PDA

View Full Version : Behind Enemy Lines: Packers

Rastak
07-03-2007, 06:29 AM
Behind Enemy Lines: Packers

The Bears are heavily favored to win their third consecutive NFC North title this season, but could one of their division rivals prove up to the challenge? Packers expert Todd Korth drops by BearReport.com to detail everything that has happened in Green Bay this offseason. Will Aaron Rodgers ever play? Who can replace Ahman Green? How does Justin Harrell look so far? Find out the answers inside.

John Crist: I'm not going to ask if this is Brett Favre's last season because I've grown tired from asking it five years in a row. But along the quarterback front, is Aaron Rodgers the next starting QB in Green Bay and could it be as early as 2008?
Todd Korth: Rodgers might be the starter later this season if the Packers are not headed for the playoffs. Favre is expected to break some major NFL records, like total touchdowns and most victories by a quarterback early in the season. If the Packers struggle this season and are out of the playoff picture, it is very possible that coach Mike McCarthy will insert Rodgers as the starter to help the team prepare for the 2008 season. If Favre and the Packers offense comes to life and they make the playoffs, it all depends if the future Hall-of-Famer chooses to return to play another season in 2008.

One thing is for sure – Rodgers is the next starting quarterback for the Packers. He is ready and anxious to lead the team. It may happen as soon as this season, but most likely next season.

JC: Review Green Bay's offseason for us. Who was brought in, who was shipped out, and who might be missed?

TK: The Packers had a very quiet offseason to the dismay of many fans. Their big free agent pickup was (drum roll, please) Frank Walker. Who? That's right, Walker, who was buried on the New York Giants depth chart last year and will serve as Green Bay's nickel or dime defensive back this season.

The Packers allowed Ahman Green to go to Houston and did the same with injury-prone tight end David Martin, who signed with Miami. Many fans were hoping the Packers would make a trade with Oakland for Randy Moss, but New England edged them out for the disgruntled wide receiver on Day 2 of the NFL Draft.

JC: Green was solid if not spectacular last season, but he was signed away – and probably overpaid – by the Texans. Is Vernand Morency capable of being the featured runner and carrying the ball 20-25 times a game, or should we expect to see Brandon Jackson starting in the backfield at some point this year?

TK: Houston did overpay Green, and Packers general manager Ted Thompson wisely did not get caught up in a bidding war. Green has one or two more seasons in him at best.

Morency will be the starter in the team's offense when the season begins, but the Packers selected Jackson in the second round and aren't about to keep him on the sideline. Jackson, who has better quickness and burst than Morency, will get some carries. If he does well, he may wind up replacing Morency as the starter later in the season. Morency, however, is up for the challenge, realizes his opportunity is now, and is ready to make the most of it.

Jonathan Ferrey/Getty Images
JC: Defensive tackle Justin Harrell was not the most popular first-round pick because the prevailing sentiment was that Favre needed more weapons. What have you seen out of Harrell so far, and who else from the draft class aside from Harrell and Jackson could make an impact right away?

TK: Harrell did not participate in any team drills during the offseason mini camps and Organized Team Activities practices due to a biceps injury that he sustained while at Tennessee last year. The medical staff wants to be extra cautious. He is expected to practice in team drills in training camp, but we'll see a lot more from him as he battles veteran Corey Williams for the right to start. The Packers feel Harrell can be a disruptive force on the line, much like the Bears' Tommie Harris.

Other draft picks that will have a chance to contribute immediately for Green Bay include wide receiver James Jones (third round), safety Aaron Rouse (third round), and possibly kicker Mason Crosby (sixth round).

JC: The Bears have won back-to-back NFC North titles and done so fairly easily, but a lot of experts feel that Green Bay is the team that could challenge them for the division. Can the Packers be a playoff team again, and what below-the-radar factor will be key to their success or failure?

TK: I am predicting that the Packers sneak into the NFC playoffs for the first time since 2004.

The Packers defense improved throughout the season last year and is expected to be the strength of the team this year. The offense lacks playmakers, and younger skill-position players like running backs Morency and Jackson, wide receivers Jones and Greg Jennings, and tight end Donald Lee will have to make an immediate impact for the Packers to earn a playoff berth. Behind an offensive line that improved throughout last season, the Packers should be able to score more points and win enough games to qualify for the postseason.

BallHawk
07-03-2007, 11:07 AM
I would add Barbe to a guy that could possibly contribute immedietly. He needs some tuning, but he could be like Spitz was last year.

wist43
07-03-2007, 11:55 AM
If the Vikings had a QB, they'd definitely be viewed as the #2 team in the division. Jackson may develop, but it's going to take him time - perhaps too much time. He's incredibly raw.

As it is, Minnesota looks like the 3rd team in a 3 team race for 2nd. Minnesota has more talent than both DET and GB IMO, but there's no way to hide from the fact that they have no QB.

BananaMan
07-03-2007, 11:59 AM
The Vikings have terrible WRs and TEs, also.

Rastak
07-03-2007, 12:25 PM
The Vikings have terrible WRs and TEs, also.

Banana, long time no see.

WR's are kinda unknown. I think Rice and Allison could be good but it takes time for them to develop also. I don't think the Vikings TE's are much worse than GB's at this point.....the new guy (can't spell it) is pretty fast....can he catch though?

MJZiggy
07-03-2007, 01:27 PM
Hi Nanaman, nice to see you out of hiding.

woodbuck27
07-03-2007, 02:29 PM
Very realistically

I see the Bears winning the NFCN but they don't have the horses to go all the way.They need that golden charm or a solid QB and the young man in place there (Gross man) isn't going to win a ring.

Could they take us both games?

If Brett Favre starts an entire 16 game schedule, and I'm predicting that streak is in real jeopardy, with a mighty weight on his aging arm and shoulders and on top of that. A threat of failed blocking assignments by an inexperienced backfield and a still young and inexperienced OL.

I predict a split bet. the Bears and Packers. Brett Favre plays well in the Bears home field.

Who will be in scond place in the NFCN? I'm not sure.

I see a split bet. us and the Lions, and because of huge doubts for the Vikings at QB we should realistically win both games from them.

So it will be a good scrap for second in our division. The edge goes to the Packers and neither the Packers, Lions or Vikings will go over .500 on the season.

Also neither of these three teams will be in the playoffs.

It's set up for us to face disappointment. It's set up for Brett Favre to say goodbye after this season or sometime during it.

For those of you who are wondering why TT was so layed off in this off season regarding our need of experienced help on offense. Why he hasn't gone after the insurance we need at RB. Why he blundered in not offering a third for Randy Moss?

Please !!. That was never a part of the main agenda.

It's over the top too obvious that all arguements aside.

That TT was into the youth movement and that he really does believe he has the talent in place at TE and RB. . . to as he stated. . . '' he wanted to win now '' the facts we are presented with go a long way to not succeeding.

Ted Thompson has done nothing to support another season in Green Bay with Brett Favre. If he had gone after Randy Moss or goes after Larry Johnson then I'll gladly eat crow.

That Packer fans. . . will not happen.