PDA

View Full Version : Top Players

HarveyWallbangers
07-18-2007, 05:10 PM
Found this on another site. PackerUpdate.com, I think. It's interesting.

STARTING A TEAM? GO WITH KAMPY

The subject of our previous poll was, “If you were starting an expansion team, which Packer would you choose first?” Since this is a slow time of the year for actual football news, we thought it would be interesting to see how a professional would answer that same question. So we asked a scout for some help, and not only did he give us his top choice, but also the next nine players on his wish list.

1. DE AARON KAMPMAN - “Defensive ends who can play the run and rush the quarterback are extremely rare in today’s NFL. It’s usually one or the other. Also a high-character guy and an emerging leader. What’s not to love?”

2. RT MARK TAUSCHER - “A little older than you'd like, but quality tackles are really hard to find. Has been one of the most underrated players in the league for years. Could anchor an offensive line for the next four or five seasons.”

3. LB A.J. HAWK - “This is a choice based on potential. Played pretty well as a rookie, but should be much better in the years to come. Great attitude. Loves to play the game and never gives less than 100%. You win with guys like this.”

4. LB NICK BARNETT - “People tend to forget that he’s only 26. Probably a better fit on the outside than in the middle, but has the athleticism to play in any spot and in any scheme. Just a notch below the top players at his position.”

5. LT CHAD CLIFTON - “An old 30, but how do you pass up one of the best pass blockers in the game? Makes protecting the QB seem effortless. David Carr would still be a Texan if he had a guy like this guarding his blind side.”

6. DL CULLEN JENKINS - “Based on his play late last season, a case could be made for ranking him higher. Young and versatile. May not have the skills to be a star, but works too hard not to be an effective player for many years.”

7. OL DARYN COLLEDGE - “This may be a surprise, but he showed real potential as a rookie. The fact that he could probably slide over to tackle makes him even more valuable. Needs to get stronger, but that should come in time.”

8. WR GREG JENNINGS - “Almost didn’t make the list because of the position he plays. Receivers - other than the truly elite ones - are pretty easy to find. Nevertheless, he’s a good kid who should have a long and productive career.”

9. S NICK COLLINS - “Didn’t show much improvement in his second season, but a strong finish could be a sign of things to come. Has all the physical skills, but needs to be more consistent. This will be a very important year for him.”

10. DT RYAN PICKETT - “Quietly enjoyed a very strong season in '06. Not flashy, but does exactly what you want a 325-pound tackle to do. Stout at the point and moves just well enough to make an occasional tackle outside the box.”

The scout based his selections on the performance of the players, but even more so on their age and potential for improvement. That’s why only two of the 10 players are over 27.

Packnut
07-18-2007, 05:14 PM
Gotta go with Kampman. Good LB's are all over the NFL but DE's who play the run and get to the QB are rare.

The Leaper
07-18-2007, 09:44 PM
The OTs are too high, mostly due to age. Those guys are not going to remain elite players for 5 more years, and IMO are more likely to start declining sooner rather than later.

I think I would substitute Woodson for Pickett. Woodson is more of an impact player, and probably can remain a playmaker in the secondary for 3-5 more years. I think he genuinely surprised a lot of people last year.

Collins is also pretty shaky. Once we see Harrell in camp, he may easily replace Collins on the list.

1 Kampman
2 Hawk
3 Jenkins
4 Barnett
5 Tauscher
6 Clifton
7 Colledge
8 Jennings
9 Woodson
10 Collins

HarveyWallbangers
07-18-2007, 11:03 PM
Woodson is older than the OTs, and he plays a position where players don't tend to last as long. I wouldn't be surprised if Tauscher plays at least 5 more years. I'd be shocked if we got more than 2 more good years from Woodson.

The Leaper
07-20-2007, 08:22 AM
Woodson is older than the OTs, and he plays a position where players don't tend to last as long. I wouldn't be surprised if Tauscher plays at least 5 more years. I'd be shocked if we got more than 2 more good years from Woodson.

I disagree. DBs who rely greatly on their instincts tend to last a long time in the NFL. Hell...look at Al Harris, who is 2 years older than Woodson. You are going to tell me that Al Harris is a lock to last longer than Woodson, who is going to suddenly tank in the next year or two?

DBs also do not tend to break down nearly as quickly as OL guys...who take a real pounding. Far more DBs continue to play well into their mid 30s than do OL players. And Woodson is only a couple months older than Clifton...hardly much of a difference.

I love our OTs...but let's be honest. They both are starting to break down. We've seen it in the last couple years. I didn't see ANYTHING from Woodson last year that suggested to me he was breaking down. He can EASILY be a productive player in Green Bay for 4-5 more years...and he's the kind of playmaker in the secondary that any team needs.

HarveyWallbangers
07-20-2007, 09:14 AM
Guys are going to get injured. Tauscher had an injury last year. It happens. He'd be durable for the few years before that. Clifton is definitely questionable, so who know. Woodson got nicked up all of the time in Oakland, and he did the same last year, but Thompson wisely put the games played clause in his contract.

The Leaper
07-20-2007, 09:35 AM
I just do not agree with people who look at OL guys and just automatically assume they will be great until 35 years of age. Most start to decline...and VERY RAPIDLY...in their early 30s. Look at Rivera. He went from being an elite player to a broken down relic in the course of one season.

I hope the same doesn't hold true for Clifton and Tauscher...but I'm not holding out much hope. Those guys have played A LOT of games, mostly in a power running scheme that tends to really break down the OL guys. I think Clifton is ESPECIALLY prone to a quick decline, due to the massive injuries he had to recover from early in his career from the Sapp hit. That takes a lot out of you, so I think Clifton probably has less fuel in the tank as a result.

I'm just pointing out that I find it ridiculous to think either of our OTs would be highly viewed LONG TERM PROSPECTS by a team starting up from scratch. If we get 2-3 more solid years out of them, we are very fortunate IMO.

And if those are the #2 and #5 best prospects on our team that someone starting a new team would want to go with...then we aren't doing so well. To be honest...thinking about it...they should even be lower on my list. Jennings and Colledge probably have much greater potential over the next 5-8 years, and will still be playing at a reasonably high caliber in 2007.

Noodle
07-21-2007, 10:20 PM
Sorry to be so fixated on TT tonight, but I think its' kind of interesting that of the guys on that list, the No. 1 guy was a Sherman guy, as were Barnett and Jenkins. Tausch and Clifton were of course Wolf signings. Hawk,
Collegdge, and Jennings came from TT, with Pickett being a good FA pickup.

Of course, had Walker stayed a Packer, he would have been on this list as well.

BallHawk
07-21-2007, 10:42 PM
I'd start a team with Hawk. He's about 5 years younger than Kampy and already produced great numbers in his rookie year. Good LBs are a dime a dozen, but stud LBs are few. Give me Hawk, any day.

HarveyWallbangers
07-21-2007, 10:45 PM
Sorry to be so fixated on TT tonight, but I think its' kind of interesting that of the guys on that list, the No. 1 guy was a Sherman guy, as were Barnett and Jenkins. Tausch and Clifton were of course Wolf signings. Hawk,
Collegdge, and Jennings came from TT, with Pickett being a good FA pickup.

Of course, had Walker stayed a Packer, he would have been on this list as well.

Not sure where you are going with this, but it really isn't that surprising. Thompson has been here two years, and he has 5 players on the list of 10 best long-term players. His guys aren't near the top because they haven't been in the league as the others. Sherman was GM for 3, maybe 4, years--depending on who you ask. He has 3 guys on the list. Wolf only has 2, but only because the guys he brought in are mostly 30 and older, and not many would be considered long-term starters anymore.

OS PA
07-21-2007, 11:57 PM
... Where is Driver?

Bretsky
07-22-2007, 01:11 AM
... Where is Driver?

Topic was "if you are starting a team"; maybe he was left off due to age ?