PDA

View Full Version : Packers settle with Jones

KYPack
07-20-2007, 08:28 AM
This from the Fond Du lac Reporter:

Packers reach tentative settlement with Jones

Gannett Wisconsin Newspaper

"The Green Bay Packers have reached a tentative financial settlement with former team president John Jones and could announce the agreement as early as this afternoon, according to sources familiar with the situation.

Acting president and CEO Bob Harlan and the team’s executive committee told the club’s 45-person board of directors in a 2½-hour meeting Wednesday afternoon that the Packers were about to settle with Jones, who was placed on administrative leave on May 26, only four days before he was to succeed Harlan as the team’s chairman.

Jones had a three-year contract, and it’s believed the Packers will pay him in full. A source has said his salary was in the range of $900,000 a year.

The Packers are expected to issue a statement later today. In that statement, Jones is expected to cite health reasons for his departure.

The team will immediately begin its search for a new chairman. It has set up a search committee made up of the seven members of the executive committee plus a handful of members of the board of directors.

It also has hired an executive search firm to help identify and screen candidates from around the NFL. "

2.7 million for getting bounced and humiliated?

I'll take it.

Word seeping out of GB is that Jones got snotty with people at all levels of the organization. He just didn't seem like "Packer People".

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 08:51 AM
Word seeping out of GB is that Jones got snotty with people at all levels of the organization. He just didn't seem like "Packer People".

I have heard so many stories as to what really happened. The most bizarre of them being that Jones was caught having an online affair with a young girl. That supposedly is being covered up between the Packers and the Appleton PD. Personally, I think that is a little extreme, but like I said, the stories are certainly plentiful around here about what really happened!

KYPack
07-20-2007, 08:58 AM

I have heard so many stories as to what really happened. The most bizarre of them being that Jones was caught having an online affair with a young girl. That supposedly is being covered up between the Packers and the Appleton PD. Personally, I think that is a little extreme, but like I said, the stories are certainly plentiful around here about what really happened!

OK, GBM.

Yer our resident local Yokel.

Dish, Honey.

it's time for the dirt.

Just post 'em here as "vicious rumors" and give us the scoop.

Way I heard it, when confronted by a member of the pack Exec Council about whatever the bad stuff was, Jones was rude and brusque. Harlan was summoned and the move was made. There were early rumors of office hijinks with a female, but those were quashed.

So post all the crap for us Michele.

rpiotr01
07-20-2007, 08:59 AM
I think Jones was REALLY the mastermind behind Bad Newz Kennels, and sympathetic Packer fans at the federal level set up Mike Vick as pay back for giving the Pack their first home playoff loss...

Now they're covering Jones' behind.

Hey, you heard it here first... :wink:

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 04:17 PM
ok, because KY's enquiring mind wants to know.... :wink:

Again, this is simply one of the many rumors going around BUT the story is that an Appleton Police Officer responded to a complaint about a girl being solicited for sex on the internet and when they tracked down to see who was on the other side, it was John Jones. See, this apparently happened in Appleton, but I'm pretty sure he lives in GB, which makes this story total BS.

But anyhow, once they found out, an agreement was reached between the Appleton PD and the GB Packers to keep this out of the press due to the sensitivity of the incident. The Packers didn't want their front office with this label and Jones didn't want his family to have to go through this.

Again... a RUMOR !

Have also heard what alot of people have already been saying, which is that Jones butted heads with TT. Harlan has a very hands off approach with his GM. He trusts the people under him and gives them total control. Apparently, Jones was very hands on and tried to control too many aspects of what was going on. yes, a rumor.

In a small city like GB, rumors of course run wild. I think the whole city was convinced at one time that Chmura was having an affair with his baby sitter and got her pregnant. If I were not good friends with the brother of the baby sitter, I might have believed that one, too. However, that story was 100% false.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 04:38 PM
Well, the local news just announced that it's official. Jones is no longer with the Packers.

Details of the financial settlement were not disclosed. Basically, the Packers wouldn't comment on anything.

I'm just glad to put it behind and now they can move on to find the next team Pres

Freak Out
07-20-2007, 04:43 PM
Talk about a golden parachute! WTF? Health reasons? He fucked up somehow....lied on his resume or something. Oh well.....whats a 3 million payout anyway.

Scott Campbell
07-20-2007, 04:51 PM
ok, because KY's enquiring mind wants to know.... :wink:

Mmmmmm............juicy gossip.........

KYPack
07-20-2007, 05:12 PM
Talk about a golden parachute! WTF? Health reasons? He fucked up somehow....lied on his resume or something. Oh well.....whats a 3 million anyway.

I believe the settlement is 1.5 million or so.

He was a year & a half into his CEO contract and will be paid the balance.
Could be wrong, but I think that's the deal.

My big source is my nephew and he's just citing rumors. Nothing as sweet as GBM's good dish, but this seems to be the chain.

Jones was creating static wherever he put his fat little hands. Harlan is a nice guy, quiet, and very down home in that Wisconsin manner we all know & love.

Jones? Words like prick, brusque, & asshole crop up when people describe the bedside manner of one John Jones. Jones was creating mini-fires with many long timers with his rude, bull in a china shop act. People who had Harlan and other big shots ears were complaining about Jones. Harlan was urging everybody to be patient & give the boy time to grow into the new big gig.

Several other sets of feathers were ruffled when a major flap happened. What it was is still grist for the rumor mill. Jones, when confronted with the latest ( & biggest of a series of things) barked at a member of the exec council. This news traveled back to Harlan with the speed of light & changed everything. Harlan realized that Jones not only wasn't CEO material, he might not be head janitor material.

So what happened happened.

If there are no lawsuits leveled at Lombardi Ave, the true deal might never be known.

Tis time to move on.

I'd still like to know what JJ did. Sounds like it would make a good story.

Thanks GBM, report back immediately when ya get a full report.

GBRulz
07-20-2007, 08:04 PM
See, I'm not sure that I buy the whole "he mistreated people" concept. The guy has been in upper management with the Packers for many years and there never seemed to be a problem. He's been groomed along for what, 8 years now? Suddenly he mistreats and doesn't get along with people? I dunno... I just think there was an incident, either criminally or a bad case of ethics along the way that the Packers want to keep under the rug.

I'm as curious as anyone else though, that's for sure! I'll def keep my ears open for the story though! Or A story, lol.