PDA

View Full Version : Don't quit yet, Brett - Perloff

packers11
07-10-2007, 04:48 PM
http://www.fannation.com/blogs/post/36291

Don't quit yet, Brett
about 1 hour ago :: 367 Views
I don't understand why people say Brett Favre should retire. I know no one wants to see him go out a loser, but consider the alternative in Green Bay. When he retires, the Packers will be unwatchable for about a decade. That's why I'm as frustrated as Favre that Green Bay opted to take the long-term approach this offseason instead of gearing up for a one- or two-year run at the playoffs.

Few teams enter the 2007 season with a more questionable set of talent players than the Packers. Try to name a more obscure running back tandem in today's NFL than Vernand Morency and Brandon Jackson. The top two receivers, Donald Driver and Greg Jennings, are OK but don't scare defensive coordinators. Ruvell Martin, Robert Ferguson and James Jones lead a motley crew competing for the No. 3 spot.

The NFC North is vulnerable this season and with just a little more help, Favre might have had a shot to lead the Packers to a division title. The Bears have had an abysmal offseason and face the Super Bowl loser jinx, the Lions have many of the same flaws that riddled them last season, and the Vikings' starting QB is Tarvaris Jackson.

But the way the Packers are currently constructed, they won't improve on last year's 8-8 mark. In fact, they're likely to slip a bit because they have a brutal out-of-division schedule in '07. The Packers drew the AFC West this season and face out-of-division NFC defenses (Carolina, Dallas, Philly) that could cause Favre problems.

Even if Green Bay isn't great, I'll still enjoy watching Favre break the all-time touchdown and passing yardage marks. Favre brings some emotion, big plays and a sense of history. And most importantly, he delays having to watch Aaron Rodgers throw to Ruvell Martin in Green Bay on a weekly basis.

Joemailman
07-10-2007, 05:05 PM
Another genius who thinks the Packers would never win a game if it weren't for Favre. Yawn.

packinpatland
07-10-2007, 06:38 PM
I've never considered myself a genius :wink: , but ok.

The Leaper
07-11-2007, 09:14 AM
But the way the Packers are currently constructed, they won't improve on last year's 8-8 mark. In fact, they're likely to slip a bit because they have a brutal out-of-division schedule in '07. The Packers drew the AFC West this season and face out-of-division NFC defenses (Carolina, Dallas, Philly) that could cause Favre problems.

This could arguably be a reason IN FAVOR of Thompson not throwing a bunch of money and effort at short term fixes...especially if he feels (like I do) that Favre potentially could play another 2-3 years.

I agree completely that the schedule this year will be MUCH tougher. We were a 6 win team talent-wise last year that played a +2 win schedule. We could easily be an 8 win team talent-wise this year that will play a -1 or -2 win schedule.

By the numbers, our team will be stepping back...but in reality they will be stepping forward. This is a great year to evaluate all of the young talent Thompson has brought in against good competition. Many of the questions in terms of who is going to step forward will be answered fully by December...so we will know exactly what areas we need to address in free agency.

packrat
07-11-2007, 09:22 AM
Don't underestimate what a dominant defense can do for a team with mediocre offensive talent. It is a pleasure to see someone rebuild the defense after years of frustration at seeing Bret have to be a gunslinger to try to stay in a game. Now, those who think we should have added a couple of playmakers on offense out of free agency would have a lot more credibility if they could name just what free agents were out there that would have made a big difference. For instance, let's see just how well Moss does at New England. My prediction is that he will be about as much help as TO was to the Cowboys.

The Leaper
07-11-2007, 09:33 AM
For instance, let's see just how well Moss does at New England. My prediction is that he will be about as much help as TO was to the Cowboys.

Well, if Moss catches 13 TDs in 2007, as Owens did for Dallas in 2006...the Patsies are winning the Super Bowl.

The Pats are a more complete team from top to bottom...and have a franchise caliber QB leading them.

BallHawk
07-11-2007, 09:43 AM
We'll have to see with Moss. I'm 50/50 if he does well.

Rastak
07-11-2007, 12:16 PM
We'll have to see with Moss. I'm 50/50 if he does well.

Yea, that's about where I am at.....50/50....maybe 60/40 in favor of Moss....not much more than that.

MJZiggy
07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
Considering your vitriol towards the man, Ras, I'd say that's pretty generous...

Rastak
07-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Considering your vitriol towards the man, Ras, I'd say that's pretty generous...

See, here's the thing, I always liked Randy, what I was trying to point out many times is the guy may be a decent teammate and locker room guy but he ouright dogs it when it suits him and his walking off the field with the game on the line cannot be forgiven.

I also think he's lost a step and a bit injury prone now so perhaps I am being too generous.....

4and12to12and4
07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
I know this is a stupid way of looking at it, because winning Superbowls is the only thing that matters in the NFL, but, who here doesn't want Brett to retire having broken all of Marino's records? If Favre doesn't win another Superbowl, I want him to at least be number one in just about every important QB stat imaginable. And, next, I hope that Peyton gets injured and his career ends so that 9 years from now, he doesn't take over all Favre's records. :duel:

Sorry, but this is the biggest reason I want Favre back this season, not to mention, Rodgers just doesn't seem to have the mojo to win a Superbowl, I would've been very happy if we would've picked Quinn in the draft. IMO, we will regret that as we did when we passed on Barry Sanders for Mr. Steroids.

The Leaper
07-12-2007, 08:40 AM
IMO, we will regret that as we did when we passed on Barry Sanders for Mr. Steroids.

Umm...Brady Quinn is never going to come close to being the equal of Sanders.

Rastak
07-12-2007, 09:19 AM
I know this is a stupid way of looking at it, <snip> And, next, I hope that Peyton gets injured and his career ends so that 9 years from now, he doesn't take over all Favre's records. :duel:

That's real nice.....