PDA

View Full Version : For the Optomist Club

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 06:07 PM
Optimists club eager for season to start
Posted: July 18, 2007

Green Bay - If there is power in positive thinking, the Green Bay Packers should start dusting off a spot to place their fourth Super Bowl trophy, the 13th piece of championship hardware in team history.

In fact, there is so much positive energy inside the walls at 1265 Lombardi Ave. that you would think the reincarnation of Norman Vincent Peale has replaced John Jones as president of the Packers.

Of course, upbeat vibes at this time of year are always plentiful among the 32 NFL teams. There are nearly as many optimists out there as arrest warrants. Hey, when you're on vacation, training camp is still more than a week away and you can't lose a game that matters until September, life is beautiful.

But the buzz in Titletown, spewing from administrators, coaches and players - veterans and rookies - seems a little over the top this year, even in a state where optimism about the pro football team is an annual export.

"The World Championship is what we're looking for." Hmmm . . . Those words came from Shaun Bodiford, a second-year wide receiver you might think would put winning a job ahead of a Super Bowl.

Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila is among the most outspoken of the Packers, "If Chicago can do it, I think we can do it."

Then there's James Jones, the wide receiver drafted in the third round, who said, "It's just about working together, being a team now, so we can strive to get this championship."

Or how about fifth-round draft choice David Clowney, who is thinking well beyond earning a spot on the roster: "I'm loving it. I'm very excited. Just knowing the fact that we have the opportunity to be a Super Bowl-winning team. We have the talent here."

Of course, confidence is to be expected, especially with young players who have known nothing but success. You don't make it to the NFL by lurking timidly in the shadows.

But among the most outspoken is Kabeer Gbaja-Biamila, the eighth-year defensive end who knows all about winning and losing, succeeding and failing.

"If Chicago can do it, I think we can do it," Gbaja-Biamila said. "Because I think we're a better team than Chicago."

"KGB's" words might become bulletin-board material for the Bears, the defending National Football Conference champions and losers of the Super Bowl to the Indianapolis Colts.

But if you're a fan of these Packers, you love to hear them talk the talk. You much prefer their battle cry to be, "Super Bowl, here we come!" rather than, "We suck! We can't win. Please don't hurt us!"

But where does this positive approach and optimism come from? After all, this is a team with a 12-20 record over the past two seasons.

Maybe it was born at Soldier Field last New Year's Eve. Maybe these Packers see themselves as the team that routed the Bears, 26-7, in the season finale, not the one that opened 2006 by taking a 26-0 thrashing from Chicago.

Maybe these Packers see themselves as a team on a roll. Maybe they see themselves not as an 8-8 team from a year ago, but as a juggernaut smokin' into the 2007 season on a four-game winning streak.

The critics, the so-called "experts," of course, see something else.

The critics see a Bears team that played dead in Chicago because their focus was on the playoffs.

The critics see a winning streak that was built with victories over three losing teams - San Francisco, Detroit and Minnesota - with a combined record of 16-32.

The critics see a Green Bay team with a shaky, no-name running game after losing Ahman Green to Houston.

They see a team led by Brett Favre, an aging quarterback with a banana peel in his immediate future.

They see an offense with no tight end to catch the ball and stretch the field.

They see a defense with a big question mark where the strong safety should be.

Of course, many of these critics are sportswriters who couldn't find a positive thought with a bloodhound and MapQuest. (But hey, it's what we do).

Most of the critics see the Packers finishing second to the Bears in the NFC North and out of the playoffs. And some see them in third, behind the Lions.

Ted Thompson isn't one of those critics, which is good, because as general manager he's the lad who put this team together.

"We want to win and we want to win now." Thompson told Rob Reischel of Packer Plus. " . . . I'm ready to win. I think it's time for this team to win and I think we're ready to do that."

By winning, Thompson isn't talking about finishing second or third in the NFC North. He isn't talking about 8-8. But you don't hear much of that talk outside of Green Bay or Packer Nation.

And Thompson's head coach, Mike McCarthy, isn't interested in anything short of the Vince Lombardi Trophy.

"Until we achieve the ultimate success of winning the Super Bowl, we will not be satisfied," McCarthy said. "I'll never be completely satisfied until we reach the top."

The experts see the New England Patriots, who loaded up with talent such as Randy Moss, breezing to the Super Bowl then beating the New Orleans Saints, or Dallas Cowboys, or maybe the Bears for the championship.

And the Packers? Well, in the national chatter right now they aren't even part of the conversation.

But clearly, they have plans to interrupt.

GrnBay007
07-19-2007, 06:33 PM
Count me in!!!

:glug:

:cow:

:wave:

packinpatland
07-19-2007, 06:59 PM
I think we are all members, whether some will admit it or not. :wink:

GrnBay007
07-19-2007, 07:01 PM

I understand. Sometimes they get weak, run down, maybe a lil afraid.......but we are here to keep them on track, pump them up during their moments of despair. :P Our work is never done.

Joemailman
07-19-2007, 07:34 PM
As our old friend Tex would say, "This team is so set up for success, only you defeatist morons and McCarthy haters would fail to see it."

b bulldog
07-19-2007, 07:38 PM
let the season begin :D

GrnBay007
07-19-2007, 07:39 PM
As our old friend Tex would say, "This team is so set up for success, only you defeatist morons and McCarthy haters would fail to see it."

Exactly! BUT you forgot the idiot statements concerning the detractors. :P

Scott Campbell
07-19-2007, 07:41 PM

You forgot "ingrate traitors".

:D

packinpatland
07-19-2007, 07:43 PM

I understand. Sometimes they get weak, run down, maybe a lil afraid.......but we are here to keep them on track, pump them up during their moments of despair. :P Our work is never done.

It's a tough job, but someone has to do it. :roll:

Rastak
07-19-2007, 08:29 PM

"We were Superbowl bound before injuries and bad luck ruined our season"

good ole Tex.....

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 08:42 PM
Too bad ole Tex doesn't join us; I miss his comments on how the anti Packer detractors would rather see the team fail and be right than see them succeed.

For the record Tex was over at JS predicting 11-5 or 12-4

Scott Campbell
07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
Too bad ole Tex doesn't join us; I miss his comments on how the anti Packer detractors would rather see the team fail and be right than see them succeed.

Yeah, and too bad Tank can't join us. I miss all his anti-Polar Turtle comments.

:shock:

oregonpackfan
07-19-2007, 09:10 PM

Ah yes, let the unbridled optimism of pre-camp blossom!

Anyone who thinks the Packers will not be in the Super Bowl is an "Effete Snob,"(shades of Spiro Agnew), unpatriotic, or a pervert who tries to trip little old ladies as they cross the street! :)

KYPack
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM

I was always waiting for Tex to come out with a "nattering nabobs of negativism" comment.

(That's Agnew, too.)

Actually I couldn't stand Tex's knee jerk positive comments. Intellectual shorthand. The boy never put any thought into his stuff. He just came out his pre-programmed junk.

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually I couldn't stand Tex's knee jerk positive comments. Intellectual shorthand. The boy never put any thought into his stuff. He just came out his pre-programmed junk.

Oh, c'mon, that guy was one of the best parts of that forum. :D

Rastak
07-19-2007, 09:31 PM

Actually I agree with both of you guys...he was the best part of the forum but he was also an idiot.

Scott Campbell
07-19-2007, 09:35 PM

I was always waiting for Tex to come out with a "nattering nabobs of negativism" comment.

(That's Agnew, too.)

It's like he was on the Packer PR payroll. I like goofy commercials too, so I didn't mind the comments so much. It's good to have characters in the forum, even if you don't agree with them. There's something to be said for entertainment value.

But thank god that some of you guys really know your X's and O's.

4and12to12and4
07-19-2007, 09:55 PM
I absolutely love the fact that the players young and old have their eye on a division Championship, and the Superbowl. Confidence is way underrated. If a team goes out on the field expecting to win, they simply play better, especially in the critical 4th quarter. I love the attitude these guys have. They believe in themselves, and the coaches, and the scheme. What more could you ask for. Let's just pray they all stay healthy. I think that will be the key to getting into the playoffs. If we have three or four major contrbutors go down with injury, our season is over. If we stay relatively healthy, we are going to be surprising many "experts". There really is a lot of young and veteran talent on this team, and I think if they play with the confidence they are talking with right now, this will be a special year. I'm keeping my fingers and toes ccrossed. (Wait, is that a double wammy, do the toes retract the luck of the fingers?). Oh well, here's to all our players staying on the field this year.

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 10:02 PM

Agree; in between some arguing I found him incredibly entertaining

KYPack
07-19-2007, 10:26 PM

Some posters dug him, I didn't.

My favorite Tex deal was about two weeks after we lost Wahle and Rivera.

The JSO came out with an article that said "Guards are a dime a dozen, the Pack will be back" etc.

The next day, Tex came out with a post that started "Now that we've solved the guard problem"...

hey, uh Tex, we ain't solved shit, that was a JSO puff piece, you boob.

I like a positive attitude, too, but I wouldn't want to go mountain climbing or anything with 'ol Tex.

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 10:36 PM
Tex makes Kool-Aid drinkers on here look like hardcore pessimists.

Tarlam!
07-20-2007, 03:16 AM
Yo, KY! Please don't be so hard on Tex;

i loved him on FYI. He is a Madman.....Even our Woody would have little chance against Tex.

KYPack
07-20-2007, 07:48 AM
Yo, KY! Please don't be so hard on Tex;

i loved him on FYI. He is a Madman.....Even our Woody would have little chance against Tex.

I know. Tex just wasn't my cuppa tea.

Fer instance, I never went into FYI.

If I wanna read about politics, I'd go to a political forum. The only time I wandered into FYI was when a poster I dig said that "you gotta read what so & so posted in FYI". With that exposure, I know Tex was the Queen of FYI.

FYI ain't anything I'm interested in. Tex's football acumen was limited drastically by his constant cheerleading:

"Boerighter will be a solid #3 reciever"

"Klemm and Whittaker will solve the guard problem"...

That was the kind of stuff the guy posted and it was wrong a lot. After awhile, I reached the conclusion that the guy didn't know anything about football. At the end of last year, he posted an analysis of the team and it was pretty damned good. In fact, I was surprised he knew that much about football, I hadn't seen much evidence of that in the past.

I had long before reached the conclusion to ignore Tex. A LOT of posters really liked him, so it'd be annoying to get in a shit fit with the guy all the time.

I just let the boy wave his Green & Gold pom-pom's and admire the poster of Rush Limbaugh he's got nailed to the ceiling of his bedroom.

Zool
07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Only problem I have with Tex is his clear and present racism. Other than that, he's a funny guy to read.

Harlan Huckleby
07-20-2007, 10:51 AM
Tex is here, he just has a different name. Can you guess who?

KYPack
07-20-2007, 02:32 PM

Harlan Huckleby?

Guess I missed the racist stuff.

One other thing about Tex, he was a true Green & Gold Packer fan, so he was my brother, even if he was a dedicated pom-pomer

Tarlam!
07-20-2007, 02:53 PM

Please, don't be stirring no shit. I don't believe Tex is posting here, but if it is so....fine.

wist43
07-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I can't say I've really had any great battles with Tex, he was a caricature almost, which is to say there was no debate with Tex, it was just bombastic bombs lobbed all over the place.

He labeled me, "The Great Satan of all Detractors" :twisted: ... always makes me smile. As a result, I have a begrudging soft spot for dear old Tex - only him and my wife could ever have dreamed that one up. :)

Joemailman
07-20-2007, 04:34 PM
I can't say I've really had any great battles with Tex, he was a caricature almost, which is to say there was no debate with Tex, it was just bombastic bombs lobbed all over the place.

He labeled me, "The Great Satan of all Detractors" :twisted: ... always makes me smile. As a result, I have a begrudging soft spot for dear old Tex - only him and my wife could ever have dreamed that one up. :)

Perhaps your Rat Name should be Satanic Rat. :mrgreen: :satan:

the_idle_threat
07-20-2007, 06:28 PM
Tex is an Internet legend, if only in his own mind. I enjoyed his routine, for the most part.

KYPack
07-20-2007, 06:41 PM

Actually, I should've suggested you as the hidden "Tex" in reply to Harlan's post.

That would've been funnier.

GrnBay007
07-20-2007, 06:51 PM

naa, Satanic sounds bad. How about DD - Detractor Dude

Rastak
07-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Tex is an Internet legend, if only in his own mind. I enjoyed his routine, for the most part.

Me too....although I had to shake my head at most of it. The absolute funniest part was that I got the impression he really believed the incredible
idiocy he spouted. The closest thing I can equate to it is Archie Bunker's speeches. Funny as hell and alarming anyone would believe the content to be true.

Well, Tex wasn't wrong all the time like Archie Bunker, but even when he was right he was somehow off the mark.

the_idle_threat
07-20-2007, 07:16 PM
Yeah ... on occasion, when he'd say things I generally agree with, I'd feel a little dirty.

GrnBay007
07-20-2007, 07:22 PM
Yeah ... on occasion, when he'd say things I generally agree with, I'd feel a little dirty.

LOL @ dirty!

MJZiggy
07-21-2007, 12:20 AM

naa, Satanic sounds bad. How about DD - Detractor Dude

I thought he got dubbed Eeyore Rat.

LL2
07-21-2007, 08:15 AM
Count me in the OC (optomistic club). Look at the young talented Brewers still leading their division. I remember hearing the national media talking heads saying the Brewers are decent but will not be leading half way through and stuff like that back in April, May and June.

The Packers could be a surprise team this year, but they could very well suck (but that's not an OC view). M3 must be doing something right to have the players talking positive like that and about playing as a team. That is how the Patriots began their winning ways a few years ago.