PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Rodgers hoping to impress other teams??

Brando19
07-16-2007, 06:03 PM
Packers QB Aaron Rodgers commenting on the Drive on FOX with Chris Myers and Sean Farnham on playing behind Brett Favre: "I have been trying to make the most, every rep that I get, I am just trying to put myself in the best spot possible, obviously I would love to be a Green Bay Packer, I just want to have a great training camp, preseason and make myself attractive to other teams, and hopefully stay in the Green and Gold, I just want to play, I know Brett is going to play because he still has it, still in shape, he still has the strong arm and we have a young team that is still improving and he would love to be here. " -- Fox Sports Radio

4and12to12and4
07-16-2007, 06:10 PM
I feel sorry for Aaron, and when he was injured in the Patriots game, the irony was somewhat funny, but at the same time, so frustrating for him. I mean, when it happened, it just made us all go "wow", and reinforce in our minds the greatness of Brett's streak. Unfortunately for Rodgers, I just think that his inability to throw a consistent pass between 15 and 25 yards with zip on it will be his downfall. He will have to be almost perfect in every other aspect of his game to make up for that lack of skill and arm strength. I don't think he will ever be our starting QB. Justin Harrell better he an f'n probowler, because I was pissed that we didn't take Brady Quinn. He just seems to have so much more upside than Aaron. We could've probably worked a nice package on draft day to trade Aaron and get to or three or more lower picks for him. Which is what TT seems to live for, getting 15 picks a year. Five years from now, I believe we will be ranking this as the second stupidest draft move in Packers history (behind the Barry Sanders mishap).

RashanGary
07-16-2007, 06:44 PM
Sounds like he wants to get out and play. That is good because you don't want a guy content as the #2 but it's bad becasue it is good to have a guy groomed for the after Favre era and if Rodgers is gone, we start over with nothing.

POLISHHAWK
07-16-2007, 06:45 PM
Don't Agree AT ALL. Justin does not need to be a pro bowler. He just needs to be very good and very effective in his role. He could do more for us than any quarterback (especially Quinn). Shoring up our D has a bigger effect in the W column than getting an Average Quarterback in the draft.
Harrell has special talent. We took somewhat of a gamble because of his injuries. One thing I will not question is his motor. The guy has passion and wants to be the best. I will take Heart over talent. He happens to have both. Only special players have both. His only question mark is his injuries and whether they will be nagging (which is why he wasn't picked sooner).
Smart Move TT. It's worth the gamble, because after all; every mid round first pick is a gamble.

I think this may be the best possible pick we could take. Wait, Wait, Wait. Patience, Patience, Patience.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-16-2007, 07:03 PM
I don't blame him. Think about it, if Favre comes back this year and one more Rodgers will not get a chance until his 5th year. I’m sure no 1st round pick ever would imagine waiting that long for a chance to start. But like JH said I don't want to have to groom a whole new player to replace Brett. Hopefully he stays patient and we give him a chance some time down the road.

oregonpackfan
07-16-2007, 07:19 PM
I remain on the fence with Rodgers. I am not sure if any of us have seen enough of him in true game situations to assess if he will be a good starter or a bust.

I have a gut feeling this will be Favre's last year. Unless something happens to Favre this year(pray it won't), we may not be able to see Rodgers in a true game situation until '08.

Packers4Ever
07-16-2007, 07:29 PM
Hmmm, sounds to me like if the right chance came along, he'd

bust loose. He says he wants to "be attractive to other teams"

but at the same time he'd like to "stay in Green and Gold." I feel

for him too but I fear if he ever became our # 1 we'd be low man

on the totem pole for some time to come. And after Brett does

leave, there'll be darn few choices. :(

retailguy
07-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Hmmm, sounds to me like if the right chance came along, he'd

Ahhh. Bullshit. We can get a Free Agent to hold down the fort while we train up a rookie.... OH WAIT.... That WON'T work with the current GM, will it? :wink:

We're screwed.... :P

cheesner
07-16-2007, 07:44 PM
This is what he needs to be saying. If the guy loves football, he should want to play. He doesn't want to offend his current employers, so he is speaking with some tact.

Being attractive to other teams, means he will be able to negotiate a better FA contract when the time comes. I see nothing wrong with his comments.

If this is our level of malcontent on the team, the Packers are way ahead of most teams.

Packers4Ever
07-16-2007, 07:52 PM
[quote=Packers4Ever]Hmmm, sounds to me like if the right chance came along, he'd

Ahhh. Bullshit. We can get a Free Agent to hold down the fort while we train up a rookie.... OH WAIT.... That WON'T work with the current GM, will it? :wink:

We're screwed.... :P[/quote

A FA to HOLD DOWN THE FORT? Right !!

hahahaha :lol: hahahaha :D

GBRulz
07-16-2007, 08:51 PM
Part of his problem is that he hasn't had a good pre-season yet. Until that happens, I don't see his stock gaining any value. Think about some of our QB's who have gone on to bigger and better things, namely Hasselbeck. He always excelled in the pre-season if I remember correctly.

IMO, Rodgers is lucky to have been "given" the backup spot. If he wasn't TT's precious 1st round pick, I highly doubt he'd be our backup, but TT is too damn proud to admit....oh hell, nm.

RashanGary
07-16-2007, 08:56 PM
He had a 101 passer rating last year pre-season. I think that is pretty good.

HarveyWallbangers
07-16-2007, 08:57 PM
I agree about the preseason--although I don't think he was bad last year. I saw improvement. This is the year I expect him to really show us something if he has what it takes.

I have absolutely nothing against anything he said in that quote. Sounds like what he should be saying. He's working hard, so he'll be ready when given a chance. He realizes that chance may not come in Green Bay--even though he'd like it to. End of story.

RashanGary
07-16-2007, 09:01 PM
I think there is a little something to it Harv. I think he wants a chance to start sooner than later and Favre has started to sound like he has two years left in him.

RashanGary
07-16-2007, 09:03 PM
I have a suspicion that Favre's ankle is feeling really good. Those quotes about him wanting to win and wanting to win now, I don't see him making those type of comments if he's not confident in his ankle.

Favres ankle feeling great = two more years = Rodgers not getting a chance to play = Rodgers wants a ticket out of town if possible.

GBRulz
07-16-2007, 09:04 PM
He had a 101 passer rating last year pre-season. I think that is pretty good.

I agree that he improved last season, but one season won't really make teams take notice. The biggest thing I'd like to see him improve on is getting rid of the ball faster.

Bretsky
07-16-2007, 09:13 PM
Nothing wrong with these quotes; Rodgers probably wants to play sooner rather than later..both for his passion of the game as well as the opportunity to get a nice raise if she shows he can succeed in the real season.

He seems like a nice guy; I never liked the pick from day one but you have to feel some empathy for him. He wants to play and if Favre plays two more years Rodgers would probably just as soon be given another opportunity.

He looked horrid before last year and looked alright in the preseason. I hope to see a Hasselbeck like Preseason performance this year.

Brando19
07-16-2007, 09:15 PM
I bet Rodgers wishes he played for another team with a sucky QB so he could have some playing time. I agree, Favre has 2 more years left in him. I would say Rodgers was keeping his fingers crossed when the Randy Moss/Aaron Rodgers trade rumors were flying. Hell...he'd have been a hero in Oakland right off the bat!

Bretsky
07-16-2007, 09:20 PM
I bet Rodgers wishes he played for another team with a sucky QB so he could have some playing time. I agree, Favre has 2 more years left in him. I would say Rodgers was keeping his fingers crossed when the Randy Moss/Aaron Rodgers trade rumors were flying. Hell...he'd have been a hero in Oakland right off the bat!

Reality is if Ted Thompson was only willing to offer up a 5th for the taking he undoubtedly was not giving up Aaron Rodgers.

Brando19
07-16-2007, 09:29 PM

Reality is if Ted Thompson was only willing to offer up a 5th for the taking he undoubtedly was not giving up Aaron Rodgers.

I don't think we'll ever know the word "reality" as far as TT is concerned. Only God himself knows what TT thinks.

LL2
07-17-2007, 10:18 AM
I have been one that kept saying that we need to give Arod chance and not just mop up duty, but I agree with the majority here he needs to display some great stuff this pre-season. Not for other teams, but his team. If TT knows and even has a strong hunch Favre is going to play another year and he can get a 2nd or 3rd rd pick for Arod he should make the move, because Arod will be 26 before he becomes a starter.

wist43
07-17-2007, 11:29 AM
Rodgers doesn't have much value on the market... can't imagine that a team would give up a 2nd or 3rd for him.

I think he signed a 5 year contract, and I don't think Favre will play beyond '08, so ARod should see the field as the full time starter in '09... that'll give him one year to prove he can, or can't, play - I'm betting on can't.

So, '10 becomes another rebuilding jump off point... gotta love the turtles approach!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

Tarlam!
07-17-2007, 12:35 PM
Rodgers doesn't have much value on the market... can't imagine that a team would give up a 2nd or 3rd for him.

()

So, '10 becomes another rebuilding jump off point... gotta love the turtles approach!!! :wink: :wink: :wink:

I am glad you were winking, Wisty! Listen, what is the opposite of Kool Aide? I gotta get me some, mix it with my juice and maybe come up with some Real aide.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-17-2007, 01:12 PM

()

I am glad you were winking, Wisty! Listen, what is the opposite of Kool Aide? I gotta get me some, mix it with my juice and maybe come up with some Real aide.

Only time will tell if he can play or not, but one year is not enough to judge him unless of course he does really great or really bad. This situation could get messy.

retailguy
07-17-2007, 01:32 PM
Only time will tell if he can play or not, but one year is not enough to judge him unless of course he does really great or really bad. This situation could get messy.

News Flash: IT ALREADY IS kind of messy, isn't it? A-Rod is now openly talking about leaving (b/c it is his only choice when you think about it), Favre won't commit to any length of time, and the supporting cast is well, mediocre at best.

Yes, things are already a mess.... Beginning to look like an "As the World Turns" re-run... :wink:

Zool
07-17-2007, 01:35 PM

News Flash: IT ALREADY IS kind of messy, isn't it? A-Rod is now openly talking about leaving (b/c it is his only choice when you think about it), Favre won't commit to any length of time, and the supporting cast is well, mediocre at best.

Yes, things are already a mess.... Beginning to look like an "As the World Turns" re-run... :wink:Oooh i saw that one, where the TE was sleeping with the underage girls and the QB had a substance abuse problem? That was a good one

Merlin
07-17-2007, 01:44 PM
I don't have anything against Justin, I am glad he is on our team. That being said, I think he is a reach for the #1 pick. Quinn would have given us much better leverage in the draft alone. The Browns more then likely would have parted with a lot to get him from us. Even if they didn't, Quinn is the most NFL ready QB to come out of the draft in some time. Weiss runs an NFL style offense at Notre Dame and was the OC of a Super Bowl team with a bunch of middle of the road offensive players. Brady being the only exception as I think he is above average. Weiss is a great offensive minded coach and Quinn excelled for him. Will that translate into a winning NFL QB? Not with the Browns it won't. Quinn is a much better prospect than Rodgers is TODAY. At least with Quinn, you knew his OL stunk, his WR's were good and his RB didn't attract a lot of attention. Quinn made plays in a complicated, non-QB friendly offense. Rodgers made plays in a non-complicated QB friendly offense. I suspect that Quinn will have a much better pre-season this year than any year Rodgers does. Although I don't put a lot into pre-season, Rodgers hasn't even shown in practice he was worth the pick.

"Give the guy a chance", screw that. We have had numerous backup QB's that came into Green Bay that went on to good careers elsewhere, who showed they had something while they were here. Rodgers has done zero, nothing. The Packer's smartest move would have been to pick up Quinn and then they would have had Rodgers and Quinn to bargain with.

Harrell may end up being a great player but we never will know what great CURRENT player we could have had by having the leverage of two potentially starting QB's as backups. I personally think Ingle Martin is our next QB, Rodgers is finished because after this year, 3T will be gone.

woodbuck27
07-17-2007, 04:09 PM
I feel sorry for Aaron, and when he was injured in the Patriots game, the irony was somewhat funny, but at the same time, so frustrating for him. I mean, when it happened, it just made us all go "wow", and reinforce in our minds the greatness of Brett's streak. Unfortunately for Rodgers, I just think that his inability to throw a consistent pass between 15 and 25 yards with zip on it will be his downfall. He will have to be almost perfect in every other aspect of his game to make up for that lack of skill and arm strength. I don't think he will ever be our starting QB. Justin Harrell better he an f'n probowler, because I was pissed that we didn't take Brady Quinn. He just seems to have so much more upside than Aaron. We could've probably worked a nice package on draft day to trade Aaron and get to or three or more lower picks for him. Which is what TT seems to live for, getting 15 picks a year. Five years from now, I believe we will be ranking this as the second stupidest draft move in Packers history (behind the Barry Sanders mishap).

Yup.

It's east to use hindsight but TT would have better served the Packers by electing QB Brady Quinn with the pick he used for DT Justin Harrel.

The Harrell pick exposed TT as something he's not generally noted for, or a risk taker. That injury history should have moved TT away fr. Harrell. Couple that to the fact we are deepest at DT and the Harrel pick wasn't his best option.

We are aware that Aaron Rodgers hasn't looked good (granted) in very limited action and there sat Brady Quinn ( with options ) including manufacturing another future first round pick next season.

AS TT is. How did he pass that option up? That is out of character again.

Was TT prepared to be flexible in round one of Aprils draft?

That is a question of his competency to seize the moment on some consistent basis. Re-call Aaron Rodgers falling to him three drafts ago.

Also can a team have enough really promising and young QB's to develop a franchise QB from?

I must admit that I have some compassion for the situation that Aaron Rodgers has found himself in. Many QB's have been just there before him.

The Green Bay Packers don't play Favre because he's Favre; rather because he's clearly better than Aaron Rodgers. That places Aaron in a difficult position.

Favre may well continue beyond this season inspite of all that will test him to the max. He's more aware of the reason for the plight he finds himself in, than we'll be, till his version of the story is published.

I've got this funny feeling that Brett Favre will do all he can to overcome obstacles no matter how great the challenge. He certainly knows just what that challenge will be this season, as he's more than the mere fan and one of the biggest parts of the puzzle,

He certainly knows that the fact it's a difficult one, may be all he needs to meet his needs of that challenge. That winning now isn't what's most important; rather how he contributes and plays overall.

He's not likely to simply step aside for the benefit of Aaron Rodgers as long as he feels he can serve the Packers better.

The real thrust of the challenge Favre's met with is .

Is he really wanted?

woodbuck27
07-17-2007, 04:22 PM
Part of his problem is that he hasn't had a good pre-season yet. Until that happens, I don't see his stock gaining any value. Think about some of our QB's who have gone on to bigger and better things, namely Hasselbeck. He always excelled in the pre-season if I remember correctly.

IMO, Rodgers is lucky to have been "given" the backup spot. If he wasn't TT's precious 1st round pick, I highly doubt he'd be our backup, but TT is too damn proud to admit....oh hell, nm.

Yup.

He should not have been awarded the back-up spot in 2005. It was my impression that Craig Nall had no chance (other than) to be number 3.

TT had Aaron Rodgers steping up to (even) that plate too soon. Was he ready for that annoiting? The obvious successor to Favre.

That is a heavy load on a young man that fell through the roof on draft day.

4and12to12and4
07-17-2007, 06:46 PM
Don't Agree AT ALL. Justin does not need to be a pro bowler. He just needs to be very good and very effective in his role. He could do more for us than any quarterback (especially Quinn). Shoring up our D has a bigger effect in the W column than getting an Average Quarterback in the draft. Harrell has special talent. We took somewhat of a gamble because of his injuries. One thing I will not question is his motor. The guy has passion and wants to be the best. I will take Heart over talent. He happens to have both. Only special players have both. His only question mark is his injuries and whether they will be nagging (which is why he wasn't picked sooner).
Smart Move TT. It's worth the gamble, because after all; every mid round first pick is a gamble.

I think this may be the best possible pick we could take. Wait, Wait, Wait. Patience, Patience, Patience.

Totally disagree. We have pretty good talent at defensive tackle, and though I love the idea of having even more depth there, and the ability to rotate and keep guys fresh (which is a huge advantage in the second half of games), I disagree with your statement that Quinn is an "average" QB. He was basically in an NFL type offensive complicated scheme, and having had Weiss as his head coach is a huge advantage for him to come into the NFL and contribute right away. There are plenty of signs that Brady could be much more than just an average QB. The bottom line is that all picks are a bit of a crapshoot, so you have to try to play the odds. So TT goes with an injured tackle that "may" be decent, over a QB that has felt the pressure similar to the NFL game, being in the spotlight on a weekly basis. He has all the tools to be a very good QB, and why pass up on him? Even if he doesn't pan out at first and we want to pass on him, his value on the market would be very good, we could probably trade him for a #1 pick next year if we felt he wasn't going to fit in our system. But, he has all the intangibles you want in a QB. He's a leader, confident, and is a winner. I think it was a dumb move to not take a chance on him. I think TT just felt like he owed it to Aaron to not pick him up, and that is not good GM'ing. He blew it on this pick unless Harrell is a probowl player, because I believe that Quinn will be a MUCH better replacement to Favre than Aaron. I don't think Aaron will even start more than three games for us after Favre goes down with injury or retires. He just doesn't have a strong enough arm, and doesn't seem to have good pocket instincts. He will be getting sacked everyy third play. IMO. What do I know.

Patler
07-18-2007, 12:51 AM

1st preseasons:
Hasselbeck - 8 of 22; 160 yards; 1 TD; 2 int.
Rodgers - 20 of 37; 172 yards; 1 TD; 2int.

2nd preseasons:
Hasselbeck - 35 of 51; 453 yards; 9 TD; 1 int.
Rodgers - 22 of 38; 323 yards; 3 TD; 1 int.

Other than Hasselbeck's 9 TDs in 51 attempts, which is absolutely amazing, their numbers over the first 2 preseasons were not all that different.

RashanGary
07-18-2007, 05:52 AM
Rodgers was a high pick so his expectations are high. Hasselback was a low pick so his were low. Looks like they were pretty similar with perception being the biggest difference.

GBRulz
07-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Other than Hasselbeck's 9 TDs in 51 attempts, which is absolutely amazing, their numbers over the first 2 preseasons were not all that different.

Yes, but Hass DID do something amazing!! And he wasn't a first round pick, either. I'd be curious to know the sack counts for the two as well. It just seems to be that Rodgers hangs on to the ball too long.

All I'm saying is that his pre-seasons haven't been that flashy and for a first round pick, he needs to do much better for teams to take notice.

Merlin
07-18-2007, 08:06 AM
If you watch Rodgers, he can't read the defense quick enough to make the play. So he hangs onto it and scrambles. It's like he is afraid to throw it out there. It's all about his confidence at this point. He talks the talk but no where near walks the walk.

HarveyWallbangers
08-30-2021, 11:25 PM
Nothing wrong with these quotes; Rodgers probably wants to play sooner rather than later..both for his passion of the game as well as the opportunity to get a nice raise if she shows he can succeed in the real season.

He seems like a nice guy; I never liked the pick from day one but you have to feel some empathy for him. He wants to play and if Favre plays two more years Rodgers would probably just as soon be given another opportunity.

He looked horrid before last year and looked alright in the preseason. I hope to see a Hasselbeck like Preseason performance this year.

Love that these old threads are still on here. Some people never learn. :)

smuggler
08-31-2021, 08:19 AM
I sure hope he impresses the hell out of every team we play this year. Haha

Fritz
08-31-2021, 09:02 AM

No wonder this person doesn't post any more. You couldn't be more wrong about those two QB's if you tried.

I am also struck by the number of good posters who have moved on from Packerrats for whatever reason over the years. Too bad. But life is about change.

Spaulding
08-31-2021, 09:39 AM
No wonder this person doesn't post any more. You couldn't be more wrong about those two QB's if you tried.

I am also struck by the number of good posters who have moved on from Packerrats for whatever reason over the years. Too bad. But life is about change.

Two that immediately come to mind are Patler and PBMax. Obviously missing some here but those would be my top two.

Fritz
08-31-2021, 11:49 AM
Me, too.

SudsMcBucky
08-31-2021, 12:27 PM
Reading old threads like this crack me up. Some really bad takes that didn't age well at all. LOL.

RashanGary
08-31-2021, 01:03 PM
We were in the exact situation 15 years go as now. A HOF QB approaching 40 and a young guy drafted at the end of round 1 when the team didn’t need to draft a QB.

I’m crossing my fingers for Love. It would be so disheartening for Bears fans and Vikings fans for us to have 45 years of consecutive HOF QB play. I don’t care how unlikely it is. That’s the hope!

Bretsky
08-31-2021, 07:57 PM
Love that these old threads are still on here. Some people never learn. :)

The posters who actually take strong stances are both rewarded and fleeced :)

So is Jordan Love a future Hall of Fame QB ?

How many Pro Bowls does he make ?

HarveyWallbangers
08-31-2021, 09:59 PM
The posters who actually take strong stances are both rewarded and fleeced :)

So is Jordan Love a future Hall of Fame QB ?

How many Pro Bowls does he make ?

Don’t know. Just like I didn’t know with Rodgers, but I’m encouraged. We may have the future at QB. Those are good to get before you actually need them.

Definitely worth the risk late in round 1 when a guy you like is there.

Bretsky
08-31-2021, 10:17 PM
Don’t know. Just like I didn’t know with Rodgers, but I’m encouraged. We may have the future at QB. Those are good to get before you actually need them.

Definitely worth the risk late in round 1 when a guy you like is there.

I don't know either; I was just trying to bait you into taking a stance :)

I think he may be an average NFL starting QB.

And I hope you come to bump this thread 15 years from now if Da Love Machine becomes out 3rd straight Hall of Fame QB

TateM30
09-01-2021, 06:03 AM
hope he is always looked to impress other teams....in a green bay jersey!