PDA

View Full Version : Bears cut Tank Johnson?

Rastak
06-25-2007, 02:20 PM
From PFT.com

TA-TA, TANK

The Chicago Bears have dumped defensive tackle Tank Johnson, only three days after he was stopped in Arizona on suspicion of driving a vehicle with alcohol in his system.

And, for a change, the team isn't trying to make the decision look like it was based on performance issues.

"We are upset and embarrassed by Tank's actions last week," said Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo. "He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't, and we have decided to move on." (And move out.)

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank: players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately, Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal."

Apparently, the Bears put Johnson on last-chance status in December, after he was arrested on gun charges. He later served 60 days in jail for violation of the terms of probation arising from a prior weapons charge, and Commissioner Roger Goodell slapped him with an eight-game suspension, which could have been reduced to six with good behavior.

It remains to be seen whether Johnson accepts the punishment, or whether he files a non-injury grievance, arguing that the team is not empowered to discipline a player for violations of the Personal Conduct Policy. However, paragraph 11 of the Standard Player Contract seems to allow teams to cut players whose actions reflect poorly on the franchise.

The Bears now are forced to find a replacement for Johnson. The Dolphins recently cut defensive tackle Dan Wilkinson, who might be inclined to join the team if he can avoid most if not all of training camp and the preseason. Since the Bears were planning to be without Johnson for at least the first six games of the regular season, the team might be willing to sign Wilkinson in September, and then work him into playing shape.

Johnson, a second-round pick in the 2004 draft, had been signed through 2008. He will initially pass through waivers. If unclaimed, he will become an unrestricted free agent.

He will still be required to serve his suspension, if he lands with a new team. His latest incident could also subject him to an additional suspension.

Rastak
06-25-2007, 02:22 PM
From ESPN:

CHICAGO -- The Bears waived troubled defensive tackle Tank Johnson on Monday after he was pulled over for speeding in Arizona last Friday.

Johnson already is suspended for the first eight games of the 2007 NFl sason after violating probation on a gun violation.

"He compromised the credibility of our organization. We made it clear to him that he had no room for error. Our goal was to help someone through a difficult period in his life, but the effort needs to come from both sides. It didn't and we have decided to move on," general manager Jerry Angelo said in a statement.

Police in the Phoenix suburb of Gilbert said Johnson was stopped for driving 40 mph in a 25 mph zone at 3:30 a.m. Friday and the officer made observations that led him to believe Johnson was impaired.

Sgt. Andrew Duncan, a police spokesman, said Johnson was arrested for "DUI Impaired to the Slightest Degree" but was released without being booked or charged.

Duncan said Johnson was taken to the Gilbert police station, where officials drew blood for a blood-alcohol content test before his release. He described Johnson as "very cooperative."

The officer had probable cause to make an arrest, Duncan said. Test results aren't expected for up to two weeks, and they would be sent to Gilbert town prosecutors for consideration of any charges.

Earlier this month, NFL commissioner Roger Goodell suspended Johnson for half the regular season for violating the league's toughened personal conduct policy.

At the time Johnson, who recently spent two months in the Cook County jail for violating probation, called his suspension an "opportunity for me to move forward."

Goodell said the suspension could be reduced to six games if Johnson has no further involvement with law enforcement and undergoes counseling.

Last December, police raided the 300-pound defensive tackle's suburban Chicago home and found six unregistered firearms -- a violation of his probation on an earlier gun charge.

That charge stemmed from Johnson's 2005 arrest after a Chicago nightclub valet reported seeing Johnson with a handgun in his SUV. He subsequently pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor charge.

Two days after last December's raid, Willie B. Posey, Johnson's bodyguard, was shot and killed in an early morning fight while he and Johnson were at a Chicago nightclub.

Johnson was suspended by the Bears for one game for being at the club. He played in the Super Bowl as the Bears lost to Indianapolis.

In March, Johnson began his two-month jail stint. Last month, he pleaded guilty to a misdemeanor weapons charge stemming from the December raid as part of a deal with prosecutors that kept him from serving more time in jail. He was ordered to serve 45 days, which he served concurrently with the sentence for violating his probation.

"A lot of people within our organization gave extra time and energy to support Tank; players, coaches and our front office," coach Lovie Smith said. "We did our best to establish an environment for him to move forward. Ultimately Tank needed to live up to his side of the deal"

Zool
06-25-2007, 02:26 PM
Strike 2.

Patler
06-25-2007, 02:36 PM
I applaud the Bears. Ultimately, it is the teams, not the league, that will get player conduct back in order. If the teams don't tolerate it, it will decline.

Way to go, Bears!

:bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap: :bclap:

Patler
06-25-2007, 02:39 PM
Before anyone starts a "Should the Packers sign Tank Johnson" thread:

:no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no: :no:

oregonpackfan
06-25-2007, 02:46 PM

Way to make a pre-emptive strike, Patler!!

GoPackGo
06-25-2007, 02:55 PM
Is Pacman Jones the next idiot to be cut?

The Leaper
06-25-2007, 03:23 PM
If this is true, then I congratulate Chicago on having at least some kind of spine now...even if they didn't show much of it as they were making a Super Bowl run.

Of course, how many teams can actually be as moronic and shameful as Cincinnati...when Marvin Lewis is criticizing THE COPS OF CINCINNATI for picking on his innocent, pure little players? What a joke.

pittstang5
06-25-2007, 03:32 PM

HMMM. Well, I wasn't thinking about the Packers, however, I am very curious to see if anyone would scoop him up. Very, very, very NOT likely though, considering the suspension and now the possibility of even more games suspended.

Patler
06-25-2007, 03:41 PM

HMMM. Well, I wasn't thinking about the Packers, however, I am very curious to see if anyone would scoop him up. Very, very, very NOT likely though, considering the suspension and now the possibility of even more games suspended.

I think old Tank will be unemployed at least until such time as his suspension is done. What would be the point in signing him now?

Tarlam!
06-25-2007, 03:45 PM
What would be the point in signing him now?

Er, he can train. He can learn your system. You needn't pay him big bucks, and you need not pay him at all during his 2 months off....

Let's not forget, he can play....

MJZiggy
06-25-2007, 03:47 PM
If he's not on an active roster does that game still count against his suspension? I would think that he'd have to be employed by the NFL somewhere otherwise he just waits and gets picked right up again.

Patler
06-25-2007, 04:09 PM
What would be the point in signing him now?

Er, he can train. He can learn your system. You needn't pay him big bucks, and you need not pay him at all during his 2 months off....

Let's not forget, he can play....

He can train through training camp, then he disappears for half the season! Any training benefits will be lost during the suspension unless he keeps it up on his own. Learning the system? Overblown for a DT. He could come in and play with minimal "classroom" work.

Besides, the 8 game suspension might get extended now, or because of something he does while suspended. Why would any team want to waste time with a player who will not play for them until game #9 at the earliest? Why waste valuable reps and coaches time with him rather than the guy who will be playing the first 8 games?

At this point, I think teams will take a "wait and see" attitude with him. See if he behaves himself the rest of the summer and through the first 4-6 weeks of his suspension.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Er, he can train. He can learn your system.

And he can do it all from the comfort of his own home.

Any team that picks him up would be :crazy: .

Patler
06-25-2007, 04:15 PM
If he's not on an active roster does that game still count against his suspension? I would think that he'd have to be employed by the NFL somewhere otherwise he just waits and gets picked right up again.

Now that is a great question! Players serving game # suspensions that span their teams bye week do not get "credit" for it, so actually sit out another week. This will be an interesting issue for the league to deal with. When does his suspension start if he doesn't have a contract with any team?

Joemailman
06-25-2007, 04:22 PM

:satan:

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 04:41 PM

You'd have thought he'd have been one of the first, with the seriousness of his 'crimes'. :roll:

Freak Out
06-25-2007, 05:40 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:24 PM

You'd have thought he'd have been one of the first, with the seriousness of his 'crimes'. :roll:

The difference is that Tank was convicted and on probation and screwed up again. To date, and that's ending soon hopefully, Pacman has not be convicted of anything... He'll be gone after the conviction.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Gee, I'd have expected you to say that "you can never have too many good DT's". You've always been a little to 'emotional'. Long on symbolism and short on substance (facts). :P :twisted: :wink:

MadtownPacker
06-25-2007, 10:44 PM
Man I thought this was a joke in the other thread. Now we have to hear Beerman talk about how the bears have higher morals. :rs:

Scott Campbell
06-26-2007, 02:25 AM
Man I thought this was a joke in the other thread. Now we have to hear Beerman talk about how the bears have higher morals. :rs:

Let's not forget that da Bears drafted this gem.

Iron Mike
06-26-2007, 07:16 AM

Don't you mean "higher morrels?" :rs:

Fritz
06-26-2007, 08:20 AM
Shame on the team that signs this guy. He's been given, what, three second chances? I'd like to see the guy get his life turned around, but if another team signs him, then the lesson is....what? As long as you are talented, we really don't care what you do?

4and12to12and4
06-26-2007, 05:24 PM
The reason they let him go is because to be quite honest, he just isn't that good. His name "Tank" is the best thing he's got going for him. If he were a much better player, the Bears would have been much more patient.

BEARMAN
06-28-2007, 08:13 AM
I know nothing of morals... (I have none), but I do know that Tank was given a second chance and HE blew it ! :oops:
Now loosing a star players hurts, no one can say it dose not, but at least all the hoopla about him is over, done, gone, ... move on.
Da BEARS drafted and aquired some "D" linemen so we will make due and move on. 8-)

MJZiggy
06-28-2007, 08:29 AM
Do you think they drafted linemen because they saw this coming?

retailguy
06-28-2007, 08:32 AM
Do you think they drafted linemen because they saw this coming?

Nah, they lucked into it. :P