PDA

View Full Version : PACKERS ADD PLAYER !!

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 07:01 PM
Packers add international player

The Green Bay Packers were one of 11 teams to receive an international player as part of the NFL International Development Practice Squad Program, the league announced today.

Carl-Johan Bjork (YO-han b-YORK), a native of Stockholm, Sweden, will join the Packers in training camp and remain on the practice squad throughout the season.

Bjork, a 6-foot, 247-pound linebacker, is participating in the program for a second season, having spent the 2006 season with the Dallas Cowboys. He spent three seasons with the Amsterdam Admirals (2005-'07).

Bjork will not count against the team's eight-player practice squad roster, but is eligible to participate in practice and in preseason games.

Eleven players from five countries will join teams in the AFC East, AFC South and NFC North divisions.

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 07:02 PM
DOES THIS COUNT AS A FREE AGENT ??????????/

:wait: :?: COME ON TED :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

MJZiggy
07-09-2007, 07:05 PM
Well, he wasn't drafted, or traded, but then again there have been lots of free agents that haven't been good enough for you this year...

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 07:43 PM
Well, he wasn't drafted, or traded, but then again there have been lots of free agents that haven't been good enough for you this year...

My money says you could not name one beyond the backup CB w/o looking further on the Internet for the undrafted guys :?:

KYPack
07-09-2007, 07:56 PM
Yer sick, B.

That's OK.

I like that in a man.

MJZiggy
07-09-2007, 08:05 PM
Paul Thompson. I'll take payment in the form of drinks at the posters game...

J-Rok
07-09-2007, 08:48 PM
Hm, you would think the Vikings would want him. A real Viking on the team.

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 08:56 PM
Paul Thompson. I'll take payment in the form of drinks at the posters game...

You looked it up :lol:

Just another example of chicks trying to get their booze paid for by a guy

MJZiggy
07-09-2007, 08:58 PM
Nope, sorry. He's one of the few players we've actually heard any OTA news about this spring...

Fine. Forget the drinks. The money will do nicely...

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 09:03 PM
Nope, sorry. He's one of the few players we've actually heard any OTA news about this spring...

I'd rather get a girl looped then give money; she'll just buy :laugh: SHOES

Still don't buy you knew him though; he's not even on the team anymore.

MJZiggy
07-09-2007, 09:04 PM

I'd rather get a girl looped then give money; she'll just buy :laugh: SHOES

Still don't buy you knew him though; he's not even on the team anymore.

Shoes... :roll: I thought you knew me better than that, B. When did he get cut? I don't remember reading about that... Who picked him up?

esoxx
07-09-2007, 10:26 PM
I had high hopes for Paul Thompson this year. :x

OS PA
07-09-2007, 10:33 PM

My money says you could not name one beyond the backup CB w/o looking further on the Internet for the undrafted guys :?:

Rory Johnson?

Freak Out
07-09-2007, 10:43 PM
Bjork? She is a twisted wench but I never knew she played LB.

Joemailman
07-09-2007, 11:45 PM

Opposing ball carriers will tremble in fear:

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2006/08/30/bjork31806_wideweb__470x333,0.jpg

GrnBay007
07-09-2007, 11:59 PM

Is that the bride of Chucky? :shock:

oregonpackfan
07-10-2007, 12:19 AM
I think she is the replacement for Rosie O"Donnell on The View. :)

Zool
07-10-2007, 09:12 AM

Opposing ball carriers will tremble in fear:

FINALLY Bjork is on a roster somewhere. We've been needing a 5' tall Icelandic woman wearing a swan dress.

MJZiggy
07-10-2007, 09:22 AM
But B, you didn't answer my question: when did Paul Thompson get cut? What happened?

Joemailman
07-10-2007, 10:03 AM
Paul Thompson is still listed on the Packers roster. I think B just made that up. He is bitter because TT kept Thompson and dumped Stocco.

Carolina_Packer
07-10-2007, 11:06 AM
Yeah, why sign Thompson as a FA and then cut him before camp? Hard to imagine you'd see enough of him in the spring drills to make a determination as to whether he could push Ingle Martin.

CaliforniaCheez
07-10-2007, 12:34 PM
Sometimes a GM has to cut his loses. A player can be worse than advertized.

Ever been to an all you can eat buffet for $6.99 and but $2.59 is all you can stand?? Sometimes bad is bad.

Fritz
07-10-2007, 12:42 PM
MJ, I'm guessing Bretsky would rather buy you shoes 'cuz that's what he'd prefer to see you in...and I bet he's not thinking tennis shoes, either.

I bet Bjork could kick some butt.

mngolf19
07-10-2007, 01:14 PM
Hm, you would think the Vikings would want him. A real Viking on the team.

Vikes picked up an OL from Finland this same way yesterday. He played at Nebraska and then in Europe. Surprised more teams didn't try this approach.

Tyrone Bigguns
07-10-2007, 01:57 PM
All teams are welcome to do this. Our player was with the cowboys previously.

They don't count on the roster. It is all just MARKETING.

Bretsky
07-10-2007, 05:18 PM
Paul Thompson is still listed on the Packers roster. I think B just made that up. He is bitter because TT kept Thompson and dumped Stocco.

I am still bitter about that

Bretsky
07-10-2007, 05:20 PM
MJ, I'm guessing Bretsky would rather buy you shoes 'cuz that's what he'd prefer to see you in...and I bet he's not thinking tennis shoes, either.

I bet Bjork could kick some butt.

Stripper Shoes Fritz; they'd add a good five inches to her

MJZiggy
07-10-2007, 05:41 PM
Damn. I thought you were gonna offer me a nice pair of hiking boots...

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2007, 09:43 PM
More from international waters

I traded e-mails today with Michael Signora, the NFL's director of media relations and international communications, about the International Development Practice Squad Program that has placed Swedish linebacker Carl-Johan Bjork with the Packers for the upcoming season.

A few nuggets worth noting:
-- The league assigns players to teams by division "to maintain equity and balance among the clubs." This year it's the NFC North, AFC East and AFC South, completing the tour of all eight divisions since the program's inception in 2004.
-- The international players' salaries are paid by the league, not the respective NFL clubs, and are the same as those of regular practice-squad players.
-- Now that all teams have had an opportunity to participate, "an evaluation of the program is ongoing."

With NFL Europa folded, it will be interesting to see whether the league might significantly expand the initiative, or perhaps scrap it in favor of an exemption for any team that wants to carry a foreign player on its practice squad. The latter option could become a fantastic marketing tool, especially with the league moving regular-season games overseas.

For anyone who didn't see it elsewhere, here's the full list of participants. (Note: Bill Belichick's New England Patriots apparently weren't interested. With Brandon Meriweather and Randy Moss on the roster, the idea probably had international incident written all over it anyway.)

NFC NORTH
RB Jermaine Allen (United Kingdom), Chicago Bears
LB Carl-Johan Bjork (Sweden), Green Bay Packers
T Seppo Ewvaraye (Finland), Minnesota Vikings
DT Salomon Solano (Mexico), Detroit Lions

AFC EAST
WR Marvin Allen (United Kingdom), Miami Dolphins
WR Iiro Luoto (Finland), New York Jets
DE Daniel Watts (United Kingdom), Buffalo Bills

AFC South
LB Eduardo Castaneda (Mexico), Houston Texans
T Samuel Gutekunst (Germany), Jacksonville Jaguars
DE Ben Ishola (Germany), Indianapolis Colts
DE Ulrich Winkler (Germany), Tennessee Titans

-- Tom Pelissero, tpelisse@greenbaypressgazette.com

Rastak
07-11-2007, 07:15 AM
More from international waters

(Note: Bill Belichick's New England Patriots apparently weren't interested. With Brandon Meriweather and Randy Moss on the roster, the idea probably had international incident written all over it anyway.)

It's a league initiative and they say no thanks? If I were the league office I'd make it mandatory and tell 'em it ain't optional. No participate, no 7th round pick next year.

Tarlam!
07-15-2007, 07:07 AM
I had high hopes for Paul Thompson this year. :x"Thompson was a backup quarterback at Oklahoma who moved to wide receiver as a junior. But when starter Rhett Bomar was dismissed from the team last fall, Thompson took over and threw for 22 TDs and completed 60.7% of his passes.

"He's very athletic, everything our scouts said about him," McCarthy said of Thompson."

Until Thursday last week, he was still in the press....