PDA

View Full Version : Fox Sports gives props to Daryn Colledge

Chester Marcol
07-18-2007, 02:48 PM
10 guys ready to have breakout years

2. Daryn Colledge, OG, Packers: When Colledge was thrown into the starting lineup as a rookie because of an injury-ravaged Green Bay line, most observers threw in the towel on the Pack. Colledge and the rest of one of the league's youngest units then went on to protect Brett Favre awfully well. Green Bay won its last four games, capping off the season with wins over NFC North division foes Minnesota and Chicago on national TV. Colledge, a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, will be looked to as one of the anchors this season. He'll answer the call. It's not like he hasn't before.

Whole Story (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7011378?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10239)

Badgepack
07-18-2007, 03:10 PM
Hey, my buddy Hank made the list,

10. Hank Baskett, WR, Eagles: Baskett saved his best game of the year for the regular season finale, hauling in seven passes for 177 yards and ripping off an 89-yard touchdown versus the Falcons in Week 17. He's got the size, the hands, the skills and the awareness to be a formidable NFL receiver. He could be much more than that. With Donte Stallworth gone to New England, the wideout situation is still up for grabs quite a grab in Philly. Kevin Curtis and Reggie Brown should be the first two options, but Baskett could be the big play guy.

Bretsky
07-18-2007, 04:48 PM
10 guys ready to have breakout years

2. Daryn Colledge, OG, Packers: When Colledge was thrown into the starting lineup as a rookie because of an injury-ravaged Green Bay line, most observers threw in the towel on the Pack. Colledge and the rest of one of the league's youngest units then went on to protect Brett Favre awfully well. Green Bay won its last four games, capping off the season with wins over NFC North division foes Minnesota and Chicago on national TV. Colledge, a second-round pick in the 2006 draft, will be looked to as one of the anchors this season. He'll answer the call. It's not like he hasn't before.

Whole Story (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7011378?MSNHPHCP&GT1=10239)

I could see Colledge breaking out; very good athletic ability. I wish he'd have added pounds like his coaches, but he can be successful in this system

At the beginning of last year I really liked Spitz and was down on Colledge.
But the more I watched the OL last year the more I liked the potential of Colledge and the less I liked the potential of Spitz.

MJZiggy
07-18-2007, 04:53 PM
How do you know he didn't add the weight?

Bretsky
07-18-2007, 05:02 PM

ON PR I read somewhere yesterday that the coaching staff was disappointed that College and another OL failed to put in 10 pounds of muscle. Hey, I thought you paid attention to this joint ? :lol:

MJZiggy
07-18-2007, 05:04 PM
I think that would be the thread where I asked (twice) who the author was and where he got his information because I didn't trust it to be accurate. No one answered that question by the way. Best I can tell it was just some blogger shooting off his mouth...

HarveyWallbangers
07-18-2007, 05:06 PM
Good point. McCarthy has said in audio on Packers.com that Colledge has gotten stronger in the offseason.

Philbin said Colledge met his off-season goal of improving his upper-body strength. Now, he'll embark on playing with greater consistency and beefing up his efforts in the run game.

College will return as starter here. Throughout the offseason, Colledge has been in a personalized strength and development program thats focus was to increase strength throughout his body, while also focusing on improving flexibility, body lean, and pad levels.

HarveyWallbangers
07-18-2007, 05:07 PM
I think that would be the thread where I asked (twice) who the author was and where he got his information because I didn't trust it to be accurate. No one answered that question by the way. Best I can tell it was just some blogger shooting off his mouth...

Bingo. Can't believe everything you read--especially from a source as unreliable as that one. I'd trust McCarthy more on this one. I can't find the transcript of it right now, but he was very happy with the progress Colledge and Spitz made in the offseason.

Bretsky
07-18-2007, 05:16 PM

Bingo. Can't believe everything you read--especially from a source as unreliable as that one. I'd trust McCarthy more on this one. I can't find the transcript of it right now, but he was very happy with the progress Colledge and Spitz made in the offseason.

Do you know which site it was ? I thought it was from somebody credible but must have been mistaken

HarveyWallbangers
07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
Here's the thread. You'll see Ziggy asking who the source was, and I was thinking the same thing. Looks like more Arrigo-style rumors.

http://packerrats.com/ratchat/viewtopic.php?t=7239

The current rumor du jour involves the Packers and Larry Johnson. A local TV station reported last week that the team is interested in trading for the Chiefs star running back. Here’s the problem (well, one of the problems) with that report - according to a person familiar with the situation in Kansas City, Johnson has "no desire" to finish out his career in Green Bay..... Coach Mike McCarthy is a little disappointed that second-year offensive linemen Daryn Colledge and Tony Moll were unable to pack on much weight during the offseason. While both players reduced their body fat, neither came anywhere close to gaining the prescribed 10 pounds..... Team officials expect rookie Brandon Jackson to win the starting halfback job - the only question is when. The former Nebraska star, who showed quick feet and very soft hands in last month’s OTAs, is simply a better fit for this offense than Vernand Morency..... And finally, we want to update a report from April. Back then, we wrote that defensive end Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila would command a bonus of around $10 million on the open market. Forget that. After what the Colts gave Dwight Freeney last week ($72 million for six years/$30 million bonus), one agent surmised that KGB would now be able to get at least $14 million in upfront money.

This person's rumor said that KGB would get a $14M signing bonus on the open market, said Larry Johnson would have no interest (which I think is likely complete bull also, he'll go to the highest bidder), and had the tidbit about the rookie OGs. McCarthy said numerous times in mini-camp that he was very happy with the progress Colledge and Spitz made in their weight training. I don't see any reason he'd lie.

Chester Marcol
07-18-2007, 06:39 PM
Didn't Berman call him once, Hank going to hell in a hand Baskett?

Hey, my buddy Hank made the list.

CaliforniaCheez
07-18-2007, 09:53 PM
Working hard in the weight room reduced their body fat. Is that a bad thing?

Often there is too much of this body evaluation. They measure vertical leap of offensive linemen at the NFL Combine. When is that needed in a game?

cheesner
07-18-2007, 11:07 PM
Working hard in the weight room reduced their body fat. Is that a bad thing?

Often there is too much of this body evaluation. They measure vertical leap of offensive linemen at the NFL Combine. When is that needed in a game?
Vertical leap is the best gauge of the explosive power of your legs. It not only measure strength but 'twitch'. This is vital to a OL to blow up DL at the snap.

KYPack
07-19-2007, 08:40 AM
There other things about the story that Spitz and College made negligible to no gains in their off-season training:

The strength and line coaches would be the main guys that would have the information about the young guy's progress. If it gets out that their prize lineman didn't make gains in the off-season, those guys would face some tough meetings from McCarthy. They would keep this negative story under their hat and not release it like the internet stories said they did.

Both guys make the same limited gains? I doubt it. Both guys are developing young dudes. One of 'em would get bigger. Players that age add weight and strength from natural growth. All reports had both of 'em hitting the weights and training hard. They made progress, believe it.

This has all the hallmarks of "bloggers disease" Somebody on the net had a beef with getting the young lineman in the first place. Now they are posting phony stories about these kids to buttress their claims. Call it the Tank syndrome.

Or call it a waste of time, same thing.

packers04
07-19-2007, 01:00 PM
only thing i can comment on really is that i saw a recent pic of colledge at the OTA's and his bicep looked a lot bigger than how i remembered it. so i think they have gotten bigger. I heard Tony Moll has made great progress too.

woodbuck27
07-19-2007, 01:35 PM

ON PR I read somewhere yesterday that the coaching staff was disappointed that College and another OL failed to put in 10 pounds of muscle. Hey, I thought you paid attention to this joint ? :lol:

Him and Moll, I believe, didn't get the expected weight gain.

woodbuck27
07-19-2007, 01:38 PM

You should have gone into LAW mj, or maybe, law enforcement investigations. You could have been good at that.