PDA

View Full Version : JS- GIVE THE TURTLE A CHANCE

Bretsky
07-12-2007, 01:01 AM
Thompson's kids, like Favre, need chance
Posted: July 10, 2007

Richard Pufall

Green Bay - What was the general manager thinking? This was - at best - a grievous gamble with a precious No. 1 draft pick. This team had needs and the GM was failing to address them. Everyone, it seemed, knew what was best for the franchise. Everyone, but the man in charge.

So the boos bombarded the guy in the big chair at 1265 Lombardi Ave. It was his kitchen and the heat was on.

The year was 1992. The man in charge was Ron Wolf, the freshly minted general manager who had taken over in November 1991 after Tom Braatz was fired.

And the No. 1 draft choice - Green Bay's second that year and No. 17 overall - had just been traded to the Atlanta Falcons for some obscure, bench-warming, out-of-control rookie quarterback named Brett Favre.

Didn't need a quarterback, the boo-birds chirped. The Packers had Don Majkowski and he was giving the team its best leadership and production at that position since Lynn Dickey. This Favre dude would have to pull a hat out of a rabbit to upstage the Majik Man.
Why would Wolf trade a first-round pick for this Favre guy, a misguided gunslinger who had thrown just four passes with no completions and two interceptions in a cameo appearance for the Falcons in 1991? Favre was a second-round draft choice of Atlanta, No. 33 overall. How could this brash, wild, fun-loving kid from Mississippi be worth a first-round draft choice?

Well, of course, he was. And still is.

Wolf fired Lindy Infante as coach and put Mike Holmgren in control of the team and Favre. Was it Holmgren who made Favre or Favre who made Holmgren? That's a debate with legs that will run for years, but this we know for sure: They were good for each other and Green Bay.

Favre, with a little help from his friends, took the Packers to two Super Bowls. He brought the Vince Lombardi Trophy home to Green Bay in Super Bowl XXXI, became the NFL's only three-time most valuable player, has been the Packers' starter at quarterback in every game since Sept. 27, 1992 and is a lock for the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

And those fans who bashed the trade for Favre in 1992? Ask them now and many will tell you they knew from the get-go that Favre was the real deal.

It's doubtful that today's general manager - Ted Thompson - looks back at the Wolf-Favre episode to help him deal with the issues facing the Packers of 2007. But you couldn't blame him if he did.

When Thompson used the team's No. 1 draft choice in April to select Justin Harrell, a defensive tackle from Tennessee, the GM was hit with a chorus of boos. And if anything the criticism has grown more intense since Day 1 of the draft.

The fans, you see, wanted a playmaker, a high-profile, big-name running back, wide receiver or tight end who could step in and give Favre immediate help.

The Packers would have drafted Marshawn Lynch, the highly touted runner from California, if he had been there when they picked at No. 16. But they had no intentions of trading up to get him. So when Buffalo took Lynch at No. 12, Green Bay happily settled for Harrell.

The selection of Harrell, combined with the GM's perceived reluctance to spend money on free agents, have made Thompson the most unpopular state commodity since imported cheese.

And Thompson, too, is the victim of idle time. This is perhaps the worst part of the off-season for Packers fans. No games have been played since December. There are no practices. Everyone is on vacation. Training camp is still two weeks away. The first real game is two months off on the horizon.

Packers fans find themselves trapped in the middle of baseball season. They need a ball - or someone - to kick around and Thompson has "pigskin" written all over him.

Fortunately for Green Bay, this man can take a hit.

None of this is to suggest that Justin Harrell will have the same impact on the Packers that Brett Favre has.

Of course, he won't.

Harrell could become the best defensive tackle in NFL history and still not match the contributions of Favre.

And no one is challenging the fans' right to criticize, whine or complain. They earned that privilege in exchange for the investment of time, money and love they have made with their team.

You see, without the fans there are no Packers, there is no NFL.

But we are saying this: We know as much about Harrell, Brandon Jackson, James Jones and the other eight 2007 draft picks right now as we did about Favre on Feb. 10, 1992 when Wolf triggered the trade.

So maybe we should give Thompson and the new kids a fair trial in the 2007 season before we bring in the verdict.

packrulz
07-12-2007, 05:02 AM
Harrell was rising on a lot of draft boards heading into the draft, rumor has it Denver would've taken him so trading down wasn't an option. The only guy I liked after the 16th pick was Jon Beason, I think he'll be a stud. I think the draft improved overall depth on both sides of the ball, I agree, give them a chance.

1 1 Oakland Russell, JaMarcus QB 6-6 263 Louisiana State
2 2 Detroit Johnson, Calvin WR 6-4 237 Georgia Tech
3 3 Cleveland Thomas, Joe OT 6-6 313 Wisconsin
4 4 Tampa Bay Adams, Gaines DE 6-5 260 Clemson
5 5 Arizona Brown, Levi OT 6-4 328 Penn State
6 6 Washington Landry, LaRon FS 6-2 205 Louisiana State
7 7 Minnesota Peterson, Adrian RB 6-2 218 Oklahoma
8 8 Atlanta (from Houston) Anderson, Jamaal DE 6-6 279 Arkansas
9 9 Miami Ginn Jr., Ted WR 6-0 180 Ohio State
10 10 Houston (from Atlanta) Okoye, Amobi DT 6-2 287 Louisville
11 11 San Francisco Willis, Patrick ILB 6-1 240 Mississippi
12 12 Buffalo Lynch, Marshawn RB 5-11 217 California
13 13 St. Louis Carriker, Adam DE 6-6 292 Nebraska
14 14 N.Y. Jets (from Carolina) Revis, Darrelle CB 6-0 197 Pittsburgh
15 15 Pittsburgh Timmons, Lawrence OLB 6-3 232 Florida State
16 16 Green Bay Harrell, Justin DT 6-4 305 Tennessee
17 17 Denver (from Jacksonville) Moss, Jarvis DE 6-6 251 Florida
18 18 Cincinnati Hall, Leon CB 5-11 193 Michigan
19 19 Tennessee Griffin, Michael FS 6-0 195 Texas
20 20 N.Y. Giants Ross, Aaron CB 6-1 192 Texas
21 21 Jacksonville (from Denver) Nelson, Reggie FS 6-0 193 Florida
22 22 Cleveland (from Dallas) Quinn, Brady QB 6-3 226 Notre Dame
23 23 Kansas City Bowe, Dwayne WR 6-2 217 Louisiana State
24 24 New England (from Seattle) Meriweather, Brandon FS 5-11 192 Miami (Fla.)
25 25 Carolina (from N.Y. Jets) Beason, Jon OLB 6-0 236 Miami (Fla.)
26 26 Dallas (from Philadelphia) Spencer, Anthony DE 6-3 266 Purdue
27 27 New Orleans Meachem, Robert WR 6-3 211 Tennessee
28 28 San Francisco (from New England) Staley, Joe OT 6-5 302 Central Michigan
29 29 Baltimore Grubbs, Ben G 6-3 314 Auburn
30 30 San Diego Davis, Craig WR 6-1 207 Louisiana State
31 31 Chicago Olsen, Greg TE 6-4 252 Miami (Fla.)
32 32 Indianapolis Gonzalez, Anthony WR 6-0 195 Ohio State

rpiotr01
07-12-2007, 12:19 PM
Harrell was rising on a lot of draft boards heading into the draft, rumor has it Denver would've taken him so trading down wasn't an option.

I think the fact that Denver has been gobbling up DTs since the draft says a lot about who they were after.

I wasn't crazy about Meachem or Olson, but Olson's athletic ability had to be considered. Still, for a guy who really didn't do much in college and was considered the second or third best TE based on his actual play and not combine numbers, 16 was high to take him. Trading with Cleveland would have been nice, but my understanding is that they didn't want to trade that high up. It makes sense, I'm sure they didn't want to pay Quinn based on the 16 spot.

Harrell was def. a surprise because I hadn't heard much about him, but even going into the season I wanted them to draft a good DT in 2007. At that time it was all about Alan Branch and Quinn Pittcock. My how things change. But still, I like the decision to draft that position high.