PDA

View Full Version : Vick has been dropped.

KYPack
07-19-2007, 10:34 PM
I saw it on the news, but didn't see anything on the net yet.

Nike announced Vick has been dropped as an endorser of their products.

The announcement called it "the first domino".

He'll be playing plenty of dominoes in the can when they lock his ass up.

BallHawk
07-19-2007, 10:37 PM
AirTran also dropped Vick back in May for his "water bottle" incident.

Good to see the companies aren't pulling any punches.

Rastak
07-19-2007, 10:40 PM

I hope the last domino involves a big fat dude in for life later this year and Mr Vick sounding like a pig......sooo iiii sooooo iiiii

What an ass.....

MJZiggy
07-19-2007, 10:54 PM
Though I'd love it if that happened, Ras, what I heard about it watching ESPN tonight was that Nike has suspended the release of a new line of Vick shoes and shirts but the ones that are already out will remain on the shelves...

Harlan Huckleby
07-19-2007, 11:21 PM
a new line of Vick shoes and shirts but the ones that are already out will remain on the shelves...

Do you realize how valuable his clothes are going to become? He may not get any more endorsements, but badasses and badass posers will be snapping-up Vick gear faster than OJ jerseys.

Brandon494
07-19-2007, 11:26 PM

I hope the last domino involves a big fat dude in for life later this year and Mr Vick sounding like a pig......sooo iiii sooooo iiiii

Classy
What an ass.....

MJZiggy
07-19-2007, 11:29 PM
Also while watching ESPN, they said that Vick apologized for doing it. Like he's not just doing that to appease the court of publc opinion... :roll:

CaliforniaCheez
07-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Nike sure waited after defending him for a very long time.

When he was dropped did he bounce??

RashanGary
07-20-2007, 06:20 AM
Do you realize how valuable his clothes are going to become? He may not get any more endorsements, but badasses and badass posers will be snapping-up Vick gear faster than OJ jerseys.

I was thinking the same thing. Vick is the poster boy for everything Ghetto right now.

Rastak
07-20-2007, 06:22 AM

Classy
What an ass.....

For a guy who claims to not care you sure show up alot in Vick threads....

say, are you Clinton Portis?

packinpatland
07-20-2007, 06:26 AM
a new line of Vick shoes and shirts but the ones that are already out will remain on the shelves...

I'm just hoping that there are alot less of them out there, then the good decent folks.

KYPack
07-20-2007, 08:07 AM

The other dominoes are starting to fall. On sports talk radio this AM, the whole show was about Vick from 7AM on. A guy from PETA was on there & for a PETA guy, he was sharp as a tack. PETA ain't my thing, but this guy had his act together. PETA is doing a big Anti-Vick rally in NY or Washington today (that wasn't clear) and they are after Vick's ass.

The host had a little legal research on the case and said that Vick would get a 6 year bit in Federal Prison at the MINIMUM.

Things are looking grim for this little asshole.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 08:14 AM
KY, what news source announced that Nike officially dropped him? CNN said something about Nike will wait until Vick has had his fair process like every citizen is allowed. Ok, I obviously didn't get the darn quote right, but I'm just wondering !!

I would think that Nike has to be careful on this or out comes Jesse Jackson and Rev Al Shapton throwing out the race card. At least before he is officially charged.

KYPack
07-20-2007, 08:24 AM
KY, what news source announced that Nike officially dropped him? CNN said something about Nike will wait until Vick has had his fair process like every citizen is allowed. Ok, I obviously didn't get the darn quote right, but I'm just wondering !!

I would think that Nike has to be careful on this or out comes Jesse Jackson and Rev Al Shapton throwing out the race card. At least before he is officially charged.

Agreed.

It was on a local channel that is an ABC affiliate. This is the most conservative channel, so I assume it's right. They were conclusive about Nike making the move. Haven't seen a confirm on the net yet.

LL2
07-20-2007, 08:25 AM
What would you do if you were Arthur Black the owner of the Falcons? The guy gave Vick the largest contract at the time a couple years ago, and has been a big supporter. Do you bench him and prevent him from the facilties but still pay him or let him play and practice until the court finds him guilty or not guilty? I'd probably bench him, but the Falcons are screwed. I bet they regret trading Schaub now.

MJZiggy
07-20-2007, 08:36 AM

Al Sharpton has already joined with PETA in drafting letters to NFL league brass (including Goodell) condemning dogfighting and asking for punishment. The race card might come from Jackson (I doubt it) but it's surely not coming from Sharpton.

KYPack
07-20-2007, 08:39 AM

Agreed.

It was on a local channel that is an ABC affiliate. This is the most conservative channel, so I assume it's right. They were conclusive about Nike making the move. Haven't seen a confirm on the net yet.

Maybe the locals got it wrong. They didn't drop all of Vick's products, just his new shoe. Hopefully, they drop "the other shoe" with Vick in it!

By TIM TUCKER
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution

Published on: 07/20/07

The other shoe dropped in the Michael Vick case Thursday.

Two days after the Falcons quarterback was indicted on federal dogfighting charges, athletic shoe giant Nike said it is suspending the release of its latest product bearing his name, the Zoom Vick V shoe that had been scheduled to hit retail stores next month.

Other Michael Vick model shoes, as the Zoom II worn by Vick a few seasons ago, will continue to be part of Nike's product line, but release of the latest model has been suspended.

Nike said in a statement that it is "concerned by the serious and highly disturbing allegations" against Vick and considers "any cruelty to animals inhumane and abhorrent."

Vick has had an endorsement deal with Nike since entering the NFL, and the company said it isn't terminating that contract because Vick "should be afforded the same due process as any citizen."

The company does not plan to pull other shoes and shirts bearing Vick's name from the market.

Nike officials declined further comment.

The Zoom Vick V, Nike's fifth Vick signature shoe, had been scheduled to go on sale Aug. 23 for a retail price of $100.

David Carter, executive director of the sports business institute at the University of Southern California, said the decision to suspend release of the shoe "surprises me a little bit" because Nike "traditionally has stuck with troubled athletes."

Said Carter: "This is a pretty bold statement" from Nike.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 08:40 AM
What would you do if you were Arthur Black the owner of the Falcons? The guy gave Vick the largest contract at the time a couple years ago, and has been a big supporter. Do you bench him and prevent him from the facilties but still pay him or let him play and practice until the court finds him guilty or not guilty? I'd probably bench him, but the Falcons are screwed. I bet they regret trading Schaub now.

Ya know, it's a tough call. Like I just mentioned before, people are so quick to throw out the race card for any reason possible and I think if the Falcons cut or bench him before he is officially charged - out comes Jackson and Sharpton flapping their traps. To play the politically correct game, I say treat him as usual and let him practice until the evidence presents itself. Who knows, maybe Vick will realize that his career is over and will retire before facing what will happen to him in the NFL. Although, what the NFL will do to him should be the least of his worries right now.

Scott Campbell
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM
What would you do if you were Arthur Black the owner of the Falcons?

I'd donate some money to the local humane scociety. Then I'd cut the xxxxer.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 08:42 AM

Al Sharpton has already joined with PETA in drafting letters to NFL league brass (including Goodell) condemning dogfighting and asking for punishment. The race card might come from Jackson (I doubt it) but it's surely not coming from Sharpton.

For the first time ever, PETA has a chance to make itself useful in this ordeal! Ya know, this case goes much further than just the dogfighting. It's the torture involved that really makes my stomach turn.

Scott Campbell
07-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Those guys would never attach themselves to an issue that has no public support.

oregonpackfan
07-20-2007, 04:40 PM
KY, (I posted this response in another related thread as well)

Have you heard something I have not heard? What I do know is that Nike held off releasing the $100 Zoom Vick V shoe which was supposed to be released August 23rd. Witholding this specially developed shoe is costing the company quite a bit. According to The Oregonian, Nike was projecting to sell 200,000 pairs of those shoes.

Nike is also pulling off the shelves the Vike "Hero" T-shirt sold at its commerical outlets.

I have not heard if Nike has officially dropped Vick altogether as a sponsor.

Supposedly, there was a planned demonstration at Nike Headquarters in Beaverton(just west of Portland) at 1:00 p.m.PST today. I do not know if that demonstration took place or what happened.

I live just 7 miles from Nike. It would be interesting if you heard something across the country before I did. With modern communication, it can happen!

KYPack
07-20-2007, 05:22 PM

Have you heard something I have not heard? What I do know is that Nike held off releasing the $100 Zoom Vick V shoe which was supposed to be released August 23rd. Witholding this specially developed shoe is costing the company quite a bit. According to The Oregonian, Nike was projecting to sell 200,000 pairs of those shoes.

Nike is also pulling off the shelves the Vike "Hero" T-shirt sold at its commerical outlets.

Supposedly, there was a planned demonstration at Nike Headquarters in Beaverton(just west of Portland) at 1:00 p.m.PST today. I do not know if that demonstration took place or what happened.

I live just 7 miles from Nike. It would be interesting if you heard something across the country before I did. With modern communication, it can happen!

Nah. I got my stuff from a local TV station. They ran the story with a crawl that said "Nike drops Vick". The locals (here) interpreted the facts you cite with that headline. I checked the net and posted this thread

That headline doesn't exactly fit the story, but it was good enuff for my local station. you have the right scoop, but I do think it won't be too long before Vick is officially off Nike's christmas card list.

Keep us informed OPF.

Can you get me a deal on those overpriced kicks?

Rastak
07-20-2007, 06:15 PM

Hey, if you get bored make up a sign and march around in front of Nike indicating it's bad business to have an asshole as a spokesman....

I'll send you a free beer!

:wink:

4and12to12and4
07-20-2007, 06:18 PM
Wow, there's a lot of hatred for Mr. Vick in this thread. What's up with that? Why do so many of you dislike him so much. Is this because he has been SOOOO overrated all these years? Well, one thing for sure, if Vince Young continues his success in the coming years, Vick will no longer be a household name anymore. I believe this is his last year with the Falcons. In fact, IMO, he will be benched mid-season. He has a strong arm, but has horrible instincts as to whether to run or pass, and has serious issues with accuracy. One throw, he'll thread the needle between three defenders, the next throw will be ten yards away from intended receiver. I believe Vince Young will begin to steal the spotlight from Mr. Vick this year, and when he becomes an ex-falcon at the end of the season, will then become a second-string wanderer. His autobiography will be similar to Kordell Stewarts. JMHO.

Rastak
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
Wow, there's a lot of hatred for Mr. Vick in this thread. What's up with that? Why do so many of you dislike him so much. Is this because he has been SOOOO overrated all these years?

Dude, do you honestly believe the hatred has one once to do with football?

Do you know what he's been up to for the last 6 or 7 years?

Football is irrelevent.

mraynrand
07-20-2007, 06:23 PM
I'm guessing they won't be playing "Who let the dogs out" at Falcons games this year. Vick should have stuck with cock fighting. People don't like to see dogs abused, but they can deal with abused cocks.

I'm going to a party tonight and I'm certain we'll all condemn Vick as we eat our delicious imported pate. Ciao!

cheesner
07-20-2007, 06:30 PM
Wow, there's a lot of hatred for Mr. Vick in this thread. What's up with that?
Pick up a newspaper. Listen to a radio. Or just read this thread. Or, I'll just tell you. Vick was indicted on charges that he was heavily involved in dog fighting. This is generally considered by most Americans as despicable.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 07:57 PM
Wow, there's a lot of hatred for Mr. Vick in this thread. What's up with that? Why do so many of you dislike him so much. Is this because he has been SOOOO overrated all these years?

Football is irrelevent.

My thoughts exactly. It's worse than the dog fighting, too. It's how they tortured the dogs that lost. Just absolutely disgusting. I hope Vick goes to prison and someone gives him the proper use of a rape stand.

Rastak
07-20-2007, 08:16 PM

Football is irrelevent.

My thoughts exactly. It's worse than the dog fighting, too. It's how they tortured the dogs that lost. Just absolutely disgusting. I hope Vick goes to prison and someone gives him the proper use of a rape stand.

Amen sister.....

oregonpackfan
07-20-2007, 08:39 PM
The local 6:00 p.m. news showed about 200 protestors in front of the Nike Headquarters carrying placards of abused fighting dogs. Most of the protestors were women.

No one particular group was represented. Most of them identified themselves as "Concerned citizens" though reps of the local Humane Society were present.

In so many words, a spokesperson for Nike stated that the company would give Michael Vick his "Due process" before making a decision about his endorsement status.

Scott Campbell
07-20-2007, 09:21 PM
The local 6:00 p.m. news showed about 200 protestors in front of the Nike Headquarters carrying placards of abused fighting dogs. Most of the protestors were women.

No one particular group was represented. Most of them identified themselves as "Concerned citizens" though reps of the local Humane Society were present.

In so many words, a spokesperson for Nike stated that the company would give Michael Vick his "Due process" before making a decision about his endorsement status.

Fair enough. But I think the protestors should wait until the due process is complete to continue purchasing Nike products.

RashanGary
07-20-2007, 09:30 PM
I have to get a new pair of shoes. I'm going to make it a point not to get Nike although I was probably going to get Asics anyway. I hope Asics isn't owned by Nike because if that is the case, I'll get some Reboks.

Joemailman
07-20-2007, 09:40 PM

Football is irrelevent.

Amen sister.....

GBRulz is a nun?! :shock:

oregonpackfan
07-20-2007, 10:24 PM
I have to get a new pair of shoes. I'm going to make it a point not to get Nike although I was probably going to get Asics anyway. I hope Asics isn't owned by Nike because if that is the case, I'll get some Reboks.

Nike does not own Asics. It does own Converse and Cole Hahn and a couple other smaller brands.

GBRulz
07-21-2007, 08:12 AM

Yes, I have a couple bad habits. :rs:

oregonpackfan
07-21-2007, 09:46 AM

Yes, I have a couple bad habits. :rs:

OOOOooooooooo, that was a bad pun, GBRulz.

I went to a Catholic Grade 1-8 School taught by Franciscan Nuns. Their habits completely clothed them to the extent that only their hands and faces were exposed.

We used to speculate if they had shaved the hair off their heads because we could not even see their temples.

When we boys were getting "Heavy into puberty" around 7th grade, we gossiped about rumors than nuns had their breasts surgically removed once they entered the convent(all nuns appeared flat as Kansas to us).

Some of the other speculations are not printable in this "Family Friendly" forum. It is amazing what the flow of testosterone will do to well-mannered altar boys, including me--twice recipient of the "Altar Boy of The Month" award. If the nuns only knew... :twisted:

Scott Campbell
07-21-2007, 10:11 AM
It is amazing what the flow of testosterone will do to well-mannered altar boys, including me--twice recipient of the "Altar Boy of The Month" award. If the nuns only knew... :twisted:

Just hope the priests weren't looking at you alter boys, the way you were looking at the nuns. I'm told at some parishes (especially in Boston), boys were required to go the extra mile to earn "Altar Boy of The Month".

:shock:

mraynrand
07-21-2007, 11:53 AM
I hope Vick goes to prison and someone gives him the proper use of a rape stand.

And this is more elevated than torturing dogs? If Vick is guilty of what is reported, he needs to be punished (imprisonment) and then he probably needs some psychiatric care as well. Does he need to be tortured and abused? Who would actually want that? Wouldn't someone who wants that be as bad or worse than those that want to torture dogs? If not, why not?

MJZiggy
07-21-2007, 01:10 PM
It is amazing what the flow of testosterone will do to well-mannered altar boys, including me--twice recipient of the "Altar Boy of The Month" award. If the nuns only knew... :twisted:

Just hope the priests weren't looking at you alter boys, the way you were looking at the nuns. I'm told at some parishes (especially in Boston), boys were required to go the extra mile to earn "Altar Boy of The Month".

Man, has this thread drifted off topic...!

Scott Campbell
07-21-2007, 01:26 PM

Amen sister.....

GrnBay007
07-21-2007, 01:28 PM

Amen sister.....

Another Nun??? :shock:

Scott Campbell
07-21-2007, 01:30 PM

:wink:

Bretsky
07-21-2007, 01:37 PM

Amen sister.....

PACKERRAT NUNS GONE BAD

Starring Ziggy and 07 and GBM :lol:

Directed by Bretsky

Scott Campbell
07-21-2007, 01:40 PM
Directed by Bretsky

How come your movies never last longer than a Budweiser commercial?

:lol:

Bretsky
07-21-2007, 01:50 PM
Directed by Bretsky

How come your movies never last longer than a Budweiser commercial?

:lol:

the secret is out; I thought anything over five seconds was a bonus :lol:

MJZiggy
07-21-2007, 02:02 PM

Amen sister.....

Not according to my behavior last night... :oops: :P

Scott Campbell
07-21-2007, 02:08 PM
Not according to my behavior last night... :oops: :P

So you can fess up, or we can speculate. Your choice.

Joemailman
07-21-2007, 08:24 PM
:jack: Oops! :oops:

MJZiggy
07-21-2007, 08:34 PM
Right then. Ahem. VICK SUCKS and if he ever plays another down in the NFL, I hope he is booed right out of every stadium he enters. (and who deleted my last post???)