PDA

View Full Version : O.J. gets owned - this is good

Kiwon
07-03-2007, 06:44 PM
O.J. was a hero of mine. I remember the moment he went over 2,000 yards in a 14-game season (1973). I traveled to watch him play. I liked his commercials and movie roles. I liked him on MNF. Everybody liked "The Juice."

That's why his connection to a double homicide was hard to believe for people. But the evidence came in, his personal issues were exposed and it was obvious that he was guilty of murder. Only the L.A. jury didn't think so once his defense team played the race card and put the L.A. Police Department on trial.

A California civil court had a different opinion, however, and O.J. was found liable for the deaths of Nicole Simpson and Ron Goldman. He was ordered to pay their estates $33.5 million back in 1997. California state law protects pensions and Florida state law protects homes in debt collections and O.J. has mocked this judgment for 10 years.

But, oh, how things have changed..... The Goldman family now owns everything O.J., including his likeness. This is a crippling blow for a man of his monumental ego. Read on....

.................................................. .......................................
Goldman family buys rights to O.J. book

By Kelli Kennedy, Associated Press Writer

MIAMI — The family of Ron Goldman has purchased the rights to O.J. Simpson's canceled book, If I Did It, from a court-appointed bankruptcy trustee in a settlement reached Monday. The book rights will be held in the name of Ron Goldman LLC, Goldman family attorney David Cook said.

Goldman was slain along with Simpson's ex-wife, Nicole Brown Simpson, in 1994. The former football star has maintained his innocence. He was acquitted of murder, but Goldman's family won a civil wrongful death case against him now totaling more than $33 million.

"Ron Goldman LLC will own Simpson's name, likeness, signature and story and will hawk it to satisfy this terrible judgment. Justice has arrived in Miami," Cook said.

The Goldmans own the copyright, media rights and movie rights. They also acquired Simpson's name, likeness, life story and right of publicity in connection with the book, according to court documents.

The Goldmans want to rename the book Confessions of a Double Murderer and plan to shop it around, Cook said.

According to the settlement, the Goldmans must pay the bankruptcy trustee 10% of the first $4 million in gross proceeds and a percentage of all proceeds beyond that.

Simpson's lawyer, Yale L. Galanter, said the bankruptcy trustee doesn't have the right to sell anything on behalf of his client.

Last month, U.S. Bankruptcy Judge A. Jay Cristol paved the way for Monday's settlement by upholding the Goldmans' right to their claim. He also ruled that a company started by Simpson's daughter, Arnelle, was set up "to perpetuate fraud."

Lorraine Brooke Associates, which owned the rights to the book, can be considered as belonging to the former football star, Cristol said.

O.J. Simpson's book contract with HarperCollins, and a money trail showing $630,000 transferred from the publisher to Lorraine Brooke and then to Simpson for his expenses, confirm his connection to the company, Cristol said.

Telephone or e-mail messages left for Kendrick Whittle, the attorney for Simpson's daughter, and independent trustee, Drew Dillworth, were not immediately returned Monday night.

BallHawk
07-03-2007, 07:28 PM
Couldn't happen to a bigger prick.....

Tarlam!
07-04-2007, 02:24 PM

So he slew his wife and her lover, so what!?!

OK, I don't really mean that. But his crim inal trial did say he was NOT GUILTY.

Charles Woodson
07-04-2007, 02:27 PM

So he slew his wife and her lover, so what!?!

OK, I don't really mean that. But his crim inal trial did say he was NOT GUILTY.

Yet, he was going to right a book, supposeivly, about how he would have killed his wife... Now your going to tell me that, thats not a prick?

Tarlam!
07-04-2007, 02:33 PM
Yet, he was going to right a book, supposeivly, about how he would have killed his wife... Now your going to tell me that, thats not a prick?

He was? I never knew that.

Still, I think you have a functional legal system, it is argued. If you disagree, you need to change it.

My point is, he was acquitted. But his "freedom" is costing him 34 plus million. Kinda doesn't make sense is all.

mraynrand
07-05-2007, 08:54 AM
Do you think OJ has finished searching the golf courses of America for the 'real' killer?