View Full Version : Getting Harrell and the Rooks signed soon

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 05:46 PM
Team optimistic Harrell will sign soon
Packers hope for no holdout
By ROB REISCHEL
Special to Packer Plus
Posted: July 18, 2007
The Green Bay Packers have been one of the NFL's more successful teams when it comes to getting their draft picks into camp on time. And 2007 could very well follow a similar script.

To date, Green Bay has signed five of its 11 draft picks. That list includes safety Aaron Rouse (third round), offensive linemen Allen Barbre (fourth), wide receiver David Clowney (fifth), tight end Clark Harris (seventh) and running back DeShawn Wynn (seventh).

Now comes the tough stuff, though.

First-round defensive tackle Justin Harrell, taken with the 16th overall pick, will be the most difficult deal to do. But Eugene Parker, who represents Harrell and has a long working relationship with the Packers, is hopeful his client will be to camp on time.

Players are scheduled to report July 27 and the first practice is at 2 p.m. July 28.

"I've had good, positive relationships with the Packers and (negotiator) Andrew (Brandt) and I'd expect that will continue," Parker said. "It's hard to say how smooth something will go. But I'm optimistic."

The two sides have had some initial discussions. But Parker and Brandt didn't think things would heat up until later this week.

Parker represents wide receiver Greg Jennings and has also handled former Packers Ahmad Carroll and Hardy Nickerson. So Parker and Brandt have done their share of deals together.

"There's always additional challenges with a No. 1 pick," Brandt said. "But we've known each other 20 years. We'll work together on this."

Last year's 16th overall pick, safety Jason Allen of Miami, signed a six-year contract that included up to $9 million in guaranteed money. But Allen held out 10 days, was the second-to-last first-round draft pick to sign and played from behind all season.

In fact, Allen struggled to pick up the defensive scheme and didn't play a defensive snap until Week 7. He finished the year with just 20 tackles and was moved to cornerback this off-season.

The Packers hope to have much better luck with Harrell.

Harrell has had major issues with durability throughout his career. But both sides said that wouldn't play a part in the negotiations.

"That won't matter," Parker said. "They drafted him."

Harrell missed the final 10 games of his senior year at Tennessee with a partially torn biceps tendon. He also underwent surgeries on his leg and ankle earlier in his Tennessee career.

Harrell didn't take part in any contact drills during Green Bay's post-draft minicamps and OTA's. Harrell has been cleared, though, to fully participate when training camp begins.

If Harrell is going to be more than a bit player in 2007, though, it's imperative for the Packers to get him to camp on time.

Harrell is already behind because his work this spring was limited. And it's been nearly a year now since he's experienced live contact.

So if Harrell is standing on the sideline for long, the chances of him cracking a deep defensive line might be slim.

"As we all know when you get to training camp, we'll be playing real football with the pads and so forth," Packers coach Mike McCarthy said. "You learn a lot about the individuals from their movement, foot quickness and leg strength, things like that. But it's a different game when you put the pads on, so that will be the true test."

So far, Chicago tight end Greg Olsen, the 31st overall pick, is the only first-round draft pick to sign. And there might not be much movement with Harrell until some of the other first-round deals are done.

The Packers' rookie salary pool is $4.907 million, and they'll have to squeeze 11 draft picks into that window. Green Bay's rookie pool was $6.647 million in 2006 when the Packers had 12 draft picks. But one of those was A.J. Hawk, the No. 5 overall pick, who commanded far more money than Harrell will see.

It will be a challenge for Brandt to stay below that rookie cap number and he might need some creative deals to do so.

The first five contracts that the Packers have completed were all four-year deals.

Rouse's contract was for four years, $2.3 million and included a $649,000 signing bonus. Barbre's package was four years, $2.1 million with a $436,000 signing bonus.

Clowney's four-year deal was for a total of $1.8 million and included a $170,000 signing bonus. Wynn got $50,000 to sign his four-year, $1.7 million contract. And Harris received a four-year, $1.7 million deal with a $41,000 signing bonus.

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 05:50 PM
Packers

SIGNED:
3.(89) S Aaron Rouse, Virginia Tech
4.(119) OT Allen Barbre, Missouri Southern St.
5.(157) WR David Clowney, Virginia Tech
7.(228) RB Deshawn Wynn, Florida
7.(243) TE Clark Harris, Rutgers
UNSIGNED:
1.(16) DT Justin Harrell, Tennessee
2.(63) RB Brandon Jackson, Nebraska
3.(78) WR James Jones, San Jose St.
6.(191) LB Korey Hall, Boise St.
6.(192) LB Desmond Bishop, California
6.(193) K Mason Crosby, Colorado

Bears

SIGNED:
1.(31) TE Greg Olsen, Miami
3.(93) RB Garrett Wolfe, Northern Illinois
3.(94) LB Michael Okwo, Stanford
4.(130) OG Josh Beekman, Boston College
5.(167) S Kevin Payne, Louisiana-Monroe
5.(168) CB Corey Graham, New Hampshire
7.(221) CB Trumaine McBride, Mississippi
7.(241) OT Aaron Brant, Iowa St.
UNSIGNED:
2.(62) DE Dan Bazuin, Central Michigan

Lions

SIGNED:
7.(255) CB Ramzee Robinson, Alabama
UNSIGNED:
1.(2) WR Calvin Johnson, Georgia Tech
2.(43) QB Drew Stanton, Michigan St.
2.(58) DE Ikaika Alama-Francis, Hawaii
2.(61) S Gerald Alexander, Boise St.
4.(105) CB A.J. Davis, North Carolina St.
4.(117) OG Manuel Ramirez, Texas Tech
5.(158) LB Johnny Baldwin, Alabama A&M

Vikings

SIGNED:
6.(176) LB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma
7.(217) QB Tyler Thigpen, Coastal Carolina
7.(233) WR Chandler Williams, Florida International
UNSIGNED:
1.(7) RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
2.(44) WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina
3.(72) CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno St.
4.(102) DE Brian Robison, Texas
5.(146) WR Aundrae Allison, East Carolina

4and12to12and4
07-19-2007, 06:11 PM
Now, signing these guys doesn't dip at all into our overall cap space in which we're in the top ten in the league, because it is a seperated cap expense just for rookies, correct?

CaliforniaCheez
07-19-2007, 11:42 PM
The rookie cap is a subset of the overall cap. Think of it as a cap with in the cap.

CaliforniaCheez
07-19-2007, 11:46 PM
The Packers have failed to sign all their draft picks before the opening of training camp since 2001.

It is likely they will fail to do it again this year.

There is a week until training camp begins and less than half of the draft picks have been signed.

Why should it be any different than the last 6 years?

Rastak
07-20-2007, 06:24 AM
Packers

[Vikings

SIGNED:
6.(176) LB Rufus Alexander, Oklahoma
7.(217) QB Tyler Thigpen, Coastal Carolina
7.(233) WR Chandler Williams, Florida International
UNSIGNED:
1.(7) RB Adrian Peterson, Oklahoma
2.(44) WR Sidney Rice, South Carolina
3.(72) CB Marcus McCauley, Fresno St.
4.(102) DE Brian Robison, Texas
5.(146) WR Aundrae Allison, East Carolina

Actually both Robison and Allison signed the last two days.....

Fritz
07-20-2007, 07:51 AM
I don't recall any Packer rook signing so late it messed up his season.

If I were any of those 6th round picks, though, I'd be looking for a pen ASAP.

rpiotr01
07-20-2007, 02:56 PM
Didn't Hawk miss a few days of camp last year?

The Leaper
07-20-2007, 03:01 PM
Green Bay has done a very good job getting these things wrapped up prior to camp recently. I expect that to continue this season.

The Leaper
07-20-2007, 03:06 PM
Didn't Hawk miss a few days of camp last year?

I thought he missed the first practice of camp, because they worked out the deal JUST prior to the start of camp...but by the time the contract was printed, double checked and signed the first practice was already complete.

CaliforniaCheez
07-21-2007, 02:26 AM
The last first rounder signed on time was Bubba Franks.

It seems to be Andrew Brandt's style to call the bluff and have it said that "the first rounder is missing camp!!" The press call the agent and want to know "how long will he have his client holding out?"

They then seem to sign.

I am one who wants them in camp; but I'm sure Andrew has saved the Packers millions by holding firm. It saves the player money as he is right away in and behind at training camp and doesn't have time to spend the money.

Rastak
07-21-2007, 07:52 AM
The last first rounder signed on time was Bubba Franks.

It seems to be Andrew Brandt's style to call the bluff and have it said that "the first rounder is missing camp!!" The press call the agent and want to know "how long will he have his client holding out?"

They then seem to sign.

I am one who wants them in camp; but I'm sure Andrew has saved the Packers millions by holding firm. It saves the player money as he is right away in and behind at training camp and doesn't have time to spend the money.

I doubt he's saving that much. The agents are busy, the agents drag their feet waiting to see where all the players around the guy fall salary wise. It's a weird dance and it seems almost every team signs their first round guy at the start of or a day after camp opens.....all around the league.

LL2
07-21-2007, 08:05 AM
It saves the player money as he is right away in and behind at training camp and doesn't have time to spend the money.

I'm sure they find time to go buy their Escalade. They are not going to show up in that Kia they drove in college.

run pMc
07-23-2007, 10:29 AM
PIT just signed Timmons (#15 pick), so that along w/ last year's rookie pay scale should help set some more limited negotiating parameters. I would be surprised if Harrell misses a day or two of practice. The other picks will be signing very soon. I'd like to see Jackson sign.

wist43
07-23-2007, 11:18 AM
Harrell is going to start regardless of when he gets signed - unless he shows that he is either still injured, or he stinks from the git-go, which I don't think will be the case.

Can't see TT not putting pressure on the coaching staff to start Harrell regardless... he took too much heat for the pick - Harrell will be starting.

The guys with something on the line are the guys who are either fighting for a starting spot, or are simply fighting to make the roster.

CaliforniaCheez
07-23-2007, 01:00 PM
Skeptical Rat,

I think with the injury recovery and being a rookie he will be worked in slowly. I expect he will be put in on pass rush situations first and then work in on other situations over the course of the year.

wist43
07-23-2007, 01:33 PM
Harrell is a run stuffer, anything they get out of him in terms of pass rush is a bonus... Williams will come in in pass rushing situations.

As I said, TT took a ton of heat for the pick... he'll make sure he's visible. If Harrell can come in and stop the run consistantly, I'll be happy with that.

Packnut
07-23-2007, 01:41 PM
Harrell is a run stuffer, anything they get out of him in terms of pass rush is a bonus... Williams will come in in pass rushing situations.

As I said, TT took a ton of heat for the pick... he'll make sure he's visible. If Harrell can come in and stop the run consistantly, I'll be happy with that.

I do believe the plan is to Move Jenkins inside with Pickett and have Kampman and KGB on the edge in passing situations. That is what they were doing near the end last season.

pittstang5
07-23-2007, 01:56 PM
I do believe the plan is to Move Jenkins inside with Pickett and have Kampman and KGB on the edge in passing situations. That is what they were doing near the end last season.

Hell, maybe they'll even line up Jenkins and Williams on the inside together. He (Williams) did really good at the end of last year.

When you think about it, the Pack has a alot of nice options on the D-line. Now they have two very good run stuffers in Harrell (fingers crossed) and Picket. Two decent pass rushing DTs in Williams and Jenkins. Jenkins will also play DE in run situations. KGB as the DE pass rusher on 3rd and long and other passing situations. Then you have Kampman, who is solid in every situation. Hell, I even remember seeing Kampman line up inside once and a while. The possibilities are endless.

Packnut
07-23-2007, 01:59 PM

Hell, maybe they'll even line up Jenkins and Williams on the inside together. He (Williams) did really good at the end of last year.

When you think about it, the Pack has a alot of nice options on the D-line. Now they have two very good run stuffers in Harrell (fingers crossed) and Picket. Two decent pass rushing DTs in Williams and Jenkins. Jenkins will also play DE in run situations. KGB as the DE pass rusher on 3rd and long and other passing situations. Then you have Kampman, who is solid in every situation. Hell, I even remember seeing Kampman line up inside once and a while. The possibilities are endless.

Yep, which is why I'm pretty high on our D.

woodbuck27
07-23-2007, 03:18 PM
Skeptical Rat,

I think with the injury recovery and being a rookie he will be worked in slowly. I expect he will be put in on pass rush situations first and then work in on other situations over the course of the year.

I don't believe that Justin Harrell will be sitting on the bench ready for insertion on third down plays (passing downs), or that he has to go to school in 2007.

He's touted as a talented and strong DT Vs. the run, and will be expected to make a contribution on opening day.

TT picked Justin Harrell in round one this season when we had need all over. That means TT has placed a ton of presure on himself with that selection. That means Harrell will have to be made ready by the HC,coachs and trainers and perform his best in the trench not on the bench and hopefully not again on the DL.

As long as he's healthy? Uhhhhh !!??

Why do we have to even consider a first round pick in terms of that qualifier? If. . .he's healthy.

He's often been not that (or unhealthy) in his past, and that should have been a factor in a decision to draft him. Especially, an important consideration for a first round selection.

I'd much rather that we're exited over that NO. 1 pick.

As we were over AJ Hawk last season, not, again disappointed as I certainly was with the NO. 1 pick in 2005. Aaron Rodgers was a poor pick and in time that will be graded as a waisted pick by Packer fans.Today we remain hopeful but really. . . .

We shouldn't be holding our breath wondering if Justin Harrell will be healthy enough to play. Any College eligible palyer with a history of health or attitude should not go on the board as a first round choice.

That certainly must apply to a lineman.

This is the NFL we are talking here, not College ball.

wist43
07-24-2007, 06:59 AM
The DL rotation will likely look like this:

1st/2nd down (run downs)
RDE - Jenkins
DT - Harrell
NT - Pickett
LDE - Kampman

3rd/passing situations
RDE - KGB
DT - Jenkins
DT - Williams
LDE - Kampman

Also in the mix, probably every 3rd/4th series and in mop-up duty, I'd expect Jolly, Cole, Hunter, and Montegomery to get PT as well.