remained pretty stable the last two years considering how other markets have crashed. I bought my current home eight years ago and the value has doubled, at least in the eyes of the city appraiser! I would like to take advantage of a low market somewhere for a second home/rental purchase but still see it declining even more. I love the Portland/Eugene/Medford/Bend areas of Oregon as well as the coast but still see a very inflated market in most areas. I have family in the PDX metro area as well as Seattle (I own a small home there I bought years ago) so they keep an eye on the happenings there. I am interested in Montana and Idaho but have heard of some good opportunities in many areas of the country. I have heard some crazy stories about the market in Michigan as well as the Twin Cities area. Whats happening where you live?

LL2
06-25-2007, 02:33 PM
You can buy a house cheaper than you can buy a car in Detroit. It’s not that bad there, but from what I here (my folks live in southern Michigan) and read the RE market is in the gutter there. Here in the Chicago area some areas are better than others. It took us 9 months to sell our house last year, and we were considered fortunate. Far too many became suckers in the RE craze thinking they should expect double digit returns on their house and/ or a rental home. They never even looked at the historical rate of return on RE. I even had a friend and his wife who bought a much bigger house and said they where buying it for investment potential. I wanted to hit them across the head with a 2x4! Some people even think the RE is better than the stock market. Over the last 70 years the stock market has averaged around 11% whereas RE has averaged 3%, and when you subtract inflation it’s zero. The last ten years RE has done really well, but I look at things over 20-30 periods of time. Don’t get me wrong you can make money in real estate, but those that do are doing it full time and know what they are doing. Not the wannabe flipper. Ben Stein has written some good articles on RE lately. Below is one.

http://finance.yahoo.com/expert/article/yourlife/37252

oregonpackfan
06-25-2007, 03:01 PM
Freakout,

It sounds like you might have a good working knowledge of the housing marking in the Portland, OR Metro area.

Housing prices continue to rise and new homes continue to be built here. My 2007 Thomas Guide reports that 1,218 new STREETS have been added since its 2006 edition! Again that is STREETS, not houses, added in just 1 year.

Recently, a study came out that showed Portland was one of the LEAST affordable areas to live when you compare salaries to the price of housing. People who relocate out here from the Midwest are appalled at the cost of housing compared to what they are used to back home.

MJZiggy
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM
The price of my house is still double what it was when we bought the joint in '01. It will take a little longer to sell than when we bought this place, but it still costs a lot to live here. They have flooded the condo market though and are now having to rent out new units because they can't sell them.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 04:03 PM
The market in Florida has been quite an interesting one.

We bought our house in 2000 and payed 335,000 for it. About 3-4 years later the market here was just crazy. We had people calling our house and asking if we would be interested in selling. Homes like ours were going for 850,000.

Presently, the market, even though better then it was a few months ago, is still heavily a buyer's market. However, the buyers aren't flocking in. looking to cash in on a good opportunity.

We were fortunate enough to know a couple that was interested in buying our house. Unfortunately, the couple that look to be buying it are two lawyers. Control-freak lawyers.

In Florida, buyers can drop you 50,000 easy, no questions asked. The market should get back, but, for now, it's pretty bleak.

Hopefully, we'll be able to go through negotiations smoothly and move up to Maryland. :wave:

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 04:44 PM
Here in CT it's taken a slight dip. Not anything that makes it affordable for the first time home buyers. I'm amazed at how much 'further' out people are willing to live and still commute into the city......................has alot to do with the prices being what they are.

LL2
06-25-2007, 04:47 PM
What part of Florida? I have a friend in Orlando looking to put his home onthe market. How long is it taking people to sell their house? I've read Florida is among the highest in the nation in foreclosures. My thinking is that has to be tanking home values in some areas.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 05:34 PM
Freakout,

It sounds like you might have a good working knowledge of the housing marking in the Portland, OR Metro area.

Housing prices continue to rise and new homes continue to be built here. My 2007 Thomas Guide reports that 1,218 new STREETS have been added since its 2006 edition! Again that is STREETS, not houses, added in just 1 year.

Recently, a study came out that showed Portland was one of the LEAST affordable areas to live when you compare salaries to the price of housing. People who relocate out here from the Midwest are appalled at the cost of housing compared to what they are used to back home.

My wife and I love the Portland area, she would like to get something in town (NW of course) and I want something a little more rural...were going to hold off for now until things cool down.
I have a couple of things I base any RE purchase one, I would want to live there, being able to rent it easily and the price of course. My grandparents used to live in Brookings so I am familiar with the southern coast and I think I'll look into Port Orford next time I'm down...I have fond memories of that stretch of coast roaming with my grandparents.

Portland is a town known for its planning so I'm a little surprised it has grown so much so fast...must be across the river to the north. :lol:

My youngest daughter who was going to school in Portland now says she is going to school in Bend next fall so I'm looking around there as well...talk about a crazy market...that place has grown!

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 06:25 PM
Here in CT it's taken a slight dip. Not anything that makes it affordable for the first time home buyers. I'm amazed at how much 'further' out people are willing to live and still commute into the city......................has alot to do with the prices being what they are.

Out of curiosity, where in Connecticut do you live?

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 06:34 PM
What part of Florida? I have a friend in Orlando looking to put his home onthe market. How long is it taking people to sell their house? I've read Florida is among the highest in the nation in foreclosures. My thinking is that has to be tanking home values in some areas.

I live in Naples, which is in SW Florida, right on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. 3 years ago, this place was the boomtown of the USA, even higher then Las Vegas. If you were looking for a new home you'd have to enter a raffle with thousands of other people. If you walked into a gated communities' office they'd shoo you away, not caring about you. That's how busy it was.

Now, they'd be treating you like royalty, begging you to buy a home.

How long does it take people to sell their house? Put it this way, it's come to the point where a lot of people aren't even bothering putting their house on the market, because the chance of them selling it are minuscule.

It's like this all across Florida. No where is immune.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 07:00 PM

I live in Naples, which is in SW Florida, right on the coast of the Gulf of Mexico. 3 years ago, this place was the boomtown of the USA, even higher then Las Vegas. If you were looking for a new home you'd have to enter a raffle with thousands of other people. If you walked into a gated communities' office they'd shoo you away, not caring about you. That's how busy it was.

How long does it take people to sell their house? Put it this way, it's come to the point where a lot of people aren't even bothering putting their house on the market, because the chance of them selling it are minuscule.

What about the Keys?

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 07:02 PM

Out of curiosity, where in Connecticut do you live?

I'm in the southeastern section, near New London. By rail, only 1hr 45 min. from Grand Central.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM

I know someone who bought a condo somewhere in Florida a few years ago...I think it was one of those deals where people were paying for someone to stay in line for them just to get a chance to buy one of these places. Crazy.

oregonpackfan
06-25-2007, 07:03 PM
Freakout,

My wife and I love the Portland area, she would like to get something in town (NW of course) and I want something a little more rural...were going to hold off for now until things cool down.
I have a couple of things I base any RE purchase one, I would want to live there, being able to rent it easily and the price of course. My grandparents used to live in Brookings so I am familiar with the southern coast and I think I'll look into Port Orford next time I'm down...I have fond memories of that stretch of coast roaming with my grandparents.

Portland is a town known for its planning so I'm a little surprised it has grown so much so fast...must be across the river to the north. :lol:

My youngest daughter who was going to school in Portland now says she is going to school in Bend next fall so I'm looking around there as well...talk about a crazy market...that place has grown!

Freak Out,

Brookings, which is on the Southern Oregon Coast, is very attractive as it is known as the "Banana Belt" of the Coast. Because of ocean currents, it is warmer and has less rainfall than most of the Oregon Coast. Prices are very high there as retirees from California are buying up land there.

The growth of Portland is on all 3 sides--east, south, and west. As you know, the Columbia River is the northern border. The entire Vancouver area is also growning.

In Central Oregon, the Bend-Sisters area is growing and very high-priced. If you buy in Sisters, you may run into Dan Fouts, former U. of O and Charger QB. He makes Sisters his permanent home.

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 07:10 PM
I recently read that approx. 2,000 people a day move into the 'valley of the sun' otherwise know as Phoenix ( and all it's 'burbs').

Being that it is a desert, in the midst of a long drought, how long can they keep this up? Eventually the water has to give out.

I lived there in the 60's, the humidity was in the low single digits, not so anymore. Yes, it's still dry, but with all the lawns, pools, 'lakes'........they even have mosquitos now.

Housing is very reasonable.
But then when California has the 'big one', AZ will be oceanfront. :wink:

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 07:10 PM
What about the Keys?

I'm not sure about the Keys. I'm sure they've taken a hit, as everybody else has. However, I don't know if it has been as hard as everywhere else had it.

Partial
06-25-2007, 07:19 PM
I recently read that approx. 2,000 people a day move into the 'valley of the sun' otherwise know as Phoenix ( and all it's 'burbs').

Being that it is a desert, in the midst of a long drought, how long can they keep this up? Eventually the water has to give out.

I lived there in the 60's, the humidity was in the low single digits, not so anymore. Yes, it's still dry, but with all the lawns, pools, 'lakes'........they even have mosquitos now.

My pops just bought a vacation/rental property out there.

MadtownPacker
06-25-2007, 07:47 PM
All I gotta say is that is you want to move to central Cali now is the time to act.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 07:49 PM

My in laws own a "Park Model" out in Apache Junction, very reasonably priced and very nice facilities in this particular park. Works out well for them in the winter months...they spend the summer back in Minnesota.

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 07:51 PM
All I gotta say is that is you want to move to central Cali now is the time to act.

I consider central Cali the Napa or Geyserville area. :wink: Where you talking about? Fresneck?

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 08:53 PM
I recently read that approx. 2,000 people a day move into the 'valley of the sun' otherwise know as Phoenix ( and all it's 'burbs')

I would never want to live in a place like that. That'd be way too hectic for me. Florida's been similar to that, but 2,000? That's just crazy.

Phoenix would be too hot for me, anyway. They have 89 days a year that are over 100 degrees. :shock:

GrnBay007
06-25-2007, 09:25 PM
Home Sales Hit Slowest Pace in Four Years
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER,
AP

WASHINGTON (June 25) - Reflecting further housing troubles, sales of existing homes in the United States fell in May to the lowest level in four years while the median home price dropped for a record 10th consecutive month.

The National Association of Realtors reported Monday that sales of existing single-family homes and condominiums dropped by 0.3 percent to 5.99 million units in May, the slowest sales pace since June of 2003.

The median price of a home sold last month dropped to $223,700, down 2.1 percent from a year ago. It marked the 10th straight price decline compared with a year ago, the longest stretch of weakness on record.

The sales decline reflected weakness in the South, where sales dropped by 3.4 percent, and the West, where sales were down by 0.8 percent.

Sales actually showed strength in the Northeast, rising by 5.8 percent, and the Midwest, where they were up 0.7 percent.

In a troubling sign for the future, the inventory of unsold homes rose by 5 percent to 4.43 million units in May, a level that would take 8.9 months to clear out at the May sales pace. That is the highest inventory level since the last deep slump in housing in 1992.

Analysts said housing is being hurt currently by high inventories and the recent crisis in subprime mortgages, which has caused lenders to tighten their standards, making it harder for potential buyers to qualify for loans.

They said all of the housing troubles seem to be causing a crisis in confidence, making people delay decisions to buy homes.

"I think psychological factors are currently the biggest drag on the housing market, in addition to a disruption from tighter credit for subprime borrowers," said Lawrence Yun, senior economist with the Realtors.

"Household formation has slowed dramatically since late 2006, implying that many people are doubling-up. They're adding roommates are moving in with parents," he said.

The current slump in housing is the worst since the 1989-92 downturn. It is occurring after a prolonged boom that saw sales of new and existing homes set new records for five consecutive years.

Analysts believe that the median home price, the midpoint where half the homes sold for more and half for less, will continue falling until builders move further to cut back on production of new homes coming on the market.

The Realtors are predicting that the median home price will decline by 1.3 percent this year while sales are forecast to drop by 4.6 percent. It would be the first annual price decline in four decades of record-keeping.

Another potential problem is mortgage rates, which have been trending higher in recent weeks although they still remain below their historical averages.

According to Freddie Mac, the average commitment rate for 30-year mortgages was 6.26 percent in May, up from 6.18 percent in April.

---------
Wonder how long this is expected to last

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2007, 10:01 PM
Anybody surprised?

MadtownPacker
06-25-2007, 10:31 PM
I consider central Cali the Napa or Geyserville area. :wink: Where you talking about? Fresneck?That's not CenCal you pendejo. Im not sure what those garlic breath wine sipping snobs consider themselves.

Freak Out
06-26-2007, 12:01 AM
I consider central Cali the Napa or Geyserville area. :wink: Where you talking about? Fresneck?That's not CenCal you pendejo. Im not sure what those garlic breath wine sipping snobs consider themselves.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-26-2007, 03:00 AM
I recently read that approx. 2,000 people a day move into the 'valley of the sun' otherwise know as Phoenix ( and all it's 'burbs')

I would never want to live in a place like that. That'd be way too hectic for me. Florida's been similar to that, but 2,000? That's just crazy.

Phoenix would be too hot for me, anyway. They have 89 days a year that are over 100 degrees. :shock:

You should spend 5 minutes on the Arizona State campus, and then decide.

packinpatland
06-26-2007, 05:48 AM

Scott, do you mean that in a good or not good way?
ASU's campus has become a city in of itself. It's huge!

LL2
06-26-2007, 08:37 AM
Home Sales Hit Slowest Pace in Four Years
By MARTIN CRUTSINGER,
AP

In a troubling sign for the future, the inventory of unsold homes rose by 5 percent to 4.43 million units in May, a level that would take 8.9 months to clear out at the May sales pace. That is the highest inventory level since the last deep slump in housing in 1992.

It would take 9 months just to eliminate existing inventory of homes for sale, without another home going up for sale. You can blame the greedy mass production home builders for that.

oregonpackfan
06-26-2007, 03:10 PM

Scott, is ASU where you do your wife-shopping?

packinpatland
06-26-2007, 06:12 PM

Scott, is ASU where you do your wife-shopping?

:shock: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: That was good!!!!