PDA

View Full Version : We may not know what we know or don't know about Abdul Hodge

4and12to12and4
07-01-2007, 12:22 PM
This post is actually a reply I gave in a different thread, but I thought it warranted its own thread, due to the popular theory around here that Abdul Hodge had a sub-par year in his rookie campaign. I feel that this tag is unwarranted, and presupposes many things about him that we still don't know, simply because he hasn't even gotten a real shot yet. My reply goes as such:

I come to this site nearly on a daily basis, because I feel that the members here are more knowledgeable than any other site (except maybe Packerchatters, but many there are "footballnerds" and would rather argue about science and neourosurgery than football; sorry if I offended anyone here who regularly contributes to that site , been there, done that).

Anyhoo, I can understand those who get on guys like Fergy who have obviously underperformed while wearing the green and gold, but, for the life of me, I don't understand all this negativity towards Hodge. Most here act like he FAILED last year. The only evidence I have ever read involves the Seattle game (obviously, because it was the only game he really was given a chance). And now, in this thread all seem to agreee that he was horrible on ST. ????????????????????????????????????????????????

I have a completely different take on Mr. Hodge.

Firstly, the only time he was given a fair shot in terms of time on the field to prove himself, was preseason. I know that was just about a year ago now, but, people, please, do you remember the MONSTER that showed up in those games? He was in the backfield half the day, and laying hits on the opposition that were Lott-like. How soon we forget. There was thread after thread after thread after thread of how we could get Barnett, Hawk, and Hodge out there at the same time. I think I even saw some pictures.

Secondly, he then becomes a benchwarmer, because, if you remember, Barnett started sqwuacking, as he heard the rumors of his sudden demise, and felt Hodge's breath down his neck.

Thirdly, he gets no real time to learn the defense by BEING OUT THERE, while Hawk begins the season not exactly getting defensive player of the week or month honors. He was steady, but no one really talked about him much the first 3/4's of the season, because, well, he was making some tackles, quite a few actually, but he wasn't making the "big plays" that we thought we were gonna get out of him. I mean, let's be honest here, we all envision Hawk to be "Urlacher", period. That's why we gave him most of the season to prove himself. He got burnt in coverage over and over and over and over, but that was ok, because, well, he's Hawk, and it takes time to get acclamated to the NFL, he's only a rookie.

Fourthly, (is fourthly a word?), so Barnett breaks his hand, and is so scared that Hodge will come in and be dominant and never relinquish the position, practically begs the front office to let him play with the broken hand, he didn't want to sit for even one game. TT and MM decide to make him sit, and hodge gets his ONE shot. It just so happens to be a day in which the footing on the field is as slippery as a Bill Clinton speech, and he AND THE REST OF THE TEAM INCLUDING HAWK, can't find a way to stop one of the best backs in the league from running, which makes sense, considering the style of running Mr. Alexander is accustomed to, which is quick, unsudden, fluid cuts and straight up runnning, nothing that requires planting your foot down and completely changing direction while all weight is on said foot (like the way LT and Bush and Barry Sanders and backs like that make a living). So, as the entire defense simply got some bad timing with Mother Nature, and Hodge shared that bad timing the one game he was given a chance, we label him as a failure, and everything else most here have since said about him. Oh, BTW, he returned an interception back for a touchdown in that game, in case you may have forgetten.

I think I've made my point. Abdul Hodge is a gifted athlete, who will, I believe if given an opportunity, WILL be a playmaker and one of the hardest hitting LB's in the game. As far as his coverage skills go, come on, shouldn't we give him as much rope there as we have given our god, and saviour, Mr. Hawk??

I'm not even going to bother with defending his ST play. Give me a break. We're judging the guy for not having 50 tackles on ST's or something? I don't even know where this is coming from. If we judged all our players on their name recognition during ST's, Fergy should be the most popular guy on this site, because has always busted his ass on ST's and is one of our best ST players we have. It hasn't changed how everyone here feels about him.

Let's give Hodge a chance to fail, before we label him a failure.

GoPackGo
07-01-2007, 12:43 PM
good post.
I agree we need to give him some time before we judge.

Noodle
07-01-2007, 02:56 PM
My view is that a lot of the negative views on Hodge are a reaction to the overly positive views of the guy that spread after his impressive preseason showing. Sort of a "for every action there is an equal (or more) and opposite reaction" kind of thing.

But you can't deny that the guy looked uncomfortable in space and that he can be exploited in pass coverage. This is not unexpected, as I think it is very difficult to defend the pass from the LB position. I'm hopeful he will get better -- God knows I did my job better in year 2 thand I did in year 1.

oregonpackfan
07-01-2007, 03:16 PM
good post.
I agree we need to give him some time before we judge.

...what he said.

ND72
07-01-2007, 07:39 PM
The simple fact is, after the Family Night "SCRIMMAGE" everyone had him pegged as the starting MLB for the team. Abdul does one thing well, make hard tackles. Everything that was written in his draft bio that he can't cover, can't get off blocks, and doesn't read very well, is completely 100% TRUE. He can't cover at all. He cant' get off blocks...which by the way, in the Family Night Scrimmage, our team decided NOT to block the MLB....AND, he doesn't read very well, which hurts him even more to get off blocks.

Yes, I do like Abdul Hodge...but he is JUST a backup right now in the NFL, and now where the level that, for some of you, even where Nick Barnett is.

Zool
07-01-2007, 10:10 PM
I dont think Hodge is as good as everyone made him out to be in PS nor is he as bad as everyone thought after the Seattle game. He did get caught in the wash a lot against Seattle, but he's a rookie.

I've far from given up on the guy, but I was hoping after TC that he could step in and start sometime last season and have a lot of success. Give the kid a couple more seasons to see what he can learn.

Partial
07-01-2007, 10:17 PM
I certainly don't think he is an OLB and he is going to have a hard time always because he doesn't have the height(short arms) to get off blocks. I am not at all giving up on him yet, but its clear he is still pretty raw.

Lurker64
07-02-2007, 02:44 AM
He didn't do much in his first year at Iowa either, but he grew into a heck of a player in time (by his senior year, he was the biggest playmaker on the defense). Judging a player harshly on what they did or didn't do in their first season is just kind of silly.

He'll get a chance, and he has the tools to make the most of it. The only thing that worries me is the sheer number of minor nagging injuries that he seems to be missing time with. He never had that problem under Ferentz.

Partial
07-02-2007, 07:42 AM
He didn't do much in his first year at Iowa either, but he grew into a heck of a player in time (by his senior year, he was the biggest playmaker on the defense). Judging a player harshly on what they did or didn't do in their first season is just kind of silly.

He'll get a chance, and he has the tools to make the most of it. The only thing that worries me is the sheer number of minor nagging injuries that he seems to be missing time with. He never had that problem under Ferentz.

He's going to have a tough time shedding tackles, though. Even with the Big 10's big OLs, they aren't near the size of an NFL line. He is going to need to work on his game big time over the next year or two. I think he'll be alright when all is said and done.

wist43
07-02-2007, 08:56 AM
Hodge had a disappointing season, but given that he's a fish out of water in this system, that's not suprising.

I like Hodge for his toughness and tackling ability... and contrary to comments in previous posts, he has very good instincts (at least in the run game), and is as good as any LB on the roster at getting off blocks. That said, he played poorly in his limited opportunities.

Hodge is, was, and will always be an ILB in a 3-4... IMO, it's the only system he can play in. Even though I like him as a player, he never should have been picked by the Packers given the scheme they run.

Wouldn't suprise me one bit if they cut him in training camp.

Patler
07-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Hodge had a disappointing season, but given that he's a fish out of water in this system, that's not suprising.

I like Hodge for his toughness and tackling ability... and contrary to comments in previous posts, he has very good instincts (at least in the run game), and is as good as any LB on the roster at getting off blocks. That said, he played poorly in his limited opportunities.

Hodge is, was, and will always be an ILB in a 3-4... IMO, it's the only system he can play in. Even though I like him as a player, he never should have been picked by the Packers given the scheme they run.

Wouldn't suprise me one bit if they cut him in training camp.

I also will not be surprised if Hodge is released before the season. I'm not sure he can survive even as an ILB in a 3-4 defense in the NFL. The player that comes to mind that Hodge might be similar to is Dat Ngyuen, except Hodge is even smaller by about 10 lbs (if rosters are to be believed). Nguyen was vastly undersized and ultimately could not hold up physically. I believe Nguyen was quite a bit faster than Hodge, however, and just as good of a tackler.

Hodge may be just another one of those very good, big-school college athletes whose bodies, athletic abilities and skills just do not transition well to the pro level. It happens in all sports.

Joemailman
07-02-2007, 11:43 AM
Seems like we've gone from irrational exuberance regarding Hodge to irrational pessimism. All this talk about Hodge not having all the physical qualities you're looking for in a linebacker were known when he was drafted. That's why he was available in the 3rd round. Instincts, the ability to quickly diagnose plays are incredibly important for a linebacker. Hodge hasn't played enough to be judged on that yet. He was coming off an injury and had only played special teams when he was thrown into the starting lineup against Shawn Alexander and the Seahawks. He was not ready, and it was a mistake by McCarthy to start him. Sometimes rookie head coaches make rookie mistakes too. Let's see what he can do this year before writing him off.

Tarlam!
07-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Well, everybody here knows I am firmly on the Hodge Bandwagon. Equally, everybody knows it's just a gut feeling with me.

I am disappointed to learn from Wisty and Patler, "my" Hodge is playing the wrong system or (Lord forbid) playing outside his league.

I just adore the guy, based on what he has sid in his interviews and what was written up about him in college and training camp.

Although Nick Barnett is the better ILB, I wonder what he would have been like had he been the starter from day one... I am certain of one thing: we would have more tackles for loss than we have had from Nick.

Merlin
07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Could you please post the quote where Barnett was "squawking" or where he was quoted as saying he was afraid of losing his position to Hodge and that's the reason he wanted to continue to play with a broken hand?

The quote you are referring to have ZERO to do with Hodge and more to do with your obvious adoration for Hodge. Barnett did not want to be moved to the outside in a contract year. I don't blame him. He did back that up by saying he will play where ever they want him to. As far as his injury goes, that is laughable. He wanted to play because he felt he could. The staff watched him during that week of practice and determined he wasn't ready to go with the club on so they sat him. Was he upset? Sure, but not about Hodge taking his spot, he was upset because he couldn't play.

Barnett is a competitor and although 3T has gone out of his way to replace him with lessor talent in Hodge, Barnett is our best option at MLB and will be for the duration of his contract. Give a little credit where it's due. I like Hodge, but he has played up to or down expectations to depending on your perspective, as to what he was pegged as coming out of college. Saying that Barnett is shaking in his boots over Hodge is a mistake. Saying Barnett is shaking in his boots because of how 3T runs the personell would be more accurate.

rbaloha1
07-02-2007, 12:29 PM
Agree it is premature to gauge Hodge. Is Hodge another Torrance Marshall (very good college lb with great physical skills but unable to adjust to a more disciplined pro scheme)? Only training camp and preseason will tell.

In addition, Hodge has tremendous competition from Desmond Bishop, Rory White, Juwann Simpson and Tracy White. Both Rory and Juwann may be much better athletically than Hodge.

Patler
07-02-2007, 02:47 PM
I'm not pessimistic about Hodge, but on the other hand I have no great expectations for him. Reality is that a lot of third round picks come and go without making a huge impact (Johnson, Washington, Petersen, Holland, Williams, Warren, Brown, Jue, Anderson, etc). Others do make a mark (Brooks, Flannigan, Henderson, Williams, etc.) Hodge has some pluses, but his size and lack of speed with be obstacles in a profession that prizes size and on a team that values speed. Sometimes players overcome those things, sometimes they don't.

He will face some competition this year. Most of the time, backup linebackers are expected to be special teams stalwarts, and several in camp are expected to be good ST players. If he doesn't show that ability, he could end up losing out to a better special teams performer who might not be quite as good from scrimmage. It happens.

For those reasons it won't surprise me if he is released, it also won't surprise me if he stays.

Partial
07-02-2007, 03:34 PM
Hodge may be just another one of those very good, big-school college athletes whose bodies, athletic abilities and skills just do not transition well to the pro level. It happens in all sports.

Just ask Patrick Patlerson. A first class college QB who stood at 5'6" with small hands and just couldn't adjust to the larger ball used in the pros!! One of the finest college QBs of our time :lol:

RashanGary
07-02-2007, 05:39 PM
I was never very high on Hodge but I think it's a little too early to bail unless he's showing signs of being lazy or uninterested.

4and12to12and4
07-02-2007, 06:07 PM
Could you please post the quote where Barnett was "squawking" or where he was quoted as saying he was afraid of losing his position to Hodge and that's the reason he wanted to continue to play with a broken hand?
The quote you are referring to have ZERO to do with Hodge and more to do with your obvious adoration for Hodge. Barnett did not want to be moved to the outside in a contract year. I don't blame him. He did back that up by saying he will play where ever they want him to. As far as his injury goes, that is laughable. He wanted to play because he felt he could. The staff watched him during that week of practice and determined he wasn't ready to go with the club on so they sat him. Was he upset? Sure, but not about Hodge taking his spot, he was upset because he couldn't play.

Barnett is a competitor and although 3T has gone out of his way to replace him with lessor talent in Hodge, Barnett is our best option at MLB and will be for the duration of his contract. Give a little credit where it's due. I like Hodge, but he has played up to or down expectations to depending on your perspective, as to what he was pegged as coming out of college. Saying that Barnett is shaking in his boots over Hodge is a mistake. Saying Barnett is shaking in his boots because of how 3T runs the personell would be more accurate.

I'm way too lazy to research and find the stories of Barnett's whining near the end of preseason, I simply remember that during that time, when all the fan base and reporters were asking to move Barnett to OLB, he was not happy about it, and let it be known through the press. I don't have the story, but I remember, he was in the locker room when he was very addamant about even sharing time with Hodge at MLB. Now, agreed that a lot of that had to do with contract year coming up, and supposedly you don't get near as many tackles at the OLB position fans and reporters were suggesting he move to, so he was looking out for his pocket book, but it just makes sense that he was a bit nervous about a young guy who hits hard and shows big play potential, especially behind the line of scrimmage, coming in and doing his job better than him. That's just a normal human response. Then, when he broke his hand, you say he wanted to play the next week because of "his competitive nature". That may have something to do with it, and I have no evidence other than my gut feeling, but I can't help but think that he didn't want Hodge out there in his spot. Once again, human nature. That's how Brett got his job, and then never relinquished the position. It happens all the time. Look at the Eagles. Their backup QB comes in and lights it up, and half of Philly wants him as their starter. There are countless stories of backups coming in to replace an injured starter, and outplay the starter, causing controversy. That HAD to be going through Nicks mind when he was injured.

I'm not saying that Hodge is better Barnett, I happen to really like Nick, the only thing I don't like about him is how he overruns some plays, but he busts his ass and is fast as hell. As far as Hodge's speed, some here have said he's not fast enough, do you know what his 40 numbers were? Was he slower than Hawk? If so, how much? Speed is important, but more so, instinct, and being in the right place is important. He WAS in the right spot for his interception in the Seattle game. Everyone says how horrible a game he had, yet he runs in a touchdown. Tough critics!!

The book on Hodge as far as negatives were his thin legs and he played a bit stiff. But, he proved in preseason that he COULD shed blockers and lay out RB's, many times in the backfield. If he can't shed a blocker, how was he getting into the backfield so often? Were defenses just ignoring him? I don't know where this is coming from, other than remembering what the "experts" said about him after the draft about the lack of lower body power. He went from being a DOMINANT force on our defense in PS to benchwarming in the reg. season, simply because there was nowhere to put him, and of course his nagging injury. However, I thought the coaching staff did a poor job of getting him in games throughout the season, when healthy, he should've played at least one down per series each game. They chose not to do that, and now we still don't know what we have in him. You watch, he will light it up in this year's preseason, and will earn himself more time on the field this year. That is my prediction. Maybe I'm wrong. It wouldn't be the 1st time! :oops:

ND72
07-02-2007, 07:30 PM
You are talking about professional athletes, who have more pride within themselves than any single high school team. If you are openingly telling a guy, you're not that good, after he's been starting there for how long, I'm pretty sure there is going to be a "spark" of some kind.

Weather you believe it or not, Barnett has nothing to worry about, cause Hodge is not a threat right now. And the contract Barnett signed says that as well. If the coaching staff thought Hodge would be ready to take Barnett out, you can bet they would have told Teddy not to do the signing.

If you think Barnett was whining...it's doubtful. The fact is you can't threaten a professional athlete, cause they're going to fire back at you very quickly.

ND72
07-02-2007, 07:37 PM
If he can't shed a blocker, how was he getting into the backfield so often? Were defenses just ignoring him? I don't know where this is coming from, other than remembering what the "experts" said about him after the draft about the lack of lower body power.

MANY "experts" and other college scouts have said Hodge benefitted from Chad Greenway being on the field. When I said he was only making plays in the preseason, it's true...and the further into the preseason we got, the less you saw it happening. Family night our OL was not getting up to the 2nd level and getting hte LB's the way they were suppose to, so Hodge looked like a god, especially against our 2ND OR 3RD TEAM offenses. In preseason, the better, or higher competition he played against, the less you saw of him. YES...he makes big tackles WHEN he actually makes it to the play. The Seattle game, he was horrible. completely wrong reads. not sheding blockers. and generally just congesting the defense, and Hawk had to routinely run around Hodge in order to get to a play.

We can have these discussions all summer long...but it doesn't matter, Barnett is our starting MLB.

run pMc
07-06-2007, 10:02 AM
Barnett is the starting MLB. Based on what I saw last year, Hodge has a long, long way to go to oust Barnett.

I thought they pulled Hodge off ST because he wasn't doing well there, either...or am I mistaken?

One game as a rookie starter (in crappy weather) is not enough to say if the guy is a bust, so I think it's early to give up on him. With all the new LBs, M3 and TT may not be so gracious -- training camp will determine if he stays or goes.
I don't know if he'd be any better in a 3-4. I heard he was a good run defender & had good instincts in the Big10; I'm hoping that translates to the pro game.

Tarlam!
07-06-2007, 11:15 AM
MANY "experts" and other college scouts have said Hodge benefitted from Chad Greenway being on the field.

Interesting. Just imagine how Hodge might do if Hawk and Barnett were on the field.

I love Poppinga. He has a heart the size of Green Bay itself; his animal-like intensity is positively contageous. I still regard the trio of Barnett, Hodge and Hawk as our no. one package at LB.

Go ahead, call me stupid.

Bretsky
07-06-2007, 05:08 PM
I'd love to see Hodge emerge as the #3 LB; to me right now we have two very good players at LB and just a guy

Harlan Huckleby
07-06-2007, 09:17 PM
Poppinga came in as essentially a rookie, back early from a major injury, and made excellent progress throughout the season. It's impossible to know where he'll be this year. Maybe he already peaked, maybe not.

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 04:48 AM
It's impossible to know where he'll be this year. Maybe he already peaked, maybe not.

That's true of the entire squad. Hell, we are not sure if Favre will look like he did in 2005 or 2006 either.

I remember Barnett's rookie season was only "OK", as far as critics go. He had a ton of tackles, but very very few for loss. He's not an Urlacher, nor will he ever be, IMHO.

I saw Poppinga improve. But I didn't have a chance to see Hodge improve over his one start.

Harlan Huckleby
07-07-2007, 08:35 AM
That's true of the entire squad. Hell, we are not sure if Favre will look like he did in 2005 or 2006 either.

Nah, we know what we got with Nick Barnett, Chad Clifton, AJ Hawk, Noah Herron......... even Brett Favre is fairly predictable.

Poppinga is much more of a wild card, his steady improvement last season could have much to do with recovery from injury, in which case he have more upside.

Fritz
07-09-2007, 08:29 AM
I'm afraid I am one of those folks who is disappointed - because of the special teams play of Hodge. No, he can't be expected to be a star or a starter right away, but a player with a modicum of talent and desire can do well on ST right away - but Hodge did not play well there.

I hope he does well this year.

BallHawk
07-09-2007, 09:08 AM
Hodge is more of a liability then a help on defense. I'd rather have Poppinga in there. Am I saying that Poppinga is great? No way. However, he's probably a better fit then Hodge for this team, as of now.

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Hodge, a liability? Lousy on ST?

You guys kill me.

Ask yourself this: By whom would I rather be tackled 8 times per game? Whom would be more likely to crack my vertabrae in a direct bodily confrontation in a scrimmage?

If you answer Barnett, you are just ignoring reality IMO. I would have no problem facing even Nick, if that were my choice.

Bossman641
07-09-2007, 01:03 PM
Hodge, a liability? Lousy on ST?

You guys kill me.

Ask yourself this: By whom would I rather be tackled 8 times per game? Whom would be more likely to crack my vertabrae in a direct bodily confrontation in a scrimmage?

If you answer Barnett, you are just ignoring reality IMO. I would have no problem facing even Nick, if that were my choice.

You're asking who would I rather serve as a tackling dummy for. Hodge's problem is not tackling, it's getting into position to make the tackle.

I'm much more interested in who is the better player right now, and it's Barnett by a long shot. I'd rather see Barnett wrap up 8 outta 8 times, then see Hodge make 4 highlight hits and get burned the other 4.

Carolina_Packer
07-09-2007, 03:58 PM
[quote=Tarlam!]I'm much more interested in who is the better player right now, and it's Barnett by a long shot. I'd rather see Barnett wrap up 8 outta 8 times, then see Hodge make 4 highlight hits and get burned the other 4.

I totally agree with that point.

I don't know if Hodge is OLB material. We'll see. He's certainly not going to supplant Barnett now that Nick got his contract, unless Barnett is amenable to moving now that he has his contract, and Hodge shows enough improvement to warrant the move. What that could do is create a rotation where Poppinga could come in on passing downs, Hodge could take a blow on the sidelines and Barnett could move back to MLB.

I think he'll only get better after his first year. I would never doubt his desire, and I think his comfort level will only get better as the season progresses. Now you just hope for good health.

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm much more interested in who is the better player right now, and it's Barnett by a long shot. I'd rather see Barnett wrap up 8 outta 8 times, then see Hodge make 4 highlight hits and get burned the other 4.

That's where I just know, you have never played ball at a senior level.

Neither have I.

But I captainedmy high school rugby team. That's pretty physical.

Anyway, I gave that up, but, I did play one final game. A few years later. I got killed on the first tackle of the game. Effectively, that pain took away may ability to play.

That was not the pain I knew as a kid. That was man's pain.

If Hodge hits like he looks he can hit, I would EASILY take 4 and 4 for a few games.

I ran into an enforcer, it utterly ended any of my hopes to play professional Rugby. Had I of ran into Barnett, I may have captained Australia. Yes, I was that good.

the_idle_threat
07-09-2007, 04:18 PM
What that could do is create a rotation where Poppinga could come in on passing downs, Hodge could take a blow on the sidelines and Barnett could move back to MLB.

Wouldn't this take Hawk off the field? I don't think they'll do that. :o

Bossman641
07-09-2007, 04:29 PM

That's where I just know, you have never played ball at a senior level.

Neither have I.

But I captainedmy high school rugby team. That's pretty physical.

Anyway, I gave that up, but, I did play one final game. A few years later. I got killed on the first tackle of the game. Effectively, that pain took away may ability to play.

That was not the pain I knew as a kid. That was man's pain.

If Hodge hits like he looks he can hit, I would EASILY take 4 and 4 for a few games.

I ran into an enforcer, it utterly ended any of my hopes to play professional Rugby. Had I of ran into Barnett, I may have captained Australia. Yes, I was that good.

No offense Tarlam, because I respect anyone who plays rugby, but this isn't rugby. How often do you see players get knocked out of NFl games? Quarterbacks, occasionally. RB's and WR's, rarely to never. I want Hodge to be a stud just as much as you do, but you act like if he plays he's gonna start crushing everyone and knocking guys out of the game left and right. You say that you would take 4 highlight hits and 4 misses out of 8 attempts. I would hate to see any player not be in position to make the tackle 50% of the time.

I hope Hodge steps up this year. I was thrilled we drafted him last year but he was a huge disappointment to me last year. I'm not giving up on him yet though.

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 04:43 PM
No offense Tarlam, because I respect anyone who plays rugby, but this isn't rugby.()you act like if he plays he's gonna start crushing everyone and knocking guys out of the game left and right. You say that you would take 4 highlight hits and 4 misses out of 8 attempts. I would hate to see any player not be in position to make the tackle 50% of the time.

None taken, and since I never played a down, I do not profess to understand.

I do think he would crush people, because that's in his nature. More so than Barnett. I don't want a "finess" MLB. I want somebody that puts the fear of the Almighty into people.

My point is, everyone has given up on the kid after a rained out game in Seattle. My point is, if this kid has 4 starts to at least learn the game, he'd be btter than Barnett and Poppinga.

Of that I am convinced. For that, I would take into account 4 missed tackles per game.

After he missed 16, that's it. And we own mid field thereafter.

4and12to12and4
07-09-2007, 05:26 PM
Where are you guys getting all these ideas that Hodge can't shed blockers, and that he is out of place on tackles, and that he is no good on special teams. Hodge was given ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE to grow and learn our system last year. I must remind you again that Hawk had his share of blockers he couldn't shed, and didn't exactly light it up th first half of the season. He was i guess steady, but nothing special. Yet, we gave him the benefit of the doubt. This situation reminds me of how guys like Mario Williams and Eli Manning don't do shit their first year and get a free pass because of their name, stature, and selection. Where's Hodge's rookie pass, especially considering he wasn't even given time to develop over the year. Let's get the guy out there and see what he can give us after ample time on the field. Then, we can start making judgement calls on him. Until then, he's just like Aaron Rodgers, we're still comparing him to his scouting report and combine.

You know, MM is a REAL football guy, and I think we will be able to tell if Hodge is going to fit here in GB, and if he thinks he can help this team make big plays on defense, he will be getting more time on the field this year, which I predict he will. This will be a bit of a breakout year for this young man if he stays healthy. IMO.

Carolina_Packer
07-10-2007, 11:21 AM
Wouldn't this take Hawk off the field? I don't think they'll do that. :o[/quote]

Obvious running downs=Barnett OLB, Hodge MLB, Hawk OLB
Obvious passing downs=Poppinga OLB, Barnett MLB, Hawk OLB

Hawk never leaves the game in my rotation, or Poppinga could rotate with him when he needs a blow.

This scenario could occur IF the Packers wanted to utilize Hodge as MLB, since he's not really an OLB; otherwise, he'll have to spell Barnett. I'm saying this scenario would only happen IF Hodge showed so much improvement in year 2 training camp that you had to find a way to get him on the field. Poppinga might be better as a super sub, since he could likely play both OLB positions. Your thoughts?

Tarlam!
07-10-2007, 02:45 PM
I like it, C-P. I like it a lot, especially since the rotation plays to the strengths of all 4 'backers.

IIRC, Barnett was a Sam in colledge, wasn't he?

KYPack
07-10-2007, 04:21 PM
Wouldn't this take Hawk off the field? I don't think they'll do that. :o

Obvious running downs=Barnett OLB, Hodge MLB, Hawk OLB
Obvious passing downs=Poppinga OLB, Barnett MLB, Hawk OLB

Hawk never leaves the game in my rotation, or Poppinga could rotate with him when he needs a blow.

This scenario could occur IF the Packers wanted to utilize Hodge as MLB, since he's not really an OLB; otherwise, he'll have to spell Barnett. I'm saying this scenario would only happen IF Hodge showed so much improvement in year 2 training camp that you had to find a way to get him on the field. Poppinga might be better as a super sub, since he could likely play both OLB positions. Your thoughts?[/quote]

You want Poppinga in there covering in passing situations?

Doesn't seem like a solution to me.

Hodge can plug the run, but he's a long way away from covering the pass. Maybe he'll show some improvement this season. And he didn't play worth shit on ST. Some guys don't, but that doesn't mean he couldn't improve covering the pass. Playing spec teams doesn't mean you are a good LB.

Hell, even Torrance Marshall made a play here and there on ST & he couldn't play a lick at his regular position.

BobDobbs
07-10-2007, 04:24 PM
In obvious passing downs only two linebackers are on the field especially since you are looking at a three or four receiver set. Hawk stays on every play, Nick is in our nickel package. Neither Poppinga nor Hodge are going to play those positions barring injury.

If Barnett is moved to strongside backer he will be stacking up the Tight End, covering the short zone against slot receviers, blitzing that type of thing. This defense really calls for a MLB with speed.

That is Hodges major issue. The NFL is MUCH faster than college. He's short and slow for an NFL player. In time the hope is he will gain film knowledge and use his instinct to gain that extra step. I'll give him time, but not much hope. At least in this system. I love him as a hitter, but he has a long way to go.

the_idle_threat
07-11-2007, 12:05 AM
In obvious passing downs only two linebackers are on the field . . .

Bingo.

How often does the team keep three 'backers on the field in obvious passing situations? Generally this is when they're in nickel or dime defense, in which case one or two 'backers come off the field. At least, that would be my understanding.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2007, 12:09 AM
In the 50%-60% of plays he's on the field, other teams are allowed to pass. Not only that, but with our nickel situation, we may choose to keep 3 LBs in more than most teams again.

the_idle_threat
07-11-2007, 12:41 AM
In the 50%-60% of plays he's on the field, other teams are allowed to pass.

Thanks for clearing that up, Sherlock. :?

What's your point, anyway? We've been talking about "obvious passing situations" which call for substitutions. So you're talking about the not-obvious passing situations when we're in base defense? :doh:

Not only that, but with our nickel situation, we may choose to keep 3 LBs in more than most teams again.

Do you really believe we'll make a habit of keeping in a 3rd LB who has coverage problems---that could be said about Poppinga or Hodge---rather than go to the nickel?

Our 3rd corner probably won't be a world-beater, but he'll most likely be better in coverage than our 3rd-best linebacker.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2007, 01:16 AM
What's your point, anyway? We've been talking about "obvious passing situations" which call for substitutions. So you're talking about the not-obvious passing situations when we're in base defense?

People make it seem like we can go to the nickel or dime, and just like that, his coverage issues aren't a problem. He's still going to be in their on 50-60% of the plays--and teams will exploit him if he doesn't improve.

Do you really believe we'll make a habit of keeping in a 3rd LB who has coverage problems---that could be said about Poppinga or Hodge---rather than go to the nickel?

Our 3rd corner probably won't be a world-beater, but he'll most likely be better in coverage than our 3rd-best linebacker.

Not on 3rd and 10, but there were a lot of articles last year about how the Packers kept 3 LBs in their package more than usual because they liked their LBs, and had weak backup corners/safeties.

Carolina_Packer
07-11-2007, 02:05 PM
Enter Harrell...hopefully the DL will continue to improve and take pressure off the rest of the D behind them.

Here's to Hodge. My boy from the University of Iowa. He was a beast there, and I hope he can figure it all out for my Packers sometime soon.

esoxx
07-11-2007, 07:02 PM
There's plenty of beasts in college who turn out to be pedestrian at the NFL level. Hope Hodge isn't one of them but he's going to have to show something more than he has so far. His foot speed, or lack thereof, and coverage ability will likely always be a hinderance in the Pro game.

4and12to12and4
07-11-2007, 07:13 PM
I still haven't heard any replies to the point I have made twice here that Poppinga and Hawk have also had coverage problems, and Hawk isn't any faster than Hodge is he? So, why aren't we holding them to the same standard? Is the "great white hope" untouchable here?

BobDobbs
07-11-2007, 08:00 PM
Hawk is much faster than Hodge. He's also more fluid and instinctual. He did have coverage problems, but not nearly to the level of Hodge or Barnett. Hawk also made plays in coverage because of his superior athleticism and improved noticeably as the year went on.

I think we are holding them to the same standard. Poppinga got used like a tool by Desmond Clark in the first Bears game. The defense had to be adjusted to hide him. Hodge couldn't get on to the field because his coverage skills were deemed too poor by the coaches. Those two are liabilites. Hawk looks like he's going to turn into a pretty good coverage linebacker. Same standard - different players.

HarveyWallbangers
07-11-2007, 09:53 PM
What Dobbs said. It doesn't take a scout to notice Hawk is faster than Hodge.

esoxx
07-11-2007, 10:15 PM
Hawk also has vastly superior instincts, but I'm probably just being a racist.

Carolina_Packer
07-12-2007, 12:17 PM
Wouldn't the racism tend to trend the other way around for athletes? :wink:

4and12to12and4
07-12-2007, 07:36 PM
Wouldn't the racism tend to trend the other way around for athletes? :wink: :P :P :P :P :P :P :P