PDA

View Full Version : What big screen TV do you think is best?

MadtownPacker
06-28-2007, 11:22 PM
There is question for all you rich gringos who own big screen TVs that I can only hope of stealing.

What type of big screen television do you have or would you pick - LCD, Plasma, DLP, LCD projection? WHat brand? What has the best picture quality? Looks good on dark movie scenes or in a well lit room?

Drop some links or models # and your thoughts.

BTW - Wist, your opinions on which ones suck will be nice too!

Partial
06-28-2007, 11:23 PM
DLP.

Mitsu makes a great tv.

So does Panasonic but they are very overpriced.

DLP is most bang for your buck but isn't wall mountable. Plasma is best picture but they burn out.

MadtownPacker
06-28-2007, 11:25 PM
I don't plan on wall mounting it so size isn't a factor.

How long Plasmas last? I heard you can recharge them?

Partial
06-29-2007, 12:21 AM

Not to my knowledge on the recharging. Their longevity has also improved a lot. Really all the TVs have improved enough that you don't need to worry about the downfalls.

With DLP, some people used to see Rainbows. This hasn't been a problem since the 2nd generation. HD2+ is a very, very good chip and I think they've improved since then even. I had a Mitsubishi 62525 and I loved it. It had a glorious picture and Mitsu TVs are fully upgradable which is nice.

LCD is nice but was originally plagued with poor levels of black, and some slight ghosting on fast moving images. I find these both to be non-issues now.

Plasma looks awesome, is by far the brightest(burns your eyes in a dark room bright). Their picture degrades over time just like everything else. Difference is you can purchase a new 200 dollar bulb to make the LCD and DLP look good as new. I don't believe that to be the case with a Plasma.

If you have a dark enough room, Front Projection gives you a lot of options. It is expensive to get a nice, bright set-up(projectors need to be very bright), but you can get by far the biggest, nicest picture that way.

GrnBay007
06-29-2007, 08:04 AM
I'll pass commenting on TV's. :wink:

Good luck with that though.

Zool
06-29-2007, 08:05 AM
For the price, the Visio and Westinghouse LCD's are great. The black levels are greatly improved over the last 2 years.

I'm a big fan of the wall mounted TV but I'm very unimpressed with the glare on plasma lenses.

retailguy
06-29-2007, 09:01 AM
I bought my girls a 32" Vizio LCD for their playstation. It's a very nice TV for not a lot of money, about $550.

BallHawk
06-29-2007, 09:19 AM
I have a 27" LCD Toshiba and I'm very impressed with the quality. LCD, for the price and the quality, is far better then plasma. As Partial mentioned, you cannot replace the bulb in a plasma if it burns-out. If you're a gamer, LCD is a much better choice. If you're going to be playing video games for extended periods of time, then LCD is the way to go.

As some have mentioned, Vizio is great bang for your buck. We actually may get a big one for our family room.

LL2
06-29-2007, 09:42 AM
I'll disagree with Partial on the DLP's and say the Samsung DLP's are best (I have a 56" :) ). To really decide on what type is best, DLP, LCD, or Plasma, you have to start with where are you going to put it. Are you going to put it in your living room that has a lot of windows? If yes, stay away from a Plasma as the reflecting glare with annoy you. If price is a concern then for the money go with a DLP, but if you have money to burn then go with an LCD like the Sony Bravia 1080p. I will agree for the price the Vizio and Westy are great for the price, but I would add the Olevia for a great HD for the price too. It's a tough decision to make. Took me two months to decide on the Samsung DLP 1080p. Whatever you do do not get less than a 1080i. You'll regret it down the road.

Merlin
06-29-2007, 10:23 AM
I currently own a 50" Toshiba projection. I have had it for 8 years and for it's time, it is/was a great TV. I have been researching plasmas because they have by far the best picture quality in the larger sizes. LCD is the best for smaller screens IMO. I own a 20" Polaroid LCD and I love it. DLP I don't think for larger TV's is better then plasma.

Most plasmas used to have Panasonic panels in them but they couldn't keep up with the demand so now most newer plasmas will have the LG panel in them. LG has the best overall warranty on the TV itself at two years and their panels (in their TV's) are rated for something like 60,000 hours +.

I know I am currently looking at the LG 50PC5D, 50PX2DC, 50PM1M & MU-60PZ95V Models. The one I was looking for before was discontinued so now I have to do all the research again! LG seems to come very highly rated not only from reviews online but from people I know. The other logic behind it is that if most plasmas are using LG panels, then something positive has to be said for their manufacturing and quality of their panels.

GoPackGo
06-29-2007, 10:26 AM
I have a 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD projection.
The picture is amazing. The Price tag is like $1100 now I think. I paid $1500 two years ago.

Merlin
06-29-2007, 10:34 AM
I think that's the model my parents got. Although they keep bugging me because it doesn't have a card in it.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 10:57 AM

Not to my knowledge on the recharging. Their longevity has also improved a lot. Really all the TVs have improved enough that you don't need to worry about the downfalls.

With DLP, some people used to see Rainbows. This hasn't been a problem since the 2nd generation. HD2+ is a very, very good chip and I think they've improved since then even. I had a Mitsubishi 62525 and I loved it. It had a glorious picture and Mitsu TVs are fully upgradable which is nice.

LCD is nice but was originally plagued with poor levels of black, and some slight ghosting on fast moving images. I find these both to be non-issues now.

Plasma looks awesome, is by far the brightest(burns your eyes in a dark room bright). Their picture degrades over time just like everything else. Difference is you can purchase a new 200 dollar bulb to make the LCD and DLP look good as new. I don't believe that to be the case with a Plasma.

If you have a dark enough room, Front Projection gives you a lot of options. It is expensive to get a nice, bright set-up(projectors need to be very bright), but you can get by far the biggest, nicest picture that way.

1) You can not replace LCD bulbs - they have none.
2) LCD black levels are still inferior to Plasma. IMO, LCD picture quality is still inferior to Plasma and the gap is beginning to widen. But there are other variables to consider. It's not a simple question.
3) LCD > Plasma in a brightly lit rooms with lots of windows where glare is a problem.
4) LCD works very well if your display is primarily used as computer or for HTPC use. I have a 37" that is used 75% computer, 25% for tv and movie viewing, and I'm very happy with it.
5) Agree with your liking of projectors, but they aren't nearly as expensive anymore. It requires a basement like level of darkness though.
6) You should get 7-10 years of normal viewing out of todays Plasma's. 10-15 years out of LCD. You'll likely replace DLP bulbs every couple of years.

MadtownPacker
06-29-2007, 11:12 AM
I have a 42" Sony Grand Wega LCD projection.
The picture is amazing. The Price tag is like $1100 now I think. I paid $1500 two years ago.This is actually the brand/model I am eyeballing. ALways been a big Sony fan from the Trinitron days.

LINK (http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Sony-55-Grand-WEGA-LCD-Projection-HDTV-KDF-55E2000/sem/rpsm/oid/150946/catOid/-12870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do)

I will likely not get a 1080P model because I dont have anything that will really need it. Figure in 2 years when all the stations go HD I will buy one at a much cheaper price.

MJZiggy
06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/hdtv/index.html

MadtownPacker
06-29-2007, 11:16 AM
I'll disagree with Partial on the DLP's and say the Samsung DLP's are best (I have a 56" :) ). To really decide on what type is best, DLP, LCD, or Plasma, you have to start with where are you going to put it. Are you going to put it in your living room that has a lot of windows? If yes, stay away from a Plasma as the reflecting glare with annoy you. If price is a concern then for the money go with a DLP, but if you have money to burn then go with an LCD like the Sony Bravia 1080p. I will agree for the price the Vizio and Westy are great for the price, but I would add the Olevia for a great HD for the price too. It's a tough decision to make. Took me two months to decide on the Samsung DLP 1080p. Whatever you do do not get less than a 1080i. You'll regret it down the road.Samsung is another brand I am interested in, specifically the DLP models. It gonna be in the room with windows and a sliding door so light would be a factor. As for price I want to stay around 2K.

BallHawk
06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
Just a question for any HD subscribers out there. I have an HD TV, but our cable subscription isn't set up for HD.

How much better do sports look in HD then on regular? I've seen them in the stores, but I'm interested to see what you guys think.

MJZiggy
06-29-2007, 11:17 AM
I've watched football, baseball and soccer on HD and they are seriously nice to watch in HD.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 11:20 AM
If price is a concern then for the money go with a DLP, but if you have money to burn then go with an LCD like the Sony Bravia 1080p. I will agree for the price the Vizio and Westy are great for the price, but I would add the Olevia for a great HD for the price too.

1) Love the Sony, but until they get their arms around the clouding issue I won't gamble with that kind of money.
2) I own the 1080P 37" Westy, and it's a terrific pc monitor but a pretty average tv or movie screen. That's ok by me, as it's a second tv and is not used for critical viewing. The price was great too <$1000.
3) I'm not big on Vizio products yet, but the company has potential.
4) I wish Olevia made 1080P LCD's. Until they do I won't consider one. I have pc's hooked up to all my tv's, and need the extra resolution. And when the BlueRay HDDVD format wars and price drops get worked out I want my displays to be able to take advantage of the higher resolution.

Partial
06-29-2007, 11:28 AM

1) You can not replace LCD bulbs - they have none.
2) LCD black levels are still inferior to Plasma. IMO, LCD picture quality is still inferior to Plasma and the gap is beginning to widen. But there are other variables to consider. It's not a simple question.
3) LCD > Plasma in a brightly lit rooms with lots of windows where glare is a problem.
4) LCD works very well if your display is primarily used as computer or for HTPC use. I have a 37" that is used 75% computer, 25% for tv and movie viewing, and I'm very happy with it.
5) Agree with your liking of projectors, but they aren't nearly as expensive anymore. It requires a basement like level of darkness though.
6) You should get 7-10 years of normal viewing out of todays Plasma's. 10-15 years out of LCD. You'll likely replace DLP bulbs every couple of years.

1. All projection displays are backlit. LCD and DLP use replaceable lamps, Plasma sends a chemical to stimulate electrons or something to that general effect.
2. Agreed
3. Not necessarily. It depends on what material the screen is made out of. The have glossy and matte displays. The matte won't reflect too much.
4. Agreed
5. Even then they aren't too bright. To get a nice 1080p projector with enough brightness to be used in darkly painted room(maroon walls, wood floors, no windows) is about 4gs for the new panie.
6. DLP bulbs are like 200 though, and the picture quality for sports is top notch.

Freak Out
06-29-2007, 12:09 PM
You can debate this kind of crap all day long but in many ways it all comes down to what the pocket book can handle....go to Costco, watch both HD and SD on all the units in the price you have targeted. The Costco I shop has a SAT subscription as well as OTA and DVD/Blu-ray all hooked up to this hub and you can have a look at all the variations in the quality of picture depending on the source. I know all the stores are not set up the same but they will always have some very nice sets on hand. I have a 46 inch Samsung LCD I bought there and am very happy with it. When I bought this set it was right next to a 50 inch plasma and although it was not as vibrant it was about $1200 less.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:13 PM
I will likely not get a 1080P model because I dont have anything that will really need it. Figure in 2 years when all the stations go HD I will buy one at a much cheaper price.

The Sammy's and Mistsubishi's pretty much all come in 1080P. If you're going to buy a DLP, I'd get a 1080P.

Stations may not broadcast in 1080P for 10 years or more - if ever. A new standard could emerge in that amount of time for all we know. Stations all broadcast in either 1080i or 720P today. And the only 2 kinds of source material that can take advantage of that 1080P resolution is the new Blu Ray or HDDVD players, or if you use your display as a pc screen. Asking your tv to do double duty as a pc screen makes 1080P an absolute requirement IMO - A slam dunk choice for LCD. Blu Ray or HDDVD will still look better on a 1080i/720p sets than standard def dvd's. They don't require 1080P.

Theoretically, Blu Ray can't reach it's total resolution potential unless you display on a 1080P screen. However, there's a catch. It depends on how far you sit from your set. Beyond a certain distance, the human eye can not see the difference in additional resolution between 1080P and 720P/1080i. It depends on the size of the set and the normal viewing distance in your room. In other words, depending on the size of your screen and normal viewing distance, you may see no difference between 720P/1080i and 1080P.

The following are generalities:

In Plasma, 1080P costs a lot more than 720P.
In LCD, 1080P costs a little more than 720P.
In DLP, 1080P often costs about the same as 720P.

So if I'm buying DLP, I'd future proof the purchase with 1080P just because it shouldn't cost any more. I'd probably do the same with LCD if the $$$ difference isn't too much. The cost difference in Plasma makes 1080P much tougher to justify.

Another consideration - size matters. Bigger is better, at least until one of your wives gets upset with how your monster tv is upsetting the feng shui of the room.

Also a consideration - LCD's, DLP's and Plasma all have different sweet spots in their price points when it comes to size. In general once again:

LCD's 37-42. Maybe 50 with this latest round of product introductions.
Plasma 42 - 50 Maybe 58 or 60 with this latest round of introductions.
DLP's 55-73.
Projectors for anything over 73.

Here are some questions that can change the answer as to what is the "best" tv set for your application.

What is the size of the room?
What is the normal viewing distance?
What is the lighting? Can you easily dim or shade obnoxious light sources.
What do you typically watch? (% of TV, % of Movies)
What is your typicall source material (% of SDTV, % of HDTV, % of DVD's and HDDVD's)
Is this your critical viewing tv? Or is it just the 2nd or 3rd tv?
What are the angles that you view from? LCD and Plasma typically have a greater field of view.

If all this seems pretty complex, that's because it is. I built a home theater and also built 3 HTPC's in our house, and I've invested a ridiculous amount of time in trying to understand all this stuff. I'm not even close to to being an expert. I'm not even sure what I'll buy next.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:21 PM
1. All projection displays are backlit. LCD and DLP use replaceable lamps, Plasma sends a chemical to stimulate electrons or something to that general effect.

Ok, now I see the source of our discrepancy. When you say LCD TV these days, people almost universally assume flat panels - not projection. You can't replace bulbs in LCD panels.

Partial
06-29-2007, 01:25 PM
Stay away from RCA.

If you can get a 62" DLP for the cost of a 52" LCD or 42" Plasma, I would go for the DLP every time. The extra size makes a HUGE difference. The numbers don't seem like a huge difference but the square inch difference is massive.

Likewise, I would go with a 62" Mitsu over a 52" Sony since the price will be about the same.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:26 PM
http://blogs.consumerreports.org/electronics/hdtv/index.html

I subscribe to CR and obviously value their opinions on some stuff. I don't even bother reading their tv or tech stuff anymore. They jus can't keep up with the pace of change.

For that matter, check out their last issue rating digital cameras. I think the top rated model was the Canon S2 IS. It's been discontinued for over a year I think. They didn't even mention the S3.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:27 PM
Stay away from RCA.

If you can get a 62" DLP for the cost of a 52" LCD or 42" Plasma, I would go for the DLP every time. The extra size makes a HUGE difference. The numbers don't seem like a huge difference but the square inch difference is massive.

Likewise, I would go with a 62" Mitsu over a 52" Sony since the price will be about the same.

I have a 73" rear projection Mits. CRT - old school. Still smokes anything out there. Stopped making them because they fell out of favor because they're huge - heavy and bulky. I agree totally with your screen size comments. I'm less thrilled with their supposed "upgradeabilty". They never released any new firmware after launch. There is little value in future upgradeability if they never actually provide an upgrade.

MJZiggy
06-29-2007, 01:30 PM
Sorry, I just don't need a TV that's bigger than I am. Must be a guy thing...

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:32 PM
Sorry, I just don't need a TV that's bigger than I am. Must be a guy thing...

You probably don't for most things - even sports. But it's hard to get a theater like experience with movies if you don't go big. My 73 is in a dedicated home theater room. It'd be obnixious in the family room or living room, and my wives would object.

Partial
06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
Stay away from RCA.

I have a 73" rear projection Mits. CRT - old school. Still smokes anything out there. Stopped making them because they fell out of favor because they're huge - heavy and bulky. I agree totally with your screen size comments. I'm less thrilled with their supposed "upgradeabilty". They never released any new firmware after launch. There is little value in future upgradeability if they never actually provide an upgrade.

The Mitsu DLPs use the same screens, and you can simply change the DLP engine. For example, if your bulb burns out and you want to go to 1080p from 720p, you can drop 600 instead of 200 and upgrade the entire DLP engine.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:34 PM
You can debate this kind of crap all day long but in many ways it all comes down to what the pocket book can handle....go to Costco, watch both HD and SD on all the units in the price you have targeted. The Costco I shop has a SAT subscription as well as OTA and DVD/Blu-ray all hooked up to this hub and you can have a look at all the variations in the quality of picture depending on the source. I know all the stores are not set up the same but they will always have some very nice sets on hand. I have a 46 inch Samsung LCD I bought there and am very happy with it. When I bought this set it was right next to a 50 inch plasma and although it was not as vibrant it was about $1200 less.

I have no problem buying at Costco - I'd almost prefer to. But shopping there for a tv is a mistake because the lighting is so terrible. They don't calibrate any of their tv's either, though none of the big box retailer do either.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:35 PM
Stay away from RCA.

The Mitsu DLPs use the same screens, and you can simply change the DLP engine. For example, if your bulb burns out and you want to go to 1080p from 720p, you can drop 600 instead of 200 and upgrade the entire DLP engine.

So you can turn your Medallion into a Diamond?

Partial
06-29-2007, 01:36 PM

I have no problem buying at Costco - I'd almost prefer to. But shopping there for a tv is a mistake because the lighting is so terrible. They don't calibrate any of their tv's either, though none of the big box retailer do either.

Yep, nothing but Gamma gamma gamma contrast contrast contrast all the way up to make them look bright. I didn't calibrate mine well when I had it but it got the job done. In the future, i'll get a calibration dvd.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:42 PM
6. DLP bulbs are like 200 though, and the picture quality for sports is top notch.

This is just personal preference, but I'm a little down on DLP's because of the bulb issue. It's has nothign to do with cost. I don't like the idea of wondering if my bulb will go during my Superbowl party. I don't like the inconenience of having to change the oil in my car either, and I like the simplicity of not having to change bulbs on LCD and Plasma.

MJZiggy
06-29-2007, 01:51 PM
They didn't even mention the S3.

Which, by the way is working out wonderfully. I had no idea you could add lenses to that thing...it's fantastic.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 01:57 PM
They didn't even mention the S3.

Which, by the way is working out wonderfully. I had no idea you could add lenses to that thing...it's fantastic.

My only gripe is the LCD screen size is a little small, and my eyesight has slipped since I turned 40. 10 years ago the size of that screen wouldn't have mattered to me.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 02:03 PM
Yep, nothing but Gamma gamma gamma contrast contrast contrast all the way up to make them look bright. I didn't calibrate mine well when I had it but it got the job done. In the future, i'll get a calibration dvd.

I had both my HD tv's professionally calibrated by an ISO certified tech at the beginning of the year. Funny, but even he has trouble answering the question as to what TV is best.

He did do something intersting though. In his family room with his best HDTV, they keep a old tube CRT just for watching SDTV broadcasts. Nothing comes close to the old tube CRT's for SDTV, and there's probably always going to be a lot of old SDTV content out there.

SDTV typically looks extra crappy on almost all HDTV's.

Scott Campbell
06-29-2007, 02:11 PM
3. Not necessarily. It depends on what material the screen is made out of. The have glossy and matte displays. The matte won't reflect too much.

I'm pretty familiar with Panny and Pioneer Plasma's, and know a little bit about ultra high end Runco and Fujitsu also. I'm not aware of any plasmas that don't have much greater difficulty with glare than their LCD panel counterparts.

Freak Out
06-29-2007, 04:49 PM

That is one of the few drawbacks...the lighting, but in some cases works well for consumers. It is a warehouse and not darkened in anyway to help..enhance?..the darks/black and such but many folks do not have a dedicated theater room and get a bunch of light in..be it natural or compact fluorescent/incandescent. The price and the return policy just cannot be beat although they did change it recently for consumer electronics. I bought a DVD (forgot the name?) to help calibrate my last set and it worked well, but if I was going all out with a theater room I would bring in a pro with the real shit.

Freak Out
06-29-2007, 04:51 PM
SDTV typically looks extra crappy on almost all HDTV's.

So true...I have an old Toshiba bomber CRT that just rocks for SD. My wife hates the thing but I keep it in my cave.

GBRulz
06-29-2007, 04:56 PM
Just a question for any HD subscribers out there. I have an HD TV, but our cable subscription isn't set up for HD.

How much better do sports look in HD then on regular? I've seen them in the stores, but I'm interested to see what you guys think.

You can clearly see all jock strap lines very well, Ballhawk. :twisted: :lol: Anything in HD is like night and day when compared to analog or digital channels. Luckily, I can watch all the Packers in HD because our local channels all broadcast in HD. I also have Dish Network, which easily quadruples the number of overall channels of HD programming vs any other provider. I guess I look at like like why bother getting a nice TV if you aren't going to pay for the HD programming. I'm not even home that much to watch TV, but when I do I want a good picture :wink:

I won't get into the TV debate because everyone is going to have a different opinion, but one thing I can say is DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR CABLES!!

Freak Out
06-29-2007, 04:58 PM
The folks at Toms always do a good job on their reviews. Old but with some good info.

http://www.geardigest.com/2007/01/22/hdtv-buyers-guide/

MadtownPacker
06-29-2007, 07:42 PM
Here are some questions that can change the answer as to what is the "best" tv set for your application.

Around 30 x 20 with a high ceiling and 2 windows plus a sliding glass door.
About 13ft
Lots of light. It is sunny on that side of the pad.
It would be mostly (80%) TV and movies and 20% video games. No PC use at all.
What is your typicall source material (% of SDTV, % of HDTV, % of DVD's and HDDVD's)
That would be DirectTV and whatever HD they offer. I get NFL Sunday Ticket so the games are what I am most concerned with.
Is this your critical viewing tv? Or is it just the 2nd or 3rd tv? Primary
What are the angles that you view from? LCD and Plasma typically have a greater field of view.
The TV will be flat against the wall and the seating will be in the middle of the room facing the wall.

If all this seems pretty complex, that's because it is. I built a home theater and also built 3 HTPC's in our house, and I've invested a ridiculous amount of time in trying to understand all this stuff. I'm not even close to to being an expert. I'm not even sure what I'll buy next.
This is good info SC, thanks. I knew that you would be an expert on big TVs since all your wives and kids cant gather around a small TV.
:wave: :wave:

GrnBay007
06-29-2007, 08:01 PM
This is good info SC, thanks. I knew that you would be an expert on big TVs since all your wives and kids cant gather around a small TV.

LOL!!!

Scott Campbell
06-30-2007, 08:29 AM

Around 30 x 20 with a high ceiling and 2 windows plus a sliding glass door.
About 13ft
Lots of light. It is sunny on that side of the pad.
It would be mostly (80%) TV and movies and 20% video games. No PC use at all.
That would be DirectTV and whatever HD they offer. I get NFL Sunday Ticket so the games are what I am most concerned with.
Is this your critical viewing tv? Or is it just the 2nd or 3rd tv? Primary
The TV will be flat against the wall and the seating will be in the middle of the room facing the wall.

At 13 feet with a relatively narrow field of view and a lot of light, I'd be tempted to go with a 63" 1080P DLP - if that size doesn't overwhelm the room.

How long till one of your friends steals your set?

MJZiggy
06-30-2007, 08:51 AM
At 13 feet with a relatively narrow field of view and a lot of light, I'd be tempted to go with a 63" 1080P DLP - if that size doesn't overwhelm the room.

That's why he needs it so big--so they can't carry it...

Considering the description of the room, Mad, can I come watch at your house?

BallHawk
06-30-2007, 09:21 AM
Considering the description of the room, Mad, can I come watch at your house?

Just remember to bring your bullet-proof vest. :wink:

MadtownPacker
06-30-2007, 11:14 AM

So DLP would be best huh? Good to know that.

Stealing from the homies is a violation.

Freak Out
07-09-2007, 11:27 AM
What did you end up buying dude?

MadtownPacker
07-09-2007, 12:46 PM
What did you end up buying dude?
Haven't bought anything yet.

I have a bad habit of over analyze shit like this so it might be a while. I was checking out this Toshiba 65' DLP and noticed in the online customer reviews many say it was better picture then the Samsung DLP that was that size.

Anyone got experience with Toshiba sets?

GBRulz
07-09-2007, 01:04 PM
I bought a Toshiba for my room a couple months ago. Probably not what you're looking for, a 32" LCD w/ built in DVD player, which is a perfect size for a bedroom. What i can say about Toshiba though is I did call them with a question and their support was awesome. I know customer service is always something I look for when deciding on something to buy.

MadtownPacker
07-09-2007, 01:22 PM
I bought a Toshiba for my room a couple months ago. Probably not what you're looking for, a 32" LCD w/ built in DVD player, which is a perfect size for a bedroom. What i can say about Toshiba though is I did call them with a question and their support was awesome. I know customer service is always something I look for when deciding on something to buy.
Well I have always thought their laptops where alright. I usually buy the extended warranty on larger electronics so customer service aint too big a deal. Half the time I end up messing things up on purpose in a few years so I can get store credit or some kinda of hustle.

What brand is the big screen you have GBM?

Freak Out
07-09-2007, 10:36 PM
Costco.coms latest dlp offerings....the sammy is on sale with a stand but I have no idea how good a dlp they make.

http://www.costco.com/Common/Category.aspx?whse=BC&Ne=4000000&eCat=BC|79&N=4001386&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=4848&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&topnav=

GBRulz
07-09-2007, 11:19 PM
Well I have always thought their laptops where alright. I usually buy the extended warranty on larger electronics so customer service aint too big a deal. Half the time I end up messing things up on purpose in a few years so I can get store credit or some kinda of hustle.

What brand is the big screen you have GBM?

I have a Hitachi 57". I did plenty of shopping around before I bought mine. For the price of a rear projection HDTV, it was too good to pass up. Especially when I bought the 51" at the store and the delivery company gives me the 57" model...hehe

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2007, 05:00 AM
Mad's pride & joy, his Big TV:

http://www.sequelsolutions.biz/tv2.jpg

MadtownPacker
07-10-2007, 10:37 AM
That's exactly what I'm looking for!!! How did you ever find it in "Sissy Blue"???

Little Whiskey
07-10-2007, 05:15 PM
but one thing I can say is DO NOT GO CHEAP ON YOUR CABLES!!

i just was reading an article the other day on yahoo about the diff. between expensive and "cheep" cables. there opinion was that it is mostly marketing. the difference is really in the type of imput. ie component vs hdmi.

have you ever tested them to see the diff.? seems like you can almost spend as much on the cables as you do on the tv. i've never been to a store where they have different versions of the cables hooked up to the same tv.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2007, 05:58 PM

i just was reading an article the other day on yahoo about the diff. between expensive and "cheep" cables. there opinion was that it is mostly marketing. the difference is really in the type of imput. ie component vs hdmi.

have you ever tested them to see the diff.? seems like you can almost spend as much on the cables as you do on the tv. i've never been to a store where they have different versions of the cables hooked up to the same tv.

I think you are referring to the "Monster" phenomena. Nice cables. Outrageous hype and price. You can find great cables at fair prices here:

www.monoprice.com

GBRulz
07-15-2007, 06:32 PM

Yes, Monster has been critisized alot that it's just a marketing ploy in regards to their cables.

When I said not to go cheap on cables, I should have elaborated. I didn't mean to go out and spend hundreds on Monster cables. However, I did notice a big difference in going from cheap RCA cables to Monster, so there is no doubt it is a quality cable. Is it worth the money? I guess there really is no right or wrong answer, all depends on your own opinion. I think to achieve the best results, you do want to stick with something gold plated though as gold is the best conducter in that aspect.

Where I really noticed the difference is upgrading my audio to a fiber optic cable.

Freak Out
07-23-2007, 01:55 PM
Yo Mad! WTF did you buy? Anything yet?

MadtownPacker
07-23-2007, 03:22 PM
I decided to go DLP and am down to the Samsung, Toshiba, and Mitsubishi 60+ inch model. All are 1080p and basically the same features but I'm leaning towards the Samsung.

GBRulz
07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
I just bought a new Samsung cell phone. The display on it is pretty nice :whist:

MadtownPacker
11-15-2007, 09:04 PM
Thanks to everyone who busted out the info. I ended up going with a 67 Samsung DLP. With the HD Sunday ticket I have seen every (except CHI-there & WSH-couldn't be home) game picture perfect. I don't even like watching movies that aren't HD anymore. Was watching "Kingpin" for like the 100th time but first in HD, kicked ass of course.

I have to say ESPN/ABC and FOX have the best HD cameras. No station beats theirs.

Scott Campbell
11-15-2007, 09:19 PM
Thanks to everyone who busted out the info. I ended up going with a 67 Samsung DLP. With the HD Sunday ticket I have seen every (except CHI-there & WSH-couldn't be home) game picture perfect. I don't even like watching movies that aren't HD anymore. Was watching "Kingpin" for like the 100th time but first in HD, kicked ass of course.

I have to say ESPN/ABC and FOX have the best HD cameras. No station beats theirs.

Now on to the bad ass surround system. Sumthin that'll make your house shake like a titty bar during your next showing of Transformers.

Freak Out
11-15-2007, 09:36 PM

67 inch DLP...are you a bachelor?

Guiness
11-16-2007, 05:15 AM
Didn't read the whole thread, so I don't know if anyone mentioned it, but www.avsforum.com is an invaluable resource for looking at TV's. It helped me a ton when I was looking - debunked some myths (like plasma burn in) and steered me towards my final choice of an LG LCD. I wanted to use it as a pc display, and the 1:1 pixel mapping sold me.

MadtownPacker
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
Now on to the bad ass surround system. Sumthin that'll make your house shake like a titty bar during your next showing of Transformers.Thats what I am looking into next. WOuld like something with wireless speakers. WHat kinda $$$ am i looking at?

MadtownPacker
11-16-2007, 10:31 AM
67 inch DLP...are you a bachelor?Nah, I just wear my belt extra tight. :lol:

SkinBasket
11-16-2007, 10:39 AM
You made the right choice for once. Way to go.

DLP looks better than Plasma or LCD right now. Anyone who thinks Projection is junk hasn't seen one since they helped their grandma set hers up 15 years ago.

Freak Out
11-16-2007, 11:07 AM
67 inch DLP...are you a bachelor?Nah, I just wear my belt extra tight. :lol:

Ha...

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 02:39 PM
Now on to the bad ass surround system. Sumthin that'll make your house shake like a titty bar during your next showing of Transformers.Thats what I am looking into next. WOuld like something with wireless speakers. WHat kinda $$$ am i looking at?

I don't think wireless is there yet. They do have some damn near flat speaker wire the goes on walls like tape and is paintable.

The good thing about an investment in a sound system is that they don't come out with something twice as good at half the price every 6 months. Budgets are all over the place.

My kids were cowering in their seats during the ship battles in Master and Commander. That's a great one to test out a new system.

And Guiness is right about www.avsforum.com . It's the best place to get informed. The problem for many people is that the volume of information is staggering, and it might take a month or so getting comfortable with a decision.

One strategy might be to throw out a budget, design a system, and then see what you'd get for your money by throwing another 20% or so at it.

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 02:49 PM

What's your percentage of TV vs. movies?

Scott Campbell
11-16-2007, 03:08 PM
You made the right choice for once. Way to go.

DLP looks better than Plasma or LCD right now. Anyone who thinks Projection is junk hasn't seen one since they helped their grandma set hers up 15 years ago.

Rear projection CRT's are still awesome, even though they don't build them anymore (cept for Hitachi). I have a 6 year old Mits. 73 inch tv, and when properly cleaned and calibrated, it'll hold up with anything made now. They stopped making them for reasons that had nothing to do with PQ. They were just way too big, and way too heavy. The beautiful thing is that people are practically giving them away when they buy flat screens. I wish I had room for another, because you can buy one for around $500 bucks on Craigslist now. Another $500 for calibration, and you're set for 5-7 years.