PDA

View Full Version : Bush Wants To Become Mainstay On Defense

Scott Campbell
07-08-2007, 09:42 PM
http://www.thereporter.com/ci_6327730?source=most_viewed

The Packers' Jarrett Bush wants to become mainstay on defense.
By Eliav Appelbaum/Sports Writer
Article Launched: 07/08/2007 07:27:31 AM PDT

Jarrett Bush couldn't believe who he had to defend.

Chad Johnson.

Yeah, that Chad Johnson, the Pro Bowl wide receiver for the Cincinnati Bengals.

For Bush, working out with Johnson in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla. last Tuesday was just another day on the job. Or another day getting ready for what Bush hopes will be a breakout second season in the NFL with the Green Bay Packers.

"It's been going good down here in Florida," Bush said last week. "It's been muggy, very hot. It's a vigorous workout but that's the best way to get in shape. It's the old-fashioned way of working out."

The Will C. Wood High School graduate was toiling with a few defensive backs with the Packers in Ft. Lauderdale because there was, well, nothing to do in Vacaville.

"I was home in Vacaville for about a week, but I was bored," Bush said. "All my friends are working. My dad works. My mom works.

"My job is to work out but you can only work out for so long. I got bored sitting at home waiting for everyone to get off work. My friends didn't get off work until 7 or 8 and before you know it, it's starts getting late."

After nine grueling days in Florida, the second-year cornerback flew to Logan, Utah, on Thursday where he is continuing his offseason training on the Utah State campus.

Bush and the Packers open up training camp on July 28 at 2 p.m. back in Green Bay.

Working out with Johnson was definitely a highlight for Bush, one he won't soon forget.

"It's just the name itself. He's a Pro Bowler. It was a learning experience when he came by," Bush said. "I learned so much more with him within those two hours we worked out than sometimes what I learned in three, four or five months from another time. He just went into so much detail and cleared up a lot of things. He taught me what a wide receiver thinks about and what the corner has to think about."

Bush, who played in all 16 games while recording 13 tackles, primarily played for the special teams unit. He made his debut on Sept. 10 against Chicago in Soldier Field while contributing on special teams. He saw his first defensive action a week later against New Orleans when he replaced Al Harris at left cornerback. He recorded a season-high three tackles against St. Louis and Miami, and played five snaps at cornerback against the San Francisco 49ers on Dec. 10.

The Carolina Panthers signed Bush as a free agent on May 5, but didn't have a spot for him on their active roster, and were forced to waive him on September 2. Less than 24 hours later, the Packers picked him up.

This season, Bush will vie for the coveted nickelback position or fifth defensive back with Green Bay.

Although corners Harris and Charles Woodson are entrenched as starters, Bush thinks he can prosper as a nickelback.

"I've got the ability. I know I can play," the Vacaville native said. "I'm trying to get more time on defense, a little here and there, getting more reps. I want to get that nickel spot and contribute to the team. Only time will tell. I've got to keep pounding, keep working, keep practicing over and over and over and over until I really start excelling."

Even though he has only played cornerback for four years, Bush has learned quickly and excelled when given the opportunity.

Bush has already proven to be a playmaker.

During organized team activities (OTAs) a week after the first minicamp in June, Bush showcased his skills, intercepting three or four passes by his account against quarterbacks Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers.

"That one hurt," a laughing Bush said of his pick against the legendary Favre. "He threw that one hard.

"Overall, my production has been tremendous from last year," Bush continued. "At Carolina, I made plays, but it seems like I stepped up to a different level ... I'm very confident in what I'm doing now."

Sef0r
07-09-2007, 03:43 AM
Weren't a lot of Carolina fans really upset that they let him go?
On one of the fansites I believe it was said he was the best cornerback prospect they had?

the_idle_threat
07-09-2007, 05:59 AM
On one of the fansites I believe it was said he was the best cornerback prospect they had?

I haven't heard this before, but it's a nice thing to hear and I hope it's true. 8-)

SD GB fan
07-09-2007, 03:43 PM
doubtful. unless he was just too raw, why would a team let their best prospect go? but hopefully he develops well.

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Hell, this a great feel good story today. I am oblivious to them. Anyone remember Michael Hawkins?

To think, I bought into that crap....

Sometimes, I wish TT would just trade the entire draft for a single player, like, say, Calvin Johnson, and be done with it.

Then, we can see how the pressure utterly destroys the guy and pick on TT even more....

wist43
07-09-2007, 03:48 PM
Gotta love these puff pieces.

Camp body/special teams... Just a guy.

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 03:56 PM

Nuh, Wisty, this is another heartbraker, waiting to happen.

I must....not.....get.....emotionally..........attec hed.............m..u..s..t ...n...o...ttttt......

CaliforniaCheez
07-09-2007, 04:10 PM
http://www.thereporter.com/ci_6327730?source=most_viewed

The Packers' Jarrett Bush wants to become mainstay on defense.
By Eliav Appelbaum/Sports Writer
Article Launched: 07/08/2007 07:27:31 AM PDT

The Will C. Wood High School graduate was toiling with a few defensive backs with the Packers in Ft. Lauderdale because there was, well, nothing to do in Vacaville.

"I was home in Vacaville for about a week, but I was bored," Bush said. "All my friends are working. My dad works. My mom works.

As one who has personally visited beautiful downtown Vacaville, it isn't beautiful and it is quite boring(1/3 of the way from Sacramento to San Francisco). It is a hot dusty part of the Central Valley and only about half the residents speak English. The nut orchards really add to the nightlife.

wist43
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM

Nuh, Wisty, this is another heartbraker, waiting to happen.

I must....not.....get.....emotionally..........attec hed.............m..u..s..t ...n...o...ttttt......

Be strong my friend... and whatever you do, don't look it in the eyes!! :clap:

The Leaper
07-10-2007, 08:01 AM
The 5th DB position is COVETED?

Yikes.

BallHawk
07-10-2007, 08:26 AM
When I first saw this thread I thought I had accidently gone to the Romper Room. :wink: :wink:

Fritz
07-10-2007, 08:57 AM
When I first saw the title of the thread I thought "George Bush? Reggie Bush?"

I imagine the writers keep a template of this story and just change the names every year.

MJZiggy
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
Actually, Fritz, when I read the title, my first thought was, "No. Bush Really wants to be a terminal backup who gets no attention and rarely sees the field..." :roll:

mraynrand
07-10-2007, 11:08 AM
This isn't just a feel-good piece. I think this guy is for real. in reviewing the tapes, the guy was essentially un-blockable on teams by the end of the season. Now, he may never be more than a back-up and ST guy, but that's okay. If you have a kick-ass gunner on teams who can come in and defend in the nickel or dime package, that's great value for a cut-down day cast-off.

MadtownPacker
07-10-2007, 11:16 AM
As one who has personally visited beautiful downtown Vacaville, it isn't beautiful and it is quite boring(1/3 of the way from Sacramento to San Francisco). It is a hot dusty part of the Central Valley and only about half the residents speak English. The nut orchards really add to the nightlife.

So what's any different then the rest of Cali? :lol:

Besides, what do you expect from someplace named "Cow town"?

Good read and good to know even the scrubs are coming in motivated for '07.

SkinBasket
07-10-2007, 11:48 AM
Of course they're motivated. Everyone saw how shitty Dendy was, and how much playing time he got. You only got to be halfway in shape and only one step above completely lacking any skills, abilities, and awareness to beat that fricker out for some big time playing time.

Scott Campbell
07-10-2007, 12:04 PM
I imagine the writers keep a template of this story and just change the names every year.

I thought the same thing. It's like teachers with lesson plans.

Joemailman
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM

This conversation from a Carolina Panther Fan Forum:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/29975-jarrett-bush.html

Tarlam!
07-10-2007, 02:57 PM

This conversation from a Carolina Panther Fan Forum:

http://www.carolinahuddle.com/forum/carolina-panthers/29975-jarrett-bush.html

That is encouraging, but how informed can those fans be? They root for Carolina, after all!! J/K of course.

Heck, TT likes small school guys. Could be another diamond in the rough?

(I know, the haters will now ask me to cite the previous diamonds...)

K-town
07-10-2007, 04:27 PM

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Diamonds and Rust
Diamond Dogs
Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

BallHawk
07-10-2007, 04:37 PM

Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Diamonds and Rust
Diamond Dogs
Diamonds are a Girl's Best Friend

Diamonds are Forever

the_idle_threat
07-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Screech