PDA

View Full Version : Harry Sydney's opinions on GB's Round 1 pick

motife
03-31-2006, 06:46 PM
Date: Mar 31, 2006

Former Packers fullback and assistant coach Harry Sydney offers his thoughts on which players the Packers should consider selecting with the fifth overall pick of the upcoming NFL Draft. Sydney also details a scenario in which the Packers should trade down and obtain more selections to fulfill the team's many needs.

I thought I would remind everyone that the real future of the Green Bay Packers will be determined with their picks in this year’s NFL Draft. Everywhere we turn we all are being consumed with Brett Favre and all the issues that come with him. Guess what? The Green Bay Packers have no control over that, but they do have some control over who they will pick with their first pick in the 2006 NFL Draft!!!!
Just who will that be? I know they really don't know at this time, but I also know that Ted Thompson and the guys on the Packers brass have played every scenario in their head as well as on the big board in the draft room. On that board they have every player that will be in the draft, they believe, as well as every round they feel each player will be selected.

Everyone in the world knows what the Packers need and want and that's Mario Williams, the defensive end from North Carolina State. If they could get him at the fifth pick the draft would be a success, but I don't think that is going to happen so what do they do next? If Mario Williams isn't there the only other guy that would make me stay there would be Vince Young. I would take him in a second because he is a difference-maker, a game changer.

I know that this team took Aaron Rodgers last year, but they can't let that stop them from taking Vince. I don't care about some stupid Wonderlic test that really had nothing to do with football. I saw this guy dissect the USC Trojans on the biggest stage of college football - the Rose Bowl - and he made it look easy. Let's not forget that he faced Pete Carroll, a former head coach of the NFL that had over a month to design a defense to stop him, but still couldn't get it done. Remember, he's a defensive-minded coach. Think about how much pressure Michael Vick puts on defensive coordinators. Vince Young is a bigger, better version. Not only that does anyone remember when the Packers took Tony Mandarich over Barry Sanders? Talk about a MISTAKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What do they do if one of these two guys aren't there? I've looked at many mock drafts and it scares me. Their is one guy that keeps showing up on 90% of them and that's A.J. Hawk, and I wonder what all the hype is all about. He's a good linebacker, but I don't' think he's worth being taken as the fifth pick. He's not a difference-maker. This team doesn't need another Nick Barnett, and that's who I think he is. Hawk is a good player, excellent running side to side, and plays aggressively downhill, but the problem is he is light in the butt. The NFL guards are more athletic and more physical than anything he would have ever faced in college. He's good, but not a fifth pick.

So, let's hope Vince Young is there, but if not let's just move out of that spot and entertain other offers because, unfortunately, there are enough holes to fill. Please understand that I have nothing against Aaron Rodgers. He didn't ask the Packers to take him with their first pick. He might be a great or good quarterback in the future no one knows what he can really do which, like I've said, isn't his fault. But then again to have two quarterbacks for the future of this organization really wouldn't be a bad idea anyway, especially when they don't really have any proven guards to protect either one of them as I see it.

So where do they go from here? Do they go for need or do they go for best available athlete? What about Vernon Davis from Maryland? How would he fit in a Packer uniform because even though they signed Bubba Franks for big money, their is a need for a tight end that can stretch the field and this guy can certainly do that. But then again is this the guy? What about a running back? How confident are the Packers in Ahman Green, Samkon Gado and Najeh Davenport with all of them coming back from season ending injuries. I'm a Lendale White fan myself. I can see this guy carrying the ball 25 times a game with no problem and getting better the more he carries. In my opinion he's the best back in the draft, even better than his teammate Reggie Bush.

If it wasn't for the Packers signing Ryan Pickett I would be even considering Haloti Ngata, a DT from Oregon.

As you can see this might be the most pivotal moment for the future of the Green Bay Packers and there are a lot of holes that need to be filled. Nobody is exactly sure what direction they’ll take. Should we as fans panic? Should we be concerned with the direction of this team? Even though I thought they would be more active in free agency, and they haven't, I can't let that influence my opinions on what they will do in the draft, can I?

GoPackGo
03-31-2006, 06:50 PM
I wouldn't be mad at them for taking Vince Young, The ensuing QB battle would be alot of fun to watch.

Rastak
03-31-2006, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't be mad at them for taking Vince Young, The ensuing QB battle would be alot of fun to watch.

That would be a facinating move, that's for sure.

oregonpackfan
03-31-2006, 10:21 PM
Vince Young WAS a difference-maker, a game-changer as a college quarterback.

One of his strongest assets, perhaps his strongest asset, is his ability to run with the football. Most NFL coaches do not want their QB to consistently run with the ball due to risk of injury.

Though Young will make it at the pro level, I don't think he will be nearly as effective as he was in college.

As far as Haloti Ngata goes, I have posted several times at different Packer forums that I do not think Ngata merits first round consideration for ANY pro team, much less the Packers.

Though the guy is very strong and quick for his size, he is very inconsistent in his level of play. In a recent article to The Oregonian, even he admitted to the press that he didn't always put forth full effort in games. In studying game films, a number of NFL scouts have noticed his inconsistent effort, dedication, and passion for the game.

I have watched Ngata play for the Ducks the past few years. He can dominate the line of scrimmage or he can be a non-factor in the game's outcome.

If the Packers draft Ngata, they will be drafting a clone of Cletidus Hunt, IMHO.

Oregonpackfan

MadtownPacker
03-31-2006, 11:10 PM
I dont care if it's Rodgers, Young or even Favre. If your D doesnt take pressure off the O to score it's going to be tough throwing the ball. Gotta go D no matter what. Trade dont and load up in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 11:14 PM
I dont care if it's Rodgers, Young or even Favre. If your D doesnt take pressure off the O to score it's going to be tough throwing the ball. Gotta go D no matter what. Trade dont and load up in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

I do beleive the theory that you draft more guys you will hit on more good players is a good one. I thought that this draft was supposed to be really deep?

MadtownPacker
03-31-2006, 11:27 PM
[q
I do beleive the theory that you draft more guys you will hit on more good players is a good one. I thought that this draft was supposed to be really deep?[/quote]

TT does too. Team needs some depth and this is the perfect draft to do it.

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 11:41 PM
Well I won't get my heart set on a player then. :?

MadtownPacker
03-31-2006, 11:46 PM

I just want to see a bad azz defense. As long as the first is for that side of the ball I wont care who it is.

billy_oliver880
03-31-2006, 11:56 PM

I just want to see a bad azz defense. As long as the first is for that side of the ball I wont care who it is.

I say no to Ngata. Thats the only guy I wouldn't want on our defense.

packrulz
04-01-2006, 04:56 AM
I think Huff would be a solid pick, the secondary needs to improve. Hawk is good but there will be good LB's in round 2.