PDA

View Full Version : Weaknesses

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-19-2007, 08:15 PM
Earlier today I was thinking about what are the weaknesses on the Packers. By weaknesses I mean positions that MUST be upgraded with better talent for the pack to compete for a championship.

These are the positions were I don't see much and I think need to be upgraded:

1) TE; Franks, lee, and Harris don’t scare anyone. We need a guy that can stretch the field and cause mismatches down the middle.

2.) WR; This teams needs a big play WR who either can go up and get the jump ball like a Walker ( :wink: ) or someone with amazing speed like a Steve Smith.

3) CB; Don’t get me wrong I love our starters, but they cant play forever and the only guy I see with some potential is Blackman.

4) DE; If Jenkins proves that those four games were not just because of the teams we played then were fine here, but I would love to find another dominate end to complete our line.

Just missed as weaknesses:

S; While this is a weakness as of now with Manuel, I don’t think that safety position will be a problem in the future. Between Rouse, Collins, Underwood, and Culver I think we can find two solid starters EVENTUALLY.

RB: Maybe Jackson is the answer or may be he isn‘t, but I definitely will not call this a position of strength. However I can’t say it’s a weakness though until I see the guy play.

Feel free to disagree and add your own positions that you think need to be upgraded for the pack to even think about competing for a championship.

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 08:38 PM
Do we base this off last year's starters and their play ? If we do here's my wishlist, and I'll try to be conservative with it

We need upgrades at

WR
TE (too obvious)
RB (maybe Jackson will be the guy,maybe not)
S
OG (I'm not convinced Spitz is the guy there)
CB (definitely need depth there)

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I think if we go for a WR in FA next year, it has to be a very good player. We don't need anymore "just a guys."

However, we could use 3 more Ruvell Martins. But then again, who couldn't? :wink:

4and12to12and4
07-19-2007, 09:39 PM
I disagree about our receiving core. I think they are better than we give them credit for. Martin and Holiday were GREAT in that last game against the Bears, plus with Driver and Jennings, if the rookie can contribute at all and we can get KRob on the field, I think this will end up being a strength on this team.

I also like Manuel more than most here. He had to learn a new scheme, and did tend to play the run too much, giving up the middle of the field, but with a year into the system, and out LB's being more experienced and helping with the short routes, I think we will be fine there too.

My two biggest concerns are whether the offensive line is talented enough to go to the next level this year, now that they will be playing with more instinct and confidence now that they are accustomed to the NFL and our scheme now. The second concern is an obvious one. Running Back. So, much of out success is whether Jackson turns into an Addai type player who can fit in and contribute right away. He seems to have the physical skills, I just wonder if he is going to "get" the scheme and be able to cut back with the style of running he needs to get used to, with the backside cutblocking giving him the cutback opportunities. If our o-line plays average to well, and our rb's are successful, our receivers are going to have BIG years. The defense could use a bit more pressure, but we are pretty solid there, and actually very good against the run. All in all, if this team stays healthy (huge if) I think we will surprise a lot of people. We lost many real close games last year, while our offensive line stunk to high heavens. We almost beat the Saints, and many other really good teams. I have a feeling, we are a team to be reckoned with. The MAJOR part that has to happen is Harris and Woodson HAVE to stay healthy, not lose a step, and carry most of the plays. If they can continue to shut down opponents, and our run defense continues to improve, we wil have a damn good defense. For sure in the top ten, maybe top five. Brett, if the offensive line keep their shit together, will IMO have a banner year. The tight end position is the weakest posiion on the team. I just think that Bubba's age has caught up with him and he will be a nonfactor. I can't believe TT didn't make a move in this category. It is so important in our offensive scheme, and in the redzone. But maybe Holiday a Martin will come into their own even more and provide a great threat insiide the twenty. OK, im out of homer mode.

Bretsky
07-19-2007, 10:01 PM
The Bears game was one game; Holliday showed some flashes of competency.
Martin could be OK but OK is his upside. Both are ideal #5 guys who don't even make some rosters in the NFL.

But if Driver goes down we are absolutely, 100% screwed with our WR depth
And probably with Jennings too.

Once he got hurt last year we witnessed how consistently effective the other just a guys performed. I'd hope one of the rookies ends up being the #3.

Either way we are painfully thin there if the injury bug strikes.

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I'll wait to see how Jennings and the other rookies perform this year to judge how dire our need for a WR is.

packrulz
07-20-2007, 06:36 AM
The special teams the last several years have sucked. Kick returns, punt returns, punts, kick offs, clutch field goals, all need improvement. I don't want Woodson returning kicks either, he's good but I don't want him to get hurt returning punts. The blocking on the wedge has been terrible.

Fritz
07-20-2007, 07:57 AM
Tight end is or appears to be the most obvious.

Running back - we'll have to wait and see how the Jackson/Morency thing works, but you can't say the Packers are all set, that's for sure.

Same with receivers, though I think they will need another speed/playmaker if Clowney doesn't develop - and by all accounts he's at least a year, probably two, away.

Corner - yes, the Pack needs to get some talent there to be ready for the Harris/Woodson move to the seniors' village sometime in the next couple of years.

Those would seem to be the big ones. I'm okay with the safeties, depending on how Underwood comes back and Bigby/Culver develop.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-20-2007, 08:38 AM
Do we base this off last year's starters and their play ? If we do here's my wishlist, and I'll try to be conservative with it

We need upgrades at

WR
TE (too obvious)
RB (maybe Jackson will be the guy,maybe not)
S
OG (I'm not convinced Spitz is the guy there)
CB (definitely need depth there)

Really you can base it however you want. When I did mine I was thinking about what the team needs to compete for a championship. I know its kind of hard to do with some many young guys on the team, but after looking at the major holes on the team I think we many only be like three or four good players away. I can't wait to see Wist's list. :P

edit: B do you think spitz is more suited at center or do you think he needs to do replaced all together?

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-20-2007, 08:41 AM
The special teams the last several years have sucked. Kick returns, punt returns, punts, kick offs, clutch field goals, all need improvement. I don't want Woodson returning kicks either, he's good but I don't want him to get hurt returning punts. The blocking on the wedge has been terrible.

Yes, special teams is definitely a weakness. Like you said we have to improve in basically all phases, punt coverage, punt return. Etc.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM
I'd have to go with RB. At least that is our position with the biggest question mark. Their success will be dependent upon a major improvement of the OL and not needing the TE's held back to block.

wist43
07-20-2007, 10:25 AM
Depends on what type of time frame you put on it, and since no one in here is delusional enough to think they'll compete for a championship this year or next, I assume we have to be looking at least 3 years out.

If we're looking to the '09 season as being our first reasonable shot at being competitive for a championship, I think the biggest weakness/question mark has to be Quarterback.

Can't see Favre playing another 3 years, but even if he does, who's to say what his effectiveness would be at that point??? And of course there are all of the questions surrounding Rodgers.

Beyond that, by the '09 season, Harris will be what??? 34??? Woodson, Clifton, Tauscher, KGB and Driver will all be considered pretty long in the tooth by that point. So, taking into consideration that they are already woefully thin - at least in terms of developmental prospects - at CB, CB has to be considered a major weakness.

Then there are the obvious question marks at numerous positions in the here and now, and if it's a weakness now, it has to be on the list until it's addressed - we have no idea what we have at RB and WR; and while everyone gushs about the OL, all they've proven is that they can block 4 with 7 semi-okay - they've proven absolutely nothing.

Then there's "special teams" - using the term loosely in conjunction with the Packers... worst ST's in the league - statistically the worst in the league. No glass is "half-empty", doom and gloomism coloring this reality. Worst in the league.

The only thing that gives them a chance week-in, and week-out, is Favre... once he's gone, it could be an awful long time b/4 this team is even close to being competitive enough to be talked about in championship terms.

wist43
07-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Another point to consider is the nature of the title of this thread, and how TT views "weaknesses"; afterall, when you're discussing weaknesses, you're discussing needs, and TT won't go out of his way to address needs.

Some will argue that TT addressed needs by taking Jackson and Jones, but both were considered reaches, and it's doubtful that either has a very high ceiling. Both have the look of "smarter than youism" picks.

No, addressing weaknesses/needs in these situations would have been to move up to get Lynch, or trade for Turner (my preference), and use the remaining 1st or 2nd on a WR. Be it Meachem, Bowe, Rice, whoever... surely one of these guys will be a player - it's TT's job to identify that player, acquire that player, and turn the weakness into a strength.

TT doesn't build that way, however... TT's approach is going to take a long time - a very long time.

Think of this one - Williams walks after this year (logjamming $894 billion at one position), and Pickett will be 30 something and in the last year of his 3 year contract... DT could be considered a "weakness" or "need" going into the '08 draft - especially so if Harrell can't stay healthy.

When does TT get the roster caught up, and have it positioned for a championship??? I've been asking you guys this, and no one has an answer.

PaCkFan_n_MD
07-20-2007, 11:51 AM
Another point to consider is the nature of the title of this thread, and how TT views "weaknesses"; afterall, when you're discussing weaknesses, you're discussing needs, and TT won't go out of his way to address needs.

Some will argue that TT addressed needs by taking Jackson and Jones, but both were considered reaches, and it's doubtful that either has a very high ceiling. Both have the look of "smarter than youism" picks.

No, addressing weaknesses/needs in these situations would have been to move up to get Lynch, or trade for Turner (my preference), and use the remaining 1st or 2nd on a WR. Be it Meachem, Bowe, Rice, whoever... surely one of these guys will be a player - it's TT's job to identify that player, acquire that player, and turn the weakness into a strength.

TT doesn't build that way, however... TT's approach is going to take a long time - a very long time.

Think of this one - Williams walks after this year (logjamming $894 billion at one position), and Pickett will be 30 something and in the last year of his 3 year contract... DT could be considered a "weakness" or "need" going into the '08 draft - especially so if Harrell can't stay healthy.

When does TT get the roster caught up, and have it positioned for a championship??? I've been asking you guys this, and no one has an answer.

I can't really argue with much of what you said. I only way TT's method works is if he keeps all of our players intact. Since he doesn't sign free agents he better re-sign are own players. If he lets players like williams walk then I agree with you that in a couple years that postion will also become a weakness. I also agree that were not going to compete for a championship for at least another year which makes CB and possibly QB (depending on wether Rodgers is the guy or not) a weakness. Hopefully Rodgers is the guy, or other postions such as Tackle and WR will need even more new players due to our best players their being over 30.

retailguy
07-20-2007, 12:16 PM
I understand all this about "resigning" your own players, but what happens when your draft picks are flops? Where do you get "quality replacements" then? From the next couple of drafts? Does that mean you play with "holes" for a couple seasons? Is this an OK way to build a franchise?

This team has issues on both sides of the ball, and on special teams. I cannot think of a position that could not use better players/depth.

The Leaper
07-20-2007, 12:32 PM
In terms of 2007, there are four glaring weaknesses.

1. TE - we do not have one starting caliber TE on the roster, which usually is not a good sign.

2. FS - we do not have a reliable coverage safety. Both Manual and Collins play better close to the line of scrimmage IMO.

3. RB - we do not have a proven player who is capable of stepping in and being solid in all areas of the game (running, blocking, intangibles) that Ahman Green was.

4. #3/#4 WR - Holliday/Martin/Jones all have glaring weaknesses. I don't think any of these guys are ready to step in this year as a #3 WR that can be counted on to produce consistently...even start occasionally due to injury. Normally, this might not be a concern with 2 reliable starters...but with the glaring lack of strength at TE and RB, it becomes a major concern.

Other areas have concerns as well...depth at LB, CB, OL come to mind, although I think we have enough strength starting at those positions to let the kids develop. Few NFL teams have great depth after their starters...it is a luxury, not a necessity.