PDA

View Full Version : Question about compensatory picks.

Patler
04-30-2006, 04:56 PM
Why are some listed as a "Compensatory Selection" and others as a "Supplemental Compensatory Selection"?

swede
04-30-2006, 05:13 PM
One, apparently, as 7th round compensation for lost FA's, means "squat". The other means "less than squat".

Merlin
04-30-2006, 05:45 PM
I found this on Yahoo:

A free agent is a player whose contract has expired and is eligible to sign with another team. A restricted free agent is a player for whom another team can make an offer, but his current team is allowed to match that offer. If the current team chooses not to match the offer, it may receive compensation in the form of a draft choice. The NFL awards compensatory picks based on the net loss of restricted free agents. The limit for compensatory picks is four per team.

The supplemental draft is held after the draft and its more like a auction teams bid for players using the following year's draft pick. if you believe a player is 1st round material in the supplemental draft you bid your 1st rd pick from next year and if you win the player you lose the spot you picked that player at for the following year's draft. The NY Giants did this years ago with Dave Brown. They used a 1st Rd pick in the Supplemental Draft to select hom and did not have a 1st RD pick in the regular draft the following season.

Patler
04-30-2006, 06:19 PM
I found this on Yahoo:

A free agent is a player whose contract has expired and is eligible to sign with another team. A restricted free agent is a player for whom another team can make an offer, but his current team is allowed to match that offer. If the current team chooses not to match the offer, it may receive compensation in the form of a draft choice. The NFL awards compensatory picks based on the net loss of restricted free agents. The limit for compensatory picks is four per team.

The supplemental draft is held after the draft and its more like a auction teams bid for players using the following year's draft pick. if you believe a player is 1st round material in the supplemental draft you bid your 1st rd pick from next year and if you win the player you lose the spot you picked that player at for the following year's draft. The NY Giants did this years ago with Dave Brown. They used a 1st Rd pick in the Supplemental Draft to select hom and did not have a 1st RD pick in the regular draft the following season.

I wasn't referring to the supplemental draft. If you look at the end of the 7th round of the draft today, some are listed as "Compensatory Selection" others as "Supplemental Compensatory Selection". Perhaps a team's first compensatory selection is that, and any later ones are "supplemental", but then my question is why different terminology? Generally a difference in terms will also mean a difference in effect of some sort, but for the life of me I have no clue what it would be in this case.

MJZiggy
04-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Wow. I know this one. The give out the compensatory picks and then at the end they throw out a couple of extra picks at the end (I thought by lottery?) to round out the last round and those are the Supplemental Compensatory Picks.

Patler
04-30-2006, 11:01 PM
Wow. I know this one. The give out the compensatory picks and then at the end they throw out a couple of extra picks at the end (I thought by lottery?) to round out the last round and those are the Supplemental Compensatory Picks.

"to round out the last round"???? :?: :?: :wink:

GrnBay007
04-30-2006, 11:07 PM
Someone find Patler. He would know! :razz: :D

Patler
04-30-2006, 11:42 PM

I have it on good authority that he doesn't know! :?

GrnBay007
04-30-2006, 11:50 PM

You are probably right. Our long lost Patler would never let us down in our time of need......he would be here to answer this very intriguing question if he knew the answer. :wink:

Rastak
04-30-2006, 11:59 PM

You are probably right. Our long lost Patler would never let us down in our time of need......he would be here to answer this very intriguing question if he knew the answer. :wink:

No question about it 007. Patler would for sure, being the absolute smartest person north of the mason-dixon line.

Rock, go find him!

GrnBay007
05-01-2006, 12:08 AM
Hmmm....someone suddenly signed off. You don't suppose they are dialing information right about now for commissioner Tagliabue's telephone number do you? :razz:

MJZiggy
05-01-2006, 07:28 AM
http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/9341500

Compensatory free agents are determined by a formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. The formula was developed by the NFL Management Council. Not every free agent lost or signed by a club is covered by this formula.

Three clubs this year (Buffalo, Seattle and Washington) will receive a compensatory pick even though they did not suffer a net loss of compensatory free agents. Under the formula, the compensatory free agents these teams lost were ranked higher than the ones they signed (by a specified point differential based upon salary and performance).

Picks 251-255 are supplemental compensatory picks (based upon draft-order formula) to fulfill the number of draft choices permitted by agreement with the NFL Players Association in the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Merlin
05-01-2006, 07:35 AM
I wasn't referring to the supplemental draft. If you look at the end of the 7th round of the draft today, some are listed as "Compensatory Selection" others as "Supplemental Compensatory Selection". Perhaps a team's first compensatory selection is that, and any later ones are "supplemental", but then my question is why different terminology? Generally a difference in terms will also mean a difference in effect of some sort, but for the life of me I have no clue what it would be in this case.

If you read carefully you will find your answer. The first paragraph addresses "Compensatory" the second addresses "Supplemental Compensatory". The way I read it is that we gained this pick based on last years supplemental draft.

Thanks, for playing!

sepporepi
05-01-2006, 07:43 AM
In the CBA it is stated that there have to be at least 255 draft picks.
So if needed they give out those supplemetal picks up to spot 255 in order of the first round.