PDA

View Full Version : LJ still a possibility?

footballfever
07-18-2007, 07:05 PM
http://nfl.com/fantasy/story/10260550.............. Second to last question in the article mentions Larry Johnsons potential fantasy drop due to his holdout status. Michael Fabiano says not to worry a contract will get done or a trade, and mentions the Packers by name as the most likely suitor for a trade. I don't know if this issue has been hashed and rehashed on here or not so my apologies if it has. But it seems somewhat credible when a national source says that theres a good possibility of it happening, if it were to happen at all......... Any thoughts on this and what would be reasonable to give up for Johnson?

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-18-2007, 07:17 PM
Well if we do trade for LJ that means we have to give at least a first. And if we were are going to do that then I really dont see the point in us drafting Jackson with a second round pick. Thats why I never see this going down.

MJZiggy
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
When talking about players coming to GB, I'm of the philosophy that he won't until he does...

the_idle_threat
07-18-2007, 07:24 PM
Maybe we include Jackson in the trade? :idea:

Realistically, I don't see it happening. Remember that Green Bay was the "most likely" trade destination for one Randy Moss too, and that didn't happen.

TT doesn't play the game the way the media guys think he ought to. The crux of the pro-TT vs. anti-TT debate, I think, is whether one agrees with this trait that TT has.

Bretsky
07-18-2007, 07:38 PM
Stones

It would take Stones to trade a 1st for LJ

No need to comment any further

GrnBay007
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Stones

Stones = B's lil buddy......http://www.packerpalace.com/blog/TT-deerheadlights-LK.jpg

http://i10.tinypic.com/5zoox0n.gif....http://i10.tinypic.com/5zoox0n.gif

retailguy
07-18-2007, 07:44 PM
Stones

Quoted for TRUTH..... Stoneless.... I like that one. :wink:

the_idle_threat
07-18-2007, 07:46 PM
If he DID trade for LJ, would it be close enough that you would get rid of that sig, B? :)

retailguy
07-18-2007, 07:48 PM
If he DID trade for LJ, would it be close enough that you would get rid of that sig, B? :)

Nah, he'd never get rid of it because all of us would drop over dead from disbelief. :shock:

LL2
07-18-2007, 08:17 PM

Nah, he'd never get rid of it because all of us would drop over dead from disbelief. :shock:

I think your right. His likeness is morphing into the likeness of TT.

footballfever
07-18-2007, 08:26 PM
Being a big TT supporter, dont know if I should admit that out loud in here, I wish he would pull the trigger on something like this to get the naysayers off his back a lil. And restore a little faith, not only in the fans but the players as well. You have 3 drafts now, on which you said you were going to build towards the future, id have to say the time is now for those drafts to come to fruition and trade a little bit of next years draft for some impact players now. Its an easy philosophy on paper I guess, to actually do it takes a little more intestinal fortitude which our good friend TT seems to lack. As much as I support him I can't argue the STONES theory

falco
07-18-2007, 08:33 PM
The real question is, could LJ make this team a contender? If we give up our first, but it gives Brett two more years to make a serious run, is it worth it? Does TT gamble his long term stability for short term success (unlikely...)

The bigger question is, if we do trade for LJ, and we ALMOST make it to the superbowl, but have to watch someone else lose to the Patriots, what would the value have been for the 3rd round pick that would have landed Randy Moss. :shock:

Enough hypotheticals for ya?

the_idle_threat
07-18-2007, 08:42 PM
My alternative take on the STONES theory: They're an overrated rock band, big time.

Strike that.

My alternative take on the STONES theory, as related to TT: It takes STONES to formulate a plan and stick to it when seemingly everyone is crying for you to do something different.

I don't think it's a lack of STONES that makes TT do what he does. I think he simply has a different opinion than you do (and Brett Favre does) about what it will take to make the Green Bay Packers successful.

And for what it's worth, I've supported TT so far exactly because I think he would NOT trade for guy like LJ. If there's any position in the NFL that's a young man's position, it's running back. I have no problem at all with TT's youth movement there.

falco
07-18-2007, 08:55 PM
My alternative take on the STONES theory: They're an overrated rock band, big time.

Strike that.

My alternative take on the STONES theory, as related to TT: It takes STONES to formulate a plan and stick to it when seemingly everyone is crying for you to do something different.

I don't think it's a lack of STONES that makes TT do what he does. I think he simply has a different opinion than you do (and Brett Favre does) about what it will take to make the Green Bay Packers successful.

And for what it's worth, I've supported TT so far exactly because I think he would NOT trade for guy like LJ. If there's any position in the NFL that's a young man's position, it's running back. I have no problem at all with TT's youth movement there.

Idle, I agree with you 99.99%. I like TT's approach; I think you need to build through the draft, keep your core players long term, etc, etc, etc.

But when you look back at what Ron Wolf did; he made two big moves, one of which (trading for Favre) could be labeled very risky. The other (Reggie) was a big name FA signing. Without either of these moves, the Packers would have never won another SB, and Wolf's tenure might have been a lot shorter.

I'm not advocating trading for LJ; I agree he's a bit old for a RB and has a lot of miles for his age. But TT is going to need, sooner or later, to make a big move, because he's already going into his third year, and if Favre leaves this team could go back into the gutter...and send TT packing.

Bretsky
07-18-2007, 08:58 PM
Having Stones is not ALWAYS the right way to go

A close sport fanatic friend of mine asked me two days ago who the worse GM was between TT and Larry Harris. It was his question so before you blast the debate I want that on the record.

My take is they are polar opposites.

Larry Harris has huge stones; he goes out and makes things happen
TT lets things fall to him and takes one baby step at a time

But Larry Harris and his stones have led to some very poor decisions and having stones and making bad decisions is far worse than laking stones.

TT's lack of stones, in my view, turns him into a ultra conservative GM when it comes to making trades or bringing in new players.

So my take was Harris is far worse to this point; the jury is still out on TT"s long term plan.

Larry Harris has been a poor GM....and for the record I'm just fine with the Yi pick so that has not factored into my judgment of Larry Harris

Bretsky
07-18-2007, 09:00 PM

I'd love to get rid of this dam Signature, and if TT acquired LJ I think that would be reason to do it.

Truth be told, I wanted to put my website for home loan pre-approval is my signature and I fully intended that to be there by May. Someday I'll do a home loan for somebody in PR.

I never fathomed 140 days into free agency we'd have 15 Million dollars left and Frank Walker as the only free agent signed.

I welcome the day this dam sig goes.

Cheers,
B

Fritz
07-19-2007, 07:22 AM
Stones

I disagree. It would take a lack of foresight to trade for LJ.

To make a bold move for the sake of making a bold move makes no sense. LJ is not the piece that's going to put this team over the top. C'mon, Bretsky, old man, you've seen the asking price: a first rounder and then some. LJ is at the place in his career where he's going to start slip-sliding after a couple of years.

The Leaper
07-19-2007, 08:36 AM
It is even MORE stupid when you consider there are at least 2 very strong RBs that will be available in the top half of the draft next year in McFadden and Slaton.

Why give up a 1st round pick on a guy with A LOT of mileage who had success primarily due to the system he played in, which was stocked with All-Pro talent?

Any team trading for LJ is making a major mistake.

Zool
07-19-2007, 08:49 AM
LJ will be 28 this year, but he has 892 total carries in his NFL career. Priest Holmes kept LJ on the bench for a couple years as did his horrible attitude. Anyone remember Dick Vermeil calling him out to the media?

I do remember the last time the single season carries record was broken. Jamaal Anderson from Atl was pretty much worn out after that season. He had 563 in 4 years before that season, 410 that season, and 356 the next 3 years before retiring. I'm not saying this will happen, but its a factor to consider.

Here's an odd stat. In 1982 there were 3 guys (Riggins, Dorsett and Franklin) tied for the league lead in carries with 177. From 82-06 there was only one other time that the leagues leading carrier didnt break 300 carries in a season. Byner had 296 in 1990.

Are we heading back to the time of multiple backs carrying the load? Think of the early 70's Dolphins with Czonka, Kiick and Mercury Morris or the late 70's Steelers with Harris and Rocky Bleier.

retailguy
07-19-2007, 09:56 AM
Someday I'll do a home loan for somebody in PR.

I wonder if it'll be me.... :shock: :wink:

cheesner
07-19-2007, 10:16 AM
Being a big TT supporter, dont know if I should admit that out loud in here, I wish he would pull the trigger on something like this to get the naysayers off his back a lil. And restore a little faith, not only in the fans but the players as well. You have 3 drafts now, on which you said you were going to build towards the future, id have to say the time is now for those drafts to come to fruition and trade a little bit of next years draft for some impact players now. Its an easy philosophy on paper I guess, to actually do it takes a little more intestinal fortitude which our good friend TT seems to lack. As much as I support him I can't argue the STONES theoryWhat TT should have done was given Frank Walker a $15M signing bonus. Then we would have a high priced FA and we would therefore be a much better team.

BananaMan
07-19-2007, 10:40 AM
I've argued time and time again against LJ. He's a cancer and would destroy this team.

We don't need him as a player (despite what the majority thinks) and we don't need his attitude. Giving up a first rounder + more for Johnson would be Herschel Walker part 2.

Luckily, TT agrees with me and there's a snowflake's chance in hell that this trade happens.

woodbuck27
07-19-2007, 01:57 PM
Stones

I disagree. It would take a lack of foresight to trade for LJ.

To make a bold move for the sake of making a bold move makes no sense. LJ is not the piece that's going to put this team over the top. C'mon, Bretsky, old man, you've seen the asking price: a first rounder and then some. LJ is at the place in his career where he's going to start slip-sliding after a couple of years.

I agree.

He doesn't make our OL better.

He won't put Green Bay on his wish list either.