PDA

View Full Version : What do you think of an NFL Minor League?

GrnBay007
07-01-2007, 11:49 AM
From Ben Maller's Rumors and Notes:

Pro Football Talk reports that a growing number of NFL management types are in favor of launching a minor league system. The value is that the players would be able to fully participate in the offseason program, and then get live game reps during football season, at a time when they otherwise would be hanging around and waiting for guys on the 53-man roster to get hurt. The teams would be based in cities that don't currently have NFL teams, and every team would allocate its practice squad to the minor league. With 32 NFL franchises having eight guys on their practice squads, that's 256 players right out of the gates. The rest of the minor league could be made up of guys who have yet to make the cut in the pros, and who otherwise might be fodder for the soon-to-be-former NFL Europa. Eight teams would be an ideal starting point, and the games could be played in the middle of the week. Since Tuesday and Wednesday evenings typically feature no college or pro football broadcasts, a middle-of-the-week television schedule would be ideal.

BallHawk
07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
The NFL is the most popular league in the United States, why change what works? Stop trying to be like baseball and keep to what has made you successful over the last few decades. If you have a player and put him on the practice squad and somebody picks him up, that's your loss. If this happens, you'll have teams stashing players on the squad and keeping them there. It ruins the strategical part of cuts and allocating players to the PS.

Thumbs down. :|

Rastak
07-01-2007, 12:34 PM
The NFL is the most popular league in the United States, why change what works? Stop trying to be like baseball and keep to what has made you successful over the last few decades. If you have a player and put him on the practice squad and somebody picks him up, that's your loss. If this happens, you'll have teams stashing players on the squad and keeping them there. It ruins the strategical part of cuts and allocating players to the PS.

Why change what works? Then why did they go from 14 games to 16 games? Why go from 45 man rosters to 53? Why create a practice squad? These were all new things. They were all done for reasons. A minor league for the NFL would very beneficial. Live games for guys that could be brought up during the year to replace injured guys. Guys would be in game shape and they could get live film on developmental guys. It makes perfect sense to me. Can the league sustain itself or at least not be a huge financial drain....that's the question. To me that's the only thing that stopped this from happening in the past.

4and12to12and4
07-01-2007, 12:41 PM

BallHawk, I'm surpised at your closemindedness to all this. Would you have been or were you one who also spoke against the AFL, better known as the AFC? I'm sure that entity while in its embryonic stages had its doubter also. Wait a second, if not for the AFC, there wouldn't have been a Denver Broncos, and maybe we would've won more than one SuperBowl. Crap! Can I change my vote? :wink:

I say, go for it. I watch any football that is on TV. I watch Arena Football, I'm currently rooting for someone to beat the Chicago Rush, whether it be Dallas or some other team, because they are in Chicago, and Mike Ditka has his hand in operations. I love rooting against the Rush, it's better than watching Seinfeld reruns for the 20th time and I am almost done with the second season of Boston Legal.

I would just ask that they start the season around April or May and have the playoffs in August. This time of year right now is the worst part of the year for sports. I watch Nascar, my Cubbies, some tennis, some golf, and I still have days and hours where I am searching for some sport to watch. Summer sucks, and if Wisconsin got another football team in the "minor leagues" and they played during this time period, I would watch and root for them. Why not? Football's football. Who knows, in fifteen years, we may be asking "Which team is better, the United Football League Champion or the NFL Champion?" And, then, maybe the networks and owners will get together and decide, if the two champions played against each other for a title, it would be the most watched TV event ever. Weider things have happened.

BallHawk
07-01-2007, 12:45 PM
You raise a good question, 4 and 12, on when to have the games. Do you have games during the season, like baseball, or do you have games during the off season, like NFL Europa did?

The reason I don't see this happening is I don't see how the NFL could make money of this. If Cuban is opening up his league, and you have arena, not to mention high school, where do you fit it in? Is there even a demand for it? Sure, it would benefit the teams, but do the fans really want it. I'm happy with the amount of football I get. I don't need to see Jason Babb chucking bombs to Taco Wallace week in and week out.

4and12to12and4
07-01-2007, 01:00 PM
From what I've read, Mr. Cubans league would be playing around the same time of year as the NFL. That is a mistake in my mind. I don't need MORE football between September and January. It's hard enough keeping up with you guys on a weekly basis with all the issues going on with our Beloved Pack. It's the offseason, RIGHT NOW, that I start getting withdrawals. Another league at this time would only help salivate my mouth even more for the start of the NFL season. For those who don't watch Arena League, try watching the Chicago Rush and not automatically hating them. It happened to me, and I look forward to watching them lose and TVO their games, just as I do with the Yankees. It's something to watch and root for "or in my case, against". If Wisconsin decided to join Arena Football, guys like me would already have vested interest, and when they played the Rush, I would be sure to watch, and become a fan.

So, actually, there IS football on RIGHT NOW, and it IS a minor league of sorts, just not directly related to the NFL, and other than me watching a couple games here and there, are there any of you that give a rats ass about it? If not, why would this other league work? Is Arena football a turnOFF because each team scores every two seconds? They made it an offensive game purposefully thinking that's what people want, hoping that it would surge in popularity because of its 65-60 scores. Personally, its a turnOFF to me. I love defense, hardhitting, etc.. So, it doesn't do much for me when a team only has to advance the ball 1 yard to be in field goal position after every other kickoff return. It is probably why I'm not a bigger fan of Arena football. Too much offense, no defense, doesn't seem like real football to me. Maybe that's because I watch the Big Ten!! :P

Scott Campbell
07-01-2007, 01:25 PM

Why change what works? Then why did they go from 14 games to 16 games? Why go from 45 man rosters to 53? Why create a practice squad? These were all new things.

I agree. Just because baseball does it, it doesn't automatically mean that it's a bad idea. You'll note that no one is proposing sausage races between the 3rd and 4th quarters, or a steroid induced assault on Marino's all time TD record. Leave those to baseball.

Scott Campbell
07-01-2007, 01:28 PM
I would just ask that they start the season around April or May and have the playoffs in August.

I'd move it up a little earlier. The season needs to finish in time for the very best players to get in major league training camp.

Scott Campbell
07-01-2007, 01:33 PM
From what I've read, Mr. Cubans league would be playing around the same time of year as the NFL.

The timing of this "idea" looks a little suspicious. If there is going to be a second league, the NFL might as well own and control it rather than let Cuban put together his own independent league.

HarveyWallbangers
07-01-2007, 02:24 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'd put some one division in Germany. I might include a team or two in Mexico and Canada.

Rastak
07-01-2007, 05:40 PM
I think it's a great idea. I'd put some one division in Germany. I might include a team or two in Mexico and Canada.

Hell, I'd go so far as to put Tarlem! in charge of the Germany division.

MJZiggy
07-01-2007, 05:42 PM
That's only because you know it would be a wise move... :clap:

LL2
07-01-2007, 05:54 PM
I brought this idea up before and mentioned Cuban's proposal and most everyone here shot it down. I'm for it. I think there should be a minor league football team in Milwaukee. That way it would only take me an hour or so to get there.

Charles Woodson
07-01-2007, 07:37 PM

I wouldnt put a division in germany. Keep it in the US. the only reasoning behind this is the travel time, it would be too much on the players.

Freak Out
07-01-2007, 07:41 PM
I thought the NCAA was the NFLs minor league? :?:

the_idle_threat
07-02-2007, 01:55 AM
I can't see this working well with practice squad players if played during the regular football season. The rosters would need to be set.

Calling up guys to the "majors" as injury replacements during the season would screw up the rosters on the minor league teams, spoiling whatever rapport the players have built while playing together. Especially on offense---with offensive linemen playing next to each other and quarterbacks learning receivers and vice versa, it takes time for guys to get used to each other and gel, and then the roster gets shaken up because a guy (probably the team's best guy too) gets called up?

Remember that they're all basically free agents---ANY NFL team can sign a guy from any other team's practice squad. So the first NFL team who suffers an injury at, say, running back, will pluck the top performer from the league.

Add this roster instability to the inevitable injuries that happen at any level of football, I think it's a recipe that guarantees poor quality football.

cheesner
07-02-2007, 09:15 AM
I can't see this working well with practice squad
Remember that they're all basically free agents---ANY NFL team can sign a guy from any other team's practice squad. So the first NFL team who suffers an injury at, say, running back, will pluck the top performer from the league.

I don't see anything wrong with that. Perhaps you could change the designation and 'protect' a few players from being taken by other teams. But I am thinking, being able to sign any player from the development league would help create more parity in the league. This, of course, would be a good thing. Bad teams would have the option of improving their roster throughout the season. On a personal side, perhaps Las Vegas would be able to get a team I would get to see some live football.

MJZiggy
07-02-2007, 09:19 AM
I brought this idea up before and mentioned Cuban's proposal and most everyone here shot it down. I'm for it. I think there should be a minor league football team in Milwaukee. That way it would only take me an hour or so to get there.

I think there's a difference between an NFL minor league/farm system and what Cuban has in mind. Besides, I still think his biggest problem is in scheduling on Friday nights during high school football season. I also don't want football to have any more similarity to the WWE than it already does.

BallHawk
07-02-2007, 09:27 AM
The more I think about it, the more I think there is no way it could possibly work. You would have to make up a ton of rules regarding claiming players, placing players on the team, etc.

Also, and this is the biggest question, how do the teams make money? Why would somebody pay money to see medicore football, when they could watch the NFL at home? Arena works because it is different (I'm not a fan, but other people are.) Who wants to watch Taco Wallace and BJ Sander playing football week in and week out? Horrible idea.

Charles Woodson
07-02-2007, 09:27 AM
another thing i just thought of was how would the draft work. I mean would they make it longer or keep it the same.

The Leaper
07-02-2007, 10:49 AM
Incredibly STUPID idea...for all of the reasons mentioned.

They couldn't pawn this crap off on unsuspecting Europeans with any measure of success...how the hell do you think a mediocre football product would go over in the US?

Tarlam!
07-02-2007, 12:54 PM
It's a sensational idea. The reason the NFL Europa failed was because the US market basically igored it. Why? That's EASY: No team affinity was possible.

College and High School ball has a huge following because people can relate to the teams. Who in the US could relate to Rhein Fire or the Amsterdam Admirals??

I definitely think it should be 32 farm teams, linked by contract to a single NFL team. Ownership is offered to owners. If they pass, it is whoever ante's up and is voted acceptable to the NFL...

I certainly would consider going to Mexico or Canada with a team. Europe might be tough. It would almost always be an 8 hour flight for visiting teams.

I would also run it similar to the NFL timing wise, but finish mid December. I would also only play 12 games in the regular. Remember, these players are supposed to be available for when they are called upon.

There should aloo be a rule that if a player is cut from your NFL team, he cannot play for your farm team until the following season...Otherwise, we'd get dizzy from all the shifting.

Unlike the practice squads, right of first refusal should also be mandatory and claiming a player off another farm team is an automatic 2nd rounder...

One last point: No Farm team my be located in a state that has an NFL team. New Mexico Dragons, here we come!

woodbuck27
07-03-2007, 05:12 PM
Geeee that's funny.

I was just thinking about just this over the past week.

What a boost it might potentially give to smaller cities.

Realistically the minor leagues are already established in the NCAA and to a far lesser extent the arena league (AFL) and CFL now that NFL E is folding.

The NFL would have to find a willing market for such a minor PRO league and the question begging to be answered is:

Would it (the NFL) be better served by moving in that dirction?

I believe like alot today. It's going to come down to financial sense rather than entertainment.

Tarlam!
07-06-2007, 12:05 PM
Bump. This thread should get some attention....

Charles Woodson
07-06-2007, 12:10 PM
I think that if they played during the summer, and put them in towns that dont have many other pro teams that the league could do well

BallHawk
07-06-2007, 02:31 PM
Small town teams?

Yeah, I'm sure people would like to see the Appelton Assault vs. Des Moines Ethanol. I'm certain that would make good TV. :roll:

Zool
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Small town teams?

Yeah, I'm sure people would like to see the Appelton Assault vs. Des Moines Ethanol. I'm certain that would make good TV. :roll:I dont think you assume minor league football is going to be on TV. How many times have you watched a minor league baseball game on TV?

I dont think its a viable option because players that are good enough to be in the NFL are there.

GrnBay007
07-06-2007, 02:35 PM
Small town teams?

Des Moines Ethanol.

LOL!!

I'd watch :oops:

GrnBay007
07-06-2007, 02:49 PM
A current poll on Fox Sports:

Does the NFL need a minor league?

41% Yes, the NFL Europe will be sorely missed

59% No, college football is good enough for a minor league

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl

bottom right hand corner

retailguy
07-06-2007, 02:51 PM
A current poll on Fox Sports:

Does the NFL need a minor league?

41% Yes, the NFL Europe will be sorely missed

59% No, college football is good enough for a minor league

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl

bottom right hand corner

The NFL has a minor league. Haven't you seen that prison movie? Rae Carruth is the star, and Pacman Jones is going to lead next years defense. :wink:

Bretsky
07-06-2007, 05:18 PM
I'm fine with the idea; with TT garnering up 11-12 picks every year maybe we'd win the Farm League Bowl ?

BallHawk
07-06-2007, 05:24 PM
I dont think you assume minor league football is going to be on TV. How many times have you watched a minor league baseball game on TV?

If it isn't on TV, why would the NFL do it? There is no way they could get enough revenue from it. I don't think the people are going to flock out to see the games. It'll be more quiet then a Pirate game at PNC.

Bretsky
07-06-2007, 05:26 PM
I dont think you assume minor league football is going to be on TV. How many times have you watched a minor league baseball game on TV?

If it isn't on TV, why would the NFL do it? There is no way they could get enough revenue from it. I don't think the people are going to flock out to see the games. It'll be more quiet then a Pirate game at PNC.\

I think I'd watch it on TV if it was available. Heck, it might have a bigger following than the NBA finals :idea: :shock:

BallHawk
07-06-2007, 05:29 PM

If it isn't on TV, why would the NFL do it? There is no way they could get enough revenue from it. I don't think the people are going to flock out to see the games. It'll be more quiet then a Pirate game at PNC.\

I think I'd watch it on TV if it was available. Heck, it might have a bigger following than the NBA finals :idea: :shock:

Not exactly setting the bar high, are we? :wink:

Bretsky
07-06-2007, 05:40 PM

Not exactly setting the bar high, are we? :wink:

Not since TT became our GM :five: :flag: :tup:

BallHawk
07-06-2007, 06:15 PM
Is there a Anti-TT Addict-Anonymous Club? If so, then I would suggest you join. You're obsessed.

NOTE: There is, indeed, a Anti-TT-Anonymous Club. Woody is the President, as well as the main patient. :wink:

Bretsky
07-06-2007, 06:22 PM
Is there a Anti-TT Addict-Anonymous Club? If so, then I would suggest you join. You're obsessed.

NOTE: There is, indeed, a Anti-TT-Anonymous Club. Woody is the President, as well as the main patient. :wink:

ah, there goes that obsessed word you and Zool throw around. Woody speaks a lot of sense.

If you knew me better, you'd know I have obsessions.....aka chicks and chicks and chicks........but they have little to do with football :lol:

BallHawk
07-06-2007, 06:25 PM
If you knew me better, you'd know I have obsessions.....aka chicks and chicks and chicks........but they have little to do with football :lol:

You make your obsessions, whatever they be, quite noticeable. They're not exactly well-kept secrets. :wink:

the_idle_threat
07-07-2007, 12:06 AM
The Appleton Asshats?

BallHawk
07-07-2007, 08:50 AM
http://static.last.fm/groupavatar/37ac637518b63f658abfed233d1a22fd.jpg VShttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/97/40/23044097.jpg

Bretsky
07-07-2007, 10:28 AM
http://static.last.fm/groupavatar/37ac637518b63f658abfed233d1a22fd.jpg VShttp://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/97/40/23044097.jpg

Corn, that must be the team from Iowa :lol:

Charles Woodson
07-07-2007, 11:16 AM
Small town teams?

Yeah, I'm sure people would like to see the Appelton Assault vs. Des Moines Ethanol. I'm certain that would make good TV. :roll:

It beats the current shit on TV. I mean honestly there is nothing going on with football. And besides why does it have to be small places. I mean for instance Orlando, but they have an arena football team so idk how that would fair, San Antonio or Austin, somewhere in WV or something like that. I say put em in big places that dont have a pro football team. And besides, GB isnt a gigantic place, yet football there fairs great.

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 11:49 AM
I think the NFL teams should use their logos for their farm teams to highlight the affiliation.

We could have an enormous rivalry between The Soux Falls Vikings, The Fargo Bears, The Omaha Lions and, finally, The Cheyenne Packers.....

Scott Campbell
07-07-2007, 12:43 PM
I think the NFL teams should use their logos for their farm teams to highlight the affiliation.

We could have an enormous rivalry between The Soux Falls Vikings, The Fargo Bears, The Omaha Lions and, finally, The Cheyenne Packers.....

If we had minor league football with NFL team affiliations in SLC, I'd go.

Bretsky
07-07-2007, 01:03 PM
Honestly, I'd go to the games as well. I'm football hungry

Rastak
07-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I love the affiliation idea Tar had but that's just too many teams so they'd probably have to double or triple up.

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 01:07 PM
Honestly, I'd go to the games as well. I'm football hungry

Ya, but only if the teams were actually connected to an NFL team. And firmly.

Nobody cared about NFLE, because there was ZERO emotional attachment.

The Americans didn't care about a far away league with no affilliations, and the Europeans were just getting used to it, before it got killed.

Unless we have a reason to root for the teams (as we do in college and HS), why bother?

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 01:10 PM
I love the affiliation idea Tar had but that's just too many teams so they'd probably have to double or triple up.

Ras, you know more about it than I. I just feel nobody will really support it if it's not firmly attached.

I would envisgae a mirror of the NFL. The same way of picking the schedules etc. Heck, that way, we get two chance to be delighted each week!

Rastak
07-07-2007, 02:34 PM

Ras, you know more about it than I. I just feel nobody will really support it if it's not firmly attached.

I would envisgae a mirror of the NFL. The same way of picking the schedules etc. Heck, that way, we get two chance to be delighted each week!

Hey I'm with ya, it's a GREAT idea on paper...I'd absolutely watch it if my favorite team had a minor league affiliate...I just don't think they'll go with 32 teams and fill them all up.

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 03:24 PM
I just don't think they'll go with 32 teams and fill them all up.

No, not unless it was, at worst, a break even proposition. The value add would have to come from maturing players otherwise doomed for the CFL or Arena League.

But if you paid player slightly more than practice squad, then, you'd have limited fixed costs.

You might also only allow a total of, say, 33 players on the roster. I am sure I would wanna watch the Packers 2nd division team go against the Vikes' 2nd division team.

the_idle_threat
07-08-2007, 03:29 AM
LOL @

http://static.last.fm/groupavatar/37ac637518b63f658abfed233d1a22fd.jpg

:lol:

I've never actually seen an asshat before. Was this picture taken in the wild, or was this one in captivity?

GrnBay007
07-08-2007, 03:47 AM
LOL @

http://static.last.fm/groupavatar/37ac637518b63f658abfed233d1a22fd.jpg

:lol:

I've never actually seen an asshat before. Was this picture taken in the wild, or was this one in captivity?

Don't matter.........

http://images.jupiterimages.com/common/detail/97/40/23044097.jpg
Will Prevail!!!! :P

the_idle_threat
07-08-2007, 04:09 AM
That's an anal-retentive corn picture. You can see that somebody actually spent time placing all of those individual kernels about the same distance apart from each other.

Speaking of kernels, have you ever seen Iowa's actual minor league "corn" team? :D

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/69/MKSkdtxZ.jpg