PDA

View Full Version : Bears Cut O'Sullivan

Scott Campbell
07-08-2007, 09:46 PM
Bears cut O'Sullivan, who led Galaxy to NFL Europa title game

By Len Pasquarelli
ESPN.com

Only a week after the NFL pulled the plug on its overseas developmental league, the Chicago Bears have terminated the contract of the veteran regarded as the top player in NFL Europa this spring, releasing much-traveled quarterback J.T. O'Sullivan.

The move came only three weeks before the defending NFC champions are scheduled to report to training camp, and reflected O'Sullivan's status as a long shot to win a roster spot. Chicago currently has four other quarterbacks -- starter Rex Grossman, veteran backups Brian Griese and Kyle Orton, and undrafted free agent Chris Leak, who led the University of Florida to a national title in 2006 -- on its depth chart.

Barring an unexpected move, that is the quarterback quartet with which the Bears will enter training camp.

When the Bears signed O'Sullivan to a two-year contract in January, they apparently told him that they would not bring him to camp if he didn't have a viable chance to make the team, and club officials kept that promise. Had the Bears taken O'Sullivan to camp, he would not have counted on their roster, since he was an exempt player because of his tour in NFL Europa.

It will be interesting now to see if O'Sullivan, who earned co-most valuable player honors in leading the Frankfurt Galaxy to the NFL Europa championship game this spring, finds work with another NFL team for camp.

O'Sullivan, 27, completed 160 of 235 passes for 1,997 yards, with 15 touchdown passes and seven interceptions, and a league-best passer efficiency rating of 103.1 in leading Frankfurt to a 7-3 record this spring. While not blessed with an especially strong arm, O'Sullivan is very accurate, and is most effective in a West Coast-style offense.

A sixth-round pick of the Saints in the 2002 draft, O'Sullivan has spent time on rosters in New Orleans (2002-2003), Green Bay (2004), Minnesota (2005), New England (2006) and Carolina (2006). He has served as the No. 3 or "emergency" quarterback for teams in 55 games, but has appeared in just one regular-season contest in a mop-up role for the Packers in 2004. He did not record a pass attempt in that game.

The former Cal-Davis star has now been released four times and traded once.

Len Pasquarelli is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Green Bud Packer
07-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Poor J.T.,now he's going to have to get a real job.

gbpackfan
07-08-2007, 10:16 PM
He sucks. End of story.

oregonpackfan
07-08-2007, 11:17 PM
When you can't provide adequate competition for the likes of Rex Grossman, you know you don't belong in the NFL! :roll:

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 11:38 AM
He sucks. End of story.

Actually, Frankfurt was my team. I watched them every Saturday Night. He didn't suck.

Still, might be end of story, but you don't get MVP if you suck. Not beven in EuropA.

pittstang5
07-09-2007, 12:02 PM
He sucks. End of story.

Actually, Frankfurt was my team. I watched them every Saturday Night. He didn't suck.

Still, might be end of story, but you don't get MVP if you suck. Not beven in EuropA.

I caught a couple of the games. I too didn't think he sucked and was surprised he was released. I can't imagine we won't show up on anyone's roster for TC. He might not make the final cut, but I'll think someone might pick him up for a camp body.

Pacopete4
07-09-2007, 01:56 PM
cant wait til TT picks him up.. :x

retailguy
07-09-2007, 01:57 PM

Nah... He was here when Sherman was here... Thompson WON'T want him.

Rest easy. :wink:

gbpackfan
07-09-2007, 03:19 PM
He sucks. End of story.

Tarlam,

I'm not trying to bash your team but J.T. does "suck" via NFL standards. He may have played okay in NFL Europa but so what. Yeah, some NFLE QBs become successful in the NFL but J.T. won't be one of them. I watched him play with the Packers and he just doesnt have it. So in my humble opinion, he sucks. And if he was the starting QB of the Packers, we would be in a world of trouble.

Tarlam!
07-09-2007, 03:21 PM

We're in good shape as it is, but the guy is not a waste of a roster spot. That's all I'm saying. commanded the huddle, he connected on vital passes. Frankfuft changed the game plans mid season from a run to a pass offense - due to this guys ability.

Let's, as real fans, acknowledge a guy who played his heart .

Scott Campbell
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM

Dear Scott Wells,

Watch your back. Ted Thompson hates you because the Shermanator drafted you, and he's plotting to rid the team of all his draft choices. It does not matter how hard you practice, or how well you play. Your days are numbered as a Packer.

Sincerely,

PackerRats Conspiracy Pals (PCP)

the_idle_threat
07-09-2007, 04:21 PM
Kurt Warner didn't "have it" either back when he was in training camp with the Packers.

the_idle_threat
07-09-2007, 04:23 PM

Dear Scott Wells,

Watch your back. Ted Thompson hates you because the Shermanator drafted you, and he's plotting to rid the team of all his draft choices. It does not matter how hard you practice, or how well you play. Your days are numbered as a Packer.

Sincerely,

PackerRats Conspiracy Pals (PCP)

Better CC Kampman on this message while you're at it. :)

BooHoo
07-09-2007, 07:37 PM
It will be interesting to see if some team will pick J.T. up!

Rastak
07-09-2007, 07:53 PM

I think the Lions already did, poor saps.....

esoxx
07-09-2007, 08:24 PM
Kurt Warner didn't "have it" either back when he was in training camp with the Packers.

Yeah, but that has nothing to do with JT O'Sullivan.

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 08:55 PM

Life of the recycled backups; he might hook on somewhere.

Honestly, Is JT OSullivan any better or worse than Ingle my favorite Martin ?? :?:

esoxx
07-09-2007, 10:22 PM

Life of the recycled backups; he might hook on somewhere.

Honestly, Is JT OSullivan any better or worse than Ingle my favorite Martin ?? :?:

Probably not. But one thing about Martin is no one really knows what he is at this point whereas O'Sullivan's book has been written.

Overall, third string QB's typically just fade away. There's always exceptions from time to time. Maybe Martin is that exception. The kool-aid drinkers in here probably think so.

Fritz
07-10-2007, 09:03 AM
I wonder what kind of living a guy like JT O'Sullivan or Sullivan or whatever his name is makes...he's got to know he's a career "I'm competing for the third string" kind of guy, so he goes to NFLE to make a few more bucks, I suppose. I wonder what kind of living he makes. Must be kinda cool to do, though.

Joemailman
07-10-2007, 12:27 PM

I think the Lions already did, poor saps.....

Indeed.

http://www.realfootball365.com/nfl/articles/2007/07/lions_sign_europa_immigrant_os.html

Carolina_Packer
07-10-2007, 12:38 PM
So now he's officially been with every single NFC North team! Way to go, J.T.

J.T. (Just Terminated)

BooHoo
07-10-2007, 03:03 PM
Maybe he is after the award for being signed by the most teams. :)

KYPack
07-10-2007, 04:08 PM
So now he's officially been with every single NFC North team! Way to go, J.T.

J.T. (Just Terminated)

That is some kind of an accomplishment.

How many guys have done this?

JT can't be the only one!