PDA

View Full Version : SI.com Ranking the top 25 receivers

packers11
06-26-2007, 01:39 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/bucky_brooks/06/25/top.receivers/index.html

Ranking the top 25 receivers

7. Donald Driver, Green Bay Packers: Brett Favre's No. 1 target is one of the most underrated receivers in the league. An outstanding playmaker, Driver has posted over 1,200 receiving yards in three consecutive seasons. After earning his first Pro Bowl nomination, he is finally beginning to get the recognition he deserves. With limited weapons in the backfield, Driver may shatter his career highs in receptions and yards in 2007.

Bretsky
06-26-2007, 02:10 AM
Tory Holt #12; are you kidding ??? That is way off base

Scott Campbell
06-26-2007, 02:30 AM
Nice to see the irreplaceable Javon Walker one notch below Driver. Agreed on Tory Holt - way too low. They also caught me by surprise having Boldin rated ahead of Fitzgerald. Glad to see ex-Badger Lee Evans at 13.

The Leaper
06-26-2007, 11:12 AM
I am sort of in their camp on Holt, although I wouldn't take him out of the top ten. His production is magnified on turf, as it plays to his strength as a WR...as seen in his 2007 stats:

In 9 games on turf: 54-750-7
In 7 games on grass: 39-438-3

In 6 outdoor games last year, he also put up a whopping 10.3 average per catch. His game (precision) is entirely based on turf and a favorable weather environment. He couldn't beat out Driver in Green Bay...but Driver would be very comparable to Holt in STL. He'd probably be around #9 on my list. Two years ago, Holt was easily a top 5 receiver...not anymore.

Bretsky
06-26-2007, 05:46 PM
I am sort of in their camp on Holt, although I wouldn't take him out of the top ten. His production is magnified on turf, as it plays to his strength as a WR...as seen in his 2007 stats:

In 9 games on turf: 54-750-7
In 7 games on grass: 39-438-3

In 6 outdoor games last year, he also put up a whopping 10.3 average per catch. His game (precision) is entirely based on turf and a favorable weather environment. He couldn't beat out Driver in Green Bay...but Driver would be very comparable to Holt in STL. He'd probably be around #9 on my list. Two years ago, Holt was easily a top 5 receiver...not anymore.

Maybe as a Ram fan I'm still living in the past, but I'd still view him in the top 5-7 area.

KYPack
06-27-2007, 07:18 AM
A quick criticism would be that Owens is too high and Holt too low. I know Torrey is getting on in age, but he is such a gamer his numbers can slide a little bit and he can still be a top guy in the league. He is still top 10 in scaring DB's.

I've always thought Owens gets a hall pass from the media. The guy simply drops too many balls in key situations.

DD is about right. This article trumps the "overrated" article put out by ESPN. The ESPN author had a 300% error in Driver's drops. Don made it into the elite class last year.

The Leaper
06-27-2007, 07:29 AM
Moss and Wayne are too high.

Wayne merely is a in a great position to take advantage of Manning. Look at what Bill Schroeder did as the #2 WR in Green Bay during Favre's prime. It doesn't equal what Wayne has done...but it is close. Was Bill Schroeder ever anywhere near being one of the top 25 receivers in the NFL? Of course not. Put Wayne somewhere where he isn't surrounded by talent and has to carry the offense on his own and I doubt he gets 1000 yards receiving. Wayne certainly may be a top 15 FANTASY receiver...he's not a top 15 TALENT receiver.

Moss hasn't done anything in quite awhile. He is also a one trick pony. Granted, that one trick can have a major impact on the game...but it isn't enough to make him a top 10 receiver unless he proves he is willing to go out on the field and work at earning it. He hasn't done that recently.

The Leaper
06-27-2007, 07:36 AM
I've always thought Owens gets a hall pass from the media. The guy simply drops too many balls in key situations.

True, but he catches a hell of a lot of balls when it counts too. The guy has caught 13 or more TD passes in a season SIX times. I'll take a few drops if the guy consistently scores almost a TD a game. POINTS and BIG PLAYS typically win games, not minimizing dropped passes. Driver didn't drop many last year...he didn't get in the end zone much either. We lost several games because of that. I'd rather have a guy who makes a few drops but scores a lot in today's NFL.

There is no doubt in my mind that Owens is one of the top 6 receivers in the NFL. None. Really don't want him on my team...but he scares the hell out of you when your team is up against him. He has enough speed to be a threat downfield, and also has the size to be a dominant force as a possession/red zone receiver.

I can't see how anyone can think Owens is overrated in terms of talent. He's a nutjob between the ears, but between the lines he is a rare blend of talent at WR who keeps many DCs up late at night.