PDA

View Full Version : Souad Massi

Joemailman
06-28-2007, 07:17 PM
The Joan Baez of Algeria

Souad She's been dubbed the "Joan Baez of Algeria" or "the Algerian Tracy Chapman" for her blend of folk music and politics. Tonight, 34-year-old Souad Massi brought her voice and band to Ramallah for a sold out show in front of some 800 fans at the city's cultural center.

Petite, modest and engaging, Massi has a rich, haunting voice and poetic lyrics in Arabic and French.
http://washingtonbureau.typepad.com/photos/uncategorized/2007/06/27/souad.jpg

For obvious reasons, well-known musicians rarely venture to this part of the world. Last year, Depeche Mode cancelled its plans for a concert in Israel because of the summer war with Hezbollah in Lebanon.

Under pressure from anti-occupation activists, Pink Floyd's Roger Waters moved his concert last year from Tel Aviv to a mixed Israeli community. Before taking the stage, Waters took time to spray paint "no thought control" on part of the Israeli concrete wall separating Palestinians from Israelis.

Massi herself drew fire in the Arab word because of false rumors that she was planning to play in Israel.

You can get a good sample of Massi's music here.http://youtube.com/watch?v=q5bGwdsFoKA
Ramzi

Massi's visit was made possible by Al Kamandjati Association ("The violinist" in English), a young group headed by Ramzi Aburedwan, whose work is the subject of a new documentary "It's not a gun."

Al Kamandjati runs a music center in Ramallah and brings classical music to children and young adults in Palestinian refugee camps.

The group's motto: He who works for the advancement of culture is also working against war.

Massi's concert was a brief respite from the simmering conflict. These days, PA President Abbas has deployed large numbers of armed soldiers around Ramallah to try and keep calm following the Hamas takeover in Gaza.

Heading out of Ramallah after midnight, you had to drive through dozens of young Palestinian boys and men with large rocks and chunks of concrete in their hands. A hundred yards down the road, near the main checkpoint out of Ramallah, a line of Israeli military vehicles idled, waiting for the expected clash...

An interesting story about someone who, despite the language barrier, strikes me as a great singer.

MJZiggy
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
She does have a very pretty voice.

oregonpackfan
06-28-2007, 07:23 PM
Though I did not understand the lyrics, I'll take her music over the Spice Girls any day!

GBRulz
06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
Though I did not understand the lyrics, I'll take her music over the Spice Girls any day!

Awww, does this mean you won't be in attendance for the Spice Girls Reunion tour?? :wink: