PDA

View Full Version : Bill Maas - Dumb Act No Act

Scott Campbell
07-08-2007, 08:16 AM
NFL broadcaster Maas arrested on weapons, drug charges

Associated Press

Updated: July 8, 2007, 1:49 AM ET

PEORIA, Ill. -- Former NFL player and Fox Sports broadcaster Bill Maas was charged with drug possession and weapons charges following a roadside safety check.

The 45-year-old Maas and a passenger in his Hummer, Sarah J. Murphy, 27, were arrested late Friday by Illinois State Police. During the stop, police indicated Maas seemed nervous, and he agreed to a search of his vehicle.

Police found a .22-caliber revolver, 5 grams of suspected marijuana, 6 grams of suspected cocaine and 28 pills of Ecstasy. Maas and Murphy were charged with possession of a controlled substance and possession of marijuana. Maas was also booked on a charge of unlawful use of a weapon.

"We didn't recognize him until about 5 p.m. this afternoon," Trooper Tony Halsey told the Journal Star of Peoria on Saturday.

Halsey said he had no idea why Maas and Murphy, both residents of Lee's Summit, Mo., were in the area.

They were taken to the Tazewell County Jail in Illinois and will appear for a bond hearing Sunday before a county circuit court judge.

Maas was drafted from the University of Pittsburgh by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1984, and was the NFL's Defensive Rookie of the Year. He was a two-time All-Pro selection. He played with the Chiefs until 1992 and joined the Green Bay Packers the following year.

Maas joined Fox in 1996. From 1998-01, he served as studio anchor and game analyst for NFL games. Last season he reported games for the network.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Rastak
07-08-2007, 08:36 AM
What exatly is a "safety roadside check"?

Regardless Maas is an idiot.

Harlan Huckleby
07-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Police found a .22-caliber revolver, 5 grams of suspected marijuana, 6 grams of suspected cocaine and 28 pills of Ecstasy

and a partridge in a pair tree!

That sentence was an adventure. "22- pistol" - big deal, probably hunted squirrels. "5 grams marijuana" - why so little with a guy so rich? "6 grams cocaine" - uh oh, this guy parties hard "28 pills ecstasy" - christ, a grown man, and a fat man at that, is using a drug that gives heart attacks to 22-year-olds!!??

ND72
07-08-2007, 09:42 AM

On weekends in Illinois, police set up a roadside check in random areas. Basically every car that goes through the area is stopped, and people are asked questions...usually, they get a few DUI's on a weekend at random stops, but to get a possession of gun & drugs, is probably something all those cops will laugh about for a while.

Rastak
07-08-2007, 10:10 AM

On weekends in Illinois, police set up a roadside check in random areas. Basically every car that goes through the area is stopped, and people are asked questions...usually, they get a few DUI's on a weekend at random stops, but to get a possession of gun & drugs, is probably something all those cops will laugh about for a while.

That's nice, pull everybody over including all of the people minding their own business. Hey, why not seach every car...they don't have probable cause anyway to pull everybody over. I think we should have house safety checks by police, who knows what kind of boost to public safety we'd get by barging into homes to find wrongdoers.....

Freak Out
07-08-2007, 10:19 AM

That's nice, pull everybody over including all of the people minding their own business. Hey, why not seach every car...they don't have probable cause anyway to pull everybody over. I think we should have house safety checks by police, who knows what kind of boost to public safety we'd get by barging into homes to find wrongdoers.....

Sounds like Nazi Germany not America. Wait...all they are doing is trying to keep money flowing into the pension fund. That's cool.

Freak Out
07-08-2007, 10:21 AM
Was he under the influence of drugs or booze at the time?

packinpatland
07-08-2007, 12:12 PM

No, he.......

" seemed nervous".

Rastak
07-08-2007, 12:46 PM

No, he.......

" seemed nervous".

I'd be nervous even if my car was empty....why in the hell did he consent to a search though knowing he had guns and drugs in the car? He was stopped without probable cause and it certainly isn't illegal to be nervous although it could be considered suspisious......

BobDobbs
07-08-2007, 02:42 PM
He must have been on drugs to consent to a search. It seems that he knows how to exercise his muscles, but not his rights.

KYPack
07-08-2007, 09:44 PM
When ya don't agree to the search....

They go get the dogs & make damned sure to do a real good search.

Green Bud Packer
07-08-2007, 09:55 PM
I hate Illinois Nazi's.

the_idle_threat
07-08-2007, 10:54 PM
If your gonna get caught with a concealed weapon in the car, make sure it's something worthwhile ... not a .22 revolver! Sheesh! :twisted:

oregonpackfan
07-08-2007, 11:14 PM
Maybe Maas needed the weapon so the young woman wouldn't try to rob him of his innocence! :)

billy_oliver880
07-09-2007, 01:33 AM

What Ras said.

Rastak
07-09-2007, 07:17 AM

So let me get this straight, they pull you over along with everybody else on the freeway, then ask to search your car because they think you look "suspisious". If you decline they bring in dogs...I really hope you were kidding.

Scott Campbell
07-09-2007, 07:40 AM

So let me get this straight, they pull you over along with everybody else on the freeway, then ask to search your car because they think you look "suspisious". If you decline they bring in dogs...I really hope you were kidding.

They did this at the border coming into Utah from Wyoming (Evanston) over the 4th of July holiday. They were looking for 2 things - illegal fireworks and 1/4 barrels which are illegal for consumer use in Utah.

KYPack
07-09-2007, 08:07 AM

Yeah, Ras, that's the deal.

Our "rights" to prevent illegal search and siezure were stripped away years ago. Now, if they wanna search, they do it. They only ask the question to get your reaction.

If you seem sober and lucid and aren't afraid to be searched, they skip it.

But,

If you are shakey, & say shit like , "why do you wanna search my car?"....

You get tossed & tossed good.

retailguy
07-09-2007, 08:16 AM

Our "rights" to prevent illegal search and siezure were stripped away years ago. Now, if they wanna search, they do it. They only ask the question to get your reaction.

But,

This is true. A "search" by the dog is not illegal as the dog is outside the car. If the dog picks up a scent, now they have probable cause to search without your permission. If the dog doesn't find anything, it is very likely that you don't have anything in the car anyway.

Fritz
07-09-2007, 08:31 AM
Maybe he was more nervous about the hot 27 year old than any illegal substances....mebbe he had a wife at home...

swede
07-09-2007, 10:16 AM
I know this is moving into Romper Room territory, but...

Should a police officer pull you over for a legitimate reason, such as speeding, it seems to me that the officer has the right to ask to search and then call for the dogs when consent is not given.

Randomly pulling vehicles to the side of the road for a "safety check" should be considered a violation of constitutional protection.

The SCOTUS has decided in the past that high school students may not be forced to submit to blood or urine tests UNLESS they wish to participate in extracurricular activities and thus agree to an elevated level of scrutiny in order to enjoy the privilege of athletics. Simply going to school doesn't cause you to give up constitutional prohibitions against illegal search and seizure.

IMHO driving through the corrupt and ugly state of Illinois is a necessity that only desperate citizens undertake in order to get to Indiana or Missouri. Why penalize them further by allowing the local cops to pull over "random" (spell that as "profiled") vehicles under the thinly veiled excuse of running safety checks.

I don't like Bill Maas much, and I am all for proper enforcement of the law, but this "safety check" garbage is pretty shady.

In a perfect world the ACLU would quit worrying about Guantamo's non-uniformed enemy combatants and take care of business in Illinois and Florida and the other states abusing the constitution in this manner.

In an even more perfect world I'd be posting about training camp stuff and not about Bill Maas getting cavity searched by Illinois cops.

Harlan Huckleby
07-09-2007, 10:26 AM
I don't like Bill Maas much

Bill Maas is a good TV analyst, although he does have motor mouth moments. Makes you wonder about that ecstacy - did he drink a lot of bottled water on the set?

the_idle_threat
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM
It's my understanding that the law treats driving as a privilege rather than a right. Hence the government's ability to license it (i.e. give permission to do it), and enforce rules all the way down to unpaid parking tickets with the threat of revocation. The government can't require a license for exercise of a legal right, nor can it revoke a legal right for something as mundane as a parking ticket.

Therefore---like the H.S. athlete who enjoys the privilege of athletics in exchange for allowing "elevated scrutiny"---those who exercise the privilege of driving allow themselves to be subject to search techniques such as this that probably would not fly if done, say, at your home, or even on your person if you were walking down the sidewalk. I haven't studied the subject, but I suspect the reasoning goes along these lines.

Rastak
07-09-2007, 04:13 PM
It's my understanding that the law treats driving as a privilege rather than a right. Hence the government's ability to license it (i.e. give permission to do it), and enforce rules all the way down to unpaid parking tickets with the threat of revocation. The government can't require a license for exercise of a legal right, nor can it revoke a legal right for something as mundane as a parking ticket.

Therefore---like the H.S. athlete who enjoys the privilege of athletics in exchange for allowing "elevated scrutiny"---those who exercise the privilege of driving allow themselves to be subject to search techniques such as this that probably would not fly if done, say, at your home, or even on your person if you were walking down the sidewalk. I haven't studied the subject, but I suspect the reasoning goes along these lines.

That makes perfect sense. I wonder how long until living in my house is a privilege.

:shock:

the_idle_threat
07-09-2007, 04:25 PM
Do you have a nice house? :idea:

Rastak
07-09-2007, 06:18 PM

All kidding aside, the law requires probable cause to pull someone over or evidence isn't admissable. Privilege or not. Clearly the courts intended to protect the citizens from random stops, then the colossal idiots in the supreme court say it's fine to just stop everybody. Now people tell me
they can decide they think you look funny and use dogs to sniff your car after being pulled over with everyone else. Holy shit. At least I don't drive drunk or haul drugs around which means I'm safe from worry but good god, drivers in a third world country have exactly the same rights as this.

KYPack
07-09-2007, 08:09 PM

All kidding aside, the law requires probable cause to pull someone over or evidence isn't admissible. Privilege or not. Clearly the courts intended to protect the citizens from random stops, then the colossal idiots in the supreme court say it's fine to just stop everybody. Now people tell me
they can decide they think you look funny and use dogs to sniff your car after being pulled over with everyone else. Holy shit. At least I don't drive drunk or haul drugs around which means I'm safe from worry but good god, drivers in a third world country have exactly the same rights as this.

Jeezus, Ras.

I know you hoopters have pretty cold weather over there, but Christ!

Don't they have TV or newspapers er somethin where ya live?

This erosion of rights and ignoring of the constitution has been going on now for awhile. It has happened over the guise of "law and order" and mainly been a political expedient, but shit, i didn't know there was no news of it in Minnesota.

Go ahead & study up, & get pissed.

I've already lapsed back into apathy on the whole thing.

You go ahead and carry the fight!

Scott Campbell
07-10-2007, 06:44 PM
Bill Maas, a two-time NFL All-Pro who joined Fox in 1996, was arrested Friday night in Peoria, Ill., and charged with illegal drug possession and unlawful use of a weapon. Fox's Dan Bell says Maas, used on a spot basis on Fox after losing his full-time analyst role two seasons ago, "wasn't expected" to work for Fox this season and now "will not be coming back to Fox in any capacity."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/columnist/hiestand-tv/2007-07-08-hiestand-faldo_N.htm?csp=34

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2007, 09:33 PM
Don't they have TV or newspapers er somethin where ya live?

This erosion of rights and ignoring of the constitution has been going on now for awhile. It has happened over the guise of "law and order" and mainly been a political expedient, but shit, i didn't know there was no news of it in Minnesota.

Go ahead & study up, & get pissed.

I've already lapsed back into apathy on the whole thing.

You go ahead and carry the fight!

It's lonely being a libertarian nowadays. Most people don't even realize what the hell has been going on for the last 40 years.

MJZiggy
07-10-2007, 09:50 PM
I have a friend I should put you in touch with...you're not alone.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2008, 10:07 AM
From PFT:

POSTED 10:20 a.m. EST, February 7, 2008

MAAS GETS PROBATION

The fall of a former NFL star and television analyst is now complete. But he's still better off than Mike Vick.

Former All-Pro defensive lineman and FOX broadcaster Bill Mass has received two years of probation after pleading guilty gun and drug charges.

Maas was busted last year with a lady friend . . . and a loaded gun, some coke, and a bag of "E". Maas pleaded guilty to unlawful use of a weapon, and she pleaded guilty to one count of possession of a controlled substance. All other charges were dropped.

In September 2007, a gun was found in a carry-on that Maas was carrying on (duh) to an airplane. He was not charged with any crimes in that incident.

At one point, Maas was regarded as a rising star in the broadcasting world. But he lost his fastball, dramatically, and he was phased out by FOX before being dropped completely prior to last year's arrest.

The Leaper
02-08-2008, 11:01 AM

Just keep electing career politicians, and soon you won't be able to dress yourself in the morning until Congress approves your wardrobe.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 12:57 PM
Police found a .22-caliber revolver, 5 grams of suspected marijuana, 6 grams of suspected cocaine and 28 pills of Ecstasy

and a partridge in a pair tree!

That sentence was an adventure. "22- pistol" - big deal, probably hunted squirrels. "5 grams marijuana" - why so little with a guy so rich? "6 grams cocaine" - uh oh, this guy parties hard "28 pills ecstasy" - christ, a grown man, and a fat man at that, is using a drug that gives heart attacks to 22-year-olds!!??

I've never heard of X giving heartattacks.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 12:59 PM

But,

Welcome white people to the world minorities live in. Reason you were stopped...DWB.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 01:03 PM
I know this is moving into Romper Room territory, but...

Should a police officer pull you over for a legitimate reason, such as speeding, it seems to me that the officer has the right to ask to search and then call for the dogs when consent is not given.

Why is it legitimate to search if you are speeding. Are you now linking excessive speed to other crimes? Ridiculous.

Should they search you if you make an illegal turn or glide thru a stop sign.

Should they search you if you jaywalk?

There is a reason those crimes are misdemeanors..not felonies.

That would be just plain fishing.

dissident94
02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
I was stopped at a random DUI roadside check in Arizona. I live in Tucson and on major party nights they have the roads blocked off and stop everyone.

Well I was drunk when I got pulled over. BUt luckily I have lived in Wisconsin most of my life and a experience drinker so I could sober my self enough to pass the sobriety test. Just luckily they did not give me a breathalizer, Which they are giving more now at these stops.

I was extremely lucky and they do work. I no longer drive when I have more than 2-3. Even then I am wary. Not sure if they are legal and it is scary the fact of pulling every car over.

The Leaper
02-08-2008, 03:38 PM
All kidding aside, the law requires probable cause to pull someone over or evidence isn't admissable.

These "random" DUI stops aren't really random. I believe they have to announce these stops beforehand by law. I know I see tidbits in the paper here in Columbus about when the state troopers are having a DUI checkpoint...usually around major holidays where drunk driving is a concern. They tell you exactly where they are putting the checkpoint and when, so you can avoid them entirely if you give a damn.

I'm guessing that is how they get around needing "probable cause"...by notifying the community that it is going to happen beforehand as a way to prevent drunk driving.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 05:11 PM
All kidding aside, the law requires probable cause to pull someone over or evidence isn't admissable.

These "random" DUI stops aren't really random. I believe they have to announce these stops beforehand by law. I know I see tidbits in the paper here in Columbus about when the state troopers are having a DUI checkpoint...usually around major holidays where drunk driving is a concern. They tell you exactly where they are putting the checkpoint and when, so you can avoid them entirely if you give a damn.

I'm guessing that is how they get around needing "probable cause"...by notifying the community that it is going to happen beforehand as a way to prevent drunk driving.

Pretty much it.

As a resident of scottsdale, let me just say that having the SB here was no fun for driving. Unless you love knowing that you could be going to tent city for pretty much two beers.

AZ is at .08..which for anyone who is small is basically like one drink.

tyrone, and those who know the law, suggest that when pulled over, roll your window down just enough to talk. Then DO NOT TALK more than necessary and DO NOT TAKE A FIELD SOBRIETY test.

You are are going downtown no matter what. Keep your mouth shut and lawyer up.

Scott Campbell
02-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Did you see any extra traffic in Scottsdale? I still can't believe they built that stadium way out in the middle of nowhere.

Tyrone Bigguns
02-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Did you see any extra traffic in Scottsdale? I still can't believe they built that stadium way out in the middle of nowhere.

Tons of traffic. Just getting to the gym was a hassle. Most of the "ballers" were staying in scottsdale. I didn't even venture into old town for the whole week. tyrone moved his cardboard box to the rez.

Stadium: While it is far from Scottsdale..the way Phx is growing, it is actually quite centrally located. The west valley is taking off.

The Coyotes (hockey) also play out there as well. Only the Suns and Dbacks play in downtown phx.

mission
02-09-2008, 10:40 AM
what a dumbass. thats why my buddy engineers celuloid hidden compartments for big shots cars. everyone wants to carry a gun in Georgia...

also guys, I have a real cool friend who's a state trooper and he said the right answer to protect your rights at all times when they ask if you've been drinking or how many you've had is "thank you officer, I'm fine". apparently there's an implied admittance in "just a couple" and also that answer tells the cop that you understand your rights and are way more likely to battle the charges in court and they HATE going to court to testify/witness so are more likely to let you off.

swede
02-10-2008, 09:35 AM
I have a real cool friend who's a state trooper and he said the right answer to protect your rights at all times when they ask if you've been drinking or how many you've had is "thank you officer, I'm fine".

I suspect that responding, "Shank you, offisher, I'm (hic!) fine," doesn't work quite as effectively.

Iron Mike
02-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I was stopped at a random DUI roadside check in Arizona. I live in Tucson and on major party nights they have the roads blocked off and stop everyone.

They used to have random DUI checks at Ft. Huachuca when I was stationed there.........until all of the soldiers pulled off of the road coming back from Sierra Vista or Tucson at the gate and slept it off until the next morning. It was getting to be a road hazard. 8-)