PDA

View Full Version : Google is violating breaking their code

Partial
07-03-2007, 02:46 AM
Google is turning evil and must be stopped. I have no desire to have every element of my life controlled by google.

They are up to something with all that inactive fibre and are probably planning to take down the telecommunication industry.

They just bought grand central which combines all your phone numbers and voice mailboxes into one web accessable solution.

Zig, this would seem to be the answer to your query about getting VM onto your comp, but now it has become invite only due to being bought by google.

retailguy
07-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Save the world dude.... One evil empire at a time! :P :wink:

Just remember, YOU helped build them into what they are.....

digitaldean
07-03-2007, 08:00 AM
Google is turning evil and must be stopped. I have no desire to have every element of my life controlled by google.

They are up to something with all that inactive fibre and are probably planning to take down the telecommunication industry.

They just bought grand central which combines all your phone numbers and voice mailboxes into one web accessable solution.

Zig, this would seem to be the answer to your query about getting VM onto your comp, but now it has become invite only due to being bought by google.

I don't know how to take this. Just saw something about this yesterday. I don't know if I'd count them as the evil empire just yet.

They have done quite a bit of fighting vs. the gov't. on access to their search databases.

I do have to give them credit, though. They have knocked around Yahoo over the last few years.

LL2
07-03-2007, 08:26 AM
Google is no more evil than Microsoft. In fact I'm a fan of Google and this comes as no surprise to me. The thing I like about Google is that they become a threat to already existing businesses that control large segments of a market. Google apps is targeting MS, and the Grand Central can become a threat to existing phone companies.

Partial
07-03-2007, 11:54 AM

Adsense helped turn them into what they are today. PR contributes to that.

Partial
07-03-2007, 12:02 PM
Google is no more evil than Microsoft. In fact I'm a fan of Google and this comes as no surprise to me. The thing I like about Google is that they become a threat to already existing businesses that control large segments of a market. Google apps is targeting MS, and the Grand Central can become a threat to existing phone companies.

You are crazy if you think thats all they are up to. They are slowly but surely buying all the fibre optics they can get their hands on. They've been doing this for about 2-3 years now, and back when they originally started people were worried about their intentions.

They are building massive, massive, massive server farms in all parts of the world next to power plants, no other company has server farms even near the size of what they are doing.

I like google too. But, it really is getting out of hand. If you don't think they're slowly but surely monopolizing all the internet services people use you're kidding yourself. This isn't an overnight plan for google, this is something on a world wide scale to avoid anti-trust laws over the next 10-20 years.

I am quite confident that they are going to jump into the cell phone market. They make their money using adsense and they want their search engine on phones.

I think they are doing the right thing fighting for the rights of those who use their search engine. But, I also am smart enough to realize they do these things to build positive PR. Same with their #1 rule of "don't be evil".

Right now, pretty much AT&T controls the way we connect to the internet whether anyone wants to admit it or not. For a company that went bankrupt and got 2 billion from the government, they have come back very strong and showed no remorse towards their customers. I think Google is in the process of changing the internet backbone to their own network, and then probably giving out free broadband(wi-fi) to most of the US.

The catch? The bought all the fibre(bandwidth) for cheap, and are going to require a google search as the main page or something to that effect, so their ad revenue will just keep growing and growing.

Charles Woodson
07-03-2007, 12:36 PM
http://www.mobilegazette.com/google-phone-07x03x20.htm

i was actually looking for a new phone and i stumbled upon this article about google phone

Tyrone Bigguns
07-03-2007, 12:38 PM

You are crazy if you think thats all they are up to. They are slowly but surely buying all the fibre optics they can get their hands on. They've been doing this for about 2-3 years now, and back when they originally started people were worried about their intentions.

They are building massive, massive, massive server farms in all parts of the world next to power plants, no other company has server farms even near the size of what they are doing.

I like google too. But, it really is getting out of hand. If you don't think they're slowly but surely monopolizing all the internet services people use you're kidding yourself. This isn't an overnight plan for google, this is something on a world wide scale to avoid anti-trust laws over the next 10-20 years.

I am quite confident that they are going to jump into the cell phone market. They make their money using adsense and they want their search engine on phones.

I think they are doing the right thing fighting for the rights of those who use their search engine. But, I also am smart enough to realize they do these things to build positive PR. Same with their #1 rule of "don't be evil".

Right now, pretty much AT&T controls the way we connect to the internet whether anyone wants to admit it or not. For a company that went bankrupt and got 2 billion from the government, they have come back very strong and showed no remorse towards their customers. I think Google is in the process of changing the internet backbone to their own network, and then probably giving out free broadband(wi-fi) to most of the US.

The catch? The bought all the fibre(bandwidth) for cheap, and are going to require a google search as the main page or something to that effect, so their ad revenue will just keep growing and growing.

I don't know your market, but AT&T has no control of internet access where I live. They aren't even a fart in the wind.

Jimx29
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM
you could turn off the computer, throw away the your iphone, your cell, gps, blackberry, laptop, etc......

retailguy
07-03-2007, 12:47 PM

Adsense helped turn them into what they are today. PR contributes to that.

OK, well, you've missed my point. See, you use google tools everyday. You used to "tout" the products here and elsewhere, as did I and everyone else.

Now, you perceive they are "evil" and are beginning a "crusade" to stop them. Never fear, the market will protect you. People say that Wal-Mart is "ruining" retail, yet, small and mid-size companies are thriving

Google is, as any other company does, seeking new revenue sources, and new products to bring to market. They might be cornering the market on fibre (which I doubt), but what about wi-fi? Satellite? Undeveloped Technologies?.... The market changes. It could move away from fibre.

Relax. If you're bothered by it, use yahoo. personally, I'd like to see some competition in the telephone market. verizon is run by the devil. at&t is horrible, Qwest is a joke and always has been. Cellular providers are the same....

Competition never hurt anyone - EXCEPT the inefficient. Apple survives in spite of Microsoft, and according to you it FLOURISHES. Yahoo is surviving in the face of competition. Alltel is a beacon in the dark in terms of wireless providers...

Name an industry (that isn't government regulated) where innovative people can't compete?

retailguy
07-03-2007, 12:48 PM
you could turn off the computer, throw away the your iphone, your cell, gps, blackberry, laptop, etc......

Good one! Partial, I suggest taking up FARMING. It'll keep you busy from dusk to dawn and beyond. You could become an "organic farmer" and compete with corporate america!

Charles Woodson
07-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I don't know your market, but AT&T has no control of internet access where I live. They aren't even a fart in the wind.

Tyrone who is your internet provider. Cause At&T owns bellsouth and SBC right?

Charles Woodson
07-03-2007, 01:03 PM

Good one! Partial, I suggest taking up FARMING. It'll keep you busy from dusk to dawn and beyond. You could become an "organic farmer" and compete with corporate america!

pss, thats cyberski, not partial

Tyrone Bigguns
07-03-2007, 01:17 PM
Woodson,

AT&T doesn't own bellsouth or SBC. Those companies are baby bells and have no reporting to AT&T. Remember, Bell was ordered to spin those companies off and then Bell renamed themselves.

Now, I can't honestly say if those companies lease lines or pay for use of At&T data centers..but, i'm highly skeptical.

I live in Phx. The market here is dominated by Qwest, Cox and the now rapid conglomeration of Integra, ELI and MTI.

I know a bit about this subject as I sell hosted VoIP among other things...the hosted VoIP is just a cover for my burgeoning crack empire.

MJZiggy
07-03-2007, 01:24 PM
We have Comcast here, but let's face it. This little part of the world is run by Verizon. They own all the cable and if AT&T customers want repairs, they're gonna have to wait until Verizon has an opening after all their customers are served.

Charles Woodson
07-03-2007, 01:28 PM
Woodson,

AT&T doesn't own bellsouth or SBC. Those companies are baby bells and have no reporting to AT&T. Remember, Bell was ordered to spin those companies off and then Bell renamed themselves.

Now, I can't honestly say if those companies lease lines or pay for use of At&T data centers..but, i'm highly skeptical.

I live in Phx. The market here is dominated by Qwest, Cox and the now rapid conglomeration of Integra, ELI and MTI.

I know a bit about this subject as I sell hosted VoIP among other things...the hosted VoIP is just a cover for my burgeoning crack empire.

Are you sure?

AT&T Buys BellSouth for $67 Billion

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:42 am

AT&T announced an agreement to buy BellSouth for $67 billion. AT&T currently owns 60 percent of Cingular, the No. 1 wireless carrier, while BellSouth owns the remaining 40 percent. As part of the deal, AT&T would assume full control of Cingular.

The merger will streamline the ownership and operations of Cingular Wireless. The new company will be more innovative, nimble and efficient, providing benefits to customers by combining the Cingular, BellSouth and AT&T networks into a single fully integrated wireless and wireline Internet Protocol network offering a full range of advanced solutions.

As a result, the combined company will be better able to speed the convergence of new and improved services for consumers and businesses, and embrace the industry's shift to Internet Protocol network-based technologies.

The long-awaited deal would give the combined company a national long-distance telephone and data network, residential customers stretching from Florida to California and business customers comprising more than half of the Fortune 1000.

AT&T expects the acquisition to save it $2 billion annually, partially from job cuts and combining the two work forces.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/44799.html

mraynrand
07-03-2007, 01:35 PM
The real concern is when Skynet (Google) becomes self-aware. THEN WE'RE IN FOR IT!!

http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/tb_2-lg-4.jpg

Tyrone Bigguns
07-03-2007, 02:03 PM
Woodson,

Are you sure?

AT&T Buys BellSouth for $67 Billion

Mon Mar 06, 2006 9:42 am

AT&T announced an agreement to buy BellSouth for $67 billion. AT&T currently owns 60 percent of Cingular, the No. 1 wireless carrier, while BellSouth owns the remaining 40 percent. As part of the deal, AT&T would assume full control of Cingular.

The merger will streamline the ownership and operations of Cingular Wireless. The new company will be more innovative, nimble and efficient, providing benefits to customers by combining the Cingular, BellSouth and AT&T networks into a single fully integrated wireless and wireline Internet Protocol network offering a full range of advanced solutions.

As a result, the combined company will be better able to speed the convergence of new and improved services for consumers and businesses, and embrace the industry's shift to Internet Protocol network-based technologies.

The long-awaited deal would give the combined company a national long-distance telephone and data network, residential customers stretching from Florida to California and business customers comprising more than half of the Fortune 1000.

AT&T expects the acquisition to save it $2 billion annually, partially from job cuts and combining the two work forces.

http://www.mobiledia.com/news/44799.html

No, i wasn't aware of that, but it futher illustrates my point. They are buying companies like Bellsouth because they don't have control of broadband.

Either way, AT&T doesn't dominate the broadband market, at least as far as I know. Cable companies certainly appear to dominate for residential, and as for business...there are many players...a T1 is a T1, it doesn't really matter if it is from Cox or Qwest. As for a narrower pipe like DSL, that is definitely a market that Qwest tries to exploit, but DSL is pretty flaky. I can't tell you how many times we have problems because a moron tech from qwest effs up a circuit. DSL is a nitemare in a new construction area.

Don't forget that wireless internet is out there (no, i don't mean directtv's bs) and will only be growing. Check out companies like Gigabeam.

We are in the process of signing a deal with a wireless provider.

retailguy
07-03-2007, 02:12 PM

pss, thats cyberski, not partial

Shhh!.... Yes, I know. I just expanded on Cyberski's "solution" and suggested farming. An organic farmer would be PROUD, I'd say! Support the CAUSE!!!! and, oh, by the way, LOWER THE DAMN COST OF TUITION! Cripes! I'm going broke. :P

MadtownPacker
07-03-2007, 02:26 PM

Adsense helped turn them into what they are today. PR contributes to that.Keep your beef with Google cuz I can assure you that you don't want to fuck with PR.

Partial
07-03-2007, 06:00 PM

Then you should really get your facts straight because AT&T is behind just about every provider in the world. That road runner connection your using is going through AT&T at some point.

I am curious as to what you do for a profession that makes you so qualified to tell everyone that they are wrong. Because I think you're as closed minded as anyone around here, and read a lot of headlines of newspaper articles without actually reading the meet of the story.

GBRulz
07-03-2007, 06:48 PM
We have Comcast here, but let's face it. This little part of the world is run by Verizon. They own all the cable and if AT&T customers want repairs, they're gonna have to wait until Verizon has an opening after all their customers are served.

I have never heard of AT&T acting as a CLEC on Verizon's network. That must be an east coast thing. I worked for AT&T, formerly SBC, for a few years and AT&T and Verizon never competed against each other in the same market. But like I said, that was just here in the midwest. I understand your point though as many CLEC's who depend on the incumbent carrier for the "last mile", is a nightmare when outages happen. Of course the ones who suffer are the CLEC's customers. The FCC should be kicked in the ass for not throwing out hefty fines for the bells for that crap.

Wisconsin is pretty much half AT&T and half Verizon and in several AT&T markets, you have 3-4 other CLEC's, which is awesome for those of us who live here as competition has def forced AT&T to lower their rates. For whatever reason, Verizon is not opening their networks to competition, not exactly sure why. I'm sure cost is a factor.

Partial
07-03-2007, 09:53 PM
erizon is not opening their networks to competition, not exactly sure why. I'm sure cost is a factor.

I believe the two companies are in cahoots. It is certainly in their best interests to be as such.

Partial
07-03-2007, 09:54 PM

Adsense helped turn them into what they are today. PR contributes to that.Keep your beef with Google cuz I can assure you that you don't want to fuck with PR.

You are one uptight punta, MTP. Christ, all I was implying with that statement it is it not only the users of google's search but it is the ad-revenue they provide and the fact it is on just about every commercial site(not big business, though) that isn't x-rated.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-05-2007, 12:42 AM

Then you should really get your facts straight because AT&T is behind just about every provider in the world. That road runner connection your using is going through AT&T at some point.

I am curious as to what you do for a profession that makes you so qualified to tell everyone that they are wrong. Because I think you're as closed minded as anyone around here, and read a lot of headlines of newspaper articles without actually reading the meet of the story.

First, dipshit, I was referring to last mile. Although it is important to make sure the Internet backbones aren't owned by a single company, what I am more concerned about is who owns the lines connecting homes and businesses. That is where they can exert monopolistic control, and that is therefore where they'll put in their filtering. Who cares what backbone is used? All that matters now is whose local loop is used.

Second, time to put up or shut up.

http://advice.cio.com/themes/CIO.com/cache/Internet_map_labels_0.pdf

I would hardly classify AT&T as behind every carrier. But, i'm sure you will find a way to sputter, stammer, and backtrack.

What I do for a living: Well, my little college friend, I have worked in tech for over 15 years. Come back when you've actually had a real job. I've worked with DARPA, was on the web before it was the web (using mosaic as the browser), was ftping, gophering and telneting back when your mommy was wiping your ass, was handwriting sites using VI editor, was working on computers back when you had to beg your boss for 4 megs of memory costing over 200 beans, have worked (for companies) using pcs, NeXT, sun spark stations, etc., worked as a consultant on CRM software (psoft and siebel being my forte) for a couple of companies you might have heard of: Disney, Siemens Westinghouse, BCBS, Harcourt Brace, etc., and now work for a software company in sales/marketing.

But, all that pales when compared to your accomplishments. Remind me again what they were?

Tarlam!
07-05-2007, 06:42 AM
@ Tyrone Bigguns:

Impressive, if unconventional, resumé. We need to talk about your future....

Tyrone Bigguns
07-05-2007, 12:17 PM
@ Tyrone Bigguns:

Impressive, if unconventional, resumé. We need to talk about your future....

I don't know if it is impressive. One could certainly make the argument that I can't figure out what i want to do when i grow up.

I'm not to worried about the future...just bought the winning lotto ticket. :roll:

LL2
07-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Hey Partial, Google is at it again. Buying more companies and building their worldwide dominance. Fear the evil empire!

http://money.cnn.com/2007/07/09/technology/google_postini/index.htm?section=money_topstories

Little Whiskey
07-10-2007, 05:34 PM

can we list all the evil empires and then list all the good ones. i'd like make sure i'm on the right side.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2007, 06:07 PM

can we list all the evil empires and then list all the good ones. i'd like make sure i'm on the right side.

I'll start:

Packers = Good
Bears = Evil

SkinBasket
07-10-2007, 08:57 PM
What's all this shit about AT&T? It was less than a year ago that the actual company went belly up and SBC bought the rights to the name. So if you want to demonize anyone, demonize the company formerly known as SBC who is now hiding behind the AT&T name.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-11-2007, 12:35 PM
What's all this shit about AT&T? It was less than a year ago that the actual company went belly up and SBC bought the rights to the name. So if you want to demonize anyone, demonize the company formerly known as SBC who is now hiding behind the AT&T name.

the intiator of this thread has become mysteriously absent. Could be that when confronted by reality his arguments hold little merit.

Partial
07-28-2007, 01:07 AM
See the response in the Garbage Can, Tyrone. I won't debate with you anymore because there isn't any point. You always think you are right and I always think I am right.

As for Skin's statement, How is SBC any different than AT&T? AT&T started out as SBC in the 80s. All those companies branch down and are still affiliated with what once was the monopoly known as AT&T.

SkinBasket
07-29-2007, 07:51 AM
As for Skin's statement, How is SBC any different than AT&T? AT&T started out as SBC in the 80s. All those companies branch down and are still affiliated with what once was the monopoly known as AT&T.

So everyone's evil except for Apple, right?

Partial
07-29-2007, 08:05 AM

No. Google isn't evil yet but they are on their way to becoming a monopoly and their intentions worry me and should worry you. Other than GMail I am pretty much done with Google now. Gmail is too good to give up.

I don't really like the iPhone. I think just think Tyrone is dead wrong about just about everything in life and likes to contradict every point I have just for the heck of it. I don't have own a single mac product currently. Haven't had a functioning one for about six months. And haven't had a computer from them that I regularly used since October.

SkinBasket
07-29-2007, 08:39 AM

No. Google isn't evil yet but they are on their way to becoming a monopoly and their intentions worry me and should worry you. Other than GMail I am pretty much done with Google now. Gmail is too good to give up.

What should I be worried about again? That Google is going to take over the internet, then the government, then the world?

Sorry Susie, I've got bigger worries in my world, like should I take a dump now, or in 20 minutes?

retailguy
07-29-2007, 05:16 PM
Google is doing what every other public company does. It trys new ways to make money. It OWES that to its shareholders. That is it's purpose.

What law are they violating?

Tyrone Bigguns
07-30-2007, 12:17 PM
See the response in the Garbage Can, Tyrone. I won't debate with you anymore because there isn't any point. You always think you are right and I always think I am right.

Nice dodge and evade. However, your comment about AT&T behind everyone's internet is patently false.

Little Whiskey
07-31-2007, 09:24 AM
Sorry Susie, I've got bigger worries in my world, like should I take a dump now, or in 20 minutes?

thats not much of a choice. better dump now since later might lead to underware soup!