PDA

View Full Version : Rhodes a dead end road

4and12to12and4
07-15-2007, 09:38 PM
Maybe I'm showing my ignorance here, but I am scratching my head over the inactivity of TT regarding trying to pick up Dominick Rhodes this offseason. It just seems to me like he would be a perfect weapon in our offense. I know many will say he wouldn't be able to handle a full time RB's responsibilities. He backed up Edggarin James, and even a rookie last year, but everytime he had an opportunity, he seemed to do very well. He's quick, strong, can break tackles, has good vision, and is quick to the hole. He seems to be very durable, and had an outstanding Superbowl. Has anyone even picked him up? Is he still out there? If so, wouldn't he be a great addition, since most here think that Morency won't be able to handle a full load? What are his weaknesses? I don't understand why we didn't sign him. It's not like he would be asking for 5 million a year like Green. We could probably sign him in the 1.5 million per year range and just give him a one year contract. We have the cap space. TT could even package a heavily loaded incentive based contract based on touches, and yardage gained. Is there something about Rhodes that I'm just not seeing? Just wondering.

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2007, 09:50 PM
He was signed up Oakland, and subsequently received a 4 game suspension for violating the league's substance abuse policy.

Bretsky
07-15-2007, 09:53 PM
Dominic Rhodes' two-year deal with the Raiders is worth $7.5 million and contains a signing bonus of $1 million.

Rhodes, who may face a four-game suspension for his recent DUI, will receive $1.5 million in 2007 base pay. The deal includes language protecting Oakland if the suspension occurs. The Contra Costa Times believes the Raiders are likely to use a two-back system this season.

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2007, 10:00 PM
I'm not sure he got the suspension from the incident earlier in the offseason. I could be wrong, but he plea bargained the other incident down to reckless driving, and I don't think he'd be suspended for four games for that. Maybe he had some other things in his past on top of that. The league doesn't divulge information for violaters of their substance abuse program, so it's hard to know if it's from that incident.

4and12to12and4
07-15-2007, 10:04 PM
OK, but does anyone here think that we should've tried to sign him? If not, why?

Spaulding
07-15-2007, 10:19 PM
Rhodes is overrrated. Average to slightly above average runner who isn't versed in the ZBS. To pay 3.5 million a year for that doesn't fit Thompson MO and I'm of the same train of thought.

Our team is on a youth movement and the hope is the players are motivated, hungry and generate team chemistry.

Rhodes stats over the last few years (granted you mentioned he backed up one of the best backs on the league and so was limited in his touches) aren't that impressive:
Year Games Games Attempts Yards YPC
Played Started
2001 Indianapolis Colts 15 10 233 1104 4.7
2002 Indianapolis Colts 0 0 0 0 0
2003 Indianapolis Colts 11 0 37 157 4.2
2004 Indianapolis Colts 16 0 53 254 4.8
2005 Indianapolis Colts 13 1 40 118 3.0
2006 Indianapolis Colts 16 16 187 641 3.4

The stats indicated that his yards per carry aren't the impressive and he's no spring chicken having been in the league going on eight years.

Why stunt the growth of the young players with a known average quantity and one that likely isn't a strong fit for the ZBS. Morency has experience in it and fits the one cut and hit it system as does Jackson who ran it at Nebraska.

I don't think there was anything of value in this offseason worth going after other than Moss and I'm still disappointed we didn't get to see Favre throwing it up for Randy like he did for Walker. I think that would have been something special but alas we were outbid for a measly 4th rounder.

Anyways, just my rambling thoughts.

4and12to12and4
07-15-2007, 10:29 PM
I have to disagree with you. His numbers don't tell the whole story. It's hard to come in as a second stringer and keep consistent numbers. I just remember his last game, against a top five defensive team in the Superbowl, and he was outstanding. He had some great runs, inside, outside, breaking tackles, outrunning defenders, and you need vets to balance out a young team. It would be beneficial to have a player who just won a Superbowl to help be a leader to all the young guns we have. As far as his contract, his base salary is actually under 2 million. We have plenty of cap space to have gotten him. I think he has more talent than many here think. He's very quick and hard to take down. He is a hard worker, and gives his all on every play, and is a winner. I like him and I think he would've been a great addition to our team, if nothing else, to give the other RB's added incentive to bust their ass to get playing time. I just am not happy with our RB situation. Unless Jackson comes in and shows he can translate into a big time player in the NFL, I don't like the idea that at this point Herron is probably the second best RB we have right now. Dominick has been around long enough to be able to adjust to our scheme, and his running style is suited to it, because he is a great cutback runner. He has very good vision, and is always looking for a hole on the backside of the field. I just have to disagree with your outlook on him, and think he would've fit in well with our team.

Bretsky
07-15-2007, 10:35 PM
I'd have been like warm on Rhodes; first off TT would need to be OK with his character. Secondly I don't see him giving Rhodes the type of money he received from Oakland.

But it would IMO have been a good idea to bring in another capable RB to compete and Rhodes would have fit that bill.

HarveyWallbangers
07-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Is he really all that different from what the Packers have? Personally, I think Brandon Jackson looks similar to Rhodes on tape.

Spaulding
07-16-2007, 09:21 AM
I have to disagree with you. His numbers don't tell the whole story. It's hard to come in as a second stringer and keep consistent numbers. I just remember his last game, against a top five defensive team in the Superbowl, and he was outstanding. He had some great runs, inside, outside, breaking tackles, outrunning defenders, and you need vets to balance out a young team. It would be beneficial to have a player who just won a Superbowl to help be a leader to all the young guns we have. As far as his contract, his base salary is actually under 2 million. We have plenty of cap space to have gotten him. I think he has more talent than many here think. He's very quick and hard to take down. He is a hard worker, and gives his all on every play, and is a winner. I like him and I think he would've been a great addition to our team, if nothing else, to give the other RB's added incentive to bust their ass to get playing time. I just am not happy with our RB situation. Unless Jackson comes in and shows he can translate into a big time player in the NFL, I don't like the idea that at this point Herron is probably the second best RB we have right now. Dominick has been around long enough to be able to adjust to our scheme, and his running style is suited to it, because he is a great cutback runner. He has very good vision, and is always looking for a hole on the backside of the field. I just have to disagree with your outlook on him, and think he would've fit in well with our team.

Has Rhodes really been viewed as a leader though? As for the cap, no arguments there. TT is either really stingy and somewhat stupid to be holding onto this much money (above and beyond the rookie pool) when it shorts the team on potential impact players. Or he has a plan to resign certain players, add incentives, etc. and although I'm hoping it's the latter it's still unknown.

Taking playing time away from Morency and Jackson though just doesn't make sense. This team will surprise most if it even makes the playoffs. Since we're not on the cusp of pushing to the NFC Championship game or Superbowl, why make sign a player like Rhodes and detract finding out what you already have in the house?

Zool
07-16-2007, 09:40 AM
Rhodes always seemed to be a product of the team. There's a reason they went RB in the 1st round last year.

MJZiggy
07-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Ya know, all this complaining about the available cap space and you'd think we had the most available money of any team, but we don't. There are a few teams ahead of us. Having cap space right now is a good thing. Insurance against bad things happening.

wist43
07-16-2007, 10:05 AM
Doubtful that anyone of consequence will come available from this point moving forward, so the only thing to do with the extra cap space is spend it to extend guys.

The team we have now, is pretty much what we're going to have all season.

4and12to12and4
07-16-2007, 05:46 PM

Has Rhodes really been viewed as a leader though? As for the cap, no arguments there. TT is either really stingy and somewhat stupid to be holding onto this much money (above and beyond the rookie pool) when it shorts the team on potential impact players. Or he has a plan to resign certain players, add incentives, etc. and although I'm hoping it's the latter it's still unknown.

Taking playing time away from Morency and Jackson though just doesn't make sense. This team will surprise most if it even makes the playoffs. Since we're not on the cusp of pushing to the NFC Championship game or Superbowl, why make sign a player like Rhodes and detract finding out what you already have in the house?

As far as leadership goes, it is invaluable to have as many guys on your squad with playoff and Superbowl experience, because it helps in the postseason for those players to let the younger players and vets who HAVENT been in those situations what it is like, and keep everyone calm and collected. So, that in itself gives him "leadership" in my mind. He just won a Superbowl, so he won't be shy or over excited in the postseason if we get there, because he's been there, done that. He wouldn't have cost that much, and yes, we're not #1 in cap space available, but I believe we are in the top ten. We still have approximately 10 million that we are just sitting on I believe. What good does it do the team to just sit on that money. All of our players have already gotten their extensions that we have to worry about this year. Next year, we will have another 100 million to play with for guys coming up for new contracts. I just happen to think that Rhodes' experience and skills are better than any RB we have. Except maybe Jackson, but no one knows at all whether he will be good at this level or not. If not, Rhodes would've been a great guy to come in and help the offense. It's water under the bridge right now, I just don't understand why TT didn't even try to give him an offer. He was out there for a long time before Oakland picked him up. I believe he would've taken a few less dollars to stay out of that screwed up organization. He's probably thinking, my God, I just went from a Superbowl winner to the black hole of the NFL. Maybe I'm wrong, I just wish TT would've given him a shot.

retailguy
07-16-2007, 07:58 PM
Ya know, all this complaining about the available cap space and you'd think we had the most available money of any team, but we don't. There are a few teams ahead of us. Having cap space right now is a good thing. Insurance against bad things happening.

Sounds great in theory, MJ, but if some really important player goes down in week 2 or 3, just WHO will be available to sign with all of that money?

It's JULY, and there ISN'T anybody worth anything. What, we're going to sign some training camp cut? Wouldn't they be considered FREE AGENTS? Remember, THEY ARE ALL OVERPRICED. :evil: :twisted: :P

MJZiggy
07-16-2007, 08:01 PM
Nobody said they're ALL overpriced. They're overpriced in March and April. And we've been 'round and 'round about this, haven't we?

Bretsky
07-16-2007, 09:06 PM

I feel better knowing that four teams have more cap space than we do