PDA

View Full Version : Earthquake in Oregon

oregonpackfan
07-12-2007, 03:57 PM
Yesterday, western Oregon experienced a mild earthquake measurig 3.3 on the Richter Scale near Canby, OR at about 8:55 p.m PST. The epicenter was about 15 miles from my house.

I was at a local community meeting sitting around a large table when we experienced a small rumble like a semi-truck going by 50 yards from us. We looked at each other like, "Was that an earthquake?"

Sure enough, the news later that evening verified the quake. Since the weather that day had been up to an unusual 98 degrees, they dubbed it the "Shake N' Bake Quake" :)

About half a dozen years ago, we experienced an earthquake in the low 4's when I was teaching in my classroom. Of the 22 classrooms in the school, only 4 classrooms did not feel a thing. In some classrooms, the shaking was so profound that the teachers called the "Duck, Cover, and Hold" Earthquake Drill.

In this drill, the students are trained to Duck under a desk or table, Cover their head with one arm and hand, and Hold onto the desk/table leg with the other hand.

My classroom was one of the 4 where none of my students, me, or my college student teacher felt any movement. This was despite the fact that my 25 students were divided into 5 different learning centers and most of the students were sitting on the floor.

After the rumble, the Principal rang the fire bell. Only after all the classes were gathered in our assigned spots outside did I learn we had an earthquake.

Our school is H-shaped with the cafeteria and gym built onto the walls of the left vertical line. It turned out that the four classrooms which did not feel the earthquake were at the opposite poles of the H-shape!

BTW, no one was injured and there was no damage to the building or its contents.

packinpatland
07-12-2007, 06:50 PM
This must have been a tad scary.
I didn't know Oregon was known to have earthquakes.
When last at Canon Beach, I saw tsunami (sp?) warning signs........now this?

Freak Out
07-12-2007, 06:54 PM
Come on OPF, you can hardly consider a 3-4 on the R scale an earthquake. I had a fat neighbor lady once that we called "Bovinity" that would set off the alarms more frequently than anything that small.

oregonpackfan
07-12-2007, 09:09 PM
Come on OPF, you can hardly consider a 3-4 on the R scale an earthquake. I had a fat neighbor lady once that we called "Bovinity" that would set off the alarms more frequently than anything that small.

LOL! I agree that a 3.3 is hardly "Earth-shattering" as far as earthquakes go. It is just that they are relatively rare here compared to California or Alaska that had everyone talking.

packinpatland
07-12-2007, 09:11 PM
Anytime the earth shakes it's 'earth shattering', especially when it's in your own neighborhood!

Freak Out
07-12-2007, 09:31 PM
:lol: Just messin with ya'll. Anytime there is some tectonic plate action going down things get exciting. Were due for a good shaker up here.

Joemailman
07-12-2007, 09:55 PM
:lol: Just messin with ya'll. Anytime there is some tectonic plate action going down things get exciting. Were due for a good shaker up here.

Are you old enough to remember the Anchorage Earthquake of 1964? (Probably not). 9.2 and lasted for 4 minutes. Unbelievable.

Freak Out
07-13-2007, 12:00 AM

Are you old enough to remember the Anchorage Earthquake of 1964? (Probably not). 9.2 and lasted for 4 minutes. Unbelievable.

I was under the table with our Lab Jenny. I was 4 and have a few memories of the event...mostly of the aftermath. Some impressive cracks in the basement foundation of the house I lived in! Power was out for days but we were lucky that things were starting to warm up. My most vivid memory is of a neighborhood called Turnagain that was swallowed up when the glacial silt/mud it was built on jellied. Made a great park after it was all over.

Joemailman
07-13-2007, 04:21 PM
Many people don't know that one of the worst earthquakes in U.S. History occurred in Missouri. Currently both St. Louis and Memphis are located in what is now known as the New Madrid Seismic Zone, and would be devastated if another major earthquake occurs here.

http://quake.wr.usgs.gov/prepare/factsheets/NewMadrid/