PDA

View Full Version : Positional Rankings

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-10-2007, 12:14 PM
Here is some interesting rankings:

By Clark Judge
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer

DE

1. Julius Peppers, Carolina: He's always around the ball, producing a team-high 13 sacks, 38 quarterback hits, three forced fumbles and two recoveries. What I like most is that he never leaves the field. He can play the run. He's a top pass rusher. He can drop into coverage. And he's adept at batting down passes, with a team-high 12 last season.

2. Jason Taylor, Miami: The NFL Defensive Player of the Year at 32, and, yes, there's a reason. He's a ferocious pass rusher who disrupts everything. Tackles. Forced fumbles. Sacks. You name it. Hey, he even scored twice last year -- half the total of Chris Chambers. He has outstanding speed and quickness and has made himself into a decent run defender.

3. Dwight Freeney, Indianapolis: So he didn't have a great season. He has produced four in a row of double-digit sacks and led the club in pressures last year with 33. He's fast, quick and tenacious and hasn't missed a game in three years. One critic labeled him as one-dimensional, but so what? He explodes to the pocket and is brutal to defend.

4. Aaron Kampman, Green Bay: I love this guy's motor. He always, always is working. You have to love his productivity, too. He was second in the NFL in sacks in 2006 with 15.5 and was the Packers' third-leading tackler. Translation: He plays the run as well as the pass.

5. Will Smith, New Orleans: He was named to the Pro Bowl because he's the top defender on a club that didn't play much defense in 2006. I know, you want to talk about Charles Grant, and he's solid. But Smith is quick, pursues well, reads well, works hard and produces. Look at last year's stats: He led the Saints in sacks, not Grant.

Next best: Alex Brown, Chicago -- There is talent all around the Bears defense, with Brown and Tommie Harris the team's top linemen. He's quick, physical and accelerates to ball carriers. Plus, he's a two-way defensive end. He can rush the pocket and is solid against the run.

CB

1. Champ Bailey, Denver: The closest thing to a cover corner, he's so good that opponents try not to throw in his direction anymore. Still, they threw enough last season that he had 10 interceptions –- a testament to his hands, speed and ability to cover. His feet might be his biggest asset, with scouts impressed with the guy's quickness and change of direction.

2. Nate Clements, San Francisco: He has the size, speed, quickness and change of direction you look for at the position. Plus, he can play either side. He's tough, unafraid to make tackles and has excellent ball skills. No wonder the 49ers made him a rich man in the offseason.

3. Chris McAlister, Baltimore: There are a couple of things I like about this guy: 1) his size and 2) his ability to play press coverage. His long arms are an advantage, as his ability to make tackles. Sure, he's older, but he's consistent and is outstanding in bump-and-run coverage.

4. Terence Newman, Dallas: When you watch the Cowboys, the first thing you notice is opponents trying to exploit Anthony Henry. That speaks to their respect for Newman, who can fly and match up with any receiver -– either on the outside or in the slot. Hey, he once was matched with Atlanta tight end Alge Crumpler. Newman is an outstanding athlete who's unafraid to play the run.

5. Dunta Robinson, Houston: He doesn't get much attention because he plays on a dreadful team, but Robinson is legit. He's fast, physical, has good hands and reads well. He's also a hard worker. You will hear more of him if the Texans ever discover what it's like to have a winning season.

Next best: Rashean Mathis, Jacksonville –- I once watched this guy against Tennessee, and nobody could make a play on him. He has great size and is fast, quick, physical and instinctive. Plus, he has great ball skills, with 18 interceptions the past three seasons –- including eight last year.

S

1. Ed Reed, Baltimore: A big-time hitter who can cover the field. Like teammate Ray Lewis, he's slowing down, but he's smart, anticipates plays, has good range and reads quarterbacks as well as anyone in the game. He's also a great technician and a team leader.

2. Brian Dawkins, Philadelphia: Two years ago, he was supposed to be slipping. Yeah, sure. He might not have the quickest feet, but so what? He's smart, anticipates plays and rarely is caught out of position. He's also the quarterback of a defense that propelled the Eagles to division championships five of the past six years.

3. Adrian Wilson, Arizona: Pete loves this guy, and I can see why. He's murder on quarterbacks, whether it's sacking them or picking them off. He's physical, has outstanding speed and decent range. Plus, he's a hard worker. He was named to his first Pro Bowl last season, and it's about time.

4. Dawan Landry, Baltimore: The brother of Redskins' rookie LaRon, he is smart, physical and instinctive. He's OK in coverage, but, at 220 pounds, is a force in the box. I was reticent to put him here, but I had a couple scouts insist that he belongs. "He plays like a seasoned vet," said one.

5. Kerry Rhodes, N.Y. Jets: He's a secret outside of New York, but that won't last. Rhodes has great size, good range and good speed. He's also fluid, able to turn out of his backpedal to cover a deep receiver. The Jets kept moving people in and out of the position until he showed up, and watch him. You'll discover why.

Next best: Troy Polamalu, Pittsburgh -- I would've liked to have had him higher, Steelers' fans, but he just didn't have a good season. I know, he played hurt. The guy is tough, but he didn't play well. He makes it here because he's someone opponents must watch. He's physical, can cover the field and is the leader of the Pittsburgh defense.

QB

1. Peyton Manning, Indianapolis: His Super Bowl ring clinches his spot here at the top.

2. Tom Brady, New England: He's not far behind. In fact, it's 1 and 1A.

3. Carson Palmer, Cincinnati: Now that he's a year removed from the knee injury, he should be even better in 2007.

4. Drew Brees, New Orleans: He is the perfect fit for the Sean Payton offense. He has the ability to find the right guy and get it out on time.

5. Donovan McNabb, Philadelphia: Even coming off an injury-marred season, he's still one of the league's best.

Next best: Marc Bulger, Rams -- It isn't always pretty, but he gets the job done. Bulger knows where to go with the football as well as anybody, which is why he has had so much success.

HB

1. LaDainian Tomlinson, San Diego: There is no debate at all who should top this list. He has a chance to break all the rushing records if he can stay healthy.

2. Larry Johnson, Kansas City: He's had two really big back-to-back seasons, proving that he isn't a one-year wonder.

3. Frank Gore, San Francisco: His breakout season came in 2006 and now he needs to show he wasn't a one-hit wonder. The bet here is that he isn't.

4. Steven Jackson, St. Louis: He was fifth in the league in rushing last season, but he also caught 90 passes.

5. Fred Taylor, Jacksonville: He averaged 5 yards per carry last season, rushing for 1,146 yards.

Next best: Brian Westbrook, Philadelphia -- He proved to a lot of doubters last year that he can carry a full load. He's also one of the best pass-catching backs in the league.

WR

1. Chad Johnson, Cincinnati: His 15.7 per-catch average was the best among the league's best receivers. That's why he is tops on this list.

2. Andre Johnson, Houston: He's big and strong and fast. He doesn't get the due he deserves.

3. Torry Holt, St. Louis: For some reason, he doesn't get the attention he deserves. He's right there near the top.

4. Steve Smith, Carolina: When he was slowed by injury, it really affected the Panthers offense. When he's on the field, he is a game-breaker.

5. Marvin Harrison, Indianapolis: He's consistently among the top receivers in the league. At some point, though, he will start to slow down.

Next best: Larry Fitzgerald, Arizona -- He will be Matt Leinart's go-to guy for a long time. The Cardinals should have a dominant passing game in large part because of him.

HarveyWallbangers
07-10-2007, 01:50 PM
Most are pretty good, but I don't think Nate Clements is the #2 corner. I don't think Dawan Landry deserves a top 5 ranking at safety. I wouldn't put Fred Taylor in the top 5 at RB either. Part of being a top 5 RB is staying healthy.

pittstang5
07-10-2007, 04:32 PM
As usual, no love for Al Harris. At least Hall didn't make the list.

BallHawk
07-10-2007, 04:42 PM
I'd put Bulger at #3, ahead of Palmer and McNabb.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-10-2007, 05:21 PM

Nah I think he's about right. He is definitely not over Palmer.

Bretsky
07-10-2007, 05:22 PM

You are a McNabb hater. I'm a Ram guy but still think of Bulger in either the five or six slot

superfan
07-11-2007, 01:10 AM
Can't agree with Fred Taylor at #5 HB - he may not even be the primary RB on his team, I see Maurice Jones-Drew getting the bulk of the action this year.

I would replace Taylor with Shaun Alexander.

wist43
07-11-2007, 07:01 AM
Yeah, Taylor doesn't belong on the list...

Way too many Packers on there... SB is a lock!!!