PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Hitter

Bretsky
07-09-2007, 09:59 PM
The Green Bay defense has never been one to intimidate or put fear into opposing offenses.

When I think of past players that intimidated and had no fear to lay the opposition out, I think Wayne Simmons and Chuck Cecil.

Than I go to the present, and ponder. Curious as to viewpoints on this. Occasionally Manuel will put a crunch on somebody, Collins as well.

Who is our hardest hitter, and what other players would receive honorable mention ??

I keep coming back to AJ Hawk, who we've only seen in Green n Gold for a year

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-09-2007, 10:14 PM
It's either Collins or Hawk. I am leaning a little more towards Collins because I have seem him make some nice hits on occasion. Like you said though, maybe Hawk will develop more and become a dominant hitter.

Iron Mike
07-09-2007, 11:21 PM
The Green Bay defense has never been one to intimidate or put fear into opposing offenses.

When I think of past players that intimidated and had no fear to lay the opposition out, I think Wayne Simmons.

1/6/96. Remember his hit on 49er Adam Walker?? :worship:

PlantPage55
07-09-2007, 11:38 PM
Collins right now. Although, Hawk WILL be the one this season, I think. I think he'll be much more comfortable out there.

Collins gets major props from me still after that hit he put on Chad Johnson in his rookie season, where he made him drop the ball.

Joemailman
07-09-2007, 11:39 PM
Right now I would say Hawk. However, Cullen Jenkins could get some good blind-side hits on QB's from the RDE position. Rouse certainly has the size and speed to be an intimidating force, but we'll have to see how that works out.

oregonpackfan
07-10-2007, 12:08 AM
A. J. Hawk is by far the hardest hitter on the Packers, IMO.

RashanGary
07-10-2007, 06:00 AM
Collins first, Hawk 2nd.

I'd say Hawk would be a bigger hitter if he could get it going full speed right into someone. I think bigger guys have a hard time getting it going full steam becuase at some point you have to adjust and big guys usually have to slow down a little to adjust. Collins isn't huge but he's compact and he throws his body around. He gets more solid hits.

wist43
07-10-2007, 07:11 AM
Packers don't have any hitters...

As you guys have pointed out, Collins will deliver the occasional hit, but I don't view him as a hitter; and, Hawk is a tough player, but I don't view him as a hitter either.

The Packers have dedicated themselves to playing wussball type defense for so many years that it's ingrained in the organization.

Hard hits are unnecessary and impolite. Drag down tackling, on the other end... much more the Packers style.

BallHawk
07-10-2007, 08:28 AM
Back in the day, Ahmad Carroll caused a few concusions. :wink: :wink:

It's probably Hawk, but Collins and Marviel Underwood can hit, too.

Fritz
07-10-2007, 09:00 AM
You could do the all-wussball team...start with that old corner they had back in the 90's, Tyrone something-or-other. Add Antuan/Antwan Edwards. Go to that other third round guy that Shermy picked, Marques Anderson (I think that's his name). I like Nick Barnett but he's not a very physical guy. Add him.

Who am I missing?

Zool
07-10-2007, 09:25 AM
You could do the all-wussball team...start with that old corner they had back in the 90's, Tyrone something-or-other. Add Antuan/Antwan Edwards. Go to that other third round guy that Shermy picked, Marques Anderson (I think that's his name). I like Nick Barnett but he's not a very physical guy. Add him.

Who am I missing?The guy that got traded to Seattle for Green hit like a feather if i recall.

Joemailman
07-10-2007, 09:41 AM
T-Buck should be the captain of the All-Wussball team.

Harlan Huckleby
07-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Packers don't have any hitters...

As you guys have pointed out, Collins will deliver the occasional hit, but I don't view him as a hitter; and, Hawk is a tough player, but I don't view him as a hitter either.

I have to agree. But there aren't that many hitters in the whole NFL, it's more of a grab-and-drag-um-down league, probably because the running backs are so quick and elusive. There's more head-banging in college.

What passes for hard-hitting in the NFL is DBs nailing vulnerable receivers in the back when they're up in the air trying to catch a pass.

run pMc
07-10-2007, 10:12 AM
I'm with wist, the Packers don't really have any big hitters.

I'm not sure I'd call it wussball, though. A lot of the so-called big hitters go for the killshot and whiff. Then you have the guys like Roy Williams (DAL) who can hit like a LB but can't cover anybody. I'd rather have players who can cover and make a sure tackle than play big-hit-or-miss.
My personal preference, though.

MadtownPacker
07-10-2007, 11:07 AM
Collins gets major props from me still after that hit he put on Chad Johnson in his rookie season, where he made him drop the ball.
Yup, Collins without a doubt. If I recall he leveled CJ more then once that game. Between that and Shutdown Al blanketing him, CJ kept his mouth shut after that game. :lol:

Carolina_Packer
07-10-2007, 12:30 PM
Do you think big hits really intimidate? I wonder. I think guys think about staying healthy, staying on the field. As a player you can live to be on the "Jacked Up" segment, but I'd be happy if we had sure tacklers and assignment sure players. Boring, yes, flashy, no.

I'd like to know which Packer everyone thinks is the surest tackler they've seen (as far back as you can recall). LeRoy Butler was pretty good.