PDA

View Full Version : I STILL CAN'T BELIEVE WE GOT THE BEST OLB AND THE BEST MLB!

gbpackfan
04-30-2006, 05:54 PM
WOW! The Packers have turned a weakness into a complete strength. I do believe that Hodge should start in the middle though.

Hawk--------------Hodge-------------------Barnett

Thoughts?

Rastak
04-30-2006, 05:56 PM
WOW! The Packers have turned a weakness into a complete strength. I do believe that Hodge should start in the middle though.

Hawk--------------Hodge-------------------Barnett

Thoughts?

Well, I'd be pumped. Packers defense wasn't that bad to begin with so they should be pretty solid. Not 100% sure Hodge steps right in though...maybe...great pick.

Merlin
04-30-2006, 05:59 PM
Out of the three Hodge is the biggest (235# to Barnett #232) but I think you leave Barnett in the Middle to start, he has the experience. Hawk & Hodges are both questionable in coverage and Barnett is very good in coverage. Maybe in the 4-3 when you expect pass move Barnett to MLB and when you expect run move Hodges to MLB. That might work.

Anti-Polar Bear
04-30-2006, 06:00 PM
The unit would be better like this:

Barnett, Hawk, Peterson

or

Barnett, Hawk, Arrington

I would move Barnett outside and play Hawk at MLB. Hawk's coverage skill makes me want to throw up.

billy_oliver880
04-30-2006, 06:00 PM
Thoughts?

Why are people down on our later round picks? :roll:

Rastak
04-30-2006, 06:02 PM
Out of the three Hodge is the biggest (235# to Barnett #232) but I think you leave Barnett in the Middle to start, he has the experience. Hawk & Hodges are both questionable in coverage and Barnett is very good in coverage. Maybe in the 4-3 when you expect pass move Barnett to MLB and when you expect run move Hodges to MLB. That might work.

Yea, that's the only knock on Hawk....from what I read Greenway is the better cover LB..which is important in the tampa 2. For Green Bay, Hawk is a big upgrade I think. With Woodson joining the team and Carroll playing much better I'm a tad worried the Green and Gold will be pretty solid next year.

edit: On defense that is

Merlin
04-30-2006, 06:03 PM
This unit would be better like this:

Barnett, Hawk, Peterson

or

Barnett, Hawk, Arrington

I would move Barnett outside and play Hawk at MLB. Hawk's coverage skill makes me want to throw up.
I think Hawk will stop the run but the play action is going to kill him his first year playing MLB. Leave him as an OLB where he can use his horizontal game better and blitz more. Let Barnett stay in the middle. With two good DT's he should be able to fight off the guard chip blocks. We already know he can take on the FB and win, just keep the guards off him and he will be fine.

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 06:14 PM
I don't think Hodge is a great LB...I think he'll be really good though.

Hawk is GREAT. Hodge IMO is not as good as Barnett.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 06:15 PM
Thoughts?

In general, because TT went for unknown players over players we knew about, were projected better with the information available to us, and succeeded at major college programs.

Scott Campbell
04-30-2006, 06:16 PM

Barnett, Hawk, Peterson

or

Barnett, Hawk, Arrington

Arrington and Peterson would look kind of funny back there wearing different team uniforms.

billy_oliver880
04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
Thoughts?

In general, because TT went for unknown players over players we knew about, were projected better with the information available to us, and succeeded at major college programs.

Ya I think there was a bunch of people were down on last years draft because they didn't know anything about the players. Expecially Collins...I remember looking up his bio and there wasn't even a picture of him.

gbpackfan
04-30-2006, 06:18 PM
I am not down on our picks! I love this draft. I knew they were targeting Moll from packerreport.com so it wasnt a shock to me. I am a BIG fan of Ingle Martin and had him going to us in the top of the 6th in my latest mock. I LOVE jolly in the 6th and I think Rogers and Blackmon are very nice too. I am starting to sound like a homer I know, but I just really like this draft. More then I liked last years, that is for sure!

RashanGary
04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
I think Thompson tried to get cute in his 1st draft. He had his scouts reminding him to take "football players" and I think he just took the best players instead of the best projects for the most part.

Bretsky
04-30-2006, 06:21 PM
Thoughts?

Ya I think there was a bunch of people were down on last years draft because they didn't know anything about the players. Expecially Collins...I remember looking up his bio and there wasn't even a picture of him.

Well, so far, Nick Collins is the only contributor we could count on for consistent production from last year.

Still time though; I have hopes for Montgomery and figure Poppinga is an adequate backup and good at ST. Rodgers is the key to the success of that draft.

billy_oliver880
04-30-2006, 06:42 PM
Thoughts?

Well, so far, Nick Collins is the only contributor we could count on for consistent production from last year.

Still time though; I have hopes for Montgomery and figure Poppinga is an adequate backup and good at ST. Rodgers is the key to the success of that draft.

What do you think is a good time to evaluate weather a draft is good? 1? 2? 3?...10 years afterward?

MadtownPacker
04-30-2006, 06:47 PM
What do you think is a good time to evaluate weather a draft is good? 1? 2? 3?...10 years afterward?

3 years is about right. Look at walker.

I have to agree about this thread though, Pack D is loaded now. We can have a few not make it and still be straight.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 06:48 PM

Barnett, Hawk, Peterson

or

Barnett, Hawk, Arrington

Arrington and Peterson would look kind of funny back there wearing different team uniforms.

well put, scott. arrington and peterson didn't want to play in green bay, should we just leave the two lb slots vacant since we didn't them? i think not

i have never considered barnett a mlb, he plays more like an olb and i think his natural position is outside. i say give hodge the middle and move barnett to middle on passing downs when only 1 lb is on the field. that way, you have the two young guys contributing right away and yet you still have barnett's experience in the nickel and dime packages. mlb is an instinctive position, you have to have the mindset to take on a lead blocker in short yardage situations - olb's tend to lack that when they make the switch to the middle. if you're gonna put your three best on the field and play to their strengths i suggest hawk|hodge|barnett as the best option.

its time to stop the whining, guys. we have what we have. let's move on to minicamps

billy_oliver880
04-30-2006, 06:50 PM

3 years is about right. Look at walker.

I have to agree about this thread though, Pack D is loaded now. We can have a few not make it and still be straight.

That was exactly what I was thinking...look how many guys we have for our d-line. 13 guys or something like that.

FritzDontBlitz
04-30-2006, 06:55 PM
I think Thompson tried to get cute in his 1st draft. He had his scouts reminding him to take "football players" and I think he just took the best players instead of the best projects for the most part.

need i remind you guys that 9 of the 11 picks taken last year are still on the team? of the two that are gone, only bragg was considered a waste. the othere was terrence murphy, who showed promise in his injury.

teddy drafts for depth, and those players he drafted last year are mostly active in support roles. its still too early to tell if anyone else will step up and become a starter, but i don't consider 2005's draft a bust. at least not yet....