PDA

View Full Version : Packers trying for Larry Johnson?

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 06:59 PM
According to Scout.com, the Packers have offered the Chiefs 1st and 4th round draft picks for Johnson.

I don't have access to PackerReport.com, apparently there's an article by Todd North, about GB trying to get Larry Johnson.
Anyone shed some light?

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 07:12 PM
Probably just BS.

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 07:22 PM
Probably just BS.

You're right.
http://packers.scout.com/2/638963.html

Partial
06-25-2007, 07:25 PM
That was before the draft

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 07:31 PM
I didn't even see it the first time! :roll:

Partial
06-25-2007, 07:40 PM
However,

This one is current
http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=2&c=654291&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fpackers.scout.com%2f2%2f 654291.html

]{ilr]3
06-25-2007, 08:03 PM
More of the rumors are now leaning twords Corey Dillian. I dont really like the guy, i always thought he was a piss ass whiney baby in Cinci. But its more realistic that the Packers would be trying to sign him and not LJ.

packinpatland
06-25-2007, 08:29 PM
I just hate the fact that we'd go for 'Patriot leftovers'.

retailguy
06-25-2007, 08:38 PM
I just hate the fact that we'd go for 'Patriot leftovers'.

Look, I'm no Corey Dillon fan, HOWEVER, he's got a better chance of running behind our line than ANYONE on our roster.

ppl keep knocking him because he doesn't "know" the whole ZBS thing, but what has happened with our line to suggest that "consistently" there will be a hole? If there is no hole, then what? Dillon knows what to do with 11 years experience. Jackson won't have a clue, and you really can't expect him to this season, and Morency did not prove he can run behind a bad line, his two good games notwithstanding. Cement shoes Herron couldn't get to the hole if there was one, and that leave PJ Pope, (oh boy). If Pope hasn't worked in a HYVEE grocery store and played Arena ball, then, well, we're screwed.

Behind an inexperienced line, if we had Dillon, I'd say that's a GOOD thing, even if, it slows the development of Brandon Jackson a bit. (Morency is likely not a future to build behind.) (Sorry Partial, but the odds are mighty long against him.)

Tony Oday
06-25-2007, 09:02 PM
What could we offer that would be better than a 1st and a 4th? DAMN! If I was KC I would have done that deal for sure.

Rastak
06-25-2007, 09:52 PM
I recently got Scout.com

Here she be....

Here we go again with Larry Johnson. Reports and rumors again have surfaced that the Kansas City Chiefs star running back may be dealt to another NFL team yet this summer.
These are the same rumors that were discussed widely on the Internet and beyond just before the NFL draft in April. And it still appears very possible that the Chiefs will trade Johnson for the right price. The Green Bay Packers, along with the Tiki Barber-less New York Giants, Philadelphia Eagles and New Orleans Saints, are some of the teams rumored to be interested.

A Scout.com source in Kansas City insists that the Packers offered the Chiefs a couple of mid-round draft picks in April, but that wasn’t enough. The Chiefs wanted Green Bay’s picks in the first, second and third rounds, according to the source, and the deal, allegedly, fell apart.

Now it has been reported that Johnson, who is scheduled to earn $1.7 million this season, is threatening to hold out on the Chiefs in training camp if he does not get a restructured deal. The Chiefs have been quiet on the topic, but many feel that they are trying to deal Johnson because he doesn’t fit into the big picture in Kansas City. The Chiefs dealt away veteran quarterback Trent Green to Miami and are going with second-year quarterback Brodie Croyle this season. Many feel that by the time Kansas City will be competitive, the workhorse Johnson will be too bruised and battered to be effective.

We’ll see, but in any case it is no surprise, if the rumors are true, that Packers general manager Ted Thompson refused to surrender three top draft picks for Johnson. If Kansas City is seeking multiple picks for Johnson, who turns 28 in November, you can bet that Green Bay won’t be a player – whether it makes Brett Favre happy or not.

Thompson values draft picks like many value a cold beverage on a hot, summer day. We all know that from the Randy Moss deal with Oakland that fell apart on draft weekend. Plus, Thompson selected two backs with lots of potential – Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn – in the recent NFL draft.

Along with Vernand Morency and Noah Herron, the rookie backs may not have the big name or experience that Johnson possesses, but they do possess the quickness and burst essential for thriving in Green Bay’s zone-blocking scheme. They’ve got the desire and attitude to prove all doubters wrong. They’ve got the ‘fresh’ legs that other veterans lose quickly after a handful of seasons in the league.

While Johnson, a bruiser-type back, has had all kinds of success in the last two seasons, there is no guarantee that his production in Kansas City would translate into Green Bay’s offensive scheme.

For the aforementioned reasons alone, don’t expect LJ to be suiting up in Green Bay this season. On top of that, he is seeking a blockbuster contract for his services. He’s earned the right to negotiate for a huge deal, but he’s also going to have to work it out

Charles Woodson
06-25-2007, 10:02 PM
:alc: :smk: :alc: :smk: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

No more rumors! no more rumors!

HarveyWallbangers
06-25-2007, 10:07 PM
Corey Dillon blows. I'd rather give Brandon Jackson and Vernand Morency a shot.

BallHawk
06-25-2007, 10:19 PM

Ditto.

MJZiggy
06-25-2007, 10:20 PM
:alc: :smk: :alc: :smk: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2: :bs2:

Why not? It's the offseason. It's not like there's any real news happening until training camp, unless you consider LaRon Landry's...ummm...issues to be news... :laugh: :violin:

Scott Campbell
06-26-2007, 02:40 AM
The Chiefs wanted Green Bay’s picks in the first, second and third rounds, according to the source, and the deal, allegedly, fell apart.

Geez, why not call him Herschel Walker.

Do we look like Vikings???

Scott Campbell
06-26-2007, 02:45 AM

I want those guys to have a shot too. But Dillon was 3rd in the NFL in rushing touchdowns last year even though he was splitting carries with Maroney. He might have enough left in the tank to help our anemic red zone offense.

Fritz
06-26-2007, 08:39 AM

Why not? It's the offseason. It's not like there's any real news happening until training camp, unless you consider LaRon Landry's...ummm...issues to be news... :laugh: :violin:

I missed the LaRon Landry news. What are his "issues"?

As for Johnson, why would the Packers give up the farm - or even a single, second round pick - for a back who is entering what is, for a running back, middle age?

MJZiggy
06-26-2007, 08:54 AM
It seems that Coach Gibbs decided to do a little teambuilding fun and gave his team the choice of bowling or paintball, and our boy LaRon chose the paintball. Seems he took a shot in a....ummmm......tender spot (if you will) :oops: and couldn't practice for a week afterward. Appears to me he should have chosen the bowling... :shock:

Packnut
06-26-2007, 09:07 AM
It seem's as though EVERY rumor involving a RB has had the Packers in it. The reason is most believe we're screwed at RB so they just assume Thompson is looking for one. It's obvious these guys don't do their homework as far as Teddy goes. He ain't giving none up under any circumstances for anyone.

At this point, Thompson has laid down his plan and it would be a disaster for him to change now. He's on public record saying the talent has to come from with-in and he believes the talent is there. Everyone needs to just sit back and relax and watch the season un-fold.

GBRulz
06-26-2007, 11:25 AM
Any chance that this is what George Koonce was talking about?? na, too good to be true.

woodbuck27
06-26-2007, 01:23 PM
Any chance that this is what George Koonce was talking about?? na, too good to be true.

I believe you are referring to this:

http://www.packersnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070626/PKR01/706260525/1989

Posted June 26, 2007

Koonce: Team may add a 'big name'

If George Koonce's nose is right, the Green Bay Packers' offense might get an upgrade.

Koonce, who recently resigned his position as the Packers' director of player development to accept a job with Marquette University, has caused a stir on blogs and Internet message boards with his remarks to a Milwaukee radio station Friday.

At the end of an interview on "The Gary and Cliff Show" on WSSP (AM-1250), Koonce said

"the offseason's not over with quite yet, so don't be surprised if ... a big name (comes) in before training camp."

Pressed by the hosts for more information, Koonce refused to provide a name, but said he was talking about an offensive player.

"I'm not going to spill the beans," Koonce said, "but ... I sniffed around a little bit before I left."

Considering the Packers' failure to land Randy Moss and countless other rumors that have come and gone, this could be one more letdown for fans frustrated by the team's inactivity in free agency.

But with about $10 million of salary-cap space (after the rookie pool is spent) and more than a month until training camp, General Manager Ted Thompson has plenty of time and flexibility to augment the roster — if someone's available at the right price.

— Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

BallHawk
06-26-2007, 01:32 PM
Koonce is just screwing with everyone.

I'd place the odds of LJ in Green Bay at 5%.

woodbuck27
06-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Koonce is just screwing with everyone.

I'd place the odds of LJ in Green Bay at 5%.

I give that just a small chance of coming to a reality. Strictly based on the psychology of TT or those directing him and the verbal stances we read fr. him.

This will be TT's year to really take stock. He has the CAP in good health and he isn't suddenly going to blow his last dollar on even a top RB. Also he's on record as saying he believes in what he already has on hand at RB will get it done.

Having said that it's also coming to the 'shit or get off the pot time' and the fans will 'in fact' get hungry for something positive.

The psychology of not trying and failing, doesn't measure up to that of at least trying and failing.

In conclusion.

If the control of the team is really all in TT's hands and he stands by his word and ways, then I don't expect that we'll see Larry Johnson in Green Bay this season.

SudsMcBucky
06-26-2007, 02:07 PM
Thompson values draft picks like many value a cold beverage on a hot, summer day.

Love this quote. Although, I may love MY cold beverages a little more. :glug:

PackerBlues
06-26-2007, 02:56 PM
I think there is still a pretty good chance that some teams are going to fall in love with a draft pick or rookie player enough during training camp or the preseason games, that we will see some worthwhile veterans cut that even TT cannot pass up.

probably wishfull thinking on my part though.

packrulz
06-26-2007, 03:06 PM
TT give up draft picks for LJ? I'll believe it when I see it. I believe Koonce was referring to Corey Dillon.

LL2
06-26-2007, 08:32 PM
It would be awesome if TT got some balls and made a deal for LJ. Give him a 4 yr deal. The offense would be down right scary with LJ. I don't want Dillon. Only sign Dillion of our guys are not producing by week 3 of the season.

retailguy
06-26-2007, 10:36 PM
It would be awesome if TT got some balls and made a deal for LJ. Give him a 4 yr deal. The offense would be down right scary with LJ. I don't want Dillon. Only sign Dillion of our guys are not producing by week 3 of the season.

yep, that'll give Thompson some GREAT leverage in signing him.

wist43
06-27-2007, 07:05 AM
TT will never give up a high draft pick for a current player...

Besides, LJ is too big to play for the Packers at RB (6' 2", 230)... maybe guard??? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tony Oday
06-27-2007, 08:25 AM
I never understood the GMs love affair with draft picks. I mean when Dillon was traded to the Pats it was for a SECOND ROUND PICK!!! WTF he was at the top of his game. I would love to know who that second rounder turned into.

I also remember Shaun Alexander could have been had for a second rounder. I just cant believe how many good players can be had for picks and the odds of a pick becoming a good player cant be that great.

Who would you rather have on this team? Larry Johnson, Michael Turner? Or Justin Harrel?

wist43
06-27-2007, 09:00 AM
I definitely would have thrown a 2nd rounder at SD for Turner. Of course the tender was at a 1st and a 3rd, but I'm pretty sure they would have taken a 2nd straight up.

So the 2nd turns into Bandon Jackson... who would you rather have??? Jackson or Turner???

To me, it's a no brainer - Turner has proven he can be a player in the league, Jackson is smaller and not only has proven nothing at the NFL level, he did very little in college due to being part of a rotation at Nebraska. In fact, his lack of playing time was one of the reasons he came out a year early.

If we had Turner in the fold, I'd be somewhat more opptimistic... instead, another year of developing 823 more draftees. On top of last years 637 picks, and next years 984 picks. :wave:

HarveyWallbangers
06-27-2007, 09:18 AM
I definitely would have thrown a 2nd rounder at SD for Turner. Of course the tender was at a 1st and a 3rd, but I'm pretty sure they would have taken a 2nd straight up.

What makes you "pretty sure?" Some team would have given up a 2nd rounder for him--if that's all it would have taken. San Diego publicly stated they wanted a 1st round pick for him.

wist43
06-27-2007, 11:31 AM
[quote=wist43]I definitely would have thrown a 2nd rounder at SD for Turner. Of course the tender was at a 1st and a 3rd, but I'm pretty sure they would have taken a 2nd straight up.

Somehow ended up with a double post.

wist43
06-27-2007, 11:33 AM

What makes you "pretty sure?" Some team would have given up a 2nd rounder for him--if that's all it would have taken. San Diego publicly stated they wanted a 1st round pick for him.

They were definitely looking to move him, and they knew the 1st and 3rd tender would scare everyone off enough that they could control the situation...

Nobody was going to give up a #1... SD wouldn't have accepted a 3rd... Papa Bear, Mama Bear, 2nd rounder.

A 2nd rounder would have been a reasonable offer... negotiate a throw-in 5th rounder, and you've got the makings of a deal.

Of course, TT trading a high pick for a player is never going to happen. I would definitely take Turner over Jackson though.

Patler
06-27-2007, 11:57 AM
They were definitely looking to move him, and they knew the 1st and 3rd tender would scare everyone off enough that they could control the situation...

Nobody was going to give up a #1... SD wouldn't have accepted a 3rd... Papa Bear, Mama Bear, 2nd rounder.

A 2nd rounder would have been a reasonable offer... negotiate a throw-in 5th rounder, and you've got the makings of a deal.

Strictly a guess on your part.

wist43
06-27-2007, 12:11 PM

My apologies Patler. I shall henceforth refrain from engaging in such tomfoolery lest I offend your sense of all that is right and correct in Packerland, i.e. anything TT says, doesn't say, does, or doesn't do.

:worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship: :worship:

Come to think of it, why are we even on this site??? It is, afterall, a complete waste of time. I think I'll quit posting until I've learned my lesson... with years of hard work and study, I think I can one day come to view the bottoms of your shoes in terms of football knowledge and team building strategy.

What could I have been thinking??? :doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

Partial
06-27-2007, 12:16 PM
[quote="wist43"]
/quote]

1. Yesterday didn't you just make a reference to how much you value 5th round picks? If thats the case how can you call it a throw-away?

2. Tennesee offered them a second and they didn't take it. They also supposedly offered a first rounder for next year. I highly doubt they were going to take any less than a current 1st because they are gearing up to make a run this year.

KYPack
06-27-2007, 12:53 PM
I never understood the GMs love affair with draft picks. I mean when Dillon was traded to the Pats it was for a SECOND ROUND PICK!!! WTF he was at the top of his game. I would love to know who that second rounder turned into.

I also remember Shaun Alexander could have been had for a second rounder. I just cant believe how many good players can be had for picks and the odds of a pick becoming a good player cant be that great.

Who would you rather have on this team? Larry Johnson, Michael Turner? Or Justin Harrel?

The Bengals used the pick they got for Dillon for starting saftey Madieu Williams. Williams is a solid player, good against the pass, good against the run, smart guy, coach on the field type. The trades of seconds for estqablished vets go both ways. Now the Bengals have a solid starter. Dillon did his job for NE.

I'd say the Bengals got over in the long haul, but NE got just what they need for that run.

Patler
06-27-2007, 02:02 PM

My apologies Patler. I shall henceforth refrain from engaging in such tomfoolery lest I offend your sense of all that is right and correct in Packerland, i.e. anything TT says, doesn't say, does, or doesn't do.

Come to think of it, why are we even on this site??? It is, afterall, a complete waste of time. I think I'll quit posting until I've learned my lesson... with years of hard work and study, I think I can one day come to view the bottoms of your shoes in terms of football knowledge and team building strategy.

Gee, when you say "definitely" and things like that, I guess the great and all knowing Wist is not to be challenged. WHAT WAS I EVER THINKING?

If the great and almighty Wist says it, the rest of us mere mortals must accept it unchallenged, because Lord knows Wist is the only one who knows of what he speaks.

Perhaps if you wouldn't speak so positively about things you are only guessing about, it would be accepted as an opinion and not dictatorial dogma.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

packrulz
06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
I think Dillon still has some talent, sure, he's old, but at least he doesn't have asthma. TT wouldn't have to give up any draft picks for him, just cash. I thought his effort was good at NE, Belicheck just wanted to go with the youth. He's no LJ, but I think he would help the team at low cost, which TT likes.

Pacopete4
06-27-2007, 02:08 PM
my friend plays of the USA football team that was just created this year to play in the world championship in japan. He coaches best pal works for the pack and he says they are tryin for the LJ trade as we speak and says that is the big named guy that will be coming in if it happens. I know, I know.. you dont have to believe me but it actually is a reliable source, its just whether or not the two sides can come together on the deal.

Patler
06-27-2007, 02:09 PM

Gee, all that for a six word statement on my part?

Interesting how you call players "trash" and "junk", ridicule things about the Packers players, coaches, front office, scouting department, etc. in post after post, belittle others opinions, then take umbrage if challenged.

retailguy
06-27-2007, 03:27 PM
my friend plays of the USA football team that was just created this year to play in the world championship in japan. He coaches best pal works for the pack and he says they are tryin for the LJ trade as we speak and says that is the big named guy that will be coming in if it happens. I know, I know.. you dont have to believe me but it actually is a reliable source, its just whether or not the two sides can come together on the deal.

Gee, I hope this is NOT true. Quite honestly, if this is really true, I would expect Earth to fall off of its axis, the sun to explode, and the remainder of Earth to become a black hole.

Ted Thompson has publicly stated that "he cannot fathom a situation" where he would give up next years draft choice. Those are his words - NOT MINE.

Ted's idea of a "name" player is Taco Wallace. Diaper man is NOT headed this way...

retailguy
06-27-2007, 03:32 PM
Interesting how you call players "trash" and "junk", ridicule things about the Packers players, coaches, front office, scouting department, etc. in post after post, belittle others opinions, then take umbrage if challenged.

Wist is frequently correct in his analysis, Nick Barnett notwithstanding. I privately nominated him for "Eeyore rat" about 8 months ago, but it was "sanitized" into skepitcal rat.

I'm proud of you Patler, that's the most I've seen you challege somebody since some idiot called you "dude" in JSO. Incidentally, I nominated you for "Dude Rat" a while back also. You see how much power I've got around here.... :wink:

Patler
06-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm proud of you Patler, that's the most I've seen you challege somebody since some idiot called you "dude" in JSO.

I don't remember that! Of course, now days I often don't remember what I had for breakfast....or if I even had breakfast! :lol:

Scott Campbell
06-27-2007, 04:29 PM
I don't know what Wist does for a living, but if he does't write lyrics for country music, then he missed his true calling.

RashanGary
06-27-2007, 06:12 PM
Ted Thompson has publicly stated that "he cannot fathom a situation" where he would give up next years draft choice. Those are his words - NOT MINE.

I don't remember him ever saying this. I think he said that he has a good feel for the value in the draft he's engauged in and has a hard time judging the value of a future draft. He said he can't fathom trading this years picks for next years picks because he doesn't have a feel for it. He never said that he wouldn't trade a pick for a proven player. A stud player in this case.

retailguy
06-27-2007, 06:28 PM

I don't remember him ever saying this. I think he said that he has a good feel for the value in the draft he's engauged in and has a hard time judging the value of a future draft. He said he can't fathom trading this years picks for next years picks because he doesn't have a feel for it. He never said that he wouldn't trade a pick for a proven player. A stud player in this case.

I really don't know why I bother with you sometimes, you have "selective memory disorder" clearly caused by a kool-aid overdose. :wink: I want them to win as badly as you do, but you've got to see the forest man....I'll give you a hint, it's in between all those damn trees!! I read everything!

I remember listening to the audio of his post draft press conference and groaning when I heard him say that. I'm not looking for that, but be my guest, you'll find it if you try...

Here is the article:

http://www.jsonline.com/story/index.aspx?id=598767

Notes: Thompson: No deal
General manger rejects Browns' trade offer for first-round pick
By BOB McGINN
bmcginn@journalsentinel.com
Posted: April 30, 2007

Green Bay - The Green Bay Packers turned down a trade offer from the Cleveland Browns on Saturday that would have brought them another first-round draft choice in 2008.

The Cleveland Browns wanted QB Brady Quinn so much, they offered the Packers a 2008 first-round pick.

Green Bay was among about 10 teams that Browns general manager Phil Savage called in a concerted bid to trade up for a first-round pick and select quarterback Brady Quinn of Notre Dame.

Eventually, the Browns located a trade partner in the Dallas Cowboys and got Quinn. In order to move up from the second round (No. 36) to the first round (No. 22), the Browns gave up their first-round pick next year.

Savage said the Browns, who had used the third selection on Wisconsin tackle Joe Thomas, began contacting teams when Buffalo was on the clock at No. 12. Asked if he was close to a deal before Dallas, Savage replied, "Maybe Green Bay."

Having noticed the Packers linked with running back Marshawn Lynch in most mock drafts, Savage guessed that general manager Ted Thompson might be willing to deal the No. 16 selection.

"There were a couple people in our room who were kind of for it," Thompson said. "I didn't dismiss it out of hand but I was never keen to it. We wanted the pick.

"I believe in building and that sort of thing. But I think you have to try to help your team. Quite frankly, I'd rather help us now rather than help us a year from now."

On Saturday, Thompson said he couldn't conceive of a situation in which he would trade a first-round pick in next year's draft.

Camp schedule
The Packers announced that the first practice of training camp would be Saturday, July 28, with all players due to report the previous day. The exhibition season starts Aug. 11.

Because of rules limiting player participation to rookies only, the Packers are referring to their first minicamp as rookie orientation camp. About 20 to 25 players will take part in some drills on Friday, Saturday and Sunday inside the Hutson Center.

The mandatory minicamp for all players is May 18-20. Organized team activities will be open to fans on six tentative dates: May 31 and June 4, 7, 11, 14 and 18.

Meanwhile, team Chairman Bob Harlan and players Nick Barnett, Aaron Rodgers and Mark Tauscher left this morning for a four-day bus trip across the state. Formal stops are scheduled for Superior tonight, Eau Claire on Wednesday, McFarland on Thursday and Racine on Friday.

Little contact
Thompson used the No. 16 pick on defensive tackle Justin Harrell of Tennessee without ever having a substantive conversation with him.

"I saw him at the combine and he was walking by and I shook hands with him," Thompson said. "We might have had about a minute conversation."

Thompson relied on pro scout Reggie McKenzie, a Tennessee graduate, for character references on Harrell.

Harrell's pre-draft visits were to Tampa Bay (fourth pick), San Francisco (11), St. Louis (13), Cincinnati (18), Dallas (22), Kansas City (23) and the New York Jets (25).

Harrell said he had 15-minute interviews at the combine with 29 or 30 teams but Green Bay wasn't one of them.

Close call
The Packers traded down from No. 112 to No. 119 in the fourth round immediately after Buffalo took running back Dwight Wright of Fresno State with the No. 111 pick. Wright didn't know if the Packers were going to take him but thought it was quite possible.

"I spoke with them at the combine and then I also met with their whole offensive staff," Wright said. "I think that was unusual. I think they liked me."

After Pittsburgh moved up to No. 112, the Steelers took the top punter on the Packers' board, Daniel Sepulveda of Baylor. However, Thompson indicated that the Packers weren't considering Sepulveda.

No interest
Thompson said the Packers were never involved in Seattle's lengthy effort to trade wide receiver Darrell Jackson. He went to San Francisco for a fourth-round pick.

Thompson was directing his first draft in 2000 when he helped draft Jackson in the third round.

RashanGary
06-27-2007, 06:36 PM
Thompson never said that, the reporter did.

Thompson said he couldn't trade value that he knew he had now for something he couldnt' judge later.

In this case he would be trading for something tangable now for something he doesn't know later. You are so far off that I think what you are saying is exactly the opposite of what he said.

retailguy
06-27-2007, 06:37 PM
Thompson never said that, the reporter did.

Thompson said he couldn't trade value that he knew he had now for something he couldnt' judge later.

In this case he would be trading for something tangable now for something he doesn't know later. You are so far off that I think it what you are saying is exactly the opposite of what he said.

Go listen to the press conference. McGinn got it right. You'll see.

RashanGary
06-27-2007, 06:47 PM
"There were a couple people in our room who were kind of for it," Thompson said. "I didn't dismiss it out of hand but I was never keen to it. We wanted the pick.
How does "I didn't dismiss it out of hand" turn into "Thompson couldn't fathom trading next years pick?"

"I believe in building and that sort of thing. But I think you have to try to help your team. Quite frankly, I'd rather help us now rather than help us a year from now."
How is not wanting to give up something he knew he had at 16 this year for something he can't judge next year, in his words by the way, the same thing as getting a proven playmaker now for a pick he can't judge later?

RG, you've said many times that you respected and related to the way Sherman went about his buisness. You've spoke about how you relate to the way he does things, sometimes it seemed like he remined you of. . . Well, "you".

Where am I going with this? Well, you see so much of yourself in Sherman that to admit Thompson is a good GM would be to admit Sherman is a bad GM as they are polar opposites. Thompson shredded everything Sherman did and he did it in an almost confrontational way. You will never admit Sherman was a failure becuase to admit that would be to admit your very own approach came up short. You can't admit that because you have too much pride.

The only reason I say this is because the sheer idiocy that you display at times can only be understood by me if there is a self protection factor in it. You are a smart man, a guy I respect, but you are so blind and idiotic when it comes to Thompson that you just cannot even understand plain english at times. Seriously, Thompson succeeding doesn't mean you are less of a person. You don't need to put him donw to make yourself feel better.

Rastak
06-27-2007, 06:50 PM
I don't know what Wist does for a living, but if he does't write lyrics for country music, then he missed his true calling.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

RashanGary
06-27-2007, 06:52 PM
RG,

I listened to that conference like 4 or 5 times slowly rewinding it and gathering what was being said. I don't even have to listen to it right now becuase I remember the message.

Thompson said, in his conference, that he was able to judge talent in the current draft "harrell in this instance" but he was unable to project future drafts as he did not know what would be there. He said he had a hard time giving up NOW what he knew was good value for soemthing later that he could not project or grasp as there was too much unknown.

How is not wanting to give up what he considered high value now for guess work later the same thing as now wanting to give up guess work later for something proven now?

It is the exact opposite and further proof to me that a smart man like yourself can be completely blinded into idiocy by emotion.

retailguy
06-27-2007, 06:54 PM
How does "I didn't dismiss it out of hand" turn into "Thompson couldn't fathom trading next years pick?"

How is not wanting to give up something he knew he had at 16 this year for something he can't judge next year, in his words by the way, the same thing as getting a proven playmaker now for a pick he can't judge later?

RG, you've said many times that you respected and related to the way Sherman went about his buisness. You've spoke about how you relate to the way he does things, sometimes it seemed like he remined you of. . . Well, "you".

Where am I going with this? Well, you see so much of yourself in Sherman that to admit Thompson is a good GM would be to admit Sherman is a bad GM as they are polar opposites. Thompson shredded everything Sherman did and he did it in an almost confrontational way. You will never admit Sherman was a failure becuase to admit that would be to admit your very own approach came up short. You can't admit that because you have too much pride.

The only reason I say this is because the sheer idiocy that you display at times can only be understood by me if there is a self protection factor in it. You are a smart man, a guy I respect, but you are so blind and idiotic when it comes to Thompson that you just cannot even understand plain english at times. Seriously, Thompson succeeding doesn't mean you are less of a person. You don't need to put him donw to make yourself feel better.

Umm... I don't know where you get all this, at all. Believe whatever you want, but this didn't have anything to do with Mike Sherman, and I don't see myself as similar to him. I respect Mike Sherman the PERSON. I think he did a damn good job here, and it was a shame he got fired.

Two years past that, it probably was the best thing for this franchise, but still a shame.

As I have said a hundred times before, I don't hate Ted Thompson, I'm just disappointed in the short term plan. VERY DISAPPOINTED.

But if you think for a minute that Ted Thompson is giving up draft choices (yes, PLURAL), for a 27 year old running back who wants the richest RB contract in NFL history, AND has "toted the pigskin" 900 times in the past two seasons, you've lost your ever loving mind.

It isn't happening.

RashanGary
06-27-2007, 07:05 PM
RG, if you go listen to that press conference with an open mind and come here and say that Thompson said he'd never give up a future pick then either you have the greatest imagination in the world or you can read minds.

Thompson said that he knew the value he had today and he did not know what woudl be there tomorrow. He said he would not give up something he knew he had now for something he could not predict tomorrow. He said he wouldn't trade Harrell "the player he had at 16" for a pick that he had no clue about tomorrow. Taht is what he said and it was fairly clear to any rational human being. I ask any of the reasonable posters here "Rastak, Patler, Harvey, ect. . . " to go and listen to that. I think anyone would come back saying what I just said in their own words.

You are right that it is unlikely becuase Larry Johnson wants an incredibly rich contract and we'd likely have to give up more than just a 1st round pick. It certainly is unlikely but that has nothing to do with how distorted your recollection of Thompsons message was. You really do hear what you want to hear and I'm not trying to be a prick because everything else you say I respect and will continue to but from this point forward I have lost respect for anything you say about Thompson. I'm sorry but for all the good you bring and all that you know, you are completely blind and ignorant when it comes to Ted Thompson.

BallHawk
06-27-2007, 07:12 PM
http://www.portlandmercury.com/podcasts/files/2006/07/Cat-Fight.jpg

BallHawk
06-27-2007, 07:13 PM
http://www.portlandmercury.com/podcasts/files/2006/07/Cat-Fight.jpg

retailguy
06-27-2007, 07:20 PM
So tell me Ballhawk, which one is me? Do I win or lose? :P

BallHawk
06-27-2007, 07:24 PM

You both end up getting killed by the dog.

:wink: :wink:

RashanGary
06-27-2007, 07:25 PM
It's not about winning and losing to me. I'm just frustrated because we go back and forth on this thompson crap, many times bordering on down right stubborness and then all rules get tossed aside by TT's greatest foe and pure falacy begins to be spewed. In no way do I consider what I said an isult but rather an observation of human weakness :) I did qualify my perceived knocks with my other plentiful postiive thoughts of said falacy spewer :)

retailguy
06-27-2007, 07:26 PM

You both end up getting killed by the dog.

I could kick that dog's ass blindfolded! Unless of course, you have "declawed" me... :twisted:

BallHawk
06-27-2007, 07:30 PM
Unless of course, you have "declawed" me... :twisted:

Not only did we declaw you, we neutered you, too. :twisted: :twisted:

retailguy
06-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Unless of course, you have "declawed" me... :twisted:

Not only did we declaw you, we neutered you, too. :twisted: :twisted:

:shock: Bastard!. That was below the belt, literally! :x :P

BallHawk
06-27-2007, 07:46 PM
Don't worry, you're still a good pet, even though whenever Mike Sherman comes over for dinner you piss on the carpet with excitement.

4and12to12and4
06-27-2007, 09:29 PM
Very funny thread, read through the whole thing. I love all you guys. Coming here is SO entertaining, this is the best site on the planet.

There is no way in hell we are getting Larry, PERIOD. Get over it. It doesn't matter. If our line continues to gel, Morency will be a beast. Our success this year will be all about the health and maturity of our offensive and defensive lines, and secondly, Harris and Woodson staying healthy and not showing their age. If those two components are in tact, we will be a dangerous team, skies the limit. Unfortunately, I'm not convinced that those two components are going to fall into place. Woodson is due to lose a step and probably get injured, and Harris is probably going to look slow also. The offensive line will probably be inconsistent, and the defensive line will not be overpowering anyone. I hope I'm wrong.

Pacopete4
06-27-2007, 10:43 PM
u guys are tools..

wist43
06-28-2007, 07:28 AM
u guys are tools..

You're from Superior, and you're calling other people tools???

Sadly, I am ashamed to admit that I'm from that God forsaken wasteland too... I go back to visit as little as possible. What an armpit.

wist43
06-28-2007, 08:07 AM

Gee, all that for a six word statement on my part?

What I will take umbrage with is you saying that I "belittle" others opinions... that, sir, is untrue.

It's true I hate the schemes the Packers run on both sides of the ball, and I'm more critical than most about the overall direction of the team - I'm definitely in the minority as this forum is awash in drunken Kool-Aid drinkers.

That said, I try to argue my position with a measure of respect and rarely confront anyone on a personal level. Arguments can get heated, but again, I try to make points respectfully - the art of debate.

As for you Patler, I find your posts to be intelligent and I value your opinion... I even agree with you more often than not; but, while my negativism is directed at the overall direction of the team, your negativism is directed at me b/c I don't agree with your view that the team is on the verge of multiple titles.

I enjoy debating you, and most of the other Kool-Aid drinkers, but the fact is that I am in the minority, and up until you decided to try to shame me and my inane opinions, no one has tried to attack me on a personal level.

You want to argue football opinions and positions??? Fine, let's argue and debate; but to dismiss my opinion as simply "a guess" on my part, w/o backing up a refrutation??? - that's a personal attack, albeit slight, which is something I've never done to you or, to the best of my recollection, anyone else in this forum.

Partial at least took the time to try to shoot down my contention that Turner might have been had for a 2nd rounder with some "facts" - that they were facts recalled from fuzzy memory, notwithstanding, at least he cited some particulars related to the argument - if we cared enough to carry on the argument we could take it to the dreaded level of having to do research.

You, on the other hand, simply dismissed my position as being unworthy of consideration simply b/c it came from me. If you don't like me or my tenor then fine, don't read my posts.

Tarlam!
06-28-2007, 08:46 AM
It's I'm definitely in the minority as this forum is awash in drunken Kool-Aid drinkers.

I know you mean me in this remark! Are you belittling drunken Kool Aid drinkers! Do I need to take umbrella on this?

Relax you two; you are Top 5 on this forum in m book, both of you!

wist43
06-28-2007, 08:49 AM
It's I'm definitely in the minority as this forum is awash in drunken Kool-Aid drinkers.

I know you mean me in this remark! Are you belittling drunken Kool Aid drinkers! Do I need to take umbrella on this?

You tipping back the grog over there Tar??? What the hell time is it over there???

Like the song says, "it's five o'clock somewhere"... lol. :)

BallHawk
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Is this like one of those WWE matches where there are two fights going on in one ring?

Tarlam!
06-28-2007, 09:01 AM
Just turned 4 pm Wisty, but, I am working from home - that is ALWAYS dangerous!

Zool
06-28-2007, 09:16 AM

Huh?

wist43
06-28-2007, 09:51 AM

Huh?

What if he had said, "bumbershoot"???

Zool
06-28-2007, 09:56 AM

Huh?

What if he had said, "bumbershoot"???
Are we gonna be getting hit with umbrellas? Is Tarlam the old lady from Benny Hill?

The Shadow
06-28-2007, 10:07 AM
Was 'umbrage' the desired word choice?

wist43
06-28-2007, 10:14 AM
Was 'umbrage' the desired word choice?

Yes... Tar was being obliquely comedic.

And a bumbershoot is, in fact, an umbrella.

Tarlam!
06-28-2007, 10:39 AM
Clearly I will need to use emoticons in future to puncuate my pathetic attempts to make you'll laugh.

I should have added: :rs: to make it perfectly obvious I was taking the piss out of both Patler and Wisty..... My Bad!

Zool
06-28-2007, 11:09 AM
I actually thought you were gonna break out an umbrella and start the beatings.

The Shadow
06-28-2007, 11:21 AM
For we bastiches, you must be quite literal.

run pMc
06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
What 4and12to12and4said.

You guys rule.

Merlin
06-28-2007, 11:31 AM
LJ would be a nice pickup just because of his size. It wouldn't matter if he could make the cut, he could just run them over! I don't see TT reaching here. Cory Dillon I could see because he has some gas in the tank, is solid out of the back field and has quick feet (perfect for the ZBS). He is the type of back that could be on the field the whole game for another season or two. Spelling him with Morency and Jackson would give the staff some insight into what they are up against. In limited action Morency looked very good and we don't know about Jackson. Having a featured back on the team will give us some veteran depth and security.

As far as Koonze and his big mouth, his comments are pretty generic. There will be cap cuts yet before camp and we will big up some more mediocre players to compete for a spot. Maybe if we are lucky Tank Johnson will avoid further suspension and then we could be a second half team "blowing" teams away....teehee!

Partial
06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
Its amazing how many people must not have watched too many new england games last year. Dillion is washed up.

Patler
06-28-2007, 08:31 PM
u guys are tools..

You're from Superior, and you're calling other people tools???

Sadly, I am ashamed to admit that I'm from that God forsaken wasteland too... I go back to visit as little as possible. What an armpit.

Geez, Wist, perhaps we know each other! Lived not far from Superior myself for many years (although I suspect I am a fair bit older than you.)

Patler
06-28-2007, 08:51 PM
while my negativism is directed at the overall direction of the team, your negativism is directed at me b/c I don't agree with your view that the team is on the verge of multiple titles.

I enjoy debating you, and most of the other Kool-Aid drinkers, but the fact is that I am in the minority, and up until you decided to try to shame me and my inane opinions, no one has tried to attack me on a personal level.

You want to argue football opinions and positions??? Fine, let's argue and debate; but to dismiss my opinion as simply "a guess" on my part, w/o backing up a refrutation??? - that's a personal attack, albeit slight, which is something I've never done to you or, to the best of my recollection, anyone else in this forum.

Partial at least took the time to try to shoot down my contention that Turner might have been had for a 2nd rounder with some "facts" - that they were facts recalled from fuzzy memory, notwithstanding, at least he cited some particulars related to the argument - if we cared enough to carry on the argument we could take it to the dreaded level of having to do research.

You, on the other hand, simply dismissed my position as being unworthy of consideration simply b/c it came from me. If you don't like me or my tenor then fine, don't read my posts.

See now this just show how wrong you are! Where do you ever get the opinion that I see multiple titles on the horizon? I don't think they are close. In fact, I argued that while winning multiple division titles under Sherman it was no more than a middle of the road team because the last few year they rarely beat teams with winning records. The team has regressed since then, but I do view it as a tactical retreat.

My view is that we really have no clue what these rookies will do until they actually get the chance to play. You appear to have dismissed several without even a "live" practice under their belts.

I have dismissed your position as unworthy of consideration? Is that why I have questioned you on it? Because it is unworthy? If I felt it unworthy of consideration, I wouldn't comment on it. I would ignore it. I'm beginning to believe you don't understand what a real debate is. Its not what we see in the political arena, where each merely states their opinion. A real debate is being challenged on your opinion and being forced to defend it. THAT is what I have tried to get from you. Your reasoning behind the grandeous statements you sometimes make, like Jones having no more potential than a couple free agents, things TT "definitely" (your word) could have done, etc. It is precisely those types of unsupportable statements that any good debater will attack.

You made the statement, it was up to you to defend it. When and if you could, it would then be upon me or someone else to counter. But that did not occur, because you did not (perhaps could not) support it.

wist43
06-29-2007, 07:23 AM

What am I defending then???

Turner was on the market - nobody denies that. So saying "they were definitely looking to move him" is supportable.

Nobody was going to give up a #1 - again, supportable (b/c nobody did).
SD wasn't going to accept a third - again, supportable.

A 2nd rounder would have been a reasonable offer - my opinion. And, I would have been willing to sweeten that offer.

What am I defending??? I think the positions I've taken in my posts in this thread are perfectly rational and supportable.

Tony Oday
06-29-2007, 08:35 AM
What the Pack SHOULD have done was trade down for NE two picks for our 1st rounder. Trade one of them for Turner and use the other one on Harrell ;)

retailguy
06-29-2007, 08:43 AM
What the Pack SHOULD have done was trade down for NE two picks for our 1st rounder. Trade one of them for Turner and use the other one on Harrell ;)

Great idea, but wouldn't have worked. Denver has stated that they would have taken Harrell before we'd have got to either NE pick, and, there is no evidence that NE would have moved up.

Merlin
06-29-2007, 09:55 AM
Its amazing how many people must not have watched too many new england games last year. Dillion is washed up.

He isn't any more washed up then a running back who has to leave the field because of his asthma. I am not saying the guy will rush for 2,000 yards but he is a viable starter who can split time with Morency and Jackson until either of them are ready to be the full time starter. Right now, we do not have a running back in camp that has proven they can take every snap. Dillon can take every snap and although he isn't what he used to be he is far from washed up. I guess Favre is washed up to since he only threw 18 TD's last year.

It's amazing how many people must not have watched too many packer games last year...

Partial
06-29-2007, 11:39 AM

He isn't any more washed up then a running back who has to leave the field because of his asthma. I am not saying the guy will rush for 2,000 yards but he is a viable starter who can split time with Morency and Jackson until either of them are ready to be the full time starter. Right now, we do not have a running back in camp that has proven they can take every snap. Dillon can take every snap and although he isn't what he used to be he is far from washed up. I guess Favre is washed up to since he only threw 18 TD's last year.

It's amazing how many people must not have watched too many packer games last year...

Personally I think Favre and Green are both washed up.

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 01:19 PM

Personally I think Favre and Green are both washed up.

Partial.

Personally I believe that our glorios GM Ted Thompson, has done all within his incompetence or inability to ignore our needs offensively. To assist you Partial, in being correct regarding Favre's chances of success as a starting QB is one thing.

To condemn Brett Favre as being washed up. . . is the height of ignorance. One must of course take into account your obvious immaturity and therefore inability to exercise tact.

It's rather interesting to me as a member of this forum, that so many of you lack the ability to project the reason for truths,rather spread the blame of our failure on the ignored talents of the our real heroes.

Ted Thompson will never be one of mine.

Zool
06-29-2007, 01:24 PM

Personally I think Favre and Green are both washed up.Hitting the hornet nest with a stick again i see?

Partial
06-29-2007, 01:27 PM

Personally I think Favre and Green are both washed up.Hitting the hornet nest with a stick again i see?

:lol:

woodbuck27
06-29-2007, 01:38 PM

:lol:

This may assist you Partial in gaining a proper or more accurate assessment of reality today in Packer land:

Packer fan's submission.

Overall, I think we are a much better team at most positions and either better or even at every position on defense. I think the area we are most improved is in the back ups and special teams.

What is your assesment of the look of the roster prior to the 2004 season and the look of the roster prior to the 2007 season? I think we have better team chemistry, better potential and youth, better depth but not as much experience. Some of that goes hand in hand but I feel we are a better team than we were prior to the 2004 season.

PETE DOUGHERTY:

I disagree with your assessment of the offenses. That's the year Walker broke out, and the Packers don't have a playmaker of his caliber, and Green was still a really good back, we can't say that about Morency and Jackson.

Plus, Favre is three years older. And the offensive line was excellent that year, one of the best in the league.

The line now could be a year away. So while I'd agree the defense is better, I'd say the offense isn't close to as good on paper. But that's only on paper.

Maybe Jackson ends up being good, or Jennings has a huge year. Those are maybes or projectsions.

Back in '04, Green wasn't a projection, and Walker had started showing real signs of breaking out the second half of '03, and the line was already good in '03. So I'd say things looked better going into '04.

RashanGary
06-29-2007, 02:11 PM
Things looked better on offense going into 04. This year things look better on defense IMO. I think Jennings will have that breakout year and the RB committee will do just fine.

I think that a Favre/Driver/Jennings led offense with a completely intact, maturing line will be enough not to lose games for us. The defense is good enough to win them.

If Hawk is as good as Walker and Kampman is as good as green in 04, we have a chance to be as good as that team. I acctually think we can be a 10-6 team with a few bounces our way. 9-7 is my prediction, but 10-6 would not suprise me at all.

BallHawk
06-29-2007, 03:26 PM

More like sticking a firecracker in it....