PDA

View Full Version : PS3

Freak Out
07-06-2007, 11:26 AM
I've been hearing that the top end PS3 will get a price drop next week down to $499 and that includes 5 Blu-ray movies. I've been wanting a Blu-ray player so I might just grab one if the rumors are true. Anyone else hearing this?

Tarlam!
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
What, prey, is a Blue-Ray thingy?

Zool
07-06-2007, 11:40 AM
What, prey, is a Blue-Ray thingy?Its sort of like HD-DVD but Sony's version. Think VHS and Beta.

Tarlam!
07-06-2007, 11:46 AM
What, prey, is a Blue-Ray thingy?Its sort of like HD-DVD but Sony's version. Think VHS and Beta.

Thanks Zool, I now am much wiser.....

Scott Campbell
07-06-2007, 11:46 AM

I've heard whispers and legends of another new technology. What in the world is a fax machine thingy?

:D

Tarlam!
07-06-2007, 11:55 AM
What in the world is a fax machine thingy?

Oh, I have one on oder and I can't wait to get it. I had to save for nearly 10 years to get it.

Freak Out
07-06-2007, 12:01 PM

I've heard whispers and legends of another new technology. What in the world is a fax machine thingy?

Are you talking about the Xerox?

Charles Woodson
07-06-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.joystiq.com/2007/07/06/target-store-sells-ps3-at-499/

Charles Woodson
07-06-2007, 09:49 PM
DP

Freak Out
04-15-2008, 12:39 PM
http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=11487

GBRulz
04-15-2008, 12:47 PM
Target is one of the best places to watch for specials. I bought a PS3 about 3 months ago and got a $50 Target gift card. Also bought Rock Band on sale for $139. Bought some game and got another $10 gift card.

I had to exchange the original PS3 console I bought because it wasn't reading discs correctly. Upon the exchange they gave me another $50 gift card. I said "well, I already received one with my original purchase" and the lady told me that the original gift card would be voided. Little did she know that i already spent it, lol.

BallHawk
04-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Bought a PS3 yesterday when my Xbox broke. Pretty sweet-looking system.

Freak Out
04-15-2008, 01:44 PM

The next time Costco has them in stock I'm buying. I need a Blu-ray and some of the games in the pipe look very nice.

GBRulz
04-15-2008, 04:45 PM

did you thank your Dad? :lol:

red
04-15-2008, 04:53 PM

why didn't you just get you xbox fixed?

is it a 360?

my 360 took a shit a few months ago. i couldn't find the recipt so i figured i was screwed. i called microsoft and told them what happened and gave them the error code that the unit was showing me

they told me to send it in and they would fix it. all free of charge

turns out they couldn't fix it. so they sent me a brand new unit. i didn't pay a cent, plus they gave me a free month of xbox live gold for my troubles

turns out they know they have problems so they extended the factory warranty to 3 years.

sure i was pissed it broke and i didn't have it for a couple weeks. but the customer service is top notch IMO

twoseven
04-15-2008, 05:08 PM
I've been hearing that the top end PS3 will get a price drop next week down to $499 and that includes 5 Blu-ray movies. I've been wanting a Blu-ray player so I might just grab one if the rumors are true. Anyone else hearing this?
Great. More temptation. Thanks. :x

The only thing keeping me from pouncing on one of these systems is the fact that they still haven't come out with a decent game for the thing that is not also on the 360. Eventually, right?

Used to be each system was very exclusive with its rights to one game or another, wonder what has changed..is there a know-it-all in the house?

BallHawk
04-15-2008, 05:15 PM
If by know-it-all you mean nerd, we have a few, myself included.

BallHawk
04-15-2008, 05:17 PM

did you thank your Dad? :lol:

Nah, I thanked Santa Claus. He just forgot to give me my present in December.

All is well.

BallHawk
04-15-2008, 05:21 PM

I had the same problem that you had Red, The Red Rings of Death. Since this happens to about 33% of 360s bought before a certain day (I camped out for mine when it came out so I'm pretty lucky it's lasted this long) Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years from the date of purchase, basically including everybody.

I'm sending mine back now, but I'm going to be without it for about 4 weeks and I figured that I'm going to buy a PS3 eventually, I might as well buy when my other main console is broken.

MLB 08: The Show is a great game on the PS3. It's like the good old days of MVP Baseball from EA.

Can't wait till MGS4.

Partial
04-15-2008, 05:26 PM
You can't go 4 weeks without a video game console? Shoot, I wish I could play mine more than once every 4 weeks. I am still on an old Madden for regular Xbox.

BallHawk
Used to be each system was very exclusive with its rights to one game or another, wonder what has changed..is there a know-it-all in the house?

The simple answer is that companies know that they can make more money selling on multiple consoles. Sony is really messing up. They've lost Final Fantasy and GTA, two of their biggest franchises. Meanwhile, Microsoft is keeping Gears of War on the Xbox and they managed to keep Halo on the 360 for its entirety.

I'm sure there are many more reasons behind it that I'm not aware or cannot think of.

BallHawk
You can't go 4 weeks without a video game console? Shoot, I wish I could play mine more than once every 4 weeks. I am still on an old Madden for regular Xbox.

I could, but I'd be kinda bored.

Partial
04-15-2008, 05:43 PM
http://forums.slickdeals.net/showthread.php?t=797114

PS3 for 366 shipped from K-Mart

Freak Out
04-15-2008, 05:44 PM
The Blu-ray player is what I'm after...the rest is a very nice add-on. With all the recent hardware and now software upgrades it just keeps getting better. A friend bought the most recent build and the thing up converts very well to HD.

red
04-15-2008, 05:48 PM

I had the same problem that you had Red, The Red Rings of Death. Since this happens to about 33% of 360s bought before a certain day (I camped out for mine when it came out so I'm pretty lucky it's lasted this long) Microsoft extended the warranty to 3 years from the date of purchase, basically including everybody.

I'm sending mine back now, but I'm going to be without it for about 4 weeks and I figured that I'm going to buy a PS3 eventually, I might as well buy when my other main console is broken.

MLB 08: The Show is a great game on the PS3. It's like the good old days of MVP Baseball from EA.

Can't wait till MGS4.

don't fret, i started to panic too when i found out it would take over a month to get mine back. and like you i was thinking of a ps3

but it only took 2 weeks

and like 27, i haven't bought a ps3 because they haven't made a good game yet that i can't already get for the 360

except maybe resistance

red
04-15-2008, 06:00 PM

The simple answer is that companies know that they can make more money selling on multiple consoles. Sony is really messing up. They've lost Final Fantasy and GTA, two of their biggest franchises. Meanwhile, Microsoft is keeping Gears of War on the Xbox and they managed to keep Halo on the 360 for its entirety.

I'm sure there are many more reasons behind it that I'm not aware or cannot think of.

i think you nailed it right there

add to that the fact that sony really hasn't sold that many ps3's. meaning those old sony only companies had a smaller market

microsolt knows where the mony is made, on the games. thats why they sold the old xbox's and probably the 360 for less then what it costs to make them. they sold them cheap to get as many out there as they could to sell more games

Charles Woodson
04-15-2008, 07:27 PM

Can't wait till MGS4.

don't fret, i started to panic too when i found out it would take over a month to get mine back. and like you i was thinking of a ps3

but it only took 2 weeks

and like 27, i haven't bought a ps3 because they haven't made a good game yet that i can't already get for the 360

except maybe resistance

Yea between me and my 2 brothers we all have 360's, mine and my oldest brothers got the RRofdeath, mine first, then his, and we sent them back, within less than 2 weeks we got them back with a 1 month of live free.
I really never have been a fan of Playstation, never bought one and i dont think i will, like red said i dont think theres a single game specially for PS3 that i wished i could get for xbox

Partial
04-15-2008, 08:25 PM

Can't wait till MGS4.

but it only took 2 weeks

except maybe resistance

Yea between me and my 2 brothers we all have 360's, mine and my oldest brothers got the RRofdeath, mine first, then his, and we sent them back, within less than 2 weeks we got them back with a 1 month of live free.
I really never have been a fan of Playstation, never bought one and i dont think i will, like red said i dont think theres a single game specially for PS3 that i wished i could get for xbox

Outta curiosity, not criticizing, why do you all have consoles? Isn't the new xbox like 8 player capable?

BallHawk
04-15-2008, 08:32 PM
except maybe resistance

Resistance isn't that good of a game. It's touted by Sony Fanboys like it is amazing (the way Killzone was supposed to be) but it lacks in comparison to games like Halo and Gears. The PS3 doesn't really produce exclusive shooters that are any good, compared to other consoles. If the Sony sticks to its bread and butter, RPGs, mainly, they'll be absolutely fine. What Sony can't do is try to make the PS3 like the Xbox, because they won't be able to do that.

twoseven
04-16-2008, 04:36 AM
My guess is no one here is going to have the answer, because who's going to have upgraded their 360..but the 360 fairly recently, within last year, shipped the Black box that has more memory and runs an HDMI instead of the green/blue component cable to the HDTV. It goes for an additional $100. Being a freak for the best picture I wondered how much of a difference this upgrade would make, if there was much of a difference with the HDMI upgrade. Any chance anyone knows anybody who's got an eyeball of this conversion? This is why I am frustrated with the PS3 offering no real incentive to branch out beyond what the 360 offers, I've heard the PS3 offers a far better picture for it's gaming..

..and here here to the 360 hanging onto Gears and Halo, at least somebody understands the power of offering exclusive titles these days. Suprised it's taken this long for PS3 to drop prices. The public execution of HD DVD and everyone throwing their hat in the BluRay ring is just one more reason PS3 should be kicking ass, but I just don't see/hear much buzz from them yet..other than falling prices and this new promo for 5 DVDs.

Zool
04-16-2008, 07:28 AM
thats why they sold the old xbox's and probably the 360 for less then what it costs to make them. they sold them cheap to get as many out there as they could to sell more games

Here's where the misunderstanding about the system war comes in. The 360 came out a calendar year before the PS3. It was priced at $399 on launch. The HD-DVD addon was I believe $129.

PS3 launched at $499 with a BluRay player already installed.

The 360 is currently $350 and still lacking any HD movie support without an add-on purchase which is now unsupported by movie studios.

The PS3 is $399 now with BluRay with a rumored price drop coming soon.

If you have an HD-TV and want to watch HD movies, the PS3 is an absolute no brainer. Its the best BluRay player on the market and being that you can hook it up to any standard internet connection you get firmware updates easily. They just released DTS support in the latest system patch.

SkinBasket
04-16-2008, 07:42 AM
Being a freak for the best picture I wondered how much of a difference this upgrade would make, if there was much of a difference with the HDMI upgrade. Any chance anyone knows anybody who's got an eyeball of this conversion?

You're not going to see much of a difference because your still going to be running at the same resolution as you were on component since the xbox doesn't run 1080p. Essentially HDMI on the xbox just makes it easier to connect to your TV.

As far as exclusives go, the games cost so much to produce these days that it is becoming financially impossible to make games as large as GTA without making them cross platform, unless they are financed 1st party games or the company can count on selling a bazillion copies worldwide (ala Final Fantasy). People tend to get all worked up about exclusives, but they really aren't what they used to be. PS3 is already outselling 360 in the US month to month and their "big" exclusives - Metal Gear, Killzone 2, Gran Tourismo, and Final Fantasy aren't out until this summer, fall, and winter.

SkinBasket
04-16-2008, 07:50 AM
thats why they sold the old xbox's and probably the 360 for less then what it costs to make them. they sold them cheap to get as many out there as they could to sell more games

Here's where the misunderstanding about the system war comes in. The 360 came out a calendar year before the PS3. It was priced at $399 on launch. The HD-DVD addon was I believe $129.

Don't forget Sony sells the PS3 at a much greater loss than Microsoft and the 360. The xbox loses Microsoft 125 bucks per console versus sony losing between 250-300 depending on the model. No one makes money on consoles unless they have the staying power of the PS2 or the Nintendo DS, both of which still outsell the next gen consoles regularly.

red
04-16-2008, 07:51 AM

PS3 launched at $499 with a BluRay player already installed.

The 360 is currently $350 and still lacking any HD movie support without an add-on purchase which is now unsupported by movie studios.

The PS3 is $399 now with BluRay with a rumored price drop coming soon.

If you have an HD-TV and want to watch HD movies, the PS3 is an absolute no brainer. Its the best BluRay player on the market and being that you can hook it up to any standard internet connection you get firmware updates easily. They just released DTS support in the latest system patch.

you can get the basic 360 for $280 right now

and as for no way to watch movies, i'm sure soon enough microsoft will come out with an add on for blue ray like they had for HD-DVD.

probably for about they same price as the hd-dvd.

so you're looking at the systems almost costing the same

also do you have to have a remote to use the blu ray on the ps3? or can you use the controler?

i remember with one of my ps2's i couldn't watch movies because it told me i needed to buy a remote

Zool
04-16-2008, 07:57 AM
you can get the basic 360 for $280 right now
the basic 360 has no hard drive built in so you'll need to buy memory cards to save anything.

and as for no way to watch movies, i'm sure soon enough microsoft will come out with an add on for blue ray like they had for HD-DVD.

probably for about they same price as the hd-dvd.

so you're looking at the systems almost costing the same
again add-on. the PS3 is still the best bluray player on the market

also do you have to have a remote to use the blu ray on the ps3? or can you use the controler?

i remember with one of my ps2's i couldn't watch movies because it told me i needed to buy a remote
controller works just fine and its bluetooth. the remote was only $22 so I bought it anyways. you can turn the system on and off with the remote or the controllers. That in itself is damned cool IMO

I'm no shill for Sony. I resisted the PS3 for all the same reasons everyone has stated. Now that I got one, I'm way happier with it. I hooked up my bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it worked instantly. Its really just a much better planned out system. The 40g model that I have is whisper quiet. Every 360 I've ever heard sounds like a 747. I was a big fan of the xbox over the PS2 and figured I would continue that onto the next gen. Excellent games aside, MS shit the bed on the hardware for the 360.

SkinBasket
04-16-2008, 09:18 AM
The biggest thing that's made me stay away from the 360 is the hard drive issue. Microsoft keeps yappin about how downloadable content and media is the way of the future, yet they don't include a hard drive on their basic model, only have 40 gigs on the standard model. and only sell proprietary insanely overpriced upgrades. That's fucked up.

red
04-16-2008, 09:57 AM
yeah, i forgot about the hard drive, that set me back $100 for the small one

also, i had to buy a wireless network thingie for another 100. does the ps3 need one?

you can turn the 360 on and off with the controller too, very cool indeed

i have been looking for a reason to buy a ps3, but until that must have ps3 exclusive game comes out, it probably won't happen. i did have both systems from the last gen at the same time. so i really have nothing against sony

RE 5 might be the game that makes me break down

edit. NVM it'll be on the 360 too, sweet

BallHawk
04-16-2008, 11:19 AM
also, i had to buy a wireless network thingie for another 100. does the ps3 need one?

Wifi is built into the PS3. Took me two minutest to set it up. Compare that to the hours I've spent screwing around with Xbox Live and it's a very appealing feature.

BallHawk
04-16-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm no shill for Sony. I resisted the PS3 for all the same reasons everyone has stated. Now that I got one, I'm way happier with it. I hooked up my bluetooth keyboard and mouse and it worked instantly. Its really just a much better planned out system. The 40g model that I have is whisper quiet. Every 360 I've ever heard sounds like a 747. I was a big fan of the xbox over the PS2 and figured I would continue that onto the next gen. Excellent games aside, MS shit the bed on the hardware for the 360.

Same way with me, Zool. I'm not a fanboy, but I've always favored Microsoft slightly, compared to Sony. For a long time I've considered the PS3 the biggest joke in a few generations of console gaming.

However, since having bought one and warmed up to it, this console can be just as good as the Xbox 360. Can it be better? I don't think so. Xbox Live is a monster and until PS3 locks up exclusive titles I don't see Sony takin the lead. They can still be neck-and-neck with Microsoft, though, without question.

And agreed with the sound issue. I've got a 40 and I can't hear it unless I'm within a foot or two of it. I can hear my 360 two rooms down the hall from where the console is.

red
04-16-2008, 11:46 AM
i see theres a new final fantasy coming out for the ps3 at some point. maybe that will be the must have game for me

i bough the ps1 for ff7 and the ps2 for ff10

twoseven
04-16-2008, 02:08 PM
"big" exclusives - Metal Gear
There's my motivation, hope it doesn't blow.

BallHawk
04-16-2008, 05:00 PM
"big" exclusives - Metal Gear
There's my motivation, hope it doesn't blow.

There's never been a bad Metal Gear. I expect this one to be the best yet.

red
04-16-2008, 07:57 PM
i've owned a couple metal gears, and although they were good, they didn't hit me as something i had to have, or couldn't stop playing

falco
04-16-2008, 08:23 PM
best metal gear ever were the ones on nintendo

Charles Woodson
04-16-2008, 09:40 PM

Can't wait till MGS4.

but it only took 2 weeks

except maybe resistance

Outta curiosity, not criticizing, why do you all have consoles? Isn't the new xbox like 8 player capable?
All the consoles, like 3 of them? well partial my oldest brother lives in chicago, and my other one is in college in texas, so were not at the same place