PDA

View Full Version : Gilbert Brown coming back to the Packers?

Brando19
07-18-2007, 06:15 PM
Former Green Bay Packers defensive lineman Gilbert Brown knows that the battles in the trenches often don't compare to the violence that many Milwaukee youths see on the streets. That's why Brown, 36, continues to give back to central-city youths. He's playing host to a free youth football camp at the former North Division High School, 1011 W. Center St., which runs through Thursday. The camp, from 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. rain or shine, allows Brown to share football skills with aspiring athletes and encourage them to reach their goals. In between barking out sit-up orders to more than 80 youths Tuesday, Brown took five with Journal Sentinel night city editor James E. Causey about youth violence and his predictions for the Green and Gold this season.

Q.Why did you want to organize a football camp in the heart of the central city?

A. Basically, I wanted to work from the inside out and try to feed their bodies with something positive. . . . I read about all the crime that was taking place in Milwaukee, especially with the young people, and I knew that I had to do something.

Q.What is the talent level of the youth so far?

A. It's pretty good. I brought up some kids from Detroit to see how well they matched up. So they can see the difference in playing styles and techniques. But we're not only teaching them football skills, we're teaching them leadership and discipline.

Q.Speaking of discipline, the NFL has cracked down hard on troubled players. Is that a good thing?

A. The NFL needed to do something because today's player is different. Some are there just to collect a check, and they have no respect for the game. If you don't enforce stiffer rules, then they'll start doing whatever they want.

Q.Playing nose tackle, you relied a lot on your size, but you look a lot slimmer. Can you still play?

A. I've been after Ted Thompson to take a look at me. I'm around 335 and working out.

Q. A lot has been made about the Packers not surrounding Favre with enough offensive firepower. What are your thoughts?

A. The Packers are going to have a really strong defense this year, from the linebackers to the line to the DBs. It's been said that defenses win Super Bowls. Don't get me wrong, the offense has to score, but this is (Ted) Thompson's team and we have to trust him.

BallHawk
07-18-2007, 06:45 PM
Was he joking?

Brando19
07-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I'm not sure...what's everyone think?

falco
07-18-2007, 08:59 PM
For years Gilbert has spouted off in the media about coming back to play, being in shape, wanting the GM to give him a tryout, etc.

I can remember a couple of threads over the last few years back at JSO after this...especially the year we lost Hunt and Jackson...everyone was clamoring for TT to give him a try.

falco
07-18-2007, 09:01 PM
Correction...Hunt left the year before Jackson...either way, at some point in time when we had more questions on the center of the DL, Gilbert was a popular name on the JSO boards as a potential signee.

In the where are they now category:

Hunt signed with the New York Dragons of the Arena Football League on May 23rd, 2007. He wears the number 55 and plays on the Defensive Line. In his debut for the Dragons (May 28, 2007 against the New Orleans VooDoo), he had 3.5 tackles (3 solo tackles and 1 assisted tackle).

PlantPage55
07-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Ah...the annual Gilbert Brown comeback article...Training Camp MUST be coming soon.

Scott Campbell
07-18-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm not sure...what's everyone think?

I think this same shit gets stirred up every year. And every year I think we've seen the last of these threads. Gilbert will still be talking comebacck when he's 57 years old.

the_idle_threat
07-18-2007, 11:20 PM
Yes, but maybe that's when he'll get his chance!

Tarlam!
07-19-2007, 04:44 AM
Ah...the annual Gilbert Brown comeback article...Training Camp MUST be coming soon.

Great! That made me laugh hard!

Merlin
07-19-2007, 11:45 AM
In retrospect, if you are going to draft a gamble #1 in the trenches then why not give an over the hill player a shot to? If you can get a season or two of limited solid play out of him then is that any different then hoping your #1 draft pick can fully recover from a serious injury and step up and be the guy the first snap of the season? Giving him a shot isn't as big as a gamble because first of all, Harrell is on the team, he won't be cut, and he will get the bucks. Gilbert would have to sign a vet minimum contract just to compete for the opportunity to make the team. Where's the gamble in that?

With 3T's logic, he is probably thinking he will be on the hook if Gilbert gets injured during training camp for his petty salary. Meanwhile he is hoping that Harrell is a monster even though the same could happen with him and he would be on the hook for a huge cap hit.

3T is watching his pennies and his pounds just don't matter...

woodbuck27
07-19-2007, 01:21 PM
Another Gilbert Brown comeback rumor.

NOPE !!