PDA

View Full Version : Nike May drop Vick as Endorsor

oregonpackfan
07-19-2007, 10:39 AM
In an article in The Oregonian today, Nike admitted they are meeting as whether to drop Michael Vick as an endorsor for their products. Vick as been indicted for charges of dog abuse and torture.

Basically, they stated they will not make a decision until the charges are finalized in court. My personal theory is that they do not want to end up being in the middle of a Duke Lacrosse players type of situation. As you recall, the lacrosse players were initially charged with raped but charges were dropped. The coach was unjustly fired before the final court decision and the players lost a season of play. Several of those players never returned to Duke.

In the past, Nike has dropped athletic sponsors due to drug use and/or inappropriate behaviors. When world class sprinter Justin Gatlin was tested positive for steroids, Nike suspended Gatlin's contract and canceled its contract with his coach, Trevor Graham.

When sprinter Marion Jones tested positive for steriods, Nike allowed her contract to ellapse.

After ML player Jason Giambi admitted steroid usage to a grand jury, Nike let him go. (Reebok signed him to a multimillion-dollar deal five months later.)

Tour de France winner Lance Armstrong has received allegations of doping but Nike has stuck with him.

Nike dropped Randy Moss after his incidents with the traffic cop and possession of drugs in 2002.

Dennis Rodman was dropped by Nike after he kicked a photographer and other bad boy antics.

Converse(owned by Nike) dropped Latrell Sprewell after he choked coach P.J. Carlesimo in 1997.

Poor behavior and drug use certainly has many ethical and legal implications for star athletes. It also has financial implications for these same athletes when they lose their financial endorsements. I can't help but feel that some athletes are more concerned by losing their endorsements than they are the legal or ethical aspects of their actions.

Rastak
07-19-2007, 10:46 AM
In an article in The Oregonian today, Nike admitted they are meeting as whether to drop Michael Vick as an endorsor for their products. Vick as been indicted for charges of dog abuse and torture.

Basically, they stated they will not make a decision until the charges are finalized in court. My personal theory is that they do not want to end up being in the middle of a Duke Lacrosse players type of situation.

Yea, in some ways that's a good comparison but in other ways it isn't.
An attack like that (Duke) is frequently a he said/she said deal. This is finding bloody kennels, 17 dead dogs, dog fighting equipment and reportedly 4 participants who have agreed to be eye witnesses that sheisthead Vick was running the show and financing it. Across state lines no less. Gambling no less. Mr Vick, meet Mr RICO laws. His sorry ass could very easily be residing in a federal prison within a year. Due to the extremely upsetting details of the accusations, I think they are morons for even considering trying to ride this out. Nike will only lose on this deal.

Brandon494
07-19-2007, 11:08 AM
WHO CARES?

Zool
07-19-2007, 11:11 AM
WHO CARES?Bad Newz Kennelz will suffer without its cash cow.

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 11:14 AM
I agree with Ras, this isn't just fables and lies, there's solid evidence. I can't imagine Nike hanging onto him.

Merlin
07-19-2007, 11:32 AM
If you look at how major sponsors handle other athletes and their much smaller improprieties, Vick is being given a HUGE benefit of the doubt. There is a lot of evidence and face it, the guy is a dick. The media makes or breaks everyone and everything in this country. He is still a darling to them and until they turn on him, don't expect much to happen to him.

Remember all that matters is what the media has to say. If the media is for something or someone, then it automatically becomes the truth and visa versa.

woodbuck27
07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
I agree with Ras, this isn't just fables and lies, there's solid evidence. I can't imagine Nike hanging onto him.

A no brainer.

Scott Campbell
07-19-2007, 07:54 PM
Until they do, GO ADIDAS!

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 09:14 PM
July 19 (Bloomberg) -- Nike Inc. suspended the introduction of Atlanta Falcons quarterback Michael Vick's latest shoe two days after a federal grand jury indicted him for allegedly conspiring to run a dog-fighting operation from a home he owned in Virginia.

Nike, the world's largest athletic-shoe maker, is concerned about the ``highly disturbing allegations'' and decided to postpone the release of Vick's shoe, spokesman Dean Stoyer said today. The shoe would be the National Football League player's fifth for the company.

``We do believe that Michael Vick should be afforded the same due process as any citizen; therefore we have not terminated our relationship,'' Stoyer said in a statement. ``We have, however, made the decision to suspend the release of the Zoom Vick V and related marketing communications.''

Falcons owner Arthur Blank, who was on vacation when a grand jury indicted Vick and three other men July 17, said the team needed to consider ``a wide range of interests and legal issues'' before deciding how to respond to the situation, ``including our need to respect the due process that Michael is entitled to.''

``Also, this situation affects everyone -- our club, our players and associates, our sponsors, our fans and the Atlanta community among them -- so we must consider all our customers in making any decisions,'' Blank said in a statement.

Arraignment Next Week

Beaverton, Oregon-based Nike will also continue to monitor Vick's legal situation, Stoyer said. Vick is scheduled for arraignment next week.

Vick has worked with Nike throughout his six NFL seasons. The company based several advertisements around him, one which was dubbed ``The Michael Vick Experience.''

Nike suspended its relationship with Olympic- and world- champion sprinter Justin Gatlin last summer after he was banned from track for eight years for testing positive for excessive levels of testosterone.

Wayne Pacelle, president of the Humane Society of the United States, in June sent a letter to Nike asking the company to disassociate itself from Vick. Pacelle said that the group was asking Vick's sponsors to drop him and called for his suspension from the NFL.

`Dark Cloud'

``This goes beyond the pale,'' Pacelle said in an interview. ``I don't see how this guy can suit up with this dark cloud hanging over him.''

Russell Simmons, chairman of Rush Communications and co- founder of Def Jam Recordings, joined Pacelle, the Rev. Al Sharpton, and People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals President Ingrid Newkirk in signing a letter July 18 to the league and Vick's sponsors calling dog fighting ``an atrocity.''

``We will evaluate and monitor the prosecutors and judges responsible for protecting the innocent and helpless,'' said a copy of the letter posted on PETA's web site.

AirTran Airways, which has a hub in Atlanta, said in May that it wouldn't renew its sponsorship agreement with Vick, who appeared in billboards and radio advertisements. Vick's publicist blamed AirTran after the quarterback failed to arrive to speak before Congress the previous month.

Another company shown as a sponsor on Vick's web site, Coca-Cola Co.'s Powerade, ended dealings with Vick three years ago when it changed its marketing strategy, spokeswoman Susan Stribling said.

Good to see that Nike, as well as other companies, are pulling their plug on Vick. In addition to the shoes, Nike is also pulling various Michael Vick T-Shirts from stores.

Scott Campbell
07-19-2007, 09:24 PM
I wonder when the head shops will start pulling their line of Ron Mexico secret pot compartments.

KYPack
07-19-2007, 10:27 PM
Nike dropped him tonite.

Couldn't have happened to a bigger jerk-off.

oregonpackfan
07-20-2007, 04:32 PM
Nike dropped him tonite.

Couldn't have happened to a bigger jerk-off.

KY,

Have you heard something I have not heard? What I do know is that Nike held off releasing the $100 Zoom Vick V shoe which was supposed to be released August 23rd. Witholding this specially developed shoe is costing the company quite a bit. According to The Oregonian, Nike was projecting to sell 200,000 pairs of those shoes.

Nike is also pulling off the shelves the Vike "Hero" T-shirt sold at its commerical outlets.

I have not heard if Nike has officially dropped Vick altogether as a sponsor.

Supposedly, there was a planned demonstration at Nike Headquarters in Beaverton(just west of Portland) at 1:00 p.m.PST today. I do not know if that demonstration took place or what happened.

I live just 7 miles from Nike. It would be interesting if you heard something across the country before I did. With modern communication, it can happen! :)