PDA

View Full Version : DETROIT WANTED OUR GUY! I love it!

gbpackfan
04-30-2006, 09:10 AM
Lions | Team debated trading in the NFL Draft; but passed
Sun, 30 Apr 2006 06:37:01 -0700

Tom Kowalski, of mlive.com, reports Detroit Lions team president Matt Millen gave some thought to trading up or down in the NFL Draft, but he wound up passing. "Teams were calling so you listen to everything and then, at one point, you just say `This is the right player, so let's take the player,"' said Millen. While there were plenty of offers for the Lions to trade down, Millen said he did consider trading up. "I did make one phone call, but it didn't make a difference," Millen said. While he didn't elaborate, it's believed that Millen contacted the Green Bay Packers, who had the fifth overall choice, about possibly moving up to draft Ohio State LB A.J. Hawk.

HA HA! They thought they could build their D around our Hawk! Too bad Millen!

Note: This is the last thread I will start about Hawk, I am just so excited that he is a Packer!

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 09:25 AM
Ted Thompson noted that the #5 pick ended up being very stressful because when he got there a number of teams called to trade up....with Detroit being one.

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 12:02 PM
Glad TT stuck with his gut. After seeing some interview with the Hawk of Lambeau I am very impressed in his appreciation of tradition. I can't wait for him to take reign of the D!

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Thompson was holding back his excitement. I think you could see this meant a lot to him and he really believes in that pick.

I like Thompsons confidence in what he's doing. He doesn't give direct looks into him mind but he's quitely very sure of his picks.

Honestly, I think Thompson feels that he made a few mistakes last year. He said that he had his scouts remind him every 10 minutes to take "great football players" I think he feels that he forgot that a few times last year and wanted to avoid the temptation of the pretty girl with curls....

To me, it's impossible to guess at this shit. How can we rate players we've never seen. These media guys cover this stuff but they don't do it to the degree that scouts and GM's do. Do you really think a GM is going to talk up a great player that they found and think they can get in the 3rd round? We just don't know and that is a fucking fact.

Thompson seems a lot more confident this year and I can hear in his voice and see it in his actions that he believes he made the right decisions. I think he's pretty excited about his class and I sense a guy who is holding back his excitement.

He said Hawk "was the best player on our board" He said Colledge "was the best player on our board"....That says a lot. Sherman always said "He was the best CB on our board" ect......