PDA

View Full Version : What free agents should Thompson have taken?

RashanGary
07-03-2007, 09:18 PM
RG, Bretsky, et al.

Those who know. . . Who should we have signed. Let's not get into a situation where whoever turns out we should have grabbed. Lets take names now and see the percentage of them that perform. This might be more fun for those of us who prefer accountablity.

List of guys Thompson should have gotten:

Deon Grant
Justin Griffin
Eric Johnson
Ahman Green
Roderick Hood
Daniel Grahm
Ken Hamlin

RashanGary
07-03-2007, 09:20 PM
. . .

Charles Woodson
07-03-2007, 10:55 PM
. . .

So because someone doesnt responed in 2 minutes you have to put damn ....?

Justin Griffith was a big one that i wish we would have got

One of the safteys just for reassurance

One of the TEs.

i would look up the names but frankly im too tired

Also pittstang reminded me, i really wanted Rodrick hood

Bretsky
07-03-2007, 11:12 PM
Off top of my head, I'll throw out two I wanted from the start.

Deon Grant
Justin Griffith

pittstang5
07-04-2007, 12:09 AM
These are the guys that I would have liked to have seen in Green Bay.

Resign Green
Sign Eric Johnson for losing David Martin
Roderick Hood
Justin Griffith

Tony Oday
07-04-2007, 05:05 AM
There wasnt one free agent out there this year that I really liked. You know the guy that you just think man he will make the team so much better.

Fred's Slacks
07-04-2007, 08:15 AM
I'd have like to have seen:

Justin Griffith
Daniel Graham

Not that I think they'd have a big impact but I think they would have been solid additions at positions that we don't have anyone(even prospects).

RashanGary
07-04-2007, 08:33 AM
Sheesh, that's a pretty cruddy lookiing group. I forgot how bad this free agent class was.

Bretsky
07-04-2007, 08:42 AM
Sheesh, that's a pretty cruddy lookiing group. I forgot how bad this free agent class was.

Yes it was, hands down. But in the days our rising cap, it's easier for teams to keep their own and it could be this way year after year. I'm not sure the anti free agency guys will like the menu for a few years.

Two years ago was the year to make the major major splash because there was good talent to be found that year. We did alright with Pickett and Woodsen though; it would have also been nice to land a safety like Hope that year.

I'd have certainly also persued a TE; Eric Johnson, Dan Graham would have fit that bill.

Ahman Green wanted to stay here; I'd like to have seen TT make that deal work before free agency started. IMO that could have been done for a much lesser price than he received from the Texans.

Still draft Jackson. Then I'd feel really good about our RB's.

Packnut
07-04-2007, 09:22 AM
I'm on record here as wanting Johnson, Griffith and Hamlin. I think it's a good question, but you also have to take into effect the price tag and length of commitment to each player. Therefore saying you want the top 3 without the financial ramifications really is'nt fair.

My 3 picks combine talent and financial responsibility and all 3 would be a serious upgrade over Manuel, the TE group and the FB group.

Johnson was 1 year at 2 mill while Griffith was a 3 yr deal. I don't recall Hamlin's contract, but I know it was pretty cheap. I also don't believe any of them got a huge signing bonus.

I will be watching these 3 very closely this season in order to gauge how my GM skills would have faired in this FA market.

wist43
07-04-2007, 10:53 AM
Ahman Green first and foremost... also Griffith. Graham or Johnson would have been nice, but somebody threw a ton of money at Graham (Denver I think).

Nobody else out there that would have been worth the money... with Green gone though, I would have made a hard run at Turner.

Fred's Slacks
07-04-2007, 11:11 AM
Ahman Green first and foremost... also Griffith. Graham or Johnson would have been nice, but somebody threw a ton of money at Graham (Denver I think).

Nobody else out there that would have been worth the money... with Green gone though, I would have made a hard run at Turner.

Yeah, your right. At that price I wouldn't want Graham either. I guess I change my vote to Griffith and Johnson. My only problem with the safeties is that we have a good group of young guys there. I'd probably bank that one of them will step up and take the starting role. Could be wrong, but with Manual, Underwood, Bigby, Culver, Peprah and now Rouse I think we just have to let the cream rise.

GBRulz
07-04-2007, 11:26 AM
I agree that the FA pool was limited, but even if there were big names on the list, I doubt TT would have signed any of them anyhow.

I could have handled the Ahman Green situation better IF he had a backup plan to replace him with. But to let the guy go without bringing in someone with some kind of veteran experience ticked me off. Adding more questions to the starting roster is not what I had hoped to see for this season.

On that note, I hope Green has a pro-bowl year.

Patler
07-04-2007, 11:30 AM
Ahman Green wanted to stay here; I'd like to have seen TT make that deal work before free agency started. IMO that could have been done for a much lesser price than he received from the Texans.

Just curious, what makes you think that?

My impression is just the opposite. Green has been paid well, but has always been a bit underpaid compared to what the biggest running back packages were. He never complained, but insisted he would eventually get his share. He signed the one year deal to prove he could still play and have the opportunity for a big contract.

I think he knows this was his last opportunity, and wanted to max out on it. From what I remember there wasn't a huge difference between what the two teams offered overall, it was just the guaranteed portion from the Texans was more, even though the overall packages weren't that different. That tells me he wanted to max out, because he would be financially set for life either way. I don't think he was ever willing to give the Packers a home team discount in this, his last big chance.

Packnut
07-04-2007, 11:54 AM
I love Green but I agree with Teddy's stance on this one. :shock:

Sadly, it was time to move on. You need your #1 rb in the game in the 4th quarter in key offensive plays and not gasping for air on the sidelines.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-04-2007, 12:00 PM
Green
Griffin
Moss (I know he would have had to be traded for, but he was still someone I really wanted).

RashanGary
07-04-2007, 01:06 PM
Yeah, this was a worse than usual free agency. It was becusae of the big increase in cap space that no casualties hit the market.

I think next year will probably be a pretty weak one too, but after that it should start to take off with teams having a couple years to dig a hole.

That is when our team should be at its best. Right when teams dig the hole and our team is not in one at all we'll be able to take advantage of the market and we'll have our rise. I think we can be good now, but I think the real benefits are going to be felt for many years, not just one.

Thompson has shown that with a decent group of FA's on the market that he's willing to grab a couple up. For the money, I think we got the best two FA's last year. Some guys might have been a little better but Woodson and Pickett were good and wern't over the top with their price. Shows that Thompson is even able to get value on the FA market. That is hard to do. It's impossible to do when the whole class sucks like this year, but I think he's more than willing to add a guy to the mix if the ups outnumber the downs. I just think it's a bad idea to sign a guy if you have to let another one go who is better a year or two down the road or you don't have the money to sign the really good one that might pop up the next off season. I don't know, I think a roster is a balancing act and Thompson seems to have done a pretty good job, all things considered.

Bretsky
07-04-2007, 01:09 PM

My impression is just the opposite. Green has been paid well, but has always been a bit underpaid compared to what the biggest running back packages were. He never complained, but insisted he would eventually get his share. He signed the one year deal to prove he could still play and have the opportunity for a big contract.

I think he knows this was his last opportunity, and wanted to max out on it. From what I remember there wasn't a huge difference between what the two teams offered overall, it was just the guaranteed portion from the Texans was more, even though the overall packages weren't that different. That tells me he wanted to max out, because he would be financially set for life either way. I don't think he was ever willing to give the Packers a home team discount in this, his last big chance.

Much of my views comes mostly from the media around that time. We heard continuously Ahman Green wanted to stay in Green Bay. I believe there were articles written that stated that, and also stated Ahman Green wanted in the 5 Mil per year range on a deal, and Green Bay did not want to go that high. I truly believe if TT could have made the deal work to completely avoid the Free Agency fiasco.

But he was holding firm as was Ahman, and then the Texans blew everything out of the water with their expensive deal. And if the rumors are right, TT increased his offer to try to keep him here after free agency started.

I just feel something could have been worked out for both sides so the dirty Texans would have never entered the picture.

Zool
07-04-2007, 01:34 PM

Much of my views comes mostly from the media around that time. We heard continuously Ahman Green wanted to stay in Green Bay. I believe there were articles written that stated that, and also stated Ahman Green wanted in the 5 Mil per year range on a deal, and Green Bay did not want to go that high. I truly believe if TT could have made the deal work to completely avoid the Free Agency fiasco.

But he was holding firm as was Ahman, and then the Texans blew everything out of the water with their expensive deal. And if the rumors are right, TT increased his offer to try to keep him here after free agency started.

I just feel something could have been worked out for both sides so the dirty Texans would have never entered the picture.Couldnt find the article, but Green was offerred $4mil per and 2 less years to stay in GB. I can't blame him for turning down $5mil per for 4 years. I would do the same, but no other team in the league is going to give Green that contract. It will be the right thing to do in the long run, maybe not for this season neccessarily but beyond.

Tarlam!
07-04-2007, 01:59 PM
(...)I can't blame him for turning down $5mil per for 4 years. (...)It will be the right thing to do in the long run, maybe not for this season neccessarily but beyond.

He may only see one year of that contract before he is cut...

red
07-04-2007, 07:01 PM
green for sure, if your going to let a damn good RB gop then you better have some kind of plan for replacing him, we had nothing and did next to nothing IMO

the big one for me was griffin. we had a major need at that position, he was a pretty good guy at that position, and was perfect fit for what we ran. he signed for very modest money, there is no reason why we couldn't have signed him

and i still think we should have

Lurker64
02-24-2009, 12:41 PM
Not to play thread necromancer, but the Raiders just cut (http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/raiders/archives/019973.html) Justin Griffith.

Anybody still want him? He'll be available.

Fritz
02-24-2009, 01:14 PM
In retrospect, that was a ho-hum bunch, wasn't it?

Anybody still interested in Ahman Green?

I love hindsight. No wonder God thinks h/she is so smart.

taylor 31
02-24-2009, 01:46 PM
So will Green

sheepshead
02-24-2009, 03:40 PM
[quote="Fritz"]In retrospect, that was a ho-hum bunch, wasn't it?

ho-hum might be too enthusiastic.

cpk1994
02-24-2009, 03:43 PM
Just more proof that TT is indeed smarter than all of us posters here at PR. :lol:

BallHawk
02-24-2009, 03:59 PM
Griffith can't even be on the list.

TT contacted Griffith's agent about a possible meeting and the agent told TT Griffith did not want to be a Packer. And that was it.

TT did what he could.

Lurker64
02-24-2009, 04:10 PM
I just thought this was important to bump this thread, not only because Griffith is now available and a lot of folks (myself included) would have liked him to be William Henderson's replacement, but because Friday is the start of Free Agency.

So we didn't sign Eric Johnson, Justin Griffith, or Ahman Green. Things still turned out okay and you can count the pro-bowls for those three in the last couple seasons on the fingers of one head.

So let's keep that in mind in case anybody wants to get het up about FA.

Bretsky
02-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Pretty tough to get up for FA when you are a Packer fan

Washington reportedly is interested in Chris Canty; he's an up and comer who IMO would fit in well.

My expectations are pretty minimal

Lurker64
02-24-2009, 05:43 PM

Washington reportedly is interested in Chris Canty; he's an up and comer who IMO would fit in well.

If the reports are accurate and Washington is going to give Haynesworth $100,000,000, how on earth are they going to afford anybody else, ever?

I'd rather have Olshansky than Canty anyway.

MJZiggy
02-24-2009, 06:18 PM
I wonder which owner's gonna be arguing against a cap in 2010..?

hoosier
02-24-2009, 07:14 PM

If the reports are accurate and Washington is going to give Haynesworth $100,000,000, how on earth are they going to afford anybody else, ever?

I'd rather have Olshansky than Canty anyway.

Igor is reputed to be a lazy bum. That's why SD isn't making any effort to retain him. My gut tells me something must be wrong with Canty too, or else not interested in coming to GB. Or maybe the Packers just think they already have their three starting DL on the roster. (That seems the least likely of all.)

SnakeLH2006
02-24-2009, 11:21 PM
Wow...I was reading this thread and Snake almost Rat-gasmed seeing JH posting again. Is he still MIA? LOL. I loved Green and wasn't mad when it happened, but sure wanted to push for Turner. That turned out well for ATL.