PDA

View Full Version : Some Kool Aide for the OL

Bretsky
07-22-2007, 01:29 AM
Green Bay - Starting with Scott Wells in the seventh round of the 2004 draft, the Green Bay Packers have selected four, perhaps five, competent offensive linemen. Because of those decisions, the worst should be over for a unit that hit bottom in 2005.

"I think it is, yes," said James Campen, the team's assistant offensive line coach under Larry Beightol and Joe Philbin the last three years who was promoted to the No. 1 job in January.

"Pre-draft last year, we didn't have numbers. And certainly that draft class turned out to be pretty good. There's still much, much improvement to be made. We're still probably the youngest line in football. But I really think it will be a good group."

In fact, Campen said he saw no reason why, in time, this line couldn't become as effective as the Chad Clifton-Mike Wahle-Mike Flanagan-Marco Rivera-Mark Tauscher configuration that was the foundation of 46 victories from 2001-'04.

Left guard Daryn Colledge often has been compared to Wahle on the basis of his size and athleticism, and right guard Jason Spitz has some of the same muscle and grit that were at the core of Rivera's Pro Bowl career.

Though ranked by division scouts in late December as the fourth-best center in the NFC North, Wells is held in much higher regard by the Packers.

Add tackle-guards Tony Moll, who followed Colledge and Spitz in the '06 draft class, and rookie Allen Barbre, a fourth-round choice coming off an impressive spring, and the Packers have five players 26 and younger they are confident can play.

"As a group, they will tell you they haven't arrived," Campen said. "By any means. They're dedicated sons of a gun. It's almost getting back to. . . they're bonding. They lift together, do things together. The improvements the group made last year with each game, we expect that to carry over. We want to hit training camp from a different expectation standpoint."

Clifton, for once not rehabilitating from off-season surgery, is pain-free and looking more like a player in the middle of his career than near the end. He's bullet-proof as a pass blocker and, on a line that wasn't very good at the point of attack, probably the main reason the team ran left so much in '06.

Now Clifton needs to become much better on his back-side cut blocks, the unnatural but critical element of the zone-running scheme that returns largely unchanged from its rocky debut in Green Bay.

"He has had his best off-season in my four years here," Campen said. "He feels terrific."

Tauscher, with 96 starts compared to Clifton's 100 in their seven seasons, was a more effective cut-blocker than his line-mate but left something to be desired straight-ahead. Before the Packers consider replacing Tauscher, however, they should remember that he has allowed merely 12 sacks in his career.

"Very good pass protector," Campen said. "He just wills it that he's just not going to get beat. He's 'Steady Eddie.' As smart a football player as anyone in that room."

In Pro Football Weekly's annual summer rankings of players, Wells wasn't included among the top 21 centers. The Packers disagree, saying he's one of the best.

"What we're asking him to do in this scheme, what we run and how we do things, for me, I wouldn't want another center," Campen said. "People say he's just a seventh-round pick. Well, this kid can play."

From sorting out fronts and blitzes to anchoring against bulk to releasing quickly on linebackers, the Packers say the squatty Wells performs with intelligence, strength and heart.

"He has a tremendous desire to win every snap," said Campen, who played center for the Packers from 1990-'93. "Sometimes he will get a little overaggressive, and we've tempered that a bit. He's a consummate pro."

Colledge had a better year than Spitz and Spitz had a better year than Moll, who made five starts at both right guard and right tackle. But together with Barbre, it's tough to say what the pecking order will be in two months, let alone in a year or two.

Benched after the exhibition opener, Colledge regained his job due to injury in Week 2 and never gave it back. The Packers did keep in more blockers than is desirable to help their rookie guards, but the fact remains that Colledge didn't allow a sack in 14 starts inside.

"Very savvy football player at this point of his career," Campen said. "Good fundamentals. Good hand placement. He does need to improve his strength, and he has done that this off-season. Understands commitment and what it takes to win."

Spitz came in as the strongest and most ready-to-play of the three rookies. A modest athlete, Spitz is athletic enough to be a long-term answer, according to Campen.

"He's a jewel to coach," he said. "He's a funny kid that brings a great camaraderie to the O-line. He's a grinder. He needs to improve on his flexibility and movement skills."

Moll, a tight end until spring 2006, accomplished much, much more than expected. He will open camp at right tackle but has four-position versatility. He has made much-needed strength gains.

"He's a kid that will not back down from anybody, even if it's a 10-time Pro Bowler," Campen said. "He's a mauler. He's got up-side."

Barbre was a left tackle at the Division II level and could eventually succeed Clifton, but for now he will learn how to play guard on the left side. Upon first glance, Campen isn't ready to categorize him as developmental.

"I think he could help us this year," he said. "Absolutely. Should be a good football player. He finishes everything. Very fast and very explosive. He has football mentality."

Three center-guard types competing to back up Wells are Tony Palmer, Junius Coston and Tyson Walter. Palmer underwent arthroscopic knee surgery in mid-January and couldn't practice this spring but should be OK when practice starts. Coston is another top athlete who hasn't been competitive enough or skilled enough to see the field. Walter is an insurance policy.

Of the 14 linemen, all but two were with the Packers in some capacity last year. Plus, every lineman that played a regular-season snap in '06 returns.

"I don't think there's a kid that we're going to camp with that can't play in the NFL," Campen said. "Are we better than last year? Absolutely."

the_idle_threat
07-22-2007, 01:48 AM
Moll, a tight end until spring 2006,

:?: :?: :?:

the_idle_threat
07-22-2007, 01:50 AM
I like the guys we have, and with time to gel they'll be a good unit, IMO. I just hope they hit the ground running in week 1.

RashanGary
07-22-2007, 07:03 AM
Campen on this years unit vs last years, "Are we better than last year? Absolutely."

At TC, I'm going to watch the Oline, Dline and because I'm watching that, I'll also be paying attn to the running game. The things I'm looking for are:

1. How does Harrell look compared to Williams and Pickett?
Why does this matter? Because if Harrell looks equal to or better than the guys we already have it shows that he will be a key piece in our Dline rotation. Also, if he plays better or equal to good NFL vets in his rookie year it is a sign of bigger things to come

2. Can the interior lineman hold their own against our tough interior Dline?
Why does this matter? Because if our interior line opens up holes and pass protects against Pickett, Williams and Harrell it means they can open up holes on Sunday and that means we'll have a running game as well as the ability to send more out on routes in pass plays.

Right now I'm giving a preliminary 9-7. If the interior Oline gets shredded by our D-line then I will drop that significantly. If our Oline is very good against this group, I'll keep it the same or raise it. This is the biggest unknown and most important factor in our up coming season, IMO. It will be fun to watch.

Fred's Slacks
07-22-2007, 08:34 AM
Couldn't agree more JH. Theres alot of talk about the S, RB, TE and WR positions, but the key to this season is the OL. We need to see that whole group take a big step forward. If we do, we should have an effective offsense. If we don't, it won't matter who we have at the skill positions, we're going to struggle to put points on the board again.

The good news is we have a lot of reasons to be optimistic about it. First, they are a young unit who now has an entire season together under their belt. Second they are in their second year in the same system with (pretty much) the same coaches. Third, they all have the ability to be effective in this system. And finally they all seem to be dedicated and have put in alot of work this offseason. Hopefully that's enough. I can't wait to find out.

4and12to12and4
07-22-2007, 04:33 PM
Well, I don't agree with many things that TT does, but what I love is that he seems to choose his o-lineman not just based on stats, but rather their grit and attitude. We have a lot of young players who play pissed off, and attitude is very important in your linemen. So, I believe these young guys, knowing the scheme now, and being able to play more instinctively will really come together. My biggest concern is actually the ends. They are just too old and there is a good chance that they will both miss substantial time on the field this year. This is where our young guys HAVE to do a MUCH better job replacing them out there. I believe that Colledge will end up being our end. Hopefully Barbre will impress out there too, because the two old guys are on there way out.

ND72
07-22-2007, 04:46 PM
I think our OL is pretty solid. We have our starting 5, and we've gotten a bit of depth as well. I owuld like to see us starting drafting/looking towards our future at LT/RT....I think Barbre will become a starter, which mean what do we do with Spitz/Colledge? Colledge can move to Tackle, but he's turning into a very solid Guard. Spitz got worse as the year went on, which is to be expected of a Rookie, but Colledge kept getting better. Spitz is more of a mauler, while Colledge is a technique guy. Barbre is considered a combination of the 2. I think Moll is a good backup, but nothing more.

RashanGary
07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
I think Moll is a good backup, but nothing more.

I don't know if I agree ND. Moll played the worste of the three but he had no buisness starting games at OG last year. He was a TE who bulked up really fast. He had almost no strength in relation to what most lineman in the NFL have. If he gets a lot stronger he might turn out to be a real gem.

LL2
07-22-2007, 04:50 PM
Well, some in the national media think someone on OL is a top ten player to watch for in the league.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7011378

I hope the OL is a strength. The will help the entire offense.

privatepacker
07-23-2007, 07:53 AM
I think for the first time in many years we have some talent upfront but talent backing them up as well. Something we missed in the Sherman years.

retailguy
07-23-2007, 08:16 AM
I think for the first time in many years we have some talent upfront but talent backing them up as well. Something we missed in the Sherman years.

Ummm.... Sherman had one of the most talented offensive lines in the Leauge in 2002 and 2003 and 2004. They were ranked 1 or 2 with Kansas City. You can knock the backup depth perhaps, but the starters? Even the most ardent Sherman detractor wouldn't try that.

MJZiggy
07-23-2007, 08:18 AM
I thought that's what he was saying, that we have talent backing up the OL...???

Zool
07-23-2007, 08:41 AM
Seconded. He's saying there's depth that wasn't there under previous regimes.

TopHat
07-23-2007, 08:49 AM
Well written and well said. The best story from last year that I will never forget is the line given to Moll in his first baptism to the NFL, i.e. "Get out of here kid." And we finally have some depth and versatility too.

Some kuddos to TT for these OL choices. Although their drafft profiles detailed reservations, as a OL unit, one could see their upsides with development.

Now can the offensive rookies have an immmediate impact to help Bret.

wist43
07-23-2007, 10:15 AM
They were pretty bad most of last year... yes, they showed some improvement as the season wore on, and they showed upside, but they have an awful long way to go.

That said, they should be better, of course... and, I'm hopeful that they can be at least average. If they can play to an average level, and not have to max protect all the time, then the offense has a chance to get close to being average.

They're so lacking in skill position weapons that even if the OL plays better, they're still going to struggle to score pts.

Harlan Huckleby
07-23-2007, 12:12 PM

well, not to bust a gasket over this topic, but Sherm probably had better backups than they have now. Kevin Barry, Ruegamer, Wells. I'm not sure who the backups are today that people are creaming their jeans over.

woodbuck27
07-23-2007, 03:49 PM
Well, I don't agree with many things that TT does, but what I love is that he seems to choose his o-lineman not just based on stats, but rather their grit and attitude. We have a lot of young players who play pissed off, and attitude is very important in your linemen. So, I believe these young guys, knowing the scheme now, and being able to play more instinctively will really come together. My biggest concern is actually the ends. They are just too old and there is a good chance that they will both miss substantial time on the field this year. This is where our young guys HAVE to do a MUCH better job replacing them out there. I believe that Colledge will end up being our end. Hopefully Barbre will impress out there too, because the two old guys are on there way out.

I thought that I read recently that LT Chad Clifton is actually healthier (that seemed encouraging) and I've always appreciated the way M. Tauscher plays RT.

The fact remains, that neither OT is getting younger and will wear down and therefore their back-up's have to be prepared.

retailguy
07-23-2007, 06:16 PM

well, not to bust a gasket over this topic, but Sherm probably had better backups than they have now. Kevin Barry, Ruegamer, Wells. I'm not sure who the backups are today that people are creaming their jeans over.

Never thought I'd agree with you Blue dog.... but alas I do. I don't think that today's backups anywhere on the roster are really any better than what Sherman had. Backups are backups. More untested, for sure, better talent, (not so sure, but possible), but better all around? The jury is still out on that one.

wist43
07-24-2007, 06:53 AM
Shermans OL was one of the best in the NFL - IMO, 3 pro bowlers (Wahle, Flannigan, and Taush); Rivera and Clifton were right there as well.

Individually, and as a unit, they were light years better than the mighty midgets - even at RT and LT where we still have the same two players, b/c Taush and Clifton have definitely declined since '03.