PDA

View Full Version : OT : Bears signed CB Nathan Vasher

packers11
06-25-2007, 06:45 PM
www.rotoworld.com

Bears signed CB Nathan Vasher to a five-year, $28 million contract extension through 2012. $14 million is guaranteed.

Is it me or did they overpay a ton for him???

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
He's nothing special. He's fast, but he doesn't deserve that type of money.

BobDobbs
06-25-2007, 08:30 PM
He does make plays on the ball and corners are getting expensive. There just aren't enough of them to go around and they take a little bit to develop. Samuel got eight years eighty million with 22million guaranteed. I feel like the Bears got about market value for a good young corner.

If he has a strong year they would have had to pay more next year. I wonder what this does to the Briggs situation. When Sherman signed Harris to an extension that was pretty much it for Mike McKenzie.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:31 PM

Why? Because he plays for the Bears? He's a damn good DB that's on his way up. Couch it however you want, this was a GOOD signing of a good player.

This signing reminds me of a few years ago when the Eagles, preemptively locked up Sheldon Brown and Lito Sheppard. How has that paid off?

I still think Angelo is a punk, however, he's made some pretty good moves in the last couple of years. If wrecks ever gets it together.... (eeek). Yes, I realize that's not likely (thank GOD), but could you imagine? :shock:

Packnut
06-25-2007, 08:47 PM
Only someone who has'nt seen him play would say he's nothing special. He's a damn good CB and the Bears made a good move.

Partial
06-25-2007, 08:54 PM
He is certainly solid and he makes a lot of plays. I'd say they got him at a low price all things considered. Seems like a fair deal that he'll play through.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 08:59 PM
Only someone who has'nt seen him play would say he's nothing special. He's a damn good CB and the Bears made a good move.

Saying he's nothing special wasn't the right thing to say. He's solid, but I really don't think he's "damn good." He's fast and gets the INTs. That's what teams pay for. He's not different then DeAngelo Hall, IMO.

Partial
06-25-2007, 09:04 PM

Saying he's nothing special wasn't the right thing to say. He's solid, but I really don't think he's "damn good." He's fast and gets the INTs. That's what teams pay for. He's not different then DeAngelo Hall, IMO.

I would agree with that. I'd also add that he plays special teams and is more of a baller than an athlete(hall). He doesn't start on the Packers though, even despite his ability to make big plays.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 09:19 PM
I would agree with that. I'd also add that he plays special teams and is more of a baller than an athlete(hall). He doesn't start on the Packers though, even despite his ability to make big plays.

I'm not so sure I agree with this. Quite honestly, I think he does start on the Packers, and you would see Woodson move to Safety, or he would NOT have been signed in FA last season.

I'm pretty sure Vasher starts on almost any NFL team this season. Might be the #2 CB on 2/3rds of the teams in the league, but, I can't think of anyone that puts that kind of talent on the bench.

Packnut
06-25-2007, 09:20 PM

Well, obviously your in the minority on this one. His peers thought he was good enough to make him a pro-bowler. The below is from an ESPN article today:

A fourth-round choice in the 2004 draft, Vasher is one of the NFL's top cornerbacks, a far better coverage defender than most Tampa-2 style corners. The former University of Texas standout has a big-play mentality, as evidenced by his 16 interceptions in three seasons. He made the Pro Bowl last season.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 09:30 PM
[A fourth-round choice in the 2004 draft, Vasher is one of the NFL's top cornerbacks

One of the top CBs?! I can name 10+ CBs I would much rather have then him.

Partial
06-25-2007, 09:38 PM

I'm not so sure I agree with this. Quite honestly, I think he does start on the Packers, and you would see Woodson move to Safety, or he would NOT have been signed in FA last season.

I'm pretty sure Vasher starts on almost any NFL team this season. Might be the #2 CB on 2/3rds of the teams in the league, but, I can't think of anyone that puts that kind of talent on the bench.

Right, I agree we could move Woodson. What I was implying is that Woodson and Harris are better corners as of today. Neither will be in a year I suspect, though.

Partial
06-25-2007, 09:40 PM

Well, obviously your in the minority on this one. His peers thought he was good enough to make him a pro-bowler. The below is from an ESPN article today:

A fourth-round choice in the 2004 draft, Vasher is one of the NFL's top cornerbacks, a far better coverage defender than most Tampa-2 style corners. The former University of Texas standout has a big-play mentality, as evidenced by his 16 interceptions in three seasons. He made the Pro Bowl last season.

He gets a lot of plays but also gives up a lot of big plays. He's a lot like Asante Samuel imo, but not as good.

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2007, 10:06 PM
Vasher is solid, but overrated. He looks great because he's surrounded by Brian Urlacher, Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Mike Brown, Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, and Adawale Ogunleye. Having a great pass rush and better corners to cover the better receivers helps out. He made a ton of interceptions when he played nickelback, but this year facing the best receivers, he didn't look nearly as good. It's harder to make up for a lack of height when you aren't just covering slot receivers anymore. A good player, but far from a great one.

MadtownPacker
06-25-2007, 10:48 PM
Vate Nasher should donate some of that $$$ to Favre's foundation since many of #4's INTs made him rich. :bang:

Bretsky
06-25-2007, 10:57 PM

Hmmm; this seems to be the turtle battle cry. Nobody deseves the money they get so don't play the FA game and maybe someday prices will fall back

He's a decent DB; in today's market this is probably a fair deal

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2007, 11:48 PM
Why would this have anything to do with Thompson? If anything, the Bears just did what the Packers have been doing for the past two years--paying their own.

For me, Vasher isn't a special corner. He looks a lot better than he is because of the guys surrounding him. He made the Pro Bowl as a nickelback two years ago. Big deal! Plenty of undeserving players have made the Pro Bowl.

Numbers look fine for what they got, and he'll obviously help. It was a good signing.

Partial
06-25-2007, 11:50 PM
Why would this have anything to do with Thompson? If anything, the Bears just did what the Packers have been doing for the past two years--paying their own.

For me, Vasher isn't a special corner. He looks a lot better than he is because of the guys surrounding him. He made the Pro Bowl as a nickelback two years ago. Big deal! Plenty of undeserving players have made the Pro Bowl.

Numbers look fine for what they got, and he'll obviously help. It was a good signing.

Right, if he was an elite player he would have gotten paid like one. 5 mil a year for a premium position like CB is far from what a stud demands.

MJZiggy
06-26-2007, 12:02 AM
Vate Nasher should donate some of that $$$ to Favre's foundation since many of #4's INTs made him rich. :bang:

:lol: :lol: :? :( :cry: :cry:

Bretsky
06-26-2007, 02:08 AM

Yes you are right; apologies to BH as I had my head up my arse when I made that post.

Scott Campbell
06-26-2007, 02:34 AM
Vasher is solid, but overrated. He looks great because he's surrounded by Brian Urlacher, Charles Tillman, Lance Briggs, Mike Brown, Tommie Harris, Alex Brown, and Adawale Ogunleye..

He hasn't been surrounded by Mike Brown and Tommie Harris nearly as much as those other guys.

If Nate Clements set the bar for decent CB's this year, then the Vasher signing looks like a pretty good value.

Zool
06-26-2007, 07:44 AM

Yes you are right; apologies to BH as I had my head up my arse when I made that post.I still say you're obsessed.

Zool
06-26-2007, 07:46 AM
He's a decent DB; in today's market this is probably a fair deal

But this made up for it. In 2003 this deal would be way too much for a #2, but in todays market its about right on for a guy who's very solid and young.

Packnut
06-26-2007, 09:25 AM
I think the following paragraph puts this "debate" on Vasher into perspective.

Vasher was picked by the Bears in the fourth round (110th overall) of the 2004 draft and was voted to the Pro Bowl after the 2005 season. He is the Bears’ active leader with 16 career interceptions, and is the first player in almost 50 years to record that many picks as a Bear in his first three seasons.

First player in Bears history in the last 50 years to have that many picks in his first 3 years. That says a ton. How anyone calls this "average" is beyond me. The numbers don't lie in this case. Picks change the big MO in games and having a ballhawk is a HUGE plus. For those who don't know, Vasher is a fan fav here in Chicago. The radio talk on his extension boils down to all the radio guys saying this extension was a steal for the Bears.

Hey, I hate the Bears more than ANYONE in this forum, but I don't let that hatred influence my opinion on talent. Regardless of benefiting from the Bears pass rush, Vasher still has to be in position and more importantly, catch the ball. He'll be going to the pro bowl for years to come.

As a side note, I was talking to a few Bear fans yesterday and it's amazing how the opinions on their GM has changed. After the first 2 years, Angelo was lucky they did'nt string him up. Now, the guy could run for mayor and win. I hope our GM follows the same pattern..........

Bossman641
06-26-2007, 04:44 PM
I have to agree with packnut on this one. This is a very good signing for the Bears. Vasher is a very good cover 2 corner. Would he be a good fit for the Packers scheme? I don't believe so. He has very good instincts and plays the ball well in the air, but struggles in straight man-to-man coverage. When the Bears struggle to get to the QB with only 4 and have to blitz both Vasher and Tillman are exposed.

I think the more interesting question here is what exactly will this do to the Briggs situation? It seems like the Bears are working on getting Tillman a new deal as well. How will Briggs react when he sees all these new contracts? Reminds me somewhat of the McKenzie/Harris situation where Harris got the bucks while MM sat.