PDA

View Full Version : Security addition at Lambeau

GrnBay007
06-28-2007, 09:00 AM
Barriers to encircle Lambeau Field for added game-day security
Associated Press

GREEN BAY, Wis. -- The Green Bay Packers said a series of 2½-foot-high concrete barriers will be built to encircle Lambeau Field to improve security on game days.

Team chairman Bob Harlan said the $1 million project stems from a requirement by the NFL.

"We spend a lot of time at league meetings talking about what we can do to provide more protection for our fans to make it as safe as possible to come to the stadium on Sundays," he said.

The barrier will be a string of 33 planters, each 28 feet long and 6 feet wide. There are to be 12 monuments, each 12 feet tall, near the planters, featuring pieces of team history, with concrete benches placed nearby.

The money for the project will come from the Green Bay-Brown County Professional Football Stadium District's capital improvement fund. More than $15.5 million had been put aside for these types of improvements, said Patrick Webb, executive director of the stadium district.

The barriers will be up in time for the team's first preseason home game.

Tarlam!
06-28-2007, 09:03 AM
Well, this is all my fault. The front office guys obviously read I was coming to the PR shindig and needed to act hastily...

MJZiggy
06-28-2007, 09:05 AM
Nah, they knew you were bringing me along to keep you under control. :shock: Ok, maybe that's why they did it. :oops:

GrnBay007
06-28-2007, 09:09 AM
From the description it sounds like it will be attractive and not just some gawdy looking security feature. The monuments with pieces of team history....can't go wrong with that at Lambeau!

GrnBay007
06-28-2007, 09:10 AM
Well, this is all my fault. The front office guys obviously read I was coming to the PR shindig and needed to act hastily...

When we hear the bars start adding security features then we KNOW they heard you are coming. :P :wink:

Jimx29
06-28-2007, 12:17 PM
man, first the Packalope, now this?? (http://www.comedycentral.com/sitewide/media_player/play.jhtml?itemId=23383)

GBRulz
06-28-2007, 02:15 PM
I really don't understand the point of this at all.

Because it's a requirement of the NFL, does this mean all stadiums have to have a 2-1/2' concrete wall around it?

oregonpackfan
06-28-2007, 02:33 PM
Tarlam, MJZiggy, Paris Hilton...

What is this world coming to? :)

Scott Campbell
06-28-2007, 03:57 PM

Because it's a requirement of the NFL, does this mean all stadiums have to have a 2-1/2' concrete wall around it?

I feel safer already.

packinpatland
06-28-2007, 04:01 PM

Until they add the barbed wire, it'll be ok. :wink:

the_idle_threat
06-30-2007, 12:04 AM
I'm gonna build a 2 1/2 foot thick wall around my house. Maybe I'll put in a moat while I'm at it. With crocodiles.

GrnBay007
06-30-2007, 01:27 AM
I'm gonna build a 2 1/2 foot thick wall around my house. Maybe I'll put in a moat while I'm at it. With crocodiles.

...and you will be safe foreva!

Don't forget the historical monuments for that touch of class. :wink:

the_idle_threat
06-30-2007, 01:50 AM
:lol:

I think statues and historical monuments might bother the crocodiles. Gotta keep the crocodiles happy, lest they become restless.

Patler
06-30-2007, 06:39 AM

I think all stadiums have to have structures to prevent cars from getting within a given distance of stadium entrances, or stadium walls or something. Some just put out those 3 foot concrete barriers that road construction uses. Most of the time you don't even notice it.

Sounds like the Packers are turning a ring around the stadium into a pedestrian plaza of sorts. It actually sounds kind of nice.

MadtownPacker
06-30-2007, 11:53 AM
Sounds like the Packers are turning a ring around the stadium into a pedestrian plaza of sorts. It actually sounds kind of nice.Thats what I was thinking too pero. I'm guessing that someone posting in this thread who is unhappy with it might have wanted to streak on ice. Now they wont get the chance.

MJZiggy
06-30-2007, 12:52 PM
Sounds like the Packers are turning a ring around the stadium into a pedestrian plaza of sorts. It actually sounds kind of nice.Thats what I was thinking too pero. I'm guessing that someone posting in this thread who is unhappy with it might have wanted to streak on ice. Now they wont get the chance.

There is no streaking on ice. Shrinkage is WAAAYYYYY too much of a deterrent for that. (Frostbite is another consideration)

oregonpackfan
06-30-2007, 01:49 PM

There is no streaking on ice. Shrinkage is WAAAYYYYY too much of a deterrent for that. (Frostbite is another consideration)

Shrinkage? Geez, MJZiggy! When are you women going to forget that incident involving George Costanza from the Jerry Seinfeld episode! :lol:

You sure know how to hurt a guy, or the entire male gender for that matter! :)

GBRulz
07-04-2007, 11:15 PM
a video clip of where the barrier will go. Might be kinda cool when it's done.

http://www.wfrv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=26708@wfrv.dayport.com

oregonpackfan
07-05-2007, 12:09 AM
a video clip of where the barrier will go. Might be kinda cool when it's done.

http://www.wfrv.com/mediacenter/local.aspx?videoId=26708@wfrv.dayport.com

Thanks for the video clip, GBRulz.

It appears the barriers will be rather attractive rather than the stale "Jersey" type of barriers they use for road construction.

mraynrand
07-05-2007, 08:26 AM
From the description it sounds like it will be attractive and not just some gawdy looking security feature. The monuments with pieces of team history....can't go wrong with that at Lambeau!

More graven images?