PDA

View Full Version : 5 Coaches on the Hot Seat

GrnBay007
07-06-2007, 03:10 PM
To bad for Gruden. I like him.

The List: Five coaches on the hot seat

By Joe Theismann
ESPN.com

Every year there are head coaches who have to turn it around for the good of their teams or their own careers. Here are five guys who need to have big seasons or their reputations and their teams could be ruined.

1. Tom Coughlin, New York Giants: I'm still somewhat surprised that Coughlin lasted through the offseason, but the Giants felt he deserved another chance. The degree of difficulty for this season skyrocketed midway through last season though when Tiki Barber decided to retire. This is going to be a make or break season for the Giants.

2. Romeo Crennel, Cleveland Browns: : Another coach who has had a team ravaged by injuries, Crennel hasn't really had the opportunity to get the squad he wants onto the field. But with two top notch prospects coming in this season, the pressure will be on Crennel to make a run.

3. Jon Gruden, Tampa Bay Buccaneers: : It's a shame because I believe he's one of the best coaches in football, but the past few seasons have garnered the results the fans and ownership have expected. A lot of this has had to do with injuries, but the onus is still on Gruden to get this team at least to the playoffs.

4. Jack Del Rio, Jacksonville Jaguars: The Jags are a talented team that has underachieved the past few seasons. They are stuck in one of the tougher divisions especially with Indianapolis playing them twice a year, but the Jags have to turn the corner and start making it happen or Del Rio could be jettisoned.

5. John Fox, Carolina Panthers: This team is too talented not to have had more success the past few seasons. If the Panthers miss the playoffs again we could see the end of Fox's reign in Carolina.

MJZiggy
07-06-2007, 03:15 PM
Actually, I never forgave Gruden for replacing Dungy. Not fair, but that's how it is.

woodbuck27
07-06-2007, 03:16 PM
I think that Gruden and Jack Del Rio will survive 2007.

There certainly is alot of pressure on Coughlin.

Bretsky
07-06-2007, 05:20 PM
Interesting to see; wonder how many on that list the PR following would take in a second over MM

BallHawk
07-06-2007, 05:28 PM
Interesting to see; wonder how many on that list the PR following would take in a second over MM

The only one I would consider is Jack Del Rio. He's a great defensive coach and he's young. Also, he's a throwback to the old days wearing that suit. :wink:

Joemailman
07-06-2007, 07:41 PM

I think Coughlin would have to make it to the Super Bowl to survive. Otherwise, Belichick will be the next coach of the Giants.

Rastak
07-06-2007, 07:43 PM

I think Coughlin would have to make it to the Super Bowl to survive. Otherwise, Belichick will be the next coach of the Giants.

So the PFT rumor goes....

oregonpackfan
07-06-2007, 08:04 PM
Actually, I never forgave Gruden for replacing Dungy. Not fair, but that's how it is.

MJ,

It was certainly unfair for Tony Dungy to be let go at Tampa Bay.

Obviously, Dungy went on to better places with the Colts. "When a door is shut, sometimes a window is opened."

MadtownPacker
07-06-2007, 11:16 PM

The only one I would consider is Jack Del Rio. He's a great defensive coach and he's young. Also, he's a throwback to the old days wearing that suit. :wink:Hell no!!

Why would you want some cheapshot approving, former viking??

I'll take M3 over all except Chucky but that might change this season.

billy_oliver880
07-07-2007, 12:10 AM
I find these articles very amusing. Why would a coach be on the hot seat if there hasn't been a down of football played? Once the season starts is when they should start these articles...as for now its just all filler.

the_idle_threat
07-07-2007, 12:10 AM
IMO, M3 is exactly the guy for this team right now. He seems to command respect from the young players, and he's got great rapport with Brett and the other vets.

Not the time to be pining for others, especially guys who are on the hot seat elsewhere, which means they haven't been gettin' it done.

MadtownPacker
07-07-2007, 12:26 AM
You're right Idle. I have now changed my mind. I wouldn't trade M3 for any of these guys or many of the other coaches.

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 04:44 AM
Idle, you nailled it from where I am sitting. M3 is our HC and I don't want him replaced.

What I like about him is he is willing to adapt, i.e. admit his mistakes. Just look at the fact that the players will get Wednesdays off in camp - that was a direct reaction to the 1-4 start we had last year. He admitted his training regimé was too much for the players to cope with.

I don't know if Shermie would have been man enough to come out and say that. But some Shermie lover/M3 hater will soon lemme have it....

Rastak
07-07-2007, 05:26 AM
I find these articles very amusing. Why would a coach be on the hot seat if there hasn't been a down of football played? Once the season starts is when they should start these articles...as for now its just all filler.

I think they are on the hotseat because of all the games played over the last two years, not because of this year.

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 05:29 AM

I think they are on the hotseat because of all the games played over the last two years, not because of this year.

What aboutz Childress, Ras? He wasn't that popular last year, was he?

Rastak
07-07-2007, 07:33 AM

What aboutz Childress, Ras? He wasn't that popular last year, was he?

Ummm, no Chilly was not a real popular guy. But he most likely isn't on the hotseat yet. If the team shows no offensive improvement he could easily make that list next summer.

MadtownPacker
07-07-2007, 10:16 AM
I like Childish as the viking HC. Similar to how I like Millen as the GM of the lions. :lol:

Bretsky
07-07-2007, 10:36 AM
IMO, M3 is exactly the guy for this team right now. He seems to command respect from the young players, and he's got great rapport with Brett and the other vets.

Not the time to be pining for others, especially guys who are on the hot seat elsewhere, which means they haven't been gettin' it done.

Upon reflection, under normal circumstances I'd completely disagree with you.
I like Gruden as a coach. Del Rio is intriguing, and I still like Fox.

But TT would need a coach patient enough to go through the rebuilding process and I'm not sure any one of those three would be the right guy to to that.

Charles Woodson
07-07-2007, 11:19 AM

Anything can happen though, Marty got canned after going 14-2

Tarlam!
07-07-2007, 11:29 AM
Anything can happen though, Marty got canned after going 14-2

Marty got canned for reverting to Marty-Ball in the play-offs...